Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Foglet posted:

Voyage of Fortune's Star, a 7th Sea video game, is live on Kickstarter.

I'll laugh if 7th Sea gets a transmedia empire before Far West does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
That's what I get for not checking obliquely titled links.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Lightning Lord posted:

It looks like a Neverwinter Nights 2 module. Maybe even NWN1

I was interested up until I watched the video. Ouch.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I was interested up until I watched the video. Ouch.

What's kind of sad is its not even (or only) the dated graphics. The gameplay just looked dull and lifeless. I appreciate both not trying to crowdfund a game with cutting edge graphics and trying to have the video give an honest presentation of the game rather than prerendered bullshit. But still...try to make swashbuckling look a little more lively before you try to get backers.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

No, I received no indication it had been shipped beforehand. It came first class USPS in a nice little flat-rate bubble padded envelope. Ship date was listed as 9/16/16 (or at least that is when the shipping label was printed). So ~2-3 days from Chicago to me in California.

Checked late last night, and I got it as well. It's a nice book, pretty much what I expected.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Desiden posted:

What's kind of sad is its not even (or only) the dated graphics. The gameplay just looked dull and lifeless. I appreciate both not trying to crowdfund a game with cutting edge graphics and trying to have the video give an honest presentation of the game rather than prerendered bullshit. But still...try to make swashbuckling look a little more lively before you try to get backers.

Sid Meiers Pirates! Looks more swashbuckling than this.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
They really need to just ask themselves "Can the player, in this game engine, swing from a chandelier?" If the answer is no, start again.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

They really need to just ask themselves "Can the player, in this game engine, swing from a chandelier?" If the answer is no, start again.

Why would they start making it easy for players to swing off chandeliers in a 7th-sea derived game now?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

unseenlibrarian posted:

Why would they start making it easy for players to swing off chandeliers in a 7th-sea derived game now?

:vince:

That said, this falls squarely under my 'no videogames Kickstarter' rule.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kwyndig posted:

:vince:

That said, this falls squarely under my 'no videogames Kickstarter' rule.
Yes. This looks the least likely out of any I've even considered.

This was notable, though:

New Talislanta. Because everything from the 80's and 90's must return. Yeah, it's awesome, but... every book for every edition has been released for free, no strings attached. (I recommend 4th, btw.)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

unseenlibrarian posted:

:golfclap:

Anyway, Assassin's Creed II + Brotherhood + Revelations exists and that's probably the most John Wick series of videogames one could ever want (that Wick had no actual involvement in).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

And if you wanted one with actual pirates, there's Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, and Rogue for all your swashbuckling and stabbing dudes in the throat with armknives you could ever want.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
How so? AssCreed 2 was a good game, how is that wickian?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I feel like they should have gone adventure game for 7th sea. Or a less ambitious, traditional turn based rpg, and just focus on building up the world and lore instead. Because this isn't looking too hot.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

FastestGunAlive posted:

I feel like they should have gone adventure game for 7th sea. Or a less ambitious, traditional turn based rpg, and just focus on building up the world and lore instead. Because this isn't looking too hot.

And yet Monkey Island already exists, so another chance missed. Maybe a Telltale Games Version?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
They were probably thinking '7th Sea is an action game so we need an action system!' but I agree -- an adventure game would have been easier to make and allow them to get stuck into the lore and witty banter in a way that this disaster-in-the-making probably won't.

I mean, I have nothing against the concept or the people involved, this one is just giving me all the signals of a project that's going to come in very late and/or very disappointing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mr.Misfit posted:

Well the ending to AC2 was definitely something Wick would have thought to do in a tabletop game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mr.Misfit posted:

Well, in Black Flag you are forced to stop your cool sandboxy pirate and exploration adventure to return to the "real world" and walk slowly around a modern office building to get unskippable cutscened at. That sounds like something Wick would do.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well the ending to AC2 was definitely something Wick would have thought to do in a tabletop game.

"Desmond, who the hell is Desmond?"

Man, that would have been a great twist in a tabletop game before AC2 came out.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mr.Misfit posted:

Well, it's about a highborn Italian manchild who seeks revenge through often the most underhanded, sociopathic means available, who frequently avenges wronged women and betters the world by raising a society of poisoners and facestabbers.

That doesn't make it bad, it just has a fair deal of commonality with his writing ticks.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, in Black Flag you are forced to stop your cool sandboxy pirate and exploration adventure to return to the "real world" and walk slowly around a modern office building to get unskippable cutscened at. That sounds like something Wick would do.

It's also the best pirate game ever made. And the one with the best views of downtown Canada.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Golden Bee posted:

It's also the best pirate game ever made. And the one with the best views of downtown Canada.

Black Flag really needed a "I don't give a poo poo about your metaplot" setting so you could just skip all the modern-day stuff.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
When you guys talk about wick you're not talking about the awesome movie wherein Keanu Reeves avenges his puppy, are you?

Germ
May 7, 2013

Opportunity ... fading.

Less than 24 hours... remaining

Terrain ... so beautiful.

Must. Pledge. Now.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/48375726/resin-wargaming-scenery-and-terrain-ancient-ruins

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Could someone who kickstarted Scythe give me their initial impressions of it? They have a second printing coming up soon, and I am considering getting it. I think I would prefer a Goon opinion as opposed to BGG, that audience can be, well, a bit weird.

Germ
May 7, 2013

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Could someone who kickstarted Scythe give me their initial impressions of it? They have a second printing coming up soon, and I am considering getting it. I think I would prefer a Goon opinion as opposed to BGG, that audience can be, well, a bit weird.

Haven't played it yet, but a friend backed it, and we're getting set to do a first play through next week. My initial impression is that it's bone-achingly gorgeous. Mechanically, it seems like the way in which the physical components interact (e.g., build a mech, and moving a mech off your board uncovers a new ability that applies to all of your mechs) is pretty cool. Having not played it yet, I'm curious what others think, as well.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I didn't Kickstart it, but I played a Kickstarted copy. I thought it was pretty eh. There was just no sense of excitement or buildup or tension. It didn't even really feel like there was much interaction or competition, especially when the first 20-25% of the game necessitates that people kinda stick to their own, surprisingly ample corners. There wasn't really that much competition for resources or hexes, since you can only produce on 2-3 hexes, so all your dudes are on 2-3 hexes. It was a dudes on a map game where I didn't really feel incentivized to go anywhere on the map. I think literally the most sought after resource were the encounters.

Component quality is tops, though.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

When you guys talk about wick you're not talking about the awesome movie wherein Keanu Reeves avenges his puppy, are you?

Nooope.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

I didn't Kickstart it, but I played a Kickstarted copy. I thought it was pretty eh. There was just no sense of excitement or buildup or tension. It didn't even really feel like there was much interaction or competition, especially when the first 20-25% of the game necessitates that people kinda stick to their own, surprisingly ample corners. There wasn't really that much competition for resources or hexes, since you can only produce on 2-3 hexes, so all your dudes are on 2-3 hexes. It was a dudes on a map game where I didn't really feel incentivized to go anywhere on the map. I think literally the most sought after resource were the encounters.

That is good to know. The whole game really, really reminds me of the second newbie zone in World of Warcraft, I think it was called Westfall. What with the big mechs and farming and whatnot.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

This photo encapsulates every bad experience I've had with gaming.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Germ posted:

Opportunity ... fading.

Must. Pledge. Now.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/48375726/resin-wargaming-scenery-and-terrain-ancient-ruins

These will be available for sale after the campaign right? I'm super interested (the walls I got from your first KS are tops) but I don't have the space for more just yet.

Germ
May 7, 2013

rantmo posted:

These will be available for sale after the campaign right? I'm super interested (the walls I got from your first KS are tops) but I don't have the space for more just yet.

Yup, absolutely!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
In less TTRPG news, Quartermaster General: 1914 has tripled their goal and is 15 days left in their Kickstarter. It's 5 players instead of the original's six, but it's come with a new system of preparing cards and sustaining battles through prepared cards. The original is relatively enjoyable, but the game is stacked in the Allies' favor. This might be similar as it's 3 vs 2, but hopefully the side with 2 players will have bigger and more powerful decks.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Country point

Territory is an important points qualifier and if you are not spreading out once someone is close to victory you are leaving points in the board that can make them hesitate to finish the sixth star. It is especially important due to the fact denying territory losses them popularity which is the point multiplier in the game. If you Guys are not at least slightly competing for the factory space you night have missed that it I'd orth 3 territories. Combat tends to be few and far between due to the interactions of the winner getting a star and the usage of power but simply positioning workers to deny territory without popularity losses can make all the difference.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

It's like he's an intentional caricature of everything bad but I don't get a hint of satire.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Sigma-X posted:

It's like he's an intentional caricature of everything bad but I don't get a hint of satire.

That's because there isn't any. Dehumanise yourself and face to wickshed.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The long overdue Minion Henchling, which, on top of the usual boardgame delays, ran into legal trouble when Universal Studios decided they own the word "minion" in perpetuity, finally reached my doorstep. Production values look good, now I'll have to play it and see if I can remember why I backed it.

Germ posted:

Opportunity ... fading.

Must. Pledge. Now.

By being a special snowflake in the oath thread, I have a couple of the new KS piece, and they are amazing. More people should go pledge.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
To Wick's credit, 7th Sea 2e has absolutely zero Wickisms in it.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I'm preparing to launch my very first Kickstarter -- any chance I could get some folk to skim through it and tell me all the horrible mistakes I'm making?

Pigsmoke Kickstarter Preview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

potatocubed posted:

I'm preparing to launch my very first Kickstarter -- any chance I could get some folk to skim through it and tell me all the horrible mistakes I'm making?

Pigsmoke Kickstarter Preview
Sounds entertaining at first skim-through.

The name is a turn off though. If you had not specifically asked here for people to go look I would never have given it a second glance.