Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Poison Mushroom posted:

- Learn the pros and cons of each of your characters.

Donkey
He's the leader of the bunch, you know him well
He's finally back to kick some tail
His Coconut Gun can fire in spurts
If he shoots ya, it's gonna hurt
He's bigger, faster, and stronger too
He's the first member of the DK crew

Tiny

This Kong's got style, so listen up dudes
She can shrink in size, to suit her mood
She's quick and nimble when she needs to be
She can float through the air and climb up trees
If you choose her, you'll not choose wrong
With a skip and a hop, she's one cool Kong

Lanky
He has no style, he has no grace
This Kong has a funny face
He can handstand when he needs to
And stretch his arms out, just for you
Inflate himself just like a balloon
This crazy Kong just digs this tune

Diddy

He's back again and about time too
And this time he's in the mood
He can fly real high with hisjetpack on
With his pistols out, he's one tough Kong
He'll make you smile when he plays his tune
But Kremlings beware 'cause he's after you

Chunky

Finally, he's here for you
It's the last member of the DK crew
This Kong's so strong, it isn't funny
Can make a Kremling cry out for mummy
Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
Makes crushing rocks seem such a breeze
He may move slow, he can't jump high
But this Kong's one hell of a guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Anything for Divinity: Dragon Commander? I'm not seeing anything for it on the wiki.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LawfulWaffle posted:

I had this Unofficial Final Fantasy VII guide from Versus when I was young.

https://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantas...antasy+7+versus

I read the poo poo out of it. I would take it to school in a Ziploc bag so it didn't get damaged. Unfortunately, I was also an idiot child. My teacher confiscated the poster because of Tifa's juggs and an upper classman who I didn't know asked to borrow the guide and I never saw either of them again. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it wasn't so expensive.

al-azad posted:

The "unofficial" guides were the best because they got super deep and nerdy. The Versus guide for Resident Evil 2 contained a bunch of gameshark codes to see unused assets which wouldn't appear on the internet until years later when Unseen64 started cataloging that stuff.

Usually the "official" guides meant Brady or Prima, whomever, were given assets early and a 2 week deadline to release. I remember some games having completely wrong information or maps that changed from beta to final release.

I love a really good high-quality retro game guide. I collect a few of them.

For me the big one as a kid was Ocarina of Time.

The Prima guide is what I got for Christmas I think ("Prima Official Guide" lol, whatever that means), and it was pretty bad with just screenshots in boxes along with text. The maps were just outlines, that gave you an idea but weren't great.

Then there was the real "official" nintendo power guide, which you could tell they had some exclusive access because it had maps that were renders of the zones from way above, outside of the level. Those had the best cover art and some cool layouts.

But the real holy grail was the Versus Books guide, the "perfect guide", which had super slick artwork and amazing custom layouts, and HAND DRAWN ART for every zone. Somebody sketched out every area of the game in immaculate detail and perfect perspective, which was instantly recognizable and way more useful and convenient than the layout maps or the top-down rendered maps. The chapters of the book each matched the part of the quest you were on; when you're doing the forest temple the chapter bookends were green and had the green crest symbol on it, and the backgrounds had a watermark related to the forest temple, amazing stuff.

I have since tracked down all of them so I could compare :v:

Seems like Versus Books were on fire back then, your FF7 guide is the same "perfect guide" as my Ocarina one. Probably the same people made both.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 20, 2016

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

LawfulWaffle posted:

I had this Unofficial Final Fantasy VII guide from Versus when I was young.

https://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantas...antasy+7+versus

I read the poo poo out of it. I would take it to school in a Ziploc bag so it didn't get damaged. Unfortunately, I was also an idiot child. My teacher confiscated the poster because of Tifa's juggs and an upper classman who I didn't know asked to borrow the guide and I never saw either of them again. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it wasn't so expensive.

My very worn copy of that is resting on my bookshelf, along with the Versus Ocarina of Time guide. Those two, put together, are the best game guides I've ever seen.

^^^^Same author for both, Casey Loe and company. They made a hell of a NWN1 guide as well, which makes the game seem even better than it was.

Lucas Archer fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 20, 2016

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Forgotten by everyone? Kanako's fault.
They made a pair of guides for NWN1, in fact! One was a guide for the main quest, skipping the very last battle because, and they admit this in the guide, it wasn't ready while they were preparing the book. The OTHER guide was basically a tutorial for the Aurora toolset and making your own modules.

Versus was awesome back then, I agree.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Genpei Turtle posted:

Anything for Divinity: Dragon Commander? I'm not seeing anything for it on the wiki.

This is less a tip and more of an opinion, but it pays to stick with one mode of thought re: your generals and princess rather than trying to mix it up or choose the "right" option.

The generals can be a little trickier in their conversations (there are some GOTCHA moments and unintended consequences) than the princesses, but there's no real bad end so don't sweat it too hard.

I don't have any advice for the actual gameplay aspect of DDC, sorry man.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Kliff posted:

They made a pair of guides for NWN1, in fact! One was a guide for the main quest, skipping the very last battle because, and they admit this in the guide, it wasn't ready while they were preparing the book. The OTHER guide was basically a tutorial for the Aurora toolset and making your own modules.

Versus was awesome back then, I agree.

Yep, I remember getting them as a pack. I thought it would help me get into coding - no such luck for a dummy like me, but I loved just reading the guides even if I wasn't playing the games.

I still love the fact they poo poo all over the sorcerer class in the first line of describing the wizard class for the MC. That guide made me laugh out more than once ("now that's what we call extreme archaeology!")

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

I can contribute to this neat derail: I had a Gold/Silver-era unofficial Pokémon breeding guide. If it weren't for that book I probably would have totally overlooked the day care center and breeding in general. But I consulted the thing regularly and ended up with some pretty powerful poo poo. Also they had a hot tip about leveling Eevee until it learned Bite and then evolving it into Espeon. A PSYCHIC Pokémon knowing a DARK move?! That's crazy! So, good times.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
That is actually really clever because Dark moves always used Special Attack until Diamond/Pearl, so Bite went off Espeon's absurd Special Attack, instead of its decidedly mediocre Attack.
__ /
:spergin:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Donkey

Tiny

Lanky

Diddy

Chunky

need to add this to the wiki

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Lucas Archer posted:

My very worn copy of that is resting on my bookshelf, along with the Versus Ocarina of Time guide. Those two, put together, are the best game guides I've ever seen.

I'm unreasonably jealous of you. One day I know I'll crack and drop $80 on a copy of it, it's just a matter of time. I could talk about old game guides (like the Secret of Mana one that's written as a narrative) all night, but I don't want to derail this valuable thread.

Any advice for Dead Rising 2?

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
I still have my Brady Final Fantasy IX guide and treasure it to this day.

God bless that lovely, lovely guide.

p.s. Official Strategy Guide tier list is Piggyback = Future Press > Brady > Prima.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alris posted:

p.s. Official Strategy Guide tier list is Piggyback = Future Press > Brady > Prima.

Don't forget FFX outright advertising to go get the strategy guide online in it main menu :allears:.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Alris posted:

That's the one where half the content is on the now-defunct website, right? "Want more tips on beating Beatrix? Use code XBFGSK to find out her stats." That was the last guide I bought sight-unseen. Piggyback made good guides for the NIS games while they were around, but there were always a few typos or mistakes that I'd find after poring over it for hours.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Yes, in TYOOL 2016 the guide is all but unusable. I suspect Squaresoft were pushing them to write it that way as a means to promote PlayOnline because I cannot see how anyone involved on Brady's side of things thought they'd get away with it.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Any advice for Dead Rising 2?

If you're starting from Level 1 I would start the game, run around for a while, get used to the controls or maybe general layout, then restart. You keep everything except for items when you restart. Having a few crafting cards and inventory slot in the beginning is really helpful.

In terms of crafted weapons near the safe house, there should be a fitness store with boxing gloves and a cutlery store with knives that makes a good weapon. Some gems and a toy laser sword, or an axe and sledgehammer are also ones that are near the safe house.

Orange Juice is still one of the best healing items in the game. I'm pretty sure the quicksilver potion uses orange juice and milk.

At one point some snipers will appear in the main strip. There are ladders behind the buildings they are on so you don't have to snipe them back.

I'm not sure which Dead Rising 2 you have but try to play the one where you're Frank West. It gets rid of going back to the safe room to give your daughter a shot. That mechanic is just the worst. Trust me.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Scientastic posted:

Anything for Mass Effect 3 that's not in the wiki? I've already got the extended cut DLC.

At one point late in the game you'll encounter a big pillar of light. This is the end of the game, just stop here.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The Lone Badger posted:

At one point late in the game you'll encounter a big pillar of light. This is the end of the game, just stop here.

Nah, there's a point after that where you chat with Anderson. That's where the game ends.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

LawfulWaffle posted:

That's the one where half the content is on the now-defunct website, right? "Want more tips on beating Beatrix? Use code XBFGSK to find out her stats." That was the last guide I bought sight-unseen. Piggyback made good guides for the NIS games while they were around, but there were always a few typos or mistakes that I'd find after poring over it for hours.
Did you hear of Double Jump? I have their guide for Disgaea 2 and about 640 pages. They could have made it bigger than a pocket bible.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

Did you hear of Double Jump? I have their guide for Disgaea 2 and about 640 pages. They could have made it bigger than a pocket bible.

You know, I think I was thinking of Double Jump instead of Piggyback. I had their Phantom Brave guide and coincidentally that's the only NIS game I've beaten.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Donkey

Tiny

Lanky

Diddy

Chunky

Alternatively

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKDlqdsw1i8

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the starbound section of the wiki is very outdated as far as i can tell

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
This is a long shot, but anybody remember tips for Republic The Revolution?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know how to search the thread but people have talked about Underrail in here. I know that psionics permanently reduces your health but I would like some general character building advice.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

If someone posts about a game the post will usually make its way to the wiki linked in the OP after a couple days.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's definitely not there.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

LawfulWaffle posted:

(like the Secret of Mana one that's written as a narrative)

Ooo, man, I have a copy of that floating around my parent's house somewhere. I'll find it and post a pic or two.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

al-azad posted:

I don't know how to search the thread but people have talked about Underrail in here. I know that psionics permanently reduces your health but I would like some general character building advice.

The character creation system is so deep and intricate, it's best just to experiment, play for 30mins, then restart a few times until you find something that works. Making extensive use of the wiki is something I found helpful too.

A few things I picked up:

- You're going to have to make some hard choices, making a jack of all trades is almost impossible due to how few skill points you get.
- You want to focus on either going very light + stealth, with dodge and evade, or just wearing the heaviest armor you can and totally ignoring those skills
- If you go heavy psyker, make sure you take the telekinesis tree, the other 2 trees cannot affect robots.
- There are 2 lock picking style skills, lock picking and hacking. They're both equally useful, but you may want to only take 1 of them to free up points for elsewhere.
- The majority of crafting recipes require more than one crafting skill to complete, so picking only a single crafting skill to focus on is pretty worthless.
- Feats are the coolest part of character creation, and they all require various combinations of skills and attributes to get. Some of them (like Cheap Shots) are so good, that it's worth building a whole character around getting them fast.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

juliuspringle posted:

Does anyone have anything for Wild ARMS? As spoiler free as possible as I've owned it for years but only got around to picking it up the other day.

Every time you go back to the main city talk to everyone

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Also if you've been given a time limit to leave a dungeon. Reexplore first before teleporting out

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

al-azad posted:

To add to the above:

Stats definitely have "breakpoints". I initially had 4 constitution on my psi dude until I realised that the penalty for going down to 3 was next to irrelevant. This let me take my intelligence from 6 to 7 which was a huge improvement. This is mostly tied to feats, so just look up the feats you want and plan your stats from there - for example, I wasn't going to get any relevant feats with 4 con and the HP drop was negligible, so.

You want int at 7 if you want to do any crafting, for the sake of a few really good feats.

Psi is excellent but metathermics drops off late-game and isn't really worth bothering with. Better to spend the points elsewhere.

Put one or two points in persuade if you want, but no more than that. Intimidate is pretty useless.

Contrary to the above I'd recommend both hacking and lockpicking - there's so much of both and so much sweet loot hidden away that they pay for themselves, given the oddities you'll find. There's gear that boosts both skills everywhere so you don't need to fully invest in both.

Play with the Oddity XP system because it's great.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Anything for Danganronpa 1 & 2?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mystic Stylez posted:

Anything for Danganronpa 1 & 2?

Don't read any wikis or spoilers.
You can repeat trials to get more coins, so don't worry about running out or obsessively checking everywhere.

You can repeat chapters to max out relationships if you want, but there's an unlocked mode at the end that makes it very easy to do.

Just have fun and enjoy it.

There is nothing but despair.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

skooma512 posted:

This is a long shot, but anybody remember tips for Republic The Revolution?

Oh wow. Its been years since I played that and I never finished it. So anything I can tell you about is possibly wrong

From what I remember it looks like a kind of a god/management game where you have freedom to do what you want. Its really not though because to get anywhere you have to follow pretty explicit steps which I think the game tells you to do. The huge lack of freedom is what kind of dragged it down a bunch.

I think the only useful screen was the map one. And the controls are a total mess so I hope you have a manual. Like you had to scroll to the side and right click to move between cities or something.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
Anything for Drakensang: The River of Time? Is there a class I should go in particular?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Don't read any wikis or spoilers.
You can repeat trials to get more coins, so don't worry about running out or obsessively checking everywhere.

You can repeat chapters to max out relationships if you want, but there's an unlocked mode at the end that makes it very easy to do.

Just have fun and enjoy it.

There is nothing but despair.

Don't even do an image search. There's official character art that straight up spoils the ending.

I'd also set the trial difficulty to easy. It's a bunch of clunky timed minigames and while they're not that bad overall it's still an annoyance in the way of neat trials.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

al-azad posted:

Don't even do an image search. There's official character art that straight up spoils the ending.

I'd also set the trial difficulty to easy. It's a bunch of clunky timed minigames and while they're not that bad overall it's still an annoyance in the way of neat trials.

Could you PM me the one you're referring to? There's so many secrets and spoilers that I can't even tell who you're talking about. (I think I know)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Goofballs posted:

Oh wow. Its been years since I played that and I never finished it. So anything I can tell you about is possibly wrong

From what I remember it looks like a kind of a god/management game where you have freedom to do what you want. Its really not though because to get anywhere you have to follow pretty explicit steps which I think the game tells you to do. The huge lack of freedom is what kind of dragged it down a bunch.

I think the only useful screen was the map one. And the controls are a total mess so I hope you have a manual. Like you had to scroll to the side and right click to move between cities or something.

Yeah, I followed this game before release and got a boxed copy. Taught me everything I needed to know about doing that with games.

The 3D engine is just kind of there and they never really tied it to the gameplay. It might as well have been a board game with comic book cutscenes. At least the tech made it to Evil Genius.

Pretty much playing purely for nostalgia. The other factions just poo poo on you constantly and I can barely keep up because my resources are finite and I'm sure they cheat like crazy.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

The lets play that google throws up is kind of funny in that the guy's computer seems to be about to catch fire. Brings back that nostalgia of, oh 10 fps I'll deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

al-azad posted:

Seriously, this cannot be emphasized enough. I found a "spoiler free" gift guide that had, as its header image, a huge loving spoiler about Danganronpa2. It's absurd.

Going to disagree about turning the trials to Easy though - the mini games are all kind of clunky, yeah, but I still found them strangely satisfying to complete.