Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
So the console players are getting the full sto experience then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
I can't imagine how lovely the experience is on any console other than PC. Did they make the graphics look better at least or is it just a port?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yes, and also redid interface

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
hahaha an error like that on the very first lockboxes will completely kill the revenue on the console versions.

Idiots had one job.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

Flying the Galaxy is frustrating as gently caress. That thing can't turn to save its life.

Let me tell you about carriers an how they turn.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

wjs5 posted:

Carriers might be the ideal ship for that dumb reverse trait in TA

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

wjs5 posted:

Let me tell you about the kelvin timeline intel dreadnought carrier vengeance class federation battleship ex plus alpha. It turns just fine.

It's also a cruiser. Intel. Stealth. Temporal ship.

randombattle fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 20, 2016

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.
https://twitter.com/LaughingTrendy/status/778253319919718400

:patriot:

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Ballot stuffing where no one has stuffed ballots before!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A Fancy Bloke posted:

hahaha an error like that on the very first lockboxes will completely kill the revenue on the console versions.

Idiots had one job.

At least you still have lobi, right?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

18 Character Limit posted:

Ballot stuffing where no one has stuffed ballots before!

Every Federation main ship computer is made by Diebold.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Let me tell you about a time when turn rate still mattered.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

DancingShade posted:

Every Federation main ship computer is made by Diebold.

Dieboldly going.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If you have saucer sep and a second Galaxy set console on a Gal-X, it's a 17 turn destroyer with 8 weapons, a hanger Bay, a second mediocre pet and a built-in Big Dumb Beam.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

MikeJF posted:

If you have saucer sep and a second Galaxy set console on a Gal-X, it's a piece of poo poo with delusions of relevance

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That said, I fly the Galaxy Normal because it's prettier.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Binkley triggered:
http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/s...421859+hmacsha1

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

wjs5 posted:

JHDC turns well enough to tolerate with some of those fleet turn rate consoles equipped.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
My favorite thing about the Gal-X (the design of the actual ship in the universe, nothing to do with the game) is that it's clearly designed for battle between the extra nacelle and the giant phaser thing in the middle. It's a visual indicator Starfleet eventually realized families in space was idiotic and converted those luxury liners to battleships as a result.

Raekwon_Chef
Apr 9, 2013
New campaign signs:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

A Fancy Bloke posted:

My favorite thing about the Gal-X (the design of the actual ship in the universe, nothing to do with the game) is that it's clearly designed for battle between the extra nacelle and the giant phaser thing in the middle. It's a visual indicator Starfleet eventually realized families in space was idiotic and converted those luxury liners to battleships as a result.

Why does a third technobabble space engine doohicky = Battleship?

Like the spinal wave motion gun, yeah, sure, but adding a nacelle to a ship doesn't automatically militarize it and remove all civilian crew unless I'm missing some super obscure piece of star trek sperg.

Was the Constellation a super battleship by this logic

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The bigger question is why don't ships with lance weapons joust?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
It's likely a redundancy in case you lose one. Like in battle.

Also third nacelle (and warp 13) indicates more power from a core, which means more powerful weapons

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
No the correct answer is they superglued another nacelle to the model and called it a "battleship" so nerds would buy an extra plastic spaceship model to play with in their bedrooms.

In universe? It's just an extra propellor screw.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DancingShade posted:

The bigger question is why don't ships with lance weapons joust?

There really should be a sci ship power where your ship projects a forcefield lance and you hurt people by poking them with it.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

DancingShade posted:

No the correct answer is they superglued another nacelle to the model and called it a "battleship" so nerds would buy an extra plastic spaceship model to play with in their bedrooms.

In universe? It's just an extra propellor screw.

Yeah but you don't like Star Trek so you're not really the type of audience for dumb thoughts like this

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's really a thing common in a lot of sci fi where more power suddenly means everything on a spaceship or a mad science laboratory suddenly works better because you plugged in ten generators instead of one.

You know, instead of electrical arcs fusion welding all the gear into a molten mess and killing everyone present because it wasn't rated for ten million space volts and it arced right through the metal decks & bulkheads.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

DancingShade posted:

It's really a thing common in a lot of sci fi where more power suddenly means everything on a spaceship or a mad science laboratory suddenly works better because you plugged in ten generators instead of one.

You know, instead of electrical arcs fusion welding all the gear into a molten mess and killing everyone present because it wasn't rated for ten million space volts and it arced right through the metal decks & bulkheads.

I just thought of it like how it is in STO: more power to a system lets it work more efficiently, with there being maxima both to the amount of power a system can make use of, as well as how much total power a ship can provide to distribute between its systems, and they simply don't provide power to less essential systems (hygiene) in certain situations. Arguably, however, who would design a ship where you can't run everything you need to at once, as well as you can, in case some emergency called for it?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lorak posted:

I just thought of it like how it is in STO: more power to a system lets it work more efficiently, with there being maxima both to the amount of power a system can make use of, as well as how much total power a ship can provide to distribute between its systems, and they simply don't provide power to less essential systems (hygiene) in certain situations. Arguably, however, who would design a ship where you can't run everything you need to at once, as well as you can, in case some emergency called for it?

What.

If a thing has electricity it either works or it doesn't. Pumping in more juice than it was designed to handle is going to wreck it not make it more efficient.

Wait this is star trek. Black holes have cracked event horizons, vaporizing a person always stops after their shoes are gone and putting the equivalent of the national grid into a desktop PC just allows a more efficient overclock.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

DancingShade posted:

What.

If a thing has electricity it either works or it doesn't. Pumping in more juice than it was designed to handle is going to wreck it not make it more efficient.

Wait this is star trek. Black holes have cracked event horizons, vaporizing a person always stops after their shoes are gone and putting the equivalent of the national grid into a desktop PC just allows a more efficient overclock.
Well, yes. But I'm talking about the internal logic Star Trek uses, not real life.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Starships are just like those cycle lights where you pedal harder to make them brighter, duh.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

They're like baseball cards in the spokes of your bicycle wheel.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DancingShade posted:

Pumping in more juice than it was designed to handle is going to wreck it not make it more efficient.

A good engineer is always a wee bit conservative, at least on paper.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Tunicate posted:

A good engineer is always a wee bit conservative, at least on paper.

For reference, this is a Star Trek quote

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

DancingShade posted:

What.

In-universe, they use plasma ("EPS Conduits") to carry electrical current and not copper wires. That means that a third matter/anti-matter reaction chamber can increase the recharge rate of the plasma, which would make weapons more effective by allowing for more energy to be broadcast into space for your daft punk laser shows.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

And yeah, seems like Cryptic is bringing K-13 back as a fleet holding. Guess I'll have something to dump my 30k fleet marks into finally. :effort:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10168323-fleet-station-k-13-holding

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Bloke

How redundant is this battleship, and how many times over does it exceed battleship classification

VVV Found the nerd

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 21, 2016

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Bloke

How redundant is this battleship, and how many times over does it exceed battleship classification

Don't be silly. It's not just more power, the warp field bubble has to be balanced. If it were to collapse during warp it could tear the ship in two. Everyone knows that having 3 nacelles is very hard to balance that's why ships traditionally have had 1 or 2 or 4 but not 3 or 5. The fact that the federation managed to get the third nacelle balanced on a ship of that size shows that they were in serious dire straits if they were willing to risk it.

Your 29 nacelles could never in a million years be balanced properly.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Doctor Zero posted:

Don't be silly. It's not just more power, the warp field bubble has to be balanced. If it were to collapse during warp it could tear the ship in two. Everyone knows that having 3 nacelles is very hard to balance that's why ships traditionally have had 1 or 2 or 4 but not 3 or 5. The fact that the federation managed to get the third nacelle balanced on a ship of that size shows that they were in serious dire straits if they were willing to risk it.

Your 29 nacelles could never in a million years be balanced properly.

30 though. Slap another nacelle on that bitch and we'll get the specs over to the shipyards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The nacelles have no function in power generation, that's all the warp core.

• Locked thread