Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

thatguy posted:

"I've been really busy - at work."

With such helpful people like yourselves, do I even have to post anymore? ; )

I'm currently traveling; visiting our Nation's Capital.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

So, nothing to actually be concerned about then? Didn't CIG say VR support was way way way down the line?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Tokamak posted:

So for 2.6,
(late) October/November - Evocati
November - PTU
December - Live

Now do you think they'll get 3.0 ready, and tested within a month, let alone the Christmas period?
Jesus patch just got delayed to 2017.

that's why the news was broken so early. Backers have already started convincing themselves that the $4,000,000 they spent on the precise words "3.0, Planet Landings. This Year 2016" actually meant sometime in 2017 because (insert excuse) and it will have less features and not even really work because (insert excuse)

All that smugness and enthusiasm is already forgotten. By the time 2017 rolls around and we are quoting the poo poo from gamescom where backers are tossing cash on a fire screaming and crying in joy they'll just say poo poo like "only an idiot would have expected perfection in 2016 :smug:"

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

ManofManyAliases posted:

Canberra is a shithole, get out

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

while i am glad that cig managed to scrape a couple more million together to keep things limping on, i do miss the giddy, hectic days where it felt like they may totally collapse at any given moment

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

CrazyTolradi posted:

So, nothing to actually be concerned about then? Didn't CIG say VR support was way way way down the line?

it is way, way down the line but someone earlier made an effortpost about how it won't ever work in SC. Putting on the VR headset tricks your brain into thinking what it is seeing is real. When the "immersive fidelity" animations of walking up a ladder or entering your ship or even reloading your gun lock your head into an unskipable animation, your brain feels like it's being jerked around and it will make you super nauseous.

Your head moves one way but the animations make your field of vision move a different way. You get sick. It's not fun.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Coolguye posted:

not enough of your username

I've been here for years and Marching Powder is the first poster I ever put on ignore. I didn't even do that to Octopode or Lazrin.

My life has been going so well ever since I can't believe I waited so long!

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Barn Folk posted:

it is way, way down the line but someone earlier made an effortpost about how it won't ever work in SC. Putting on the VR headset tricks your brain into thinking what it is seeing is real. When the "immersive fidelity" animations of walking up a ladder or entering your ship or even reloading your gun lock your head into an unskipable animation, your brain feels like it's being jerked around and it will make you super nauseous.

Your head moves one way but the animations make your field of vision move a different way. You get sick. It's not fun.

Yup, this. I live with a VR dev, and they say it's one of the rules - no forced animations that move your head around.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

CrazyTolradi posted:

He's from NT, so yeah derro as gently caress. Also:

In his case, I'd hazard there are other reasons besides an unfavorable ratio. Mebe just good sense on the part of the ladies?

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

Nah, that's an IKEA show room. All those screens are cardboard, and the chairs are the desks are piled up in the warehouse down the hall, along with wall art. The people are random shoppers.

You know, I'm not nearly as pissed at the furniture the code monkeys get, sitting at a desk for 8+ hours dealing with the crap they do (unless Sandy wants a Breakroom photo). But considering how much they wasted on all the rest of the "executive" offices, not to mention the waste of salary that is Ben, they could have at least gotten the coders some good chairs.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

ManofManyAliases posted:

Santa Monica isn't the US Capitol bro

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Lime Tonics posted:

t-minus 3 months till the jesus patch,

thoughts are as follows :

http://i.imgur.com/gykgQTu.gifv

Did you teach that turtle to say "Parp" on command?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

ManofManyAliases posted:

Jesus christ, you too? What's wrong with us (apart from the obvious)?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mirificus posted:

A Socioeconomical Perspective on Grim Hex

Edited for BLUF (aka TL:DR): In the absence of a structured institutionalized government, mankind will always find itself organized in order to pursue common goals, even if loosely. Through said organization, paramount among all other aspects would be security, as without security, even if only offering a false perception of security, there would be no incentive to form a collective body (i.e. a port of Grim Hex).

The devs should look for a way to decentivize anti-social behavior around social hubs, while protecting individual rights to play and experience the game in a manner that is free and in the spirit of freedom of choice in the Universe. The OP suggests that this decentivization come in the form of harsh consequences in the form of automated NPC security guards, while still allowing the player the ability to commit such crimes in a specified vicinity (i.e. you can fire on other players, as you are able to now, but when you do so within the vicinity of Grim Hex, then pirate security guards will be alerted and attack you).

As I exited the "they've gone plaid" that is quantum travel into the Yela meteor belt, I quickly located and closed in towards the bustling pirate oasis that is Grim Hex. Touted to be the Crusader System's "Mos Eisley," Grim Hex is a (near) lawless haven of scum and villainy; just the place I'm looking for.

As I piloted my Gladius closer, a Hornet, having recently left the facility, passed by me in the opposite direction, roughly 5000 km away. A safe distance, in these parts. When I had finally arrived at my destination, strafing up over the horizon of the rock formation protecting the mining facility from outside onlookers, I quickly identified two things; first was a landing zone for me to set down my ship, and the second was another Hornet, hovering over the facility and staring right at me. I immediately halted, preparing for a fight to just enter this hollowed out rock; but the Hornet didn't move, and I slowly approached and landed without any incident. As I scurried to find the entrance, having no prior knowledge of any sort of firearm prohibition (a'la Port Olisar), I noticed that the Hornet, now moving, was still pointed directly at me, now on foot, running through the corridors to find the entrance. Finally, after an excitingly uneventful five to ten minutes; I had found, landed, and entered into Grim Hex, where weapons were not permitted to be used inside of the facility.

A few minutes later, while running around Grim Hex, I heard some shooting from ships outside, then an explosion, and noticed that my ship had been blown up.

My proposal, for consideration, would be to NOT implement a firearm prohibition, like the one at Port Olisar, around Grim Hex. Instead, I would argue that there would be swift and deadly punishment for anyone who breaks the implied "truce" within the area of protection by the owner/s of Grim Hex, or its security forces.

Any sort of inappropriate behavior, within a protected area, would be seen as a violation of the social code of conduct, and would, as one can imagine, result in being a "marked man," who could expect to not live very long.

Just something to consider, as we enter and exit Grim Hex at our own risk, wondering if it's worth the effort just to buy those sweet new kicks and a "Lies" t-shirt.

I want to be an outlaw but can't make the effort of actually being an outlaw.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Mirificus posted:

A Socioeconomical Perspective on Grim Hex

Edited for BLUF (aka TL:DR): In the absence of a structured institutionalized government, mankind will always find itself organized in order to pursue common goals, even if loosely. Through said organization, paramount among all other aspects would be security, as without security, even if only offering a false perception of security, there would be no incentive to form a collective body (i.e. a port of Grim Hex).

The devs should look for a way to decentivize anti-social behavior around social hubs, while protecting individual rights to play and experience the game in a manner that is free and in the spirit of freedom of choice in the Universe. The OP suggests that this decentivization come in the form of harsh consequences in the form of automated NPC security guards, while still allowing the player the ability to commit such crimes in a specified vicinity (i.e. you can fire on other players, as you are able to now, but when you do so within the vicinity of Grim Hex, then pirate security guards will be alerted and attack you).

As I exited the "they've gone plaid" that is quantum travel into the Yela meteor belt, I quickly located and closed in towards the bustling pirate oasis that is Grim Hex. Touted to be the Crusader System's "Mos Eisley," Grim Hex is a (near) lawless haven of scum and villainy; just the place I'm looking for.

As I piloted my Gladius closer, a Hornet, having recently left the facility, passed by me in the opposite direction, roughly 5000 km away. A safe distance, in these parts. When I had finally arrived at my destination, strafing up over the horizon of the rock formation protecting the mining facility from outside onlookers, I quickly identified two things; first was a landing zone for me to set down my ship, and the second was another Hornet, hovering over the facility and staring right at me. I immediately halted, preparing for a fight to just enter this hollowed out rock; but the Hornet didn't move, and I slowly approached and landed without any incident. As I scurried to find the entrance, having no prior knowledge of any sort of firearm prohibition (a'la Port Olisar), I noticed that the Hornet, now moving, was still pointed directly at me, now on foot, running through the corridors to find the entrance. Finally, after an excitingly uneventful five to ten minutes; I had found, landed, and entered into Grim Hex, where weapons were not permitted to be used inside of the facility.

A few minutes later, while running around Grim Hex, I heard some shooting from ships outside, then an explosion, and noticed that my ship had been blown up.

What's the point of me telling this story?

The point is to bring some additional thought to the, presumptive, anarchist paradise that is Grim Hex, and to the vast array of follow-on sister locations where pirates and ne'er-do-wells will seek to congregate.

Most of us have seen the glorious motion picture that is Star Wars: Episode 4. The idea of a near-lawless bastion of freedom, such as Mos Eisley, appeals to many people [insert political rhetoric about small government here]. However, Grim Hex, as it stands today in the game (before you hit that "Comment" button; yes, I know; everything is subject to change; that's why I'm posting this perspective for discussion), is not realistic on the grounds of socioeconomics.

Yes, I can suspend many beliefs of astro-mining facilities being suspended with cables (or whatever they are) to asteroids in a belt around a barren moon; I follow all of that. But the economist inside of me can't suspend the belief that, at the root core, Grim Hex is a port, and ports exist for one singular reason: to make money (especially if ran by pirates).

In order for any business, inside of Grim Hex, to be successful, it must make money. In order to make money, it must have a steady flow of supply and demand (yes, this is a very simplistic argument for S&D, I'm not about to discuss the Invisible Hand of Capitalism and theories by Hayek, Adam Smith, Milton Friedman, etc in a forum about a space sim; let's just go with this for the sake of argument). Supplies must be able to freely flow into Grim Hex, and customers (demand) must be able to freely flow into, and out of, Grim Hex. If customers are unable to freely flow into the port, then the businesses will leave; when the businesses leave, then the port will cease to exist.

Let's look at this in a modern concept. All political and social joking aside, if customers were genuinely afraid of risking their lives to enter into a mall, then there would be no reason for businesses to pay the mall to have a storefront. Businesses would leave, and the mall would have to close down.

This is the same with Grim Hex. In a realistic scenario, if people were genuinely concerned that they'll be killed while trying to get into the port, then they simply won't go to said port, and the businesses within would leave. If people didn't have the ability to "magically" revive inside of Grim Hex, given their wanted level, then it's likely that, given a more severe punishment to enter and exit (as is expected in launch), they simply wouldn't go there. Therefore, in order to best maintain a port, one must properly, and securely, incentivize customers to conduct business at said port.

Furthermore, on a sociological perspective of this, it is safe to assume that Grim Hex would, in fact, not be an "anarchist paradise" (to use my earlier phrase), but would actually have its security maintained by the owner/s of Grim Hex, or by a security firm (either legitimate or illegitimate). Using the Mos Eisley example, the Hutts, a criminal mob organization, provided for most of the "goings on" and protection within the system, and there was even an agreement between the Hutts and the Empire in order to maintain security of the region.

So from a sociological perspective, mankind (and by extension, alienkind, given that they are, currently, a figment of our imaginations) will always seek to form protective societies; even if said society is thought to be an uncontrolled conglomerate of individuals.

A modern day parallel of this would be that of Somali pirates. Somalia, being a near-lawless failed state (see also, basically anarchy), provided a safehaven for pirates to join together and conduct raiding parties on civilian ships. Within these roving bands of pirates, there was still structure and organization providing for security within the "in group." Though I'm not an expert on this particular subject (my experience comes from the Middle East), I would have to imagine that it was not common for Somali pirates to murder one another as they conducted their business, or else they would be unable to work together for their collective goals.

So, too, would be the case in a galaxy far far away, one would have to conclude, based on human behavior.

My proposal, for consideration, would be to NOT implement a firearm prohibition, like the one at Port Olisar, around Grim Hex. Instead, I would argue that there would be swift and deadly punishment for anyone who breaks the implied "truce" within the area of protection by the owner/s of Grim Hex, or its security forces.

Any sort of inappropriate behavior, within a protected area, would be seen as a violation of the social code of conduct, and would, as one can imagine, result in being a "marked man," who could expect to not live very long.

Just something to consider, as we enter and exit Grim Hex at our own risk, wondering if it's worth the effort just to buy those sweet new kicks and a "Lies" t-shirt.

:ancap:

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Young Freud posted:

I want to be an outlaw but can't make the effort of actually being an outlaw.
Star Citizens being outlaws makes me think of a Boston terrier and Pikachu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCt0-iO2p_o

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Barn Folk posted:

It would be the torture the Shitizens deserve.

"Oh, the fidelit.....:barf:...okay...threw up, nothing serious...so...let's unload some cargo...this looks so goo..:barf:..... (Chris, why are you doind this do :barf:)"

E: thinking about it, they would even applaud it for giving you the uneasy feel and need to lay down like when a real (bad) drug wears off...they will call it the ultimate immersion.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ComfyPants posted:

Everytime those pics are posted all I can think of this:

same, but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdBTknCZnGY

just replace ammo with spaceships

Truga fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 21, 2016

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

vyst posted:

Head Bob is now Sandi got to where she is in life

:drat:

I laughed really hard at that one.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012
This is being said about the developers who didn't know about the water line built into their own game engine for MONTHS.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

stingtwo posted:

This is being said about the developers who didn't know about the water line built into their own game engine for MONTHS.

What did I miss?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

From Evocati sources, yesterday:

quote:

Just wanted to post for you to know that the surprise [CIG] mentioned that would be announced Monday (only for Evocati) has already been announced, although we have not been able to test it yet. Hopefully either today or tomorrow. But just wanted to say that [CIG] is working in a fundamental aspect of the game, which has undergone a few modifications, that we are going to test and give feedback on. As I said, with a bit of luck today or tomorrow.

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Lackadaisical Phraseologist

Sunswipe posted:

Looks like the B'tak Griefers org is gone: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/FEELGRIEF. And just to confirm CIG can't do a single thing right, a quote from their 404 page:

Outfuckingstanding.

Oh man, I hope I have an email or something to go with the org takedown.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

tuo posted:

What did I miss?

I just recall a few months ago players were saying water was splashing onto their visors when flying around in their ships. Someone in here posted a video from CIG developers explaining the reason that they didn't know why till they remembered that the cryengine has a water volume into it as default.

Cigstomper58
Aug 17, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tokamak posted:

So for 2.6,
(late) October/November - Evocati
November - PTU
December - Live

Now do you think they'll get 3.0 ready, and tested within a month, let alone the Christmas period?
Jesus patch just got delayed to 2017. Not that it ever was going to make it anyway. This is just the first official communication that excludes a reasonable time frame for 2016.
FOUND IT

Holy gently caress the citizens will be lucky to get 2.6 this year. And you have the developer saying to rein it in its not a big deal.

Cigstomper58 fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 21, 2016

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ManofManyAliases posted:

Don't forget to try the civil meat.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Cigstomper58 posted:

FOUND IT

Holy gently caress the citizens will be lucky to get 2.6 this year. And you have the developer saying to rein it in its not a big deal.

It's not a big deal Chris obviously meant fiscal 2016 Jesus Christ people he has until April

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

It's not a big deal Chris obviously meant fiscal 2016 Jesus Christ people he has until April

I'm sure I've already seen a shitizen claim this preemptive rationalisation

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

CrazyTolradi posted:

As usual, things that Chris Robberts said he wouldnt put in are "useless and wouldnt add anything to the game" until somone else implements it gets laughed upon for being a waste of time, Chris Robberts feels compelled to now includeit too, fails horribly and Shitizens will still praise it as the best thing ever and way better imagined than everyone else who has done it.

See: Elite Dangerous planetary landings.

Cigstomper58
Aug 17, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Its 4:33am and I am at work (FML). I posted the 2.6 delay on RSI. It was gone in 5 minutes. Community team working crunch time.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Like crobber's reputation, the quality of these thread titles are going rapidly downhill

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

I think I got their attention.

Jimeth fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Sep 21, 2016

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

his nibs posted:

Like crobber's reputation, the quality of these thread titles are going rapidly downhill

From the highs of "Sunk cost galaxy" to this. :(

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Jimeth posted:

I think I got their attention.

403 error :(

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Sorry, fixed it. I'll figure this internet thing out one day.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Cigstomper58 posted:

Its 4:33am and I am at work (FML). I posted the 2.6 delay on RSI. It was gone in 5 minutes. Community team working crunch time.

Remember how proud they are that they created there development empire so that development takes place nearly 24 hours a day. I guess same goes for SA monitoring and forum cleansing. When the US studios close for the day, the EU guys take over monitoring the forums.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

There is no way she is actually at the office. Hasn't been for weeks I'd wager. Ever since she "quit social media" and came back she has been in far too few pics. She likes to see herself far too much to post pictures she isn't in.

Hey Sandi, what movie are you currently working on/how is Hawaii? The backers will never know.

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

I've been out of the loop quite a while, so can anybody tell me whether or not it's normal to have had your AC pass "reclaimed" for store credit mid-october last year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Hopper posted:

Hey Sandi, what movie are you currently working on/how is Hawaii? The backers will never know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lGoQhFb4NM&t=54s

• Locked thread