Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I like Gloryhammer, Lich King (when I'm in the mood), and Havok (but only really Burn). Is there a fourth band for me?

uhhh hello thread Sabaton???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
right but there's a lot of power metal bands that are actually good and would therefore be preferable to recommending alestorm and sabaton.

just listen to lost horizon and galneryus basically

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don't really like much of his music but if you "hate" Devin then you're loving garbage and need to stop being such a try hard idiot.

lol so much salt

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Devin is god.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

H13 posted:

Devin is god.
Actually, he uses humour, and ergo thusly he is a blemish upon metal's art's.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
God just shut the gently caress up about Devin Townsend, christ

edit: to be clear, I mean both sides here

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nordick posted:

Well if you like Gloryhammer you might as well embrace the cheese further and listen to Alestorm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzONnhxrWk

I actually don't like Alestorm.

PS Sabaton for me is a band with one song I like per album. Tends to get repetitive. Same with Running Wild, outside of one or two albums.

E: Van Canto when they are doing songs/covers that actually gel with their style

Name Change fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Sep 21, 2016

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

weekling posted:

the candiru ive heard sounds industrial and not nearly as dissonant or abrasive.

Huh, I can't remember ever hearing from anyone else who'd even heard of Candiru. You're talking about a 90s industrial metal band that released an album called "Unloved and weeded out" which had samples from Naked Lunch and poo poo on it, right? Listened quite a bit to that for a while back in the day.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Came back for the name change. Rest in peace, BT - you made my childhood painting warhams extra magical :allears:

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

E: Van Canto when they are doing songs/covers that actually gel with their style

I wish they gelled songs as much as their hair tbqh

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
to the guy that likes garbage power metal: just embrace rhapsody of fire and the Perfect Art of luca turilli already!!

Tias
May 25, 2008

a fleshy snood posted:

to the guy that likes garbage power metal: just embrace rhapsody of fire and the Perfect Art of luca turilli already!!

Manowar: all day, erry day. Blind Guardian, while you're at it. No school like the old school imho

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

a fleshy snood posted:

Luca Turilli's solo project is the better version of Rhapsody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDBHDeiVxao

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

COOL CORN posted:

Luca Turilli's solo project is the better version of Rhapsody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDBHDeiVxao

Yeah I agree, and Prophet of the Last eclipse is probably his best album.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Tias posted:

Manowar: all day, erry day. Blind Guardian, while you're at it. No school like the old school imho

If he's going to listen to old power metal then something like Omen would be better than Manowar.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
thats a robot from front mission

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

A TURGID FATSO posted:

It's clear that you've never listened to The Browning.

what the gently caress is this

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I find Rhapsody and Turilli's solo stuff bad and exceedingly boring. Rhapsody is worse though, because of Fabio Lione. I realize this is probably weird since I enjoy other orchestrated goofy poo poo like Pathfinder etc.

But despite all that, ultimately my heart will still always belong to the guitar-driven, no-frills style of pm like Gamma Ray and the likes.

Tias
May 25, 2008

A human heart posted:

If he's going to listen to old power metal then something like Omen would be better than Manowar.

I will fight you

E: Omen is cool, but they're not the kings of metal, now are they :colbert:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Tias posted:

I will fight you

I just don't think they're very good, musically speaking.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Tias posted:

I will fight you

Battle Cry has the best goddamn album cover, though. Just look at that loving thing. (Google it if you have to.)

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Manowar sucks really hard

Tias
May 25, 2008

Groke posted:

Battle Cry has the best goddamn album cover, though. Just look at that loving thing. (Google it if you have to.)

Okay that owns

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

nerve posted:

Manowar sucks really hard

Very true, but sometimes their music loving owns.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Nordick posted:

Very true, but sometimes their music loving owns.

This, essentially. I doubt they are without a sense of irony, and if they are, it's even more entertaining. They remain my favorite band, though they haven't put out anything good for ages.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I choose to believe that Manowar has no sense of irony or self awareness in their songs or lyrics and it makes listening to them so much more enjoyable.

"May your sword stay wet/like a young girl in her prime/hold your hammers high"

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Joey DeMaio is definitely serious.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
God damnit why did Opeth have to get so loving boring, the single just posted on metalinjection is just UUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Dude it's so bad. I'm a complete sucker for that style of heinously derivative 70s throwback psych-rock but they're just so loving bad at it.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Hulk Krogan posted:

Dude it's so bad. I'm a complete sucker for that style of heinously derivative 70s throwback psych-rock but they're just so loving bad at it.

I can dig the tone but everything else about it is blah

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I'm totally down with '70s prog and holy gently caress did I love Opeth at one point, but jesus they're really terrible at this.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I'm totally down with '70s prog and holy gently caress did I love Opeth at one point, but jesus they're really terrible at this.

actually why don't you kill yourself b.c. Mikael Akerfeldt is literally perfect and there's no such thing as legitimate criticism of art you're just jealous

-Opeth fans

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I bailed on Opeth when I saw them live after the release of Deliverance and Mikael would not loving shut up about Camel. I think he even literally opened with "you probably haven't heard of them". Just couldn't listen to their music anymore after that without getting douche chills

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Should have broke up when Lindgren left the band...

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Vargatron posted:

Should have broke up when Lindgren left the band...

Or just changed their name at least.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
The thing with Opeth is there are bands that do (past & present) what they are trying to do a lot better. What they did from Orchid thru Damnation ('95 - '02) will never be touched.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
If you're pining for old Opeth just listen to Anciients

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I used to be a huge Opeth fanboy, and I now treat them the same way I treat Van Halen(another of my favorite bands): I pretend they all died in a plane crash the day after their last good album dropped.

In my mind VanHagar never happened, and Opeth never made a bad album. :c00lbert:

It's just easier that way, than seeing something you like turn to total poo poo.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
"Regrettably, Opeth's last album was Ghost Reveries before Mikael choked to death while auto-fellating."

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Watershed was good, which makes the poor quality of their 70s prog wankery records that much more disappointing.

Edit: Also, King of the "too bad they broke up/died after X album" bands has definitely got to be Queensryche. I was so sad when Geoff Tate left after Empire to pursue his life's dream of playing Bert in a puppet-less version of Sesame Street, but I think it was for the best.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Hulk Krogan posted:

Watershed was good, which makes the poor quality of their 70s prog wankery records that much more disappointing.
I made it about 12 minutes into Watershed before I had to turn it off. It didn't click with me the way Blackwater Park did.