Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I started reading the super old Spider-Man comics and they are great, Peter is such an rear end in a top hat. He fights the human Torch when he crashes the guy's party in an attempt to steal Johnny Storm's girlfriend. He baits Jonah Jameson into sending him to Florida to take photos of Spider-Man fighting the Lizard, because he can't afford the plane ticket to go to Florida and fight the Lizard otherwise. He forgets to take photos of his fight with the Sandman, so he just throws some sand in the air and photographs himself punching it. Everyone in New York seems to hate him and the only people he talks to are his Aunt and the audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So basically Newspaper Spider-Man?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Red Bones posted:

I started reading the super old Spider-Man comics and they are great, Peter is such an rear end in a top hat. He fights the human Torch when he crashes the guy's party in an attempt to steal Johnny Storm's girlfriend. He baits Jonah Jameson into sending him to Florida to take photos of Spider-Man fighting the Lizard, because he can't afford the plane ticket to go to Florida and fight the Lizard otherwise. He forgets to take photos of his fight with the Sandman, so he just throws some sand in the air and photographs himself punching it. Everyone in New York seems to hate him and the only people he talks to are his Aunt and the audience.

I loved old Spider-man. He was such a brash rear end in a top hat when interacting with other heroes, and it really did seem believable that he might turn villainous at any point.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Lurdiak posted:

I loved old Spider-man. He was such a brash rear end in a top hat when interacting with other heroes, and it really did seem believable that he might turn villainous at any point.

Also, his life was a wreck in a believable teenage "with great responsibility" kind of way. All losing girlfriends because he couldn't make dates but he can't say why.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

joehonkie posted:

Also, his life was a wreck in a believable teenage "with great responsibility" kind of way. All losing girlfriends because he couldn't make dates but he can't say why.

Yeah, it was great. I don't mind that the character grew over time, but it bugs me that whenever people want to turn the clock back to the "good old days" of Spider-man, none of them are talking about back when Spider-man would tell other superheroes to go gently caress themselves and then pick a fight with a villain for money.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, it was great. I don't mind that the character grew over time, but it bugs me that whenever people want to turn the clock back to the "good old days" of Spider-man, none of them are talking about back when Spider-man would tell other superheroes to go gently caress themselves and then pick a fight with a villain for money.

I think the thing where he tries to join the Fantastic Four is my favorite thing because it's such an innocent clash of misunderstood values.

Also his rivalry with Johnny (Poor, unlucky loser vs. cocky celeb) is really kind of perfect.

And the two panel Ditko spread in ASM 33 is justifiably famous. Just great use of whole comics art to build a scene. Too bad Ditko got bitten by a radioactive Ayn Rand. In fact I'm going to read that sequence right now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think Peter's unique early personality wouldn't exist if he wasn't written by both a big loud carnie hippie and a quiet grumpy objectivist.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

I think Peter's unique early personality wouldn't exist if he wasn't written by both a big loud carnie hippie and a quiet grumpy objectivist.

So many evil Carnies in early Marvel

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Early Spiderman sounds like something I want to read. Is there any specific run/writer, or is it just a general timespan from whenever he first appeared? (I am new at comics.)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Parasol Prophet posted:

Early Spiderman sounds like something I want to read. Is there any specific run/writer, or is it just a general timespan from whenever he first appeared? (I am new at comics.)

Amazing spider-man 1-123ish. It is on marvel unlimited.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Parasol Prophet posted:

The first 200 issues of Amazing Spider-Man. It's a run of comics basically everyone, everywhere should read, and has arguably the best comic story ever written in "If This Be My Destiny...!"

Anyways, yeah. Great run of comics. It's surprisingly modern for its time and still holds up some sixty years removed. I think it's all on Unlimited, too.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Does amazing #1 include the original story from strange tales or whatever it was or do i need to find that separately?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

site posted:

Does amazing #1 include the original story from strange tales or whatever it was or do i need to find the separately?

Amazing Fantasy #15 would be included in that series on Unlimited. Anither thing is that the annuals would also be a seperate series on Unlimited.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Excellent, thank you

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I believe Amazing Spider-Man 1 reprints the Spider-Man story from Amazing Fantasy #15, and if it doesn't that issue is also on MU.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 21, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Amazing Fantasy #15's been reprinted so many loving times.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I also feel like, although it is not explicitly stated, early Spider-Man is driven mostly by enjoying the sense of power he has as Spider-Man that he does not have in any other part of his life. Being able to cut loose and harass JJ Jameson or the Fantastic Four or like, any bank robber, is really obviously the only thing stopping Peter from stabbing Flash Thompson and burning his school down. The whole "with great power comes great responsibility" thing really does not factor in at this stage, and it's hilarious and great.

Also there's a very early story where Spider-Man has to stop JJJ's son from dying in a rocket accident and it is genuinely really tense and cool and devoid of the slight absurdism that a lot of these early stories have. It's just Peter trying to save a guy in a malfunctioning spacecraft and it's dope.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I see GBS doesn't exist anymore. What happened to the cesspit that was GBS?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Madkal posted:

Piglet finally pulled the trigger.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

gods work is what happened.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They told GBS to :gb2gbs:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Now we just need to nuke FYAD and the forums won't be so embarrassing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

:wrong:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Madkal posted:

Convergence.

Lurdiak posted:

BYOB would still be around though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Travis343 posted:

BYOB would still be around though.

Nobody cares about BYOB.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I miss hell dump.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Helldump got killed for a totally bullshit reason, but Helldump had long gone past its sell-by when it was retired. It wasn't outing pedophiles anymore, it was "someone said something I slightly disagree with on twitter so I'm gonna find out what high school they went to".

Like, the biggest Helldump of this decade was like Zeitgueist, and that didn't even happen on Helldump.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 22, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it was no coincidence that gbs disappeared the same day that it was discovered sa admins were covering up for hillary clintons it guy :tinfoil:

read about it on my blog keep beach city weird

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If hell dump was still around I'd have put DT on blast like 80 times by now.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

Nobody cares about BYOB.

I would still sleep a little better if it was gone

Rhyno posted:

If hell dump was still around I'd have put DT on blast like 80 times by now.

If you made a helldump thread calling out some comicbook forum slapfight fuckin Boniface would find some poo poo you wrote in 2001 and get you fired or some poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Travis343 posted:

I would still sleep a little better if it was gone

If you made a helldump thread calling out some comicbook forum slapfight fuckin Boniface would find some poo poo you wrote in 2001 and get you fired or some poo poo.

Sadly Helldump was already long gone when DT equated Jason Todd's comic book death and resurrection with real world rape.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Sadly Helldump was already long gone when DT equated Jason Todd's comic book death and resurrection with real world rape.

I do love you Rhyno, but at times you come off as a little too aggressive and pre-occupied with this whole subject.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

I do love you Rhyno, but at times you come off as a little too aggressive and pre-occupied with this whole subject.

I'm riled up again because of his loving stupid post about Trinity #1.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

In Rhyno's defense that was a really stupid goddamn post

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Understandable.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm curious about this post because I don't browse much of BSS so my exposure to dark titsanime is very low.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ghostlight posted:

I'm curious about this post because I don't browse much of BSS so my exposure to dark titsanime is very low.

Turn back before it's too late.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I read Trinity.

Art is gorgeous but the writing left a LOT to be desired. Manapul instead of organically deal with pre flashpoint Superman earning the trust and friendship of Bruce and Diana. Just have them talk about Superbro for a couple of pages and then a cut offscreen later they're all chummy as if they always would've been friends. Bullshit.

He's so goddamn dense his head might be a diamond.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
It's a straw that broke the camel's back thing. I lurk more than post and I could see that. DT was the first poster I ever put on ignore.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dario the Wop posted:

It's a straw that broke the camel's back thing. I lurk more than post and I could see that. DT was the first poster I ever put on ignore.

His rape post was like 3 years ago and had he not edited it he'd probably have been banned and that would have been that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

His rape post was like 3 years ago and had he not edited it he'd probably have been banned and that would have been that.

Yeah because being banned always keeps lovely posters out of BSS

• Locked thread