Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Would you like to show your work on undecideds "not following politics closely" goonsire?

Ipso facto, not having an opinion on for whom you'll vote would seem to indicate that you don't follow politics closely AND/OR that you genuinely find attributes/policies to like/dislike in both candidates AND/OR (this seems to be the major hypothesis on this forum) that you're retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Edible Hat posted:

What are you getting out of having the mindset of calling these people stupid? Does it make you feel better? Will interacting with your fellow citizen with this in your mind eventually encourage them to vote for Clinton? (This is working off the assumption that there is SOME connection between what you write here and what you do elsewhere, which you don't seem to think is the case.)

why do I give a gently caress about convincing someone who is either a) lying and actually has decided who to vote for, b) is not going to vote, or c) is so capricious about their vote that they're unsure about the well-known Evil Bigoted Conman who's been in the public consciousness for decades

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

vyelkin posted:

Don't forget

Fewer than 40% of Americans think you can't tell the future from the Bible. Just 40% think we're definitely not living in the Biblical End Times. And nearly 60% of Americans are open to literalist interpretations of the Bible.

These polls have to be "dumb olds who still answer their phone or door any time someone calls" rather than "Americans." If the survey participants are "Voters" I'll buy the responses since olds vote way, way more than youngins' with their fancy secular views and such.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Phone posted:

Post it and then I'll share it in the NC thread without attributing all of your hard work.
Crossposting from QUILTBAG, but here, HB2 poll analysis (and quoting Phone so they can be a thief share it).

So, PPP released a North Carolina poll today with a treasure trove of HB2 questions: http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_NC_92116.pdf

So, base questions (questions 26-35 in the poll):
  • Do you support or oppose House Bill 2? 33% support, 47% oppose, 20% not sure
  • Do you approve or disapprove of how Governor Pat McCrory has handled HB2? 39% approve, 49% disapprove, 11% not sure
  • Does Governor McCrory’s handling of HB2 make you more or less likely to vote for him this fall, or does it not make a difference? More Likely 30%, Less Likely 41%, Does not make a difference 23%, Not sure 6%
  • Overall, do you think HB2 is helping or hurting North Carolina? Helping 23%, hurting 59%, not sure 18%
  • Do you think House Bill 2 has had a positive or negative impact on the North Carolina economy, or has it not made a difference? Positive 10%, negative 59%, no difference: 23%, not sure 8%
  • Do you think House Bill 2 has had a positive or negative impact on North Carolina’s reputation nationally, or has it not made a difference? Positive 21%, negative 53%, no difference 19%, not sure 7%
  • Do you think House Bill 2 has made North Carolina safer, or not? 31% safer, 49% has not, 19% not sure
  • Do you think that HB2 should be repealed, or do you think it should be kept in place? 52% repealed, 32% kept, 16% not sure.
  • Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of LGBT people? 47% fav, 19% unfav, 34% not sure.
  • (Tangential, but relevant:) On General Assembly using >9mil to defend laws it passed: 18% support it, 56% oppose, 26% not sure.

Crosstabs! PPP's are the best :allears: Though they are missing one that I would love (forced governor choice). Ah wells, sent them a request on twitter for them, who knows if they'll respond. All numbers will presented in the same order as the questions' numbers were. I'm not going to go full tilt here unless someone really wants a specific one, but some choice highlights (mostly just views of HB2).
  • Unsurprisingly, a majority of Trump supporters support HB2 (54/24/22). Some of Hillary's do as well, but much less: 15/67/18.
  • For ideology (Very lib, somewhat lib, mod, someone con, very con) has a weird breakdown. Very Lib has the highest support of HB2 outside of the two con groupings, the highest oppose, and the least not sures at 21/73/6, and somewhat lib is 13/62/24, moderate 17/54/29, and somewhat and very con are 46/33/21 and 69/16/16 respectively.
  • Men support HB2 more compared to women: 37/48/16 vs 30/46/25 respectively
  • HB2 support Party breakdown: Dems: 23/60/17, Reps: 56/23/21, Ind/Other: 24/49/27
  • HB2 racial breakdown: whites: 38/42/19, African-Americans 17/67/16, Rest: 29/59/13
  • HB2 age breakdown: 18-29: 33/39/28; 30-45: 33/50/17; 46-65: 33/49/17; 66+ 32/43/25
  • LGBTQ Favorability by party: Dems: 54/14/32, Reps: 22/34/43, Ind/Other 61/11/28
  • LGBTQ Favorability by race: whites: 49/20/31, African-Americans: 38/16/46, Rest: 60/17/23
  • LGBTQ Favorability by age: 18-29: 61/16/23; 30-45: 61/20/19; 46-65: 42/17/41; 66+ 32/23/45

The biggest thing that stands out is the 18-29 age breakdown. How the gently caress do you get 61% of that group saying LGBTQ are cool and only 39% saying HB2 is trash? :psyduck:

There you go, any more crosstabs on request, or you can look at them yourself.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

What do you get out of dutifully defending the honor of faceless "undecided voters" on a comedy forum? Does it make you feel better? Etc.

It does, actually. I also think convincing you (as a Clinton supporter) to not insult undecided voters will help the Clinton campaign. As another Clinton supporter, that does make me feel better as well.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

woke wedding drone posted:

It's certainly strategically neutral to insult undecided voters. After all if they can't find the information they need to vote for Clinton, how are they going to find my insults?

You just wait on that mega reddit dox thread.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Edible Hat posted:

It does, actually. I also think convincing you (as a Clinton supporter) to not insult undecided voters will help the Clinton campaign. As another Clinton supporter, that does make me feel better as well.

I am sure that any of us actually talking to an undecided voter irl, would be sure to mention how dumb we think they are.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Noam Chomsky posted:

These polls have to be "dumb olds who still answer their phone or door any time someone calls" rather than "Americans." If the survey participants are "Voters" I'll buy the responses since olds vote way, way more than youngins' with their fancy secular views and such.

Actually, the YouGov surveys are done online. They get a big opt-in sample and then randomly select a smaller sample that is representative of the national population to give a loving huge online survey with like 200 questions. It's not the best methodology and certainly has its own problems compared to more traditional methods but it's probably the one most likely to oversample young people who are comfortable with computers and the internet, and weed out technoilliterate old people.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Edible Hat posted:

How misguided.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Edible Hat posted:

Your creepy insistence that all my words and deeds should be in service of Clinton's campaign are giving me pause about the concept of voting, so you should feel awful.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Hello, this is BI NOW GAY LATER calling on behalf of the Hillary Clinton campaign and I wondered if you had made up your mind about who you were planning to support in the presidential election this year?

Oh you haven't? Jesus christ you're loving moron. Vote Hillary you loving idiot.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

iospace posted:

The biggest thing that stands out is the 18-29 age breakdown. How the gently caress do you get 61% of that group saying LGBTQ are cool and only 39% saying HB2 is trash? :psyduck:

Skimming it, the survey just asks about HB2. It doesn't explain what it is.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

vyelkin posted:

Actually, the YouGov surveys are done online. They get a big opt-in sample and then randomly select a smaller sample that is representative of the national population to give a loving huge online survey with like 200 questions. It's not the best methodology and certainly has its own problems compared to more traditional methods but it's probably the one most likely to oversample young people who are comfortable with computers and the internet, and weed out technoilliterate old people.

Well, poo poo...

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 21, 2016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Doredrin posted:

How is Trump even competitive in Florida where around 37% of the population is either black or latino?

That is actually one correct way of going about it, but it takes an amount of skill that the vast majority of politicians lack.
One poll here in FL showed white people 51-30 for Trump.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Edible Hat posted:

What if they were leaning Trump but my sick burns convince them to stay home and post cooking videos on Facebook instead?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

iospace posted:

I'm gonna say it's people who are alright with the LGB part but not the T part.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Noam Chomsky posted:

well, poo poo...

Also unfortunately, YouGov either doesn't do or doesn't release crosstabs so we just have to kind of guess who's answering those questions in which ways.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

eviltastic posted:

Skimming it, the survey just asks about HB2. It doesn't explain what it is.

That's what I'm guessing, but it was a national news thing, not some local thing. It'd be like someone not knowing about Act 10 if you asked them about it in 2011 in Wisconsin.

Pakled posted:

I'm gonna say it's people who are alright with the LGB part but not the T part.

Or this. Either or (this one is worse than pure ignorance)

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

vyelkin posted:

Also unfortunately, YouGov either doesn't do or doesn't release crosstabs so we just have to kind of guess who's answering those questions in which ways.

In any case I'd assume someone with the time and inclination to fill out a 200 question survey online probably doesn't have a lot going on in their lives and maybe not upstairs. It's probably another one of my dumbass assumptions, but I'd assume most people who don't think we're actually living in the end times or that the bible can predict the future would have time for or interest in that.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Hello, this is BI NOW GAY LATER calling on behalf of the Hillary Clinton campaign and I wondered if you had made up your mind about who you were planning to support in the presidential election this year?

Oh you haven't? Jesus christ you're loving moron. Vote Hillary you loving idiot.

You've perfectly captured how I interact with undecided voters irl, eery

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hi, I hear you haven't made up your mind between Literally Hitler and Literally Not Hitler. That's cool. You seem reasonable and not an idiot, tell me more about your concerns.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

vyelkin posted:

They do, I've dug into them before. You just need to know where to look. For example, the crosstabs for that 13 state poll they just did: https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/aya8wdzyb3/Battleground_ForRelease_20160918%20(1).pdf

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I would phone bank every day if I was allowed to do this.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I am sure that any of us actually talking to an undecided voter irl, would be sure to mention how dumb we think they are.

These people are your coworkers, neighbors, etc. They likely know whom you support. Your belief about how stupid they are will affect how you interact with them, even if you don't state that you think they're dumb explicitly. Their association of Clinton with your generally dismissive attitude towards them will, at the level of the lizard brain, have some effect on their decision in November. I am not asserting this would be a major or decisive effect. I am saying, as a rule, you shouldn't be a dick. I also think you might feel better if you stop thinking 15 percent of the population is dumb. :)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

iospace posted:

They do, I've dug into them before. You just need to know where to look. For example, the crosstabs for that 13 state poll they just did: https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/aya8wdzyb3/Battleground_ForRelease_20160918%20(1).pdf

Hmm, you're right and actually I found the crosstabs for the poll I was looking at. I'll take a look and dig up some good info

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Edible Hat posted:

These people are your coworkers, neighbors, etc. They likely know whom you support. Your belief about how stupid they are will affect how you interact with them, even if you don't state that you think they're dumb explicitly. Their association of Clinton with your generally dismissive attitude towards them will, at the level of the lizard brain, have some effect on their decision in November. I am not asserting this would be a major or decisive effect. I am saying, as a rule, you shouldn't be a dick. I also think you might feel better if you stop thinking 15 percent of the population is dumb. :)

Sounds like they need a safe space.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hillary Clinton op-ed in the NYT on her plans to address poverty:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/21/opinion/hillary-clinton-my-plan-for-helping-americas-poor.html?ref=opinion

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Edible Hat posted:

are you real

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not the biggest fan of Don Lemon but the amount of patience he has with Lewandowski is saint like.

http://crooksandliars.com/2016/09/watch-don-lemon-has-had-it-trumps-racism

This is the 3rd or 4th clip I've seen of them going at it the last few weeks and I don't know how he holds back as much as he does. I would leap across the desk and strangle him if I had to listen to that.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Edible Hat posted:

I also think you might feel better if you stop thinking 15 percent of the population is dumb. :)

Oh, way more than 15 percent of the population is dumb, these ones are just dumb in a unique sort of way.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Your creepy insistence that all my words and deeds should be in service of Clinton's campaign are giving me pause about the concept of voting, so you should feel awful.

I am saying don't call strangers dumb.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Edible Hat posted:

I think a lot of people would feel better if we could trick ourselves into believing things that aren't true.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Edible Hat posted:

I just snorted IRL

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

On Terra Firma posted:

I'm not the biggest fan of Don Lemon but the amount of patience he has with Lewandowski is saint like.

http://crooksandliars.com/2016/09/watch-don-lemon-has-had-it-trumps-racism

This is the 3rd or 4th clip I've seen of them going at it the last few weeks and I don't know how he holds back as much as he does. I would leap across the desk and strangle him if I had to listen to that.

I like the part where Trump inferred that blacks were better off under slavery.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Edible Hat posted:

Anybody who considers voting for Trump is either dumb or an rear end in a top hat (or both).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Edible Hat posted:

I would feel a lot better if I only thought that 15% of the population were dumb.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Andrast posted:

Anybody who considers voting for Trump is either dumb or an rear end in a top hat (or both).

Or a racist rear end in a top hat who is also dumb.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

*looks at polling*

Yeah 15% seems p low.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Edible Hat posted:

They're all too dumb to be capable of reading so as long as I don't say anything out loud they can't get their feelings hurt. I make sure to carry a lolly with me to cheer them up if I meet them in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Edible Hat posted:

Can I call your quixotic quest to end jokes dumb? Because it's dumb

• Locked thread