Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 minutes!
Batman goes from killing people in furtherance of his goal of murdering a good person to killing people in order to stop them from setting an old woman on fire. I think that's a pretty solid development, leaning away from "murderous lunatic."

Oh wait, we've already had this interaction weeks ago:

quote:

You: Yes, Alfred says that thing about "good men being cruel" but this is never explored or contextualized within the narrative, Batman is still murdering people like a maniac after his change of heart.

Me: Murdering people like a maniac? Killing people in order to stop them from burning an old lady to death doesn't sound like the most maniacal thing ever.

You: Okay, I concede to that, I was being dramatic. But here's the thing: Most of you are saying how Batman's got murderous recently and how that is so compellingly explored within the character (it isn't). But after he is redeemed by Superman's mum having the same name.... somehow. He still goes back to killing. It's almost as if Batman doesn't change at all as a character and that killing is just something this Batman does.
You acknowledge that what you're saying is fundamentally untrue but also ignore the fact that it means he absolutely has changed. And then after a while you just go back to saying the same thing.

Killing bad people who are going to burn an old woman to death is better than killing a good Superman who wants to save the world. Deciding to do the former instead of the latter is a pretty important change.

Martman fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Well, bats are known vectors for rabies. Maybe Batman is a carrier and it's turned him into a frothing-at-the-mouth murder machine.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Batman goes from "If there's a one percent chance this alien can destroy the world then that means I have to murder him" to "I have to save my Superman's mom" pretty quickly, because the Martha moment was like getting cold water dumped all over his head. There really isn't much more time to develop their relationship on a deeper level because Superman dies stopping Doomsday an hour later.

But Batman now has faith in Superman like the Apostle Paul to Jesus. Men are still good.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Martman posted:

How is he about this idea any more than any other character in the movie? Or most movies, for that matter.

It seems like you're describing the Cap in a way that isn't much of a description at all.

What are you talking about? I'm not describing an idea, I'm describing a process, specifically the process that brings people to have individual morals.

If someone asks "what is 'doing the right thing?'" then you have to give them a philosophical treatise. I'm not interested in doing that, especially on a question that's been debated for thousands of years.

TetsuoTW posted:

A sympathetic, but self-righteous prick known to occasionally be pig-headed, selfish, and gently caress things up sounds like a pretty spot-on description of America.

Yes, that's why I wrote down that second paragraph. But no matter how accurate it is, I just can't bring myself to give a poo poo. Steve is Steve.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation

HIJK posted:

What are you talking about? I'm not describing an idea, I'm describing a process, specifically the process that brings people to have individual morals.

If someone asks "what is 'doing the right thing?'" then you have to give them a philosophical treatise. I'm not interested in doing that, especially on a question that's been debated for thousands of years.
Iron Man is equally about "doing the right thing," when doing the right thing just means doing what you want.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

HIJK posted:

But no matter how accurate it is, I just can't bring myself to give a poo poo.
This was basically my problem with Civil War too.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Karloff posted:

Probably, I mean I could just be not brilliant and intelligent enough to understand Batman v Superman, which is of course, the smartest and best thing ever made. The greatest piece of storytelling since Shakepeare last put quill to paper.
People aren't dropping sick hot burns on you because you don't like BvS, they're doing it because you're kind of a dick about it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

I think what makes it look weird is that the skull, which is normally smaller than a normal head, is the same size as the head. That's what makes it weird for me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This isn't the place to post footage from Final Fantasy X on PS2.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Honestly that's better looking than I expected out of Agents of Shield.

Detective No. 27 posted:

This isn't the place to post footage from Final Fantasy X on PS2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5FTJxfV3pc

sub supau fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 21, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't even gotta click that link to know what it is.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I think that looks pretty good for TV. Even a little gruesome.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
I want it to just be Nicolas Cage's face underneath.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Karloff posted:

There is no poetry, Batman and Superman's issues are still unresolved. Batman is still a murderous lunatic, and Superman is still potentially dangerous, they are not friends even if they act like it [...]

The problem is that you can't even identify the issues at hand. Batman's problem isn't that he's a murderous lunatic (that's just him being an action hero), it's that he's not fighting for good and is planning to murder an innocent man. Superman's problem isn't that he's potentially dangerous, it's that everyone projects their fears and malice on him.

Lol at applying those arguments to action/adventure heroes

Karloff posted:

it's a pat, one-dimensional, overtly simplified, barely considered story telling beat that doesn't even scratch the surface of approaching a nuanced examination of the concepts of empathy, humanity or even exposes any thematic truth about the frictions that occur between ideologically or morally opposed people.

Probably, I mean I could just be not brilliant and intelligent enough to understand Batman v Superman

Lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You weren't filming anyone and nobody was filming you?

No, and it was at least ten thousand times shittier than the Lego Movie!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Ghost Rider and his car actually look pretty good, especially for a TV show. I was worried after the awkward looking promo pics Yahoo and Empire released.

Ghost Rider with a motorcycle will still always be the one true Ghost Rider to me though.

#NotMyRider

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

wasn't empire the magazine that had really godawful promo pics whenever an x-men movie was coming out

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Actually, I take it back. This will always be the true version of Ghost Rider to me.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Brother Entropy posted:

wasn't empire the magazine that had really godawful promo pics whenever an [x] movie was coming out

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Brother Entropy posted:

wasn't empire the magazine that had really godawful promo pics whenever an x-men movie was coming out

EW I get, but I have no idea why Empire runs that poo poo. Their features are usually somewhat decent.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Actually, I take it back. This will always be the true version of Ghost Rider to me.

He looks like he's having so much fun! :3:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

cool kids inc. posted:

He looks like he's having so much fun! :3:

how would you know? It's not like skeletons can frown.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Elfgames posted:

how would you know? It's not like skeletons can frown.

Do not tell the Punisher that.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
If Batman is a murderous lunatic, what do we think of Falcon casually immolating three men in the opening Lagos scene?

https://zippy.gfycat.com/HalfNastyAmericanbulldog.webm
They clearly pose no threat to him or Scarlet, who doesn't even bother to look in their direction. They matter so little, in fact, that Falcon turns his back on them, remaining completely unaffected by their weapons. At this point, Falcon doesn't order them to surrender or deploy a non-lethal gadget; he sentences them to death on the spot, their execution carried out through a video game on his tablet.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

seravid posted:

If Batman is a murderous lunatic, what do we think of Falcon casually immolating three men in the opening Lagos scene?

They clearly pose no threat to him or Scarlet, who doesn't even bother to look in their direction. They matter so little, in fact, that Falcon turns his back on them, remaining completely unaffected by their weapons. At this point, Falcon doesn't order them to surrender or deploy a non-lethal gadget; he sentences them to death on the spot, their execution carried out through a video game on his tablet.
Eh I don't really care

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Batman, beginning of the movie: "Nothing I did matters...Superman can and will tear it all down...people are bad and corruptible...I'm a failure" *glares angrily into the far distance*
Batman, end of the movie: "Men are still good...we should have hope...we have to do better...I failed Superman by doubting him" *sadly stares into the middle distance*
Karloff: "this guy is an unhinged lunatic; a complete maniac who has resolved nothing."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

seravid posted:

It's funny and cool.

Even in BvS. How can you not laugh at Batman hurling a wooden crate at a guy's head? I mean gatttdamn,

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Batman, beginning of the movie: "Nothing I did matters...Superman can and will tear it all down...people are bad and corruptible...I'm a failure" *glares angrily into the far distance*
Batman, end of the movie: "Men are still good...we should have hope...we have to do better...I failed Superman by doubting him" *sadly stares into the middle distance*
Karloff: "this guy is an unhinged lunatic; a complete maniac who has resolved nothing."

if batsman were a true hero he would turn himself in

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

seravid posted:

Yeah but Batman said he wouldn't kill people in a cartoon TV show 25 years ago so therefore

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Those were new rubber explosives invented by super genius Tony Stark. Those guys are fine, they were merely knocked out (probably no concussion or long term damage) and at most received some small scratch that may cause minor discomfort.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

computer parts posted:

Yeah but Batman said he wouldn't kill people in a cartoon TV show 25 years ago so therefore

He also said it in the much more highly visible and successful film series that ended in 2012 but you guys are super delusional about anything involving this, so I don't even know why I'm bothering to reply.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Codependent Poster posted:

He also said it in the much more highly visible and successful film series that ended in 2012 but you guys are super delusional about anything involving this, so I don't even know why I'm bothering to reply.

Oh, you mean the one where he killed people?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Is Batman not killing a part of his character or not? I mean established beyond movies and cartoons? Has that idea ever been referenced in the comics?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The only thing the Nolan movies make explicit about Batman killing is that he is no executioner.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you (from the Batmobile).

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Is Batman not killing a part of his character or not? I mean established beyond movies and cartoons? Has that idea ever been referenced in the comics?

It isn't some ironclad rule like a few of you pretend it is. Nobody except weirdly fetishistic nerds care about it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hold on there, guy. My only point was, it's been established as a character thing and while filmmakers and writers might push that, or completely ignore it, it's still there.

So it should be understandable why people get upset about it. Like let them bitch their boring points. Every writer has their vision of Batman. No Batman is the same.

My Batman, he murders people. He blows them up with Batbombs and shoves dynamite in people's pants and then kicks them into a manhole.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Murder is heroic.

But as someone pointed out earlier. Batman doesn't fire first. Every time he's visibly killed someone it was in response to deadly force used upon him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

So it should be understandable why people get upset about it. Like let them bitch their boring points. Every writer has their vision of Batman. No Batman is the same.

The people who complain about it in BvS have to actively ignore the plethora of other media in which he kills. It is an idiotic hill to die on. They don't even care about the who or why, they only care that he does.

• Locked thread