Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

For context Mi Abuela's numbers with the terminally stupid are 10/75

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Edible Hat posted:

I am making no assertions. I am, of course, making a generalization about the mindset of the people who have not decided whom to vote for already in this election. Secondarily, I am arguing that calling all undecided voters dumb is both unhelpful in encouraging them to vote for Clinton and empirically unverified.

You're making an assertion that undecided voters are "hard working stiffs who don't have time to follow politics closely" and following that up with us, on a comedy forum, talking among ourselves about how we think undecideds are strange matters.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Haha, that PPP poll:

quote:

-By a 30/23 spread, Trump voters in North Carolina say they have a higher opinion of David Duke than they do of Hillary Clinton.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

computer parts posted:

Like imagine if Joe Lieberman was the Dem nominee. Even though he's a terrible vile man, do you think he's worse than Trump? Would you vote for him to keep Trump out of office? I would.
*shudders*

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You're making an assertion that undecided voters are "hard working stiffs who don't have time to follow politics closely" and following that up with us, on a comedy forum, talking among ourselves about how we think undecideds are strange matters.

They don't have time to follow politics because they're too busy reading goons insulting them and getting very offended and are now voting for Trump!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Defense Attorney Sparks Black Lives Matter Protest After Refusing To Remove Pin

quote:

LAS VEGAS (AP) — A defense attorney touched off a protest about race and free expression in a Las Vegas courtroom when she refused to remove a "Black Lives Matter" button from her blouse despite a judge's request not to demonstrate what he called "political speech."

Clark County District Court Judge Douglas Herndon asked Erika Ballou, a deputy public defender who is black, to remove the button or leave the courtroom and turn the case she was handling over to another lawyer.

"I'm asking the same thing of defense attorneys that I ask of anybody else," the judge said. "Please leave any kind of political or opinion protest statements outside the courtroom."

quote:

"We are certain that the courts would not allow similar public displays from citizens who believe that killers should be sentenced to death or that sexual predators should be castrated," Las Vegas Police Protective Association director Steve Grammas wrote. "While we embrace the First Amendment, we do not believe that such statements should be made in the halls of justice."

The concepts of death, torture and black lives mattering are equal

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Don King might be the only person who is an even shadier motherfucker than Donald Trump.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cheesus posted:

Jesus, today's On Point about Trump's "charities"...

Around the middle of the show a caller called in with the view that while he understood and agreed with the guest's investigation that Trump's charity is 100% bullshit, that no matter how bad it sounded, it doesn't matter since we now live in a post-fact society. The very next caller called for the Clinton Foundation to be investigated similarly because it was unfair to dogpile on Clinton (the host reminded the caller that last week the spent a show on her charities).

Infuriating.

However, after the next segment two callers (both women) said they were Republican-leaning and wanted to reassure the first caller that this investigation did matter to them. They had been either on the fence or voting for Trump but after this news, were going to vote for Clinton.

I'm glad I was sitting down.

I can respect anyone who's willing to change their mind in the face of new facts, because that usually takes some humility and openness, but come on did it really take them this long?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/778433050401185793

ah yes, racism is over

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The only assertion I am making perhaps is that undecided voters THINK that (note the quotations marks in the initial post) and I am also making the pretty mundane argument that the mindset that every undecided voter is stupid is an unhelpful one. You guys are really weird: that's an assertion, I guess.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

iospace posted:

One other thing (UNLESS SOMEONE DISTRACTS ME AGAIN FROM DOING THE HB2 POST): NC Senate race is tied 41/41.

Nice, drat nice.

Donald Trump cares about black people. No, really.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Another bang up police union/association comment that I'm totally sure does not speak at all for the members.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Yes, on the other hand the same group gives Clinton a -65 approval rating, 10% favourable to 75% unfavourable. Then again they break for Obama over Trump 62-5. So maybe Obama should hold a few rallies in NC on Clinton's behalf.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

computer parts posted:

You have to keep in mind that many Republicans view Hillary exactly the same way you view Trump. Like a few have the "she is the literal Antichrist" mantra going around but the vast majority of them just see her as exactly the thing that will cause America's downfall and we have to fight against her by any means necessary.

Like imagine if Joe Lieberman was the Dem nominee. Even though he's a terrible vile man, do you think he's worse than Trump? Would you vote for him to keep Trump out of office? I would.

As someone who would not vote not Hillary if she was on the ballot here, I find it stupid because the things I disagree with, are not things that are issues that the right leaning people are upset about, but rather Benghazi and all the other bullshit that I find to be overblown, if not false, and don't really stand up to scrutiny. And if I was American, I would vote Hillary, because the republicans are even worse, and being left and voting against both the Republicans and the Democrats still helps the republicans more, with Jill Stein is being a poo poo candidate on her own anyhow.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
"If I'm elected I'm going to make all black people's lives better, but also they're idiots and racism doesn't exist"

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Edible Hat posted:

The only assertion I am making perhaps is that undecided voters THINK that (note the quotations marks in the initial post) and I am also making the pretty mundane argument that the mindset that every undecided voter is stupid is an unhelpful one. You guys are really weird: that's an assertion, I guess.

They are loving braindead stupid, though.

Especially this go-round.

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot
How is Trump even competitive in Florida where around 37% of the population is either black or latino?

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

"If I'm elected I'm going to make all black people's lives better, but also they're idiots and racism doesn't exist"

That is actually one correct way of going about it, but it takes an amount of skill that the vast majority of politicians lack.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Doredrin posted:

How is Trump even competitive in Florida where around 37% of the population is either black or latino?

The same reason he's competitive in any deep south state: white people.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Doredrin posted:

Likely a combination of white people breaking for him by high double digits and pollsters figuring that Black and Latino Floridians will have lower turnout rates.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Yes, on the other hand the same group gives Clinton a -65 approval rating, 10% favourable to 75% unfavourable. Then again they break for Obama over Trump 62-5. So maybe Obama should hold a few rallies in NC on Clinton's behalf.

A few more, all across the state. Charlotte is where he first spoke with Hillary on the campaign trail, and that was during one of her worst weeks.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Doredrin posted:

Because 63% of the population is neither black nor Latino? Is this a trick question?

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

They are loving braindead stupid, though.

Especially this go-round.

Or, maybe, just maybe, they don't value following electoral politics as much as you do? (And what does it say about these "braindead stupid" people that they overwhelmingly support Obama?)

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

vyelkin posted:

Likely a combination of white people breaking for him by high double digits and pollsters figuring that Black and Latino Floridians will have lower turnout rates.

23% of the national vote in 2012 was either black or hispanic.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Because 63% of the population is neither black nor Latino? Is this a trick question?

Yes and you would need an overwhelming majority of white votes to make up for the difference. I have no idea how republicans are competitive in many states.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Doredrin posted:

23% of the national vote in 2012 was either black or hispanic.

Yes and you would need an overwhelming majority of white votes to make up for the difference. I have no idea how republicans are competitive in many states.

28.5% of the national population in 2010 was either black or latino, so yeah they were underrepresented.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Edible Hat posted:

Or, maybe, just maybe, they don't value following electoral politics as much as you do? (And what does it say about these "braindead stupid" people that they overwhelmingly support Obama?)

Stupid people can occasionally stumble upon a correct opinion, much like a drunkard stumbling upon a moment of clarity and inspiration

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Edible Hat posted:

you know I haven't heard much about this trump fella, wonder what he stands for --the average american

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Edible Hat posted:

Obviously we follow politics to a degree that is unrealistic for an average person, but surely anyone interested in forming an opinion between Hillary and Trump could easily have done it in the past year or so.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

vyelkin posted:

Don't forget

Fewer than 40% of Americans think you can't tell the future from the Bible. Just 40% think we're definitely not living in the Biblical End Times. And nearly 60% of Americans are open to literalist interpretations of the Bible.

the nice thing is that these people think the bible can loving predict the future and they still dont read it divination is condemned throughout the bible and the use of the bible as divination is specifically condemned at least once iirc

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Edible Hat posted:

Would you like to show your work on undecideds "not following politics closely" goonsire?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WampaLord posted:

Obviously we follow politics to a degree that is unrealistic for an average person, but surely anyone interested in forming an opinion between Hillary and Trump could easily have done it in the past year or so.

It's pretty easy to avoid news if you don't watch TV every day.

Even if you do, just don't watch CNN et all and you can be insulated from 90% of it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Yeah and my dentist thinks surely I could have started flossing more regularly by now.

I simultaneously sympathize with undecided voters and think many of them are dumb.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

Stupid people can occasionally stumble upon a correct opinion, much like a drunkard stumbling upon a moment of clarity and inspiration

What are you getting out of having the mindset of calling these people stupid? Does it make you feel better? Will interacting with your fellow citizen with this in your mind eventually encourage them to vote for Clinton? (This is working off the assumption that there is SOME connection between what you write here and what you do elsewhere, which you don't seem to think is the case.)

Doredrin
Sep 5, 2016

by zen death robot

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah and my dentist thinks surely I could have started flossing more regularly by now.

I simultaneously sympathize with undecided voters and think many of them are dumb.

Tell your dentist to get with the times:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/f7e66079d9ba4b4985d7af350619a9e3/medical-benefits-dental-floss-unproven

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Edible Hat posted:

I am also making the pretty mundane argument that the mindset that every undecided voter is stupid is an unhelpful one.

Every undecided voter is a moron. It has nothing to do with how busy they are. Insulting them might not be strategically helpful, but it doesn't change reality.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Edible Hat posted:

What are you getting out of having the mindset of calling these people stupid? Does it make you feel better? Will interacting with your fellow citizen with this in your mind eventually encourage them to vote for Clinton? (This is working off the assumption that there is SOME connection between what you write here and what you do elsewhere, which you don't seem to think is the case.)

None of my friends are dumb enough to be undecided voters, and I don't talk politics with strangers.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Edible Hat posted:

That's all very interesting, sir, but you're holding up the line.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Every undecided voter is a moron. It has nothing to do with how busy they are. Insulting them might not be strategically helpful, but it doesn't change reality.

Nor does our opinion that we're airing to each other really effect anything.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's certainly strategically neutral to insult undecided voters. After all if they can't find the information they need to vote for Clinton, how are they going to find my insults?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Edible Hat posted:

What do you get out of dutifully defending the honor of faceless "undecided voters" on a comedy forum? Does it make you feel better? Etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

This election is basically fascism vs. not and has been since the conventions. Undecideds are embarrassed that they are fascists, hence "undecided."

• Locked thread