Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Geostomp posted:

They haven't said much of anything about the stats of the Alola variants, so I would assume they have the same totals, but re-arranged. That way they might be more optimized for specific roles than the old ones, but not quite so blatantly superior.

I hope the new Ice types are cool and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I wonder if we'll see any changes to the megas, didn't someone come out and say that they realise they made Mega Kang too strong so Parental Bond might get nerfed in some way.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see the -ate abilities get nerfed, probably by giving a lower or no damage boost to the type changed moves.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
I'm doing a nuzlock(e?) of Y, just lost a Pinsir to swagger. Hit myself in confusion four times in a row and got hit with a critical sucker punch. gently caress me right? I'm replacing him with Murkrow and I want to evolve it asap but according to serebii, gamefreak doesn't want me to evolve him for a few more cities because they love hiding evolution stones for no good reason. Literally no reason. It actually is strictly worse of a gameplay decision then selling the stones at the store. ANYWAYS can someone gimme a dusk stone?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Kelp Plankton posted:

The Alolan forms will only be for Gen 1 Pokemon, and the next generation will get forms exclusively for Gen 2 Pokemon alongside the Virtual Console release of Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal

the remake cycle is forever broken, they are free of the curse of remaking really old stuff, thank you virtual console and pokemon bank

I could really go for a modern update of Gen 1/2. Gen 6 has really spoiled me and makes older games tough to go back to. FRLG, HGSS and DPPt are feeling really dated to me now, let alone the original Game Boy versions.

Since GSC includes both Johto and Kanto, you could basically make a double remake and share assets between them both. Instead of just having minor differences, have one version follow Red's Adventure in Gen 1 and give you access to Johto in the postgame, and then have the other be Gold's story in Gen 2 and have a Kanto postgame as before. It gives people incentive to buy both versions, too, because while they're more or less the same game, they have different storylines and start you off in a totally different place depending on which one you get.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Space T Rex posted:

I'm doing a nuzlock(e?) of Y, just lost a Pinsir to swagger. Hit myself in confusion four times in a row and got hit with a critical sucker punch. gently caress me right? I'm replacing him with Murkrow and I want to evolve it asap but according to serebii, gamefreak doesn't want me to evolve him for a few more cities because they love hiding evolution stones for no good reason. Literally no reason. It actually is strictly worse of a gameplay decision then selling the stones at the store. ANYWAYS can someone gimme a dusk stone?

anyone would would give a dusk stone knowing full well that it would turn a murkrow into a honchkrow should have their trainer card revoked

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Sockser posted:

What the gently caress are they going to do in future gens for Rockruff evolutions?

probably just have the evolution you get depend on time of day

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Oh poo poo typo I meant a Doublade...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Space T Rex posted:

Slap an eviolite on it

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Geostomp posted:

They haven't said much of anything about the stats of the Alola variants, so I would assume they have the same totals, but re-arranged. That way they might be more optimized for specific roles than the old ones, but not quite so blatantly superior.

Yeah, Sandshrew and Sandslash say the Alolan variants are slower at least.

Also literally all the replaced abilites are a wash or flat out worse than their normal ones (RIP Raticate Guts). Its going to be interesting.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Really late to the gen, but been trying to complete the Hoenn regional pokedex. I wish the first hacked mon I was wondertraded (6ivs, shiny, pokerus, carrying a focus sash) was something cooler than gray Ninetails.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

shiny ninetails is good tho

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Space T Rex posted:

Super Training with a 510 EV pokemon will unlock Super Secret Training

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Stagger_Lee posted:

Really late to the gen, but been trying to complete the Hoenn regional pokedex. I wish the first hacked mon I was wondertraded (6ivs, shiny, pokerus, carrying a focus sash) was something cooler than gray Ninetails.

Stagger_Lee is a madman who hates the cool foxy

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I think the fox is pretty and cool, I just don't think it's good to make it gray.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Wonder trade successful.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Senerio posted:

Wonder trade successful.

wonder trading adds ten pounds

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Actually mega garchomp looks real bad

real badass

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
I don't understand the megas confirmation thing? I always thought they were here to stay anyway. The thing I want to know- are there going to be new ones? That's the more important question. I don't actually care who gets one. Yea farfetched, dunsparce, and flygon are the fan favs. But there are a lot of good candidates I just want more bc I think they are a cool mechanic that revitalizes old pokemon.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

cancerianmoth posted:

I don't understand the megas confirmation thing? I always thought they were here to stay anyway.

some people really don't like megas and half convinced themselves that they wouldn't be coming back

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I doubt there'll be new megas. Not that there's never going to be any new megas, but I can see them wanting to focus on Alola forms as the new 'thing' for returning Pokemon and don't want new mega forms to distract them. I expect them to be featured more prominently in the games after sun and moon.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Spatula City posted:

The next obvious step now that they've remade every game that needed it, is to kinda pull a B2/W2, and do sequels set in the same region with new plot, some new characters, and expanded regional dexes.

I really, really want this to be the case. Red2Green2 or Diamond2Pearl2 would be pretty neat, specially now that we are in a more 3D World so stuff like the Cycling Road can actually be a huge slope or Floaroma Town be a beautiful garden with layers upon layers of diverse flowers. Gen 7 could be happening somewhere like fifteen or even more years after Gen I's events, so going back and seeing the region fairly changed (Specially with the fauna) would be plausible and with regional variants and megas you can introduce a ton of "new" pokemon. It'd be nice to go to a cave and suddenly you're being hit with Kanto Roserade.

Although I guess all that could also work in boring old remakes as well, Hot Fire Red and Cool Leaf Green or Crazy Diamond and Pearl Jam are always more likely.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Change the naming. Red-> Scarlet Green-> Chatreuse

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Brother Entropy posted:

wonder trading adds ten pounds

I'll blame the in flight meal.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Manatee Cannon posted:

some people really don't like megas and half convinced themselves that they wouldn't be coming back

I posted that tweet solely to shut those people up. Have a nice day, friends. [It is a true tweet, but also I wanted to shut them up]

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

tbp posted:

Additionally the competitive level of the vgc scene is still lacking compared to the top level of singles, pretty average smogon tournament players tend to do very well when playing vgc even as a passing interest. So for the time being at least from my perspective, singles is more rewarding to play due to the developed community, trophies with "history", and higher level of play

*citation needed

I mean it's fine if you prefer singles to doubles but how exactly would you define "higher level of play"? From a strictly mechanical perspective, double battles are more complex as there are more possible actions to select per turn.

Geostomp posted:

I'd actually prefer if they were blatantly superior because a lot of early gen pokemon (pre physical special split) have painfully sub-optimal base stat distributions . I mean they should have the same total, just be way more efficient.

Starsnostars posted:

I wonder if we'll see any changes to the megas, didn't someone come out and say that they realise they made Mega Kang too strong so Parental Bond might get nerfed in some way.
I'd say reducing it from 1.5 to 1.3 would be fair. That way it'd be more like a life orb than a choice band.

quote:

I also wouldn't be surprised to see the -ate abilities get nerfed, probably by giving a lower or no damage boost to the type changed moves.
I don't see why that'd be necessary. The only -ate pokemon that comes even remotely close to being overpowered is Mega Salamence and it's not really an issue in doubles.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I hope they retcon mega garchomp to have the same speed as regular garchomp (take the points out of SpA to keep the same BST)

gently caress that, make it even faster.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

qnqnx posted:

gently caress that, make it even faster.

No,

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

oddium posted:

anyone would would give a dusk stone knowing full well that it would turn a murkrow into a honchkrow should have their trainer card revoked

Honchkrow is rad though so maybe YOU need your trainer card revoked!

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Put your money where your mouth is boy, gimme the stone.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

How big, realistically, can this series even get? We might be over 800 pokes with S&M, probably couldn't hurt to do another soft or hard reboot at some point. Like, anyone under 20 doesn't give a poo poo about Gen 1 I wouldn't think

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
ok. I know I said I don't care what gets a mega-form but I do. I'm saying this despite that both Arcanine, Kecleon, and Flygon are my top favorites. But LEDIAN needs a mega. Bug/Fighting. Iron Fist could stay or it could get Guts or Technician. Oh man make that ladybug rad so then I can say- oh that's neat- and then box it.

speaking of Kecleon, I didn't realize how cool it was until I used it with protean.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

They should just straight up increase Ledian's base Attack by 100 points. That wouldn't even make it good, but it'd be usable at some level.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ledian needs a real evolution instead of a Mega to save it, IMO.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

ledian needs to give up and let dedenne become the poster child for cute monsters that deserve to be competitive

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Waffles Inc. posted:

How big, realistically, can this series even get? We might be over 800 pokes with S&M, probably couldn't hurt to do another soft or hard reboot at some point. Like, anyone under 20 doesn't give a poo poo about Gen 1 I wouldn't think

If I had to put a hard cap on how many original Pokémon they could create for the franchise, I'd put it at 999. But the number of gimmicks like alternate forms, megas and now regional variants can and probably has artificially increased that number to more then that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Although I guess all that could also work in boring old remakes as well, Hot Fire Red and Cool Leaf Green or Crazy Diamond and Pearl Jam are always more likely.

Don't think I don't see what you're doing here.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, I won't stand for these kind of jokes.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Waffleman_ posted:

Fine. Shining Diamond and Pole Jam.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

ah are they finally remaking pokemon diamond and jam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

pokemon: downhill ja,m