Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Speaking of bands that should have quit, I just listened to Cryptopsy's None So Vile for the first time and it blew me away, but I hear their later stuff sucked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

il_cornuto posted:

Speaking of bands that should have quit, I just listened to Cryptopsy's None So Vile for the first time and it blew me away, but I hear their later stuff sucked?

Yes you could say that. Lord Worm era Cryptopsy was really great tech death. They are terrible now, much like decapitated.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 21, 2016

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Still great live, though. Flo Mournier is from another planet and all of the other musicians are pretty drat good too.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

il_cornuto posted:

Cryptopsy has always had a bit of a checkered past from release to release, but that particular album is a high watermark of the genre. Eventually their on-again-off-again vocalist and lyricist, Lord Worm, left the band for good and Flo Mounier took over the reigns and decided he loved deathcore. The rest is, sadly, not history.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

il_cornuto posted:

The Mike DiSalvo albums and Lord Worm's comeback are passable tech death but nowhere close to NSV.

Also if you check out Whisper Supremacy expecting a similar approach to Lord Worm on the mic you will really be thrown for a loop.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

the new opeth album sounds like the producer decided to use a clock radio as a studio monitor. the drums and bass are really obnoxious and muddy

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Nordick posted:

Very true, but sometimes their music loving owns.

Used it when we warmed up for martial arts practice back in the day, was appropriately cheesy.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

a fleshy snood posted:

If you're pining for old Opeth just listen to Anciients

A+ recommendation! Never heard of these dudes before, but I just listened to this whole Heart of Oak album on youtube. I like it. Thanks

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

il_cornuto posted:

That's the general consensus. That said, I really, really enjoyed their newest EP.

Dirt posted:

A+ recommendation! Never heard of these dudes before, but I just listened to this whole Heart of Oak album on youtube. I like it. Thanks

Yeah they're excellent. They've got a new album coming out real soon as well.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

il_cornuto posted:

Depends who you ask. Purists don't like it because it's different, but I think it's the good kind of different (as opposed to Decapitated's kind of different).
Try giving their new EP "Book of Suffering" a spin.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

what the gently caress is this

The future of heavy metal. Why do you ask?

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Nordick posted:

I find Rhapsody and Turilli's solo stuff bad and exceedingly boring. Rhapsody is worse though, because of Fabio Lione. I realize this is probably weird since I enjoy other orchestrated goofy poo poo like Pathfinder etc.

But despite all that, ultimately my heart will still always belong to the guitar-driven, no-frills style of pm like Gamma Ray and the likes.

rhapsody just have no rhythmic dynamics. their drumming and bass-work is the most loving abysmal thing ever. i do like their cheesy neoclassical shredding but seriously so many italo-power bands are better - domine, secret sphere, labyrinth, even fuckin' ancient bards

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I'm totally down with '70s prog and holy gently caress did I love Opeth at one point, but jesus they're really terrible at this.
Yeah, I keep trying to like New Opeth, but it's just really boring for the most part. Maybe Mikael Akerfeldt should spend even more time around Steven Wilson and maybe the latter's songwriting ability will rub off on him.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

To Battle posted:

They are terrible now, much like decapitated.

What a goddamned shame about this band--they were sooo loving good, too. What do they do now? Is it deathcore?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Incoherence posted:

Yeah, I keep trying to like New Opeth, but it's just really boring for the most part. Maybe Mikael Akerfeldt should spend even more time around Steven Wilson and maybe the latter's songwriting ability will rub off on him.

I hope not. Steve Wilson's the piece of poo poo who made an album called Fear Of A Blank Planet thinking it was a clever enough play on words for the title of his "I'm afraid of the future" album. gently caress that guy. He wanted the entire world to see that pun he came up with.

It's like these old men are turning back into dumb gently caress teenagers.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Faffel posted:

I hope not. Steve Wilson's the piece of poo poo who made an album called Fear Of A Blank Planet thinking it was a clever enough play on words for the title of his "I'm afraid of the future" album. gently caress that guy. He wanted the entire world to see that pun he came up with.

It's like these old men are turning back into dumb gently caress teenagers.

I mean, his band is called Porcupine tree

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Henchman of Santa posted:

I hate him so much and it doesn't even have to do with his music. And by hate I really mean it annoys the poo poo out of me.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 22, 2016

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Steven Wilson had his time, but then he started believing his own hype. I like a LOT of Porcupine Tree, but I think it should've stopped at Deadwing.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Henchman of Santa posted:

Didn't get this until now. Probably because there's nothing really to get.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
New Darkthrone is good, but sadly not as good as their last few and I wanted basically a retread of Epicus Doomicus (Fenriz said it would be an influence on the album)

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

il_cornuto posted:

I just remembered you should listen to None So Live. It has all the cool Cryptopsy songs off the bad vocalist albums and has a pretty good vocalist doing them on one of the better live albums I've heard. It's just too bad they split Graves of the Fathers apart with a 7 minute long drum solo by Flo. Who even wants to hear a drum solo for seven minutes?

Faffel fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 22, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

AgentJotun posted:

New Darkthrone is good, but sadly not as good as their last few and I wanted basically a retread of Epicus Doomicus (Fenriz said it would be an influence on the album)

Darkthrone sounding like Candlemass would actually be the best thing ever!

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Vargatron posted:

Should have broke up when Lindgren left the band...

Kinda hard to break up a one-man band.
In the interview in Close-Up for the Sorceress album Åkerfeldt explicitly says he doesn't give a flying gently caress about people who want him to do Ghost Reveries and if he could he would stop doing tours altogether.
Like any band does, Opeth have passed its prime.
Wishing for a band to repeat its former glory is kinda pointless since a good band will produce one truly great record during its lifetime and exceptional bands will manage maybe 3-4.

Cardiac fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 22, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cardiac posted:

Kinda hard to break up a one-man band.
In the interview in Close-Up for the Sorceress album Åkerfeldt explicitly says he doesn't give a flying gently caress about people who want him to do Ghost Reveries and if he could he would stop doing tours altogether.
Like any band does, Opeth have passed its prime.
Wishing for a band to repeat its former glory is kinda pointless since a good band will produce one truly great records during its lifetime and exceptional bands will manage maybe 3-4.

Yeah, Opeth had one of the best runs in modern music history so if they want to make dumb prog throwbacks they earned it.

I saw Cobalt and Mantar tonight. It was vicious.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Faffel posted:

I just remembered you should listen to None So Live. It has all the cool Cryptopsy songs off the bad vocalist albums and has a pretty good vocalist doing them on one of the better live albums I've heard. It's just too bad they split Graves of the Fathers apart with a 7 minute long drum solo by Flo. Who even wants to hear a drum solo for seven minutes?

Did you just say that Lord Worm is a bad vocalist? Lol this loving thread.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

TLDR
Below is a long intro to back up the following statement:
Cryptopsy are and forever will be the gods of tech death motherfucker, the Cryptopsy album is a loving monument as is every album before it
Also, il_cornuto, none so vile is indeed their masterpiece but Whisper Supermacy follows close behind imo, you should give it a spin or two

---

Y'know I saw Vomitory a few months before their disband while they were touring for Opus Mortis. Despite the fact that their latest album was loving AWESOME by everyone's standards, I could tell that those guys were there just for the money. Their performance was 100% flawless and professional, but Erik said at some point "Hey, we're gonna play really fast for you now", suggesting that he is so goddamn bored of playing the same style of music again and again for so many long years.

As I said, a few months later they announced their disband. The moral of the story here is that a band should play whatever the gently caress they like, otherwise they might just not play at all.

I'm pretty grateful that Decapitated returned to action, despite that 90degree turn they took music-wise (for which they are loathed by everyone), and I daresay that I liked the spheres of madness album. Was it up to par with old decapitated standards? gently caress no, but it was a good album, not a bad one.

Reminds me of the kind of hate Entombed was getting during the "To ride.." and "same difference" period. People were dissing them day and night for the "simplicity" of these albums. But why are Entombed so universally loved by everyone? Because they just don't give a flying gently caress about what you and me think. They step out of their norm with almost every release and do their thing.

But how you guys are hating on Cryptopsy is beyond me, these guys define the genre. In a way its like hating on sabbath or CC or something, idk.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Cryptopsy with Matt McGachy on vocals is loving terrible. They gave us an awful deathcore record as the great "comeback" record and their last full-length was a terrible Aborted-ripoff. I didn't even bother with their EP because I know when I should give up on lovely bands. I loved everything up until Lord Worm left that second time.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

The old hating on bands who 'ripoff" those who once ripped them off complex.

I don't buy it, but if you sincerely find Cryptopsy's albums terrible, so be it

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Cryptopsy with Matt McGachy on vocals is loving terrible. They gave us an awful deathcore record as the great "comeback" record and their last full-length was a terrible Aborted-ripoff. I didn't even bother with their EP because I know when I should give up on lovely bands. I loved everything up until Lord Worm left that second time.

i didn't think much of their last few albums but their recent EP was actually great

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TheIllestVillain posted:

i didn't think much of their last few albums but their recent EP was actually great

If that EP is what's considered deathcore, then throw some spacers all up in my face and call me The Crab Man, I'm in.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

a fleshy snood posted:

If that EP is what's considered deathcore, then throw some spacers all up in my face and call me The Crab Man, I'm in.

It's not. The Unspoken King was.

Nurel posted:

Reminds me of the kind of hate Entombed was getting during the "To ride.." and "same difference" period. People were dissing them day and night for the "simplicity" of these albums. But why are Entombed so universally loved by everyone? Because they just don't give a flying gently caress about what you and me think. They step out of their norm with almost every release and do their thing.

But how you guys are hating on Cryptopsy is beyond me, these guys define the genre. In a way its like hating on sabbath or CC or something, idk.

Actually, Entombed are beloved because they made three really good albums. How many people do you hear talking up their post-WB material in hindsight?

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Cardiac posted:

That's the vibe I got from him when I saw their 25th anniversary show in NYC. They played Ghost Reveries in entirety and then were supposed to play a whole second set after that, but it seemed like they didn't plan anything for it and just started playing pieces of a bunch of songs not even halfway through and Mikael going "eh I forgot how that one goes"

Figured there's no need to ever see them again now.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Once I've started to digest None So Vile I'll give their live album and Whispers a try at least.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

il_cornuto posted:

Once I've started to digest None So Vile I'll give their live album and Whispers a try at least.

Also listen to Blasphemy Made Flesh obviously if you haven't already

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

You know what band doesn't suck?

Asphyx.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFaiGiWcyY8

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Varg posted:

That's the vibe I got from him when I saw their 25th anniversary show in NYC. They played Ghost Reveries in entirety and then were supposed to play a whole second set after that, but it seemed like they didn't plan anything for it and just started playing pieces of a bunch of songs not even halfway through and Mikael going "eh I forgot how that one goes"

Figured there's no need to ever see them again now.

I saw the 20th anniversary show in London - Black Water Park in full and then stuff from every other up album to Watershed. Really good poo poo and they still cared about the older stuff then. Five years is a pretty long time really, but sucks if the show was that bad compared to the 20th

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Dirt posted:

I'm listening to this now. It's great. Another thanks for the info on these guys.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I'm listening to this now. It's great. Another thanks for the info on these guys.

They have a new album out in less than a month. Heart of Oak is great, I'm looking forward to what they come up with next.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Hulk Krogan posted:

You know what band doesn't suck?

Asphyx.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFaiGiWcyY8

gently caress yeah, can't wait for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Did you just say that Lord Worm is a bad vocalist? Lol this loving thread.

No, the live album has a bunch of DiSalvo stuff on it. The tour vocalist dude uses the same vocal style as DiSalvo so it's not my favourite, but I think the mix overall sounds nicer on all those songs live.

Everyone seems to forget about Once Was Not too, but I remember liking that album a lot when it first came out. If you're gonna listen to Whisper Supremacy you might as well listen to Once Was Not. It's no None So Vile, but what is?