Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Phone :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
garyfischermanisanidiot2015

blk
Dec 19, 2009
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5784380496.html

This would be so pretty if the stance was unfucked.

I don't need another Miata, especially a short nose...look away, blk, look away...

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
The fact that it's a $4,000 1.6 with a junk suspension should be enough to keep looking away.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
The hard top by itself is around a thousand bux here. So really a $3000 1.6 short nose.

Possibly decent if the rest is in great shape. Like amazing shape with fresh bushings.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Even though it was clearly owned by an idiot, it's a decent deal IF it's in as good shape as it looks/should be for being a 70k mile car. Pretty easy to unfuck it if the fenders aren't destroyed from a poor roll job.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

destructo posted:

Even though it was clearly owned by an idiot, it's a decent deal IF it's in as good shape as it looks/should be for being a 70k mile car. Pretty easy to unfuck it if the fenders aren't destroyed from a poor roll job.

Pretty smoky inside, boooooooo

Excedrin
Jun 24, 2002
The Headache Medicine
So I bought a 1997 M edition that's somewhat modified. I've been tinkering and sorting out minor issues.

One remaining issue is that the brake light is always on.

I've traced that to the sensor that's in the reservoir of the master cylinder, when that sensor is unplugged the light goes off. The brake fluid level is fine (it's sitting exactly at the max fill line). The float itself does float.

For anyone who's rebuilt a master cylinder, and specifically the reservoir, is it possible to replace that switch/sensor/thinger? Does it require draining the reservoir?

I think it's this part 43-540A http://www.mazdastuff.com/Mazda-Part-Number-Index-p/nc72-43-540a.htm

Here's a part diagram if it helps.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Excedrin posted:

when that sensor is unplugged the light goes off.

The answer is somewhere here.

Excedrin
Jun 24, 2002
The Headache Medicine
I know the sensor/switch thingy is bad, I'm asking if anyone has experience with fixing or replacing one, I don't see how it fits together or whether it's possible to do without draining all the brake fluid.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's external to the master, snaps into place.

Excedrin
Jun 24, 2002
The Headache Medicine
Thanks! I didn't see how to remove it or how it worked, now I know, it's a reed switch and it seems to be fine.

Here's a pic of the insides (there's a tiny roll pin that holds the outer casing on)

When I hook my meter to the leads it beeps briefly, then goes silent, when I put a magnet next to it, it has a constant tone. So I'm thinking maybe there was/is a magnet on the float (or it's supposed to be on the float) and maybe now it's just hanging out in the bottom of the reservoir, I'll go check and report back.

edit: there's a 500 ohm resistor on the other side

edit2: Nope, float is fine, magnet is in the right place etc, has to be this reed switch, not sure exactly how but I'll get a new one and compare

Excedrin fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 20, 2016

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Excedrin posted:

has to be this reed switch, not sure exactly how but I'll get a new one and compare

You wasted more time on that switch than I would have. If the local auto parts store doesn't have it, get one from a junkyard.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Silly question, I've got a 90 Miata. I still have the original seats with the headrest speakers. If I replace the head unit, can I keep the headrest speaker functionality?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, they're just two small speakers in the headrest.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Anyone have old (crappy is fine) 1.6l Turbo manifolds laying around? T2 flange.

Trying to mock something up and i can't find any T2s for under $Texas.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hello! I'm looking to buy an NA Miata. I'm going to race the car. I want to have clear direction on how to build up the car. Who can show me where I might be able to find the rules to different spec Miata classes? Preferably something cheaper to run in, but not autox.

Also, which year/version NA might be best for this? I don't want to take a perfectly good road car off the street if I'm going to replace most of its desirable components.

I live in Connecticut, if location dictates a regional organization or something.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 21, 2016

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

um excuse me posted:

Hello! I'm looking to buy an NA Miata. I'm going to race the car. I want to have clear direction on how to build up the car. Who can show me where I might be able to find the rules to different spec Miata classes? Preferably something cheaper to run in, but not autox.

Also, which year/version NA might be best for this? I don't want to take a perfectly good road car off the street if I'm going to replace most of its desirable components.

Buy someone else's race car. It will save you lots of money in the long run.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Buy a midpack Spec Miata for 10k and then read the rule books for both NASA's SM and PT* classes.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Yes buy someone else's money pit race car. This rule also applies to restoring a car.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
At SCCA National Championships level, you want a '99, last I checked. Otherwise it probably doesn't matter a hell of a lot, but the 1.8 cars are probably better than the 1.6 cars.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

um excuse me posted:

I live in Connecticut, if location dictates a regional organization or something.

Rules are on the SCCA web site and NASA's web site. Watch out for cars that haven't been raced in awhile, they may need some updating to go racing again. Belts need replaced every few years and rule changes to cages, fire systems, etc may have been added that would need done before you can go racing.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Looking at NASA in your area PTE doesn't appear to be a class that actually has anyone running in it. So if you want to run NASA build a Spec Miata. I have no idea how SCCA works, there are a million regions/divisions/series and none of it makes sense from the outside. Spec Miata, ITA or STL are the classes Miatas typically run in.

TL;DR

Build/buy a Spec Miata using a 1999 chassis.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I really appreciate the help fellas. Not sure what I'll end up doing, but you guys have set me up to take a step in the right direction.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

FatCow posted:

Looking at NASA in your area PTE doesn't appear to be a class that actually has anyone running in it. So if you want to run NASA build a Spec Miata. I have no idea how SCCA works, there are a million regions/divisions/series and none of it makes sense from the outside. Spec Miata, ITA or STL are the classes Miatas typically run in.

TL;DR

Build/buy a Spec Miata using a 1999 chassis.

SCCA biased guy here - just stick with the TL;DR version. Improved Touring is a regionals (or whatever they call regionals this week) only class anyway, is going to be a little more expensive than Spec Miata, not a hell of a lot faster, and have fewer people running... and you can just run a Spec Miata in it anyway and be close to on pace if you're good. STL is cool but you can just run a Spec Miata in it and be mid-pack with all the other people running Spec Miatas in STL. E-Production, F-Production and STU are also viable Miata classes but all of them get to be big money, big maintenance needs, and harder to drive. Dad and I made the jump from an IT class RX-7 to an EP class one and once we got behind the 8-ball on maintenance, stuff constantly breaking at the track almost killed our desire to keep racing.

So just build/buy a '99 Spec Miata if you want to try to win championships, or some other year if you just want to go racing; the "other year" ones might be significantly cheaper and in all seriousness I'm skeptical that even if the 99 is minutely better, it's enough to matter for even 90% of a Nationals field. If you're smart, you put a couple sets of class letters on the side - ITA, STL and SM will typically be in at least two run groups, and since an SM will be legal and competitive-ish for all 3, you can typically run twice as many sessions per day as normal, maybe even three times... which is the real Spec Miata secret.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
The 1.6 cars have gotten some good allowances this year. We can now port the exhaust manifolds since the welds inside them are all different, it's good for 1-3hp. We're also allowed to remove the driver side turn signal housing to get cooler air to the intake. In the northwest region we have a lot more 1.6 cars and all the front runners here are using them. At the big rose cup race we had a mazda factory driver in a 99 car that ended up coming in 5th out of 36. They were all pretty close though. I'm not sure how it is with regions on the eastern side of the country though. It seems to depend on the track too since the 1.6's are lower weight and we can either use the torsen or mazdaspeed(maybe cusco now) clutch type LSD. I've heard they're better for more technical tracks because of those things.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

41 out of 47 cars at the runoffs this year are NBs, and most of those are 99s, but like I said, I suspect some of that is confirmation bias - the fast guys run 99s because the other fast guys say the 99 is the car to have and they have the ability to put together whatever, so the 99s are fastest. But then, like I said, none of this is going to matter for most drivers anyway.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

mekilljoydammit posted:

41 out of 47 cars at the runoffs this year are NBs, and most of those are 99s, but like I said, I suspect some of that is confirmation bias - the fast guys run 99s because the other fast guys say the 99 is the car to have and they have the ability to put together whatever, so the 99s are fastest. But then, like I said, none of this is going to matter for most drivers anyway.

Well poo poo. That doesn't help anyone see if the 1.6 improvements really helped them either. Oh well, I'm still happy with my 1.6 even though it dropped a valve at the last racing during my co-drivers race. I was planning on getting a "pro" built head and rebuilding the bottom end anyways, so not that big of a deal. Hopefully that and actually getting the car corner balanced and aligned for me will help me get closer to the front of the mid-pack.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Fastest NA in qualifying was around 0.8 off pole and qualified 16th out of 45. Jesse Prather was 1.5 seconds off pole in an NA too. Of course we'll see how the race turns out and all that jazz; does seem like some fast guys are trying the NA solution though.

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2XAsGInQds

Clip of me drifting the $600 1.8 Swapped Miata. I'm getting a little bit better at it :D

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
I'm away for two weeks and winter is coming, so today I stashed away my MX-5 for the winter. Will miss her. :sigh:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Jeez, the weather just broke for the first time today. It's been brutal this year.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Have a little video of driving slow at this years "miatas in boone" events. Forgive the music, all it is covering up is wind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ushAfALxKO8

I have some cool faster POV stuff i might post over the next few weeks.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 25, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
double yellow

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

next time point the camera forward so i can see the truck before it hits you

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
That can be arranged (Forward facing videos coming).

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 26, 2016

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

Phone posted:

double yellow

HA, look at who's talking.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
at least make it count

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was asked to join a group of friends as a part of their SCCA "team." Does my NC require a roll bar if I were to autoX it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You only need a rollbar for HPDE. If you've rolled a car at autocross, half a dozen things went terribly wrong.