Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

One dong to rule them all.

We live in the best possible timeline.

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Sep 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

No sense of right or wrong.

Spikes32 posted:

Dildomancer do you just keep all the old molds once you've made them? Is there just a box of sex toy molds under a table somewhere? If so any 'normal' sized ones that got good reviews?

I keep the molds and the models, so I have a big crate of clay dongs as well as two big shelves completely full of molds.

Wroughtirony posted:

Dildomancer,

I went a few pages in each direction and didn't find my answer. But please shame me anyway.

What do you recommend for people who want to create a dildo from a living model? We tried Clone-a-Willy and it froze up faster than he could get himself into.

I've never used their kit, but the key is using a silicone with an appropriate pot life. I used Mold Star 16 FAST with its 6-minute pot life and 30-minute cure time. Dragon Skin 10 VERY FAST is even better, with a 4-minute pot life and a 30-minute cure time. Ecoflex 5 is the fastest, with a pot life of just 1 minute and a cure time of 5 minutes, but is squirted out of something that looks like a twinned caulk tube. It's a bit softer, but it should work for an initial mold. I'd recommend either of the first two (probably the Dragon Skin over the Mold Star) because they'll give you a few minutes to mix the silicone and... well, again, I don't know how Clone-a-Willy works, but with my technique you just basically pour it into a big plastic cup or a soda bottle with the top cut off, then insert.

Oh, and warm the silicone up to about the temperature of a warm bath before you mix. That'll make it more comfortable and also cure faster. Then all he has to do is stay hard for a few minutes past the pot life and you should be all set. How he does that is really up to you and I'm not going to go into it.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Am I the only one who's first thought was:

"What happens if the pubes get trapped in the hardened mold, that would hurt like gently caress."

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 21, 2016

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I found this thread today and just want to thank both Dildomancer and Elise (and everyone else) for a very entertaining read about rubber elven dongs. :five:

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Dildomancer posted:

I keep the molds and the models, so I have a big crate of clay dongs as well as two big shelves completely full of molds.

I've never used their kit, but the key is using a silicone with an appropriate pot life. I used Mold Star 16 FAST with its 6-minute pot life and 30-minute cure time. Dragon Skin 10 VERY FAST is even better, with a 4-minute pot life and a 30-minute cure time. Ecoflex 5 is the fastest, with a pot life of just 1 minute and a cure time of 5 minutes, but is squirted out of something that looks like a twinned caulk tube. It's a bit softer, but it should work for an initial mold. I'd recommend either of the first two (probably the Dragon Skin over the Mold Star) because they'll give you a few minutes to mix the silicone and... well, again, I don't know how Clone-a-Willy works, but with my technique you just basically pour it into a big plastic cup or a soda bottle with the top cut off, then insert.

Oh, and warm the silicone up to about the temperature of a warm bath before you mix. That'll make it more comfortable and also cure faster. Then all he has to do is stay hard for a few minutes past the pot life and you should be all set. How he does that is really up to you and I'm not going to go into it.

Thanks for that!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Carth Dookie posted:

Am I the only one who's first thought was:

"What happens if the pubes get trapped in the hardened mold, that would hurt like gently caress."

I think most people shave before the do this.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Dildomancer, I think in an earlier post you mentioned doing painted toys? What kind of paint and technique do you use?

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

My smooth-on distributor might be coming over tomorrow, so if you guys have any questions, I can pass them along.

RFC2324 posted:

I think most people shave before the do this.

Yeah, definitely. I learned this the hard way. Half-assed trimming is insufficient.

artsy fartsy posted:

Dildomancer, I think in an earlier post you mentioned doing painted toys? What kind of paint and technique do you use?

You are in luck - I made a video about that a week ago: https://vimeo.com/182308881

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Dildomancer posted:

I learned this the hard way.

:rimshot:

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Dildomancer posted:

My smooth-on distributor might be coming over tomorrow, so if you guys have any questions, I can pass them along.

Yeah, definitely. I learned this the hard way. Half-assed trimming is insufficient.

You are in luck - I made a video about that a week ago: https://vimeo.com/182308881

Loving your videos, thanks!

I am interested in sculpting artisinal dildos for profit. I just made this with sculpey to give it a go, could I get your feedback? It's 7 inches tall.

http://imgur.com/a/74fp4

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

looks good

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
American files grind away material when you push them out, European files on the backstroke.

So...That's an American one?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

American files grind away material when you push them out, European files on the backstroke.

So...That's an American one?

Haha what no they all cut forward

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

Uh oh Dildomancer, you're going to crash the fantasy dildo market by revealing it's existence to goons!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I was thinking of saws, and the wrong countries

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

artsy fartsy posted:

Loving your videos, thanks!

I am interested in sculpting artisinal dildos for profit. I just made this with sculpey to give it a go, could I get your feedback? It's 7 inches tall.

http://imgur.com/a/74fp4

Deign looks gorgeous, the overhangs are in the right direction so it won't cause molding issues, though pulling the model/toy out of the mold afterward will take a bit of effort as it's essentially a bunch of stacked suction cups. I would smooth things out a bit more if you haven't already baked it. Nice looking bathroom (?) countertop and towel holder as well.

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

Uh oh Dildomancer, you're going to crash the fantasy dildo market by revealing it's existence to goons!

I think even if every single person who's read this thread started making dildos, they'd all still make a few thou from the fanatic collecters and curious toy enthusiasts. Just don't go making generic human cock #68753 or generic dog cock #4317.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Duh, you make a dog cock with the flare and ring of a horse. And the barbs of a cat.

... Or did BD already do that?

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

Dildomancer, would you be willing to share more about the your experiences with the actual ecommerce elements? My girlfriend and I are both relatively unhappy with our current careers and are considering starting online businesses to sell hand made / made products (the conversation actually started. She has the skill to make high quality products, and I have a history in web development and online marketing.

What what was simply starting your store like? Did it take long to get enough orders to be profitable (I know this will differ with different products)? What web/sales platforms would you recommend starting with?

I never would have thought to start a blog about dildos, but after reading this thread it seems as though it was a big part of the production. Did you use other social media?

Does ecommerce deserve its own thread?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Dildomancer posted:

Deign looks gorgeous, the overhangs are in the right direction so it won't cause molding issues, though pulling the model/toy out of the mold afterward will take a bit of effort as it's essentially a bunch of stacked suction cups. I would smooth things out a bit more if you haven't already baked it. Nice looking bathroom (?) countertop and towel holder as well.

Thank you! Do you have smoothing advice for sculpey? I used a little alcohol with a brush--that kind of worked, but I'm more used to working with ceramic clay and still figuring things out.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Got a package in the mail today... two beautiful puntls with attending fish!

Raz finds its wobbling hypnotic...

Tried it out on the mantelpiece...

...but then realized there was an even more obvious place to display it, at least until I get a nice tentacle vagina knitted for it.

Haven't had much time to charge the one that glows in the dark, but with fifteen minutes of sunlight it warned me appropriately about all the marauding orcs that live upstairs in my condo.

Real talk, these things are beautiful, the craftsmanship is splendid, the pattern on the base is just... gorgeous, and the fish are EVEN CUTER. I am so proud to be a part of this fantastic work of horror and wonder.

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

I've had several people asking me about starting a business making dongs, so I'll try to devote an effortpost to it tomorrow.

artsy fartsy posted:

Thank you! Do you have smoothing advice for sculpey? I used a little alcohol with a brush--that kind of worked, but I'm more used to working with ceramic clay and still figuring things out.

Before it's baked, use your fingertips or a moist sponge. I've got a dozen cheap wax-carving tools that are also very effective for putting on final textures and reaching hard-to-get places. Basically, you want to get the shape perfect first (round off any sharp edges, remove the little burrs, clean out any intentional crevices or creases), and then only when the shape is perfect should you worry about final smoothing or adding texture.

After it's baked, you're more limited in what you can do, but those same wax-carving tools or fine-grit sandpaper will help. Just be warned that once you scrape the baked clay away, it's much harder to add more on, so don't dig too deep.

When I mentioned crevices, I remembered something: those are going to end up as ridges in your mold, and they will also be the weakest point. Be prepared for little chunks of the mold to break away inside the toys and make absolutely sure that release agent gets on every bit of the inside of the mold.

elise the great posted:

Got a package in the mail today... two beautiful puntls with attending fish!

I'm so happy they arrived! After its unexpected journey crossing the country three times, there and back again, the precious package has been safely transported to safer ground.

The Star Trek juxtaposition is fantastic, because I could totally see a puntl as a random bit of scenery or a half-molten (and glowing!) lever in the engine room.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so, hypothetically speaking, how would we get Sauroman dildo into the hands of Steven Colbert?

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

RandomPauI posted:

Okay, so, hypothetically speaking, how would we get Sauroman dildo into the hands of Steven Colbert?

Better yet, a dildo shaped like Sauron's severed finger, complete with One Ring.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Got the ease 200 and just poured my first flared base 6 flute end mill, we'll see how it works out in a few hours. I measured the displacement of the model after making the mold and ran into a couple issues because it was so small (~50ml) the amount of compnent needed was below the resolution of my mixing cylinders.

So, I measured part A by weight directly into a mason jar, mixed it thoroughly with the pigment, and then poured part B directly into the same jar without mixing it first, then mixed thoroughly.

I then attempted a ghetto degas by putting a lid with a hole in the center on this jar and holding my shop vac hose over it. Not as good as proper equipment, but there was definitely some activity.

I then switched to another mason jar lid that had been prepared orange-juice can style with a triangular opening at the edge and small breather hole on the edge opposite. This allowed a very smooth and controllable pour stream. Popping a finger over the breather allows almost instant flow stoppage.

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

I made a silicone fish last night with a whole bunch of green glow-in-the-dark pigment and put it under a blacklight for five minutes. The resulting glow was plainly visible even with the lights on. Here are two unedited photos that I hope get the point across.

Anyway, now for the promised effortpost on the business size of dildomancy. I'd like to preface this with the caveat that I'm not a dollarmancer. I don't have an MBA, I never incorporated, I didn't do any marketing.

I was successful for a handful of reasons. One is that I have a bit of a knack for clay sculpting. It's something I've done for ages off-and-on. Another is that I already had a bunch of friends who were into dongs (everything about them) from FetLife. A third is that I had plenty of time to devote to hobbies and a job that paid well enough to finance a hobby, regardless of whether I turned a profit or not. Finally, I went to an informal dildo-making class and learned some of the common pitfalls - the same stuff I've told you all.

Anyway, I started off getting 2 gallons of Dragon Skin 20 and asked some friends if they'd be willing to pay for a custom dong. Two of them were game. After all, I only charged them a few bucks since I figured the quality wouldn't be great. My first mold came out terribly (and has since been remade three times), the second wasn't bad, and by the time I got another customer and made a third, things were getting pretty professional. I soon found a third friend willing to buy a brand new toy, then a second variant of it, and at that point, I started showing them off.

At this point, it was still just a lazy weekend hobby, but my friends had contacted other friends who had always wanted to get a custom toy. But when I started posting pics on my long-dead Tumblr, something surprising happened:

Once the Tumblr dildo community knows you exist, if you have good designs (and you haven't stirred up too much drama), that is your make-or-break point. That was when I bought my vacuum chambers, more firmnesses, fluorescent pigments, more mixing bowls, the works. I also moved my operation from my dining room floor up to the table, which was a dream come true for my wife. If I hadn't gotten the recognition there, right then, I would've probably just continued selling to friends and making a dong or two a week at most.

Around this time, I also started selling dongs on FurAffinity (furries present an unsurprisingly large dildo market). Not too long after, I also began selling my flops (toys that came out flawed) and sample fish on Etsy. From a business perspective, it was a mistake not to use Etsy more extensively. That would've reached a much wider audience. But already at that point, I could not make enough dildos to satisfy demand. Someone asked about the break-even point, and it was right around here, after I'd been making dildos for about a year. When I did my first year's taxes, I came out about even, mostly because I bought a grand in equipment.

So now we're a year in, I had to limit the number of orders I was taking, otherwise the backlog would get too long. People told me to raise my prices, so I did, now making ~50% on each toy. But I was making three toys a day, and around this time I started my second day job. It was exhausting and I had zero free time left over. I decided that I didn't want to turn this into a business; making three a day like I was would net me a bit under $2000/month, which was pretty low compared to my other jobs, and for reasons mentioned pages ago I did not want to turn this into a full-time job. As a result, I stopped taking new designs and reduced my toy production to 5-10 a week. I stopped getting new followers, but I always had enough people interested in buying to keep me busy. Now here is where I have a word of caution for those of you who want to make this into a career: I have no way of knowing whether demand would have continued to be this steady. There are plenty of independent dildo manufacturers out there making a living off the business. Some grow into bigger companies, some stay artisanal, some decide it's no fun anymore like me. The market is there, but I leave it up to you to figure out how to capture enough of that market to make it rich.

Now, my business advice:
> Make a Tumblr account as soon as you have pictures to show. Follow back every person who follows you. Look around at what other people are doing so you can learn the ins and outs (:pervert:) of good dong design. Get advice, collaborate, and be a positive member of the community.
> If you decide to make this a career and you're ready to make it happen, make yourself an LLC or something. Maybe get a business advisor or something. You want to be ready, because the larger manufacturers will inevitably have legal challenges. I think it may also help when you start hiring employees. I dunno, better question to ask an MBA.
> Do everything through PayPal invoices and get tracking on all your packages. I only started doing the invoices relatively late and it caused me some headaches.
> Keep track of all dildo-related purchases. This should include mileage to/from the post office as well. Use tax prep software or go to a pro, at least for your first year.
> Don't jump in immediately and buy two grand in silicone and vacuum equipment until you've tried sculpting and made a friend or two who is interested in the hobby. You don't want to devote a room of your house to making dildos and then figure out you don't enjoy it.
> You need a CLEAN room in your house. If you have pets that shed or if you live with a smoker, that is going to cause quality issues.
> This might seem obvious, but get all your payment in advance.

Hopefully this is good advice and what you were all looking for :)

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Man you gotta stop tempting me to become a dildomancer with all this excellent and informative posting.

What would your ideal commission be? Like what kind of stuff did you most like doing?

Also what was your wife's reaction when you first told her you were gonna turn your house into a dong factory?

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

By the way, tomorrow's Friday and that means another dozen or so dongs are going out. Please double-check the shipping address that is on your PayPal invoice!

Radio! posted:

Man you gotta stop tempting me to become a dildomancer with all this excellent and informative posting.

What would your ideal commission be? Like what kind of stuff did you most like doing?

Also what was your wife's reaction when you first told her you were gonna turn your house into a dong factory?

My ideal commission would just be someone paying me to come up with (and produce) zillions of models, or just to go wild and experiment with different pouring techniques. I would love a full-time creative job.

The wife came with me to that dildo-making class, so she was pretty supportive from the beginning. Supportive in a "huh, ok..." way. She is great <3

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

Out of continuing curiosity, around what percentage of your orders were special commissions? I know you said the ones that sold the most were the $20-25 range ones, I just wonder what proportion of your monthly production activity was making totally new designs.

AbysmalPeptoBismol fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 23, 2016

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

this is a *«☼silicone fish☼»*. it menaces with rays of green.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

would you call these the dil-dos and dil-donts of the business?

The Range
Sep 20, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Behold the face of SATAN!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eWdbMBYlH4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXZxipry6kE

slaughtered for a 5.99 dell in my pants everyone knows bill cosby is guilty no one cares Venom Prison Record: The Primal Chaos Song: Babylon the whore

Babylon the seven heads of babylon the whore

Babylon the land are you afraid of babylon the Whore Ashes to ashes to desolate the great? burning Autumn 2015 on Soaked In Torment Records.lyrics Lyrics: Babylon the great? burning the crimson rivers of blasphemy I am vengeance for countless rapes and murders
your children slaughtered for their fathers of discontent and you have no escape see the flames of discontent and you eat from my flesh I'm coming back to desolate the land are you eat from my flesh I'm coming back to desolate the land are you afraid of babylon the Whore
Babylon the Whore

Babylon The Primal Chaos Song: Babylon the whore see the whore see the seven heads of blasphemy I am vengeance for countless rapes and murders
your children slaughtered for their fathers guilt
filling the Whore burn renounced, stripped naked you eat from my flesh I'm coming back to dust witness a woman rising from the great? burning the crimson rivers of blasphemy I am vengeance for countless a woman rising from my flesh I'm coming the Whore 7" coming from my pants everyone knows bill cosby is guilty no one cares Venom Prison rivers of devout stripped naked you afraid of babylon the whore burning the shame of Mother Whore burn - watch it burn renounced, stripped naked you eat from my flesh I'm coming back to desolate the land you afraid of babylon the Whore Ashes to ashes riding upon the great? burning the flames of discontent and you have no escape see the shame of Mother Whore burn - watch it burning from my flesh I'm coming back to desolate the shame of Mother Whore see the shame of Mother Whore
Babylon the shame of Mother Whore
to hell for their father Whore
Babylon the bible is right all ******s of discontent and you have no escape see the flames of discontent and you have no escape see the shame of Mothers guilt
filling the crimson rising from my flesh I'm coming back to desolate the land are you eat from the Whore Ashes riding from my pants everyone knows bill cosby is guilty no one cares Venom Primal Chaos Song: Babylon the great?

all shall see the great? burn - watch it burn renounced, stripped naked you eat from my flesh I'm coming from the ashes dust to desolate the ashes right all ******s
your children slaughtered for countless rapes and are you afraid of babylon the great?

4. When asking a question that is specific to your situation (i.e. "help!"), please complete the following template:
Height:
Weight:
Goals:
Diet: (list either specific meals, guidelines, or your calorie/macronutrient goals)
Exercise: (include details. Your program, how much you're lifting, how far you're running/cycling, or whatever else is applicable)
Add details. The more information, the better.
Question:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

ok.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Dare has a lot of varied interests.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Including schizophrenia

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Closing the asylum was a mistake, now the inmates are running rampant all over the forum.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I mustn't emptyquote

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

Wow, a visit from Dare himself. And a bunch of new PMs for me to answer when I get home from work.

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

Out of continuing curiosity, around what percentage of your orders were special commissions? I know you said the ones that sold the most were the $20-25 range ones, I just wonder what proportion of your monthly production activity was making totally new designs.

At the beginning, it was nearly 100%, but near the end it was around 5% since I had such a huge number of options already. So that was maybe one a month. That's probably part of the reason why I got sick of it.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I see someone noticed the DF wallpaper on my phone! I am still waiting for worldgen to give me an instrument with the name puntl or gwi or something so that I can take the joke to its logical conclusion.

Fauxtool posted:

would you call these the dil-dos and dil-donts of the business?

Ahhhh that is a good term! Yes, exactly.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Dildomancer posted:

At the beginning, it was nearly 100%, but near the end it was around 5% since I had such a huge number of options already. So that was maybe one a month. That's probably part of the reason why I got sick of it.

This sounds like you'd reuse the specially commissioned dildo molds and add those designs to your catalog. Which makes sense, of course, but was there ever any drama created over that, e.g. "that's my dick design that I came up with and you can't sell it to other people"?

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

artsy fartsy posted:

This sounds like you'd reuse the specially commissioned dildo molds and add those designs to your catalog. Which makes sense, of course, but was there ever any drama created over that, e.g. "that's my dick design that I came up with and you can't sell it to other people"?

I made sure to ask when the designs were commissioned. I did have a couple custom one-off designs that I ended up charging more for since I wouldn't be able to recoup my initial cost otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009
How are they like texture-wise, to the touch? Most of the silicone dongs I've seen are super smooth and weirdly off-putting, with the exception of the hyper-realistic cyberskin or whatever which I'm guessing is out of reach of your average hobbyist.

• Locked thread