Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Captain Rufus posted:

I might as well share my Dragon Quest collection as it currently stands:

No ps2 slime controller/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Captain Rufus posted:

Yeah the 7 cluebook probably won't be super useful for the 3ds version but I saw it a year or so back and the price was nice. And then we didn't even know if 7 was coming out over here again. (I may be known as a critic of Nintendo but they do help us get Dragon Quests and for that I give them respect.)

i still have my own copy, but the cover is all beat up and the binding glue has given out in places so the book is literally falling apart. looks like yours is in much better condition.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Ceramics posted:

No ps2 slime controller/10

I don't have the Wu Tang PS1 controller either. One cannot own everything. Plus I am infamously cheap when it comes to my dorky rear end entertainment. 40 bucks for DQ7 3ds this week felt like me kicking myself in the nuts.
(The controller I REALLY want right now is the analog double flightstick for the PS1.)

vvvv No worries. I kind of figured it out. I am doubtful I would then or now spend the money for that Slime controller but.. I am happy it exists. Not as happy as the Wu Tang controller though. vvvvv

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 21, 2016

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

I was just having a laugh, it's a nice collection :)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

How do I use Monster Munchies?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

How do I use Monster Munchies?

just picking them up enables the chance for monster taming. there's an intermediate class you can unlock later that will make taming easier. also some items that may or may not have made it to the remake?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

AriadneThread posted:

just picking them up enables the chance for monster taming. there's an intermediate class you can unlock later that will make taming easier. also some items that may or may not have made it to the remake?

You can also use the actual munchies as an item in battle to improve your odds (at least, I'm assuming that's what the message about the scent of Monster Munchies filling the air is), but if you aren't going to use it actively, just leaving it in your bag is enough to trigger the taming chance. The odds are pretty low without the monster-taming class, though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
However said thin air was a little broken is right 90+ damage and hits all enemies, Jesus.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kiefer is totally gonna c*ck Florin.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Half the plots involve that, which is weird.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I beat malroth in dq2 snes translation. Then when leaving the nun at the shrine got caught in and endless text loop. Guess ill watch the ending on YouTube.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I boug DQ3 on Android, but kinda hate touchscreen gaming so now I wish I had it on another system. I have a PSP - could emulate, so which version out there is reckoned to be the one to go? A translated SNES version, or the GBC release?

Any other recommendations?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

BadAstronaut posted:

I boug DQ3 on Android, but kinda hate touchscreen gaming so now I wish I had it on another system. I have a PSP - could emulate, so which version out there is reckoned to be the one to go? A translated SNES version, or the GBC release?

Any other recommendations?

SNES emulation isn't the best on the PSP but should be fine with DQ3 as it doesn't do a lot of special stuff. I'd only recommend GBC version if you want the QOL improvements but have to deal with smaller viewable area.

Edit: Now that I'm recalling the GBC and SNES versions aren't all that much different outside of the obvious graphic differences. They both have the same changes. Only the GBC version has an extra dungeon and monster medals.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 21, 2016

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Cool, well I am like 3 hours into DQ7 so it will be a long time before I sink time into DQ3. Wish it could just be a virtual console download on my New 3DS XL or something.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The fact that none of the DQ games are available through VC or PSN or something but are on mobile is utterly baffling to me

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Enix is more conservative and doesn't want to poo poo up their franchise by releasing a zillion products a minute like Square did with FF.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
What? Enix has been Square-Enix for forever now, and there is a ton of DQ spin off poo poo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Looper posted:

The fact that none of the DQ games are available through VC or PSN or something but are on mobile is utterly baffling to me

Japanese people love dragon quest and phones

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I got DQ7 (and DQ5) yesterday but I really want to finish the latest Ace Attorney before starting the 100+ hour JRPG :ohdear:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

voltron lion force posted:

What? Enix has been Square-Enix for forever now, and there is a ton of DQ spin off poo poo.

Well yeah, but they put effort into those. It's honestly pretty crazy that most of the games have one remake and that those are actual remakes that added significant time investments like good postgame dungeons, tuned up stuff like EXP/Gold and added party chat, done by the same dudes working on modern DQ titles. Whereas we have something like Chrono Trigger that's a straight port with a terrible new dungeon and an okay one.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They have a musou and minecraft clone, pleasr stop dying on this hill of dq being a holy pedestal.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Enix is more conservative and doesn't want to poo poo up their franchise by releasing a zillion products a minute like Square did with FF.

that's great, now put dq3 gbc on the 3ds vc!

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Silento posted:

If you don't talk to every npc in town after every story event, you're playing JRPGs wrong! :hai:

Also use party chat after you talk to every npc in town. If anyone doesn't use party chat often, they miss out on a ton of character development that is only in the party chat.

logger posted:

Speaking about that I just did the third island and am disappointed that in the remake instead of all the statues having a little story with them only three do. I liked the peek into the dead town's life that the original had with the people having their own opinions about the upcoming festival and the Water Spirit. It feels to me that in order to streamline the game they took out a little bit of it's heart. The could have at least had all the other statues start glowing and let us see the cutscene after viewing the first three.

This is one of my favorite parts of the original game. This was a disappointing baffling change. I remember hearing about the change a year or two ago. Each time it comes up, there are people saying what a shame that is. It's hard to understand why they did that.

In Training posted:

Japanese people love dragon quest and phones

Is there any word on DQ7 coming out on phone in the US? I want to get it but don't have a 3DS.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Hmmmmm... Been thinking about DQ Builders lately. Is the PS4 version superior in ways aside from framerate and graphics, or is it worth sacrificing that for the portability (and comfort :)) of the Vita version.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
Not being able to keep tier 2 skills kind of sucks. I want to go pirate with Ruff but I feel like that's lost time that should be used towards getting some of the tier 3 stuff since it doesn't connect to anything except hero at the very end and you lose the skills you get.

Also in spite of it being a bit of a combat slog the alltrades abbey story was epic. I had forgotten how big a quest that was

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Princeps32 posted:

Not being able to keep tier 2 skills kind of sucks. I want to go pirate with Ruff but I feel like that's lost time that should be used towards getting some of the tier 3 stuff since it doesn't connect to anything except hero at the very end and you lose the skills you get.

Also in spite of it being a bit of a combat slog the alltrades abbey story was epic. I had forgotten how big a quest that was

I think I remember someone at Alltrades saying you can keep skills learned as a monster, I wonder if that's the only way to get some of the crazier skills.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Alright, I just made it to Alltrades Abbey. I'm terrible when it comes to assigning jobs/skills/what have you. Anyone mind giving me a good starting vocation for MC/Maribel/Ruff?

Edit: I'VE BEEN DECEIVED. DO LISTEN TO THE HIGH PRIEST OR BATHE IN THE CLEANSING WATERS. YOU WILL REGRET THIS.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 21, 2016

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

Alright, I just made it to Alltrades Abbey. I'm terrible when it comes to assigning jobs/skills/what have you. Anyone mind giving me a good starting vocation for MC/Maribel/Ruff?

Edit: I'VE BEEN DECEIVED. DO LISTEN TO THE HIGH PRIEST OR BATHE IN THE CLEANSING WATERS. YOU WILL REGRET THIS.

But thou must!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Detective No. 27 posted:

In retrospect it is probably not a good idea to listen to a man who goes by the name of Cardinal Sin, though I realize you don't know it at the time.

On a related note, I still love the enemy names. Tinpot Dictator for the robot boss was excellent, but my favourite so far is the lowly woebergine.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Princeps32 posted:

The secret is that you don't need the advanced classes and pirate and all other intermediate classes have been buffed to stand on their own. Pirates get Oomph and Sword Dance--only other class that gets that is Hero--and most all of their stuff is unique even with monster classes.

It promotes more variety in the classes you actually use rather than turning most all of them into pit-stops on the way to the better intermediates or the all of 3 advanced classes. High MP classes can't just spam the high set damage 20MP stuff and low MP, high strength classes like Godhand can't just easily use the better 0MP stuff. Hero is good, but the intermediates were buffed to the extent that it's good in a jack of all trades way rather than a "just straight better" sort of way.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Prism posted:

In retrospect it is probably not a good idea to listen to a man who goes by the name of Cardinal Sin, though I realize you don't know it at the time.

On a related note, I still love the enemy names. Tinpot Dictator for the robot boss was excellent, but my favourite so far is the lowly woebergine.

Every time I see it I chuckle at peahooter.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Every time I see it I chuckle at peahooter.

The one that gets me like this is the tongue fu series

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Monologs are great.

Pirate is great by itself even if it isn't Master tier, and you'll want skills from Sailor and Thief anyway.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

if you don't make hero and maribel pirates at least once i don't know what to tell you

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Decus posted:

The secret is that you don't need the advanced classes and pirate and all other intermediate classes have been buffed to stand on their own. Pirates get Oomph and Sword Dance--only other class that gets that is Hero--and most all of their stuff is unique even with monster classes.

It promotes more variety in the classes you actually use rather than turning most all of them into pit-stops on the way to the better intermediates or the all of 3 advanced classes. High MP classes can't just spam the high set damage 20MP stuff and low MP, high strength classes like Godhand can't just easily use the better 0MP stuff. Hero is good, but the intermediates were buffed to the extent that it's good in a jack of all trades way rather than a "just straight better" sort of way.

Good to know, I didn't realize how much they've rebalanced the system, so my old way of thinking about it from the PS1 days (and old FAQs I checked briefly) are out of date as to what is viable. Guess I'll just have fun with it then instead of overplanning builds, like a crazy person. With the Haven Tablets I haven't needed to do any grinding anyhow to progress in the story,, so the balance has been good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played through all the DQ remakes last year + VIII and the only I had to grind in to actually beat the story was VI

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I have a nice collection of DQ stuff, but I'm so hard-up for storage space that I've gotten rid of what few boxes I've had while keeping the books... if there is one. The only boxes I kept were DQVII on the PSX, which was given to me by a very generous goon, and VIII on the PS2.

I think that the only games from the main series (not including spinoffs like Monsters and such) that I don't have physical copies of are DW 2, 3 and 4 on the NES. DW 2 NES I hate and 4 I've never played, but I would love to have a copy of III with the Explorer's Handbook. I do have SFC cartridges of DQ I & II, III, V and VI because those have translation patches and I can pop those in the Retron 5. I have all of the strategy guides as well, even the little green-blue one for 4 on the NES that is apparently really rare. I think that I lucked out and got my copy from someone who didn't know the market value of it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Forky Pig. :gerty:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Captain Rufus posted:

A close up of the other Warrior World newsletter. This one is sad because it mentions the superb 5th game of the series coming to the US SNES which never happened. Again we eventually got them in a superior format in the US. Sometime in 2017 we are reported to even get the 8th game above on the 3DS platform giving us all of the current single player Dragon Quest games on portable Nintendo platforms.

On the birght side, we still got 7th Saga and E.V.O. and E.V.O. was amazing and fun.

7th Saga would've been better if the player's level scaling wasn't so badly hosed up. The other apprentices also got something absurd like an additional 1+ to all stats per 10 levels on every level up if they weren't in your party. So if you needed to fight an apprentice for a rune the fights were 100% unwinnable after awhile since even the casters would have more atk/def than you in the late 20s or early 30s. Plus your lack of good levelups also meant you had to grind your rear end off in a lot of cases because enemies got really loving tough even if you used the defend->attack system that I don't recall the game ever telling you about and I only knew of because of Nintendo Power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Man I forgot just how dark this game gets.