Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I've noticed the best resist gear seems to be rings and necks. Should I accept that I'm going to have to lose my DPS on those slots?

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...u2D-WP-Hf66_sg=

^^^ That's my current build, I'm a few points past it. Following Neversink's TS Ranger build. His guide says to cap resist but I just don't see how that's possible.

If you gently caress all combat stats on gear, and focus only on resists. You can get a full set of resists for less than 3c just by using poe.trade. If you get decent resists and some dps gear, the cost will rise a bit. Capping resists is pretty easy though. You just need to sacrifice dps gear.

This game isn't about pumping DPS gear. It's about survival first, then killing. (Unless you're an rear end in a top hat running a copy pasted ranger bv flask spam build. In which case you can do gently caress all and still do every bit of content in the game)

You'll barely notice the damage loss. Just keep a decent bow, and focus on capping your resists for whatever difficulty you're currently on (or future proof for merciless).

75 - Normal
95 - Cruel (will put you at the 75 cap) (Cruel reduces all res by 20)
135 - Merciless (will put you at the 75 cap) *edit (Merciless recues all res by 40)

Keep in mind, you'll also eventually need chaos resistance in merciless. Unless you plan on going chaos inoculation eventually. Additionally, when you start running maps, you can get mods that reduce your resistances further, and there are curses that do this as well. (So it's a good idea to always have resists on gear, even if you hit the cap already.)

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Has anyone played with Frost Blades? Could you do Deadeye with it and get ridiculous chain+multiple projectile damage going with it? It seems like a really interesting way to get massive projectile damage scaling off a great melee weapon. If there's a unique suited to that kind of thing (as far as I can tell it's probably still just Atziri's Disfavor which rules the roost in this slot?).

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Jinnigan posted:

Has anyone played with Frost Blades? Could you do Deadeye with it and get ridiculous chain+multiple projectile damage going with it? It seems like a really interesting way to get massive projectile damage scaling off a great melee weapon. If there's a unique suited to that kind of thing (as far as I can tell it's probably still just Atziri's Disfavor which rules the roost in this slot?).
That sounds pretty similar to a build I did with Lightning Strike, which scaled the projectile aspect super hard and almost completely ignored melee. Went for pierce focus instead of chain but otherwise was pretty sweet.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Random poking around unique lists:

If you used Frost Blades, you could use Pyre to convert it to Burning Blades, and scale fire damage (and ignite!?) off of physical damage, and then use a bunch of ignite number crunching from earlier in the thread. This would be extremely powerful with vulnerability, I bet. You could achieve something similar with The Three Dragons, or Hrimburn
Touch of Anguish seems like it'd be fun for a more straightforward build.

Is burning damage always scaled off the hit? I can't seem to find any math on how much damage burning does

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 22, 2016

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

theshim posted:

That sounds pretty similar to a build I did with Lightning Strike, which scaled the projectile aspect super hard and almost completely ignored melee. Went for pierce focus instead of chain but otherwise was pretty sweet.

I bet it's a real loving pain to try and kill solo bosses, though, since the initial hit doesn't scale from projectiles at all. What was your experience with that?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Jinnigan posted:

Random poking around unique lists:

If you used Frost Blades, you could use Pyre to convert it to Burning Blades, and scale fire damage (and ignite!?) off of physical damage, and then use a bunch of ignite number crunching from earlier in the thread. This would be extremely powerful with vulnerability, I bet. You could achieve something similar with The Three Dragons
Touch of Anguish seems like it'd be fun for a more straightforward build.

Is burning damage always scaled off the hit? I can't seem to find any math on how much damage burning does

An ignite is based off the damage of the fire hit that inflicted it, burning for 20% of the damage inflicted per second for 4 seconds. Multiple ignites can be inflicted but don't stack, instead only the strongest ignite causes damage until it runs out, then the next strongest til it runs out etc. Under normal circumstances, only modifiers directly applying to fire, elemental, burning, generic damage or damage over time will apply to the burn damage, or if the skill is tagged with Trap or Mine, then trap and mine damage nodes will also apply. There are exceptions of course, spells like Vortex have a property that allows spell damage to doubledip on all DoTs inflicted by the skill where normally it doesn't affect DoT.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 22, 2016

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

nightwisher posted:

An ignite is based off the damage of the fire hit that inflicted it, burning for 20% of the damage inflicted per second for 4 seconds. Multiple ignites can be inflicted but don't stack, instead only the strongest ignite causes damage until it runs out, then the next strongest til it runs out etc. Under normal circumstances, only modifiers directly applying to fire, elemental, burning, generic damage or damage over time will apply to the burn damage. There are exceptions of course, spells like Vortex have a property that allows spell damage to doubledip on all DoTs inflicted by the skill where normally it doesn't affect DoT.

Yeesh. So it sounds like, at least for frost blades, going for Physical -> Cold -> Ignite is gonna be relatively weak.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Jinnigan posted:

Yeesh. So it sounds like, at least for frost blades, going for Physical -> Cold -> Ignite is gonna be relatively weak.

Yeah, unfortunately it would take a lot of effort to make the ignites inflicted by FB meaty enough to be worth it since it doesn't convert a whole lot of phys to cold. You could gently caress around with more elemental conversions, added fire and such but it's a big investment with little room to spare. In general ignite builds works better on slower, harder hitting skills anyway due to the nature of ignite stacking.

edit: speaking of ignite, I wonder what kind of shenanigans you can get up to with the helm mod for 50% ignite chance, eye of innocence and 2x razor of the seventh sun? Run a BV with echo, fcr and inc. duration in the helm and restore 40% hp per second per mob in range while proccing 5x CWDT setups? WAIT! I can try to mix in my heartbound loop CWDT build in too, since I'll have the regen to cover it! :getin:

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 22, 2016

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

What might be some ways to take advantage of the cold damage from frost blades?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO posted:

75 - Normal
95 - Cruel (will put you at the 75 cap)
135 - Merciless (will put you at the 75 cap)

FTFY

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Jinnigan posted:

What might be some ways to take advantage of the cold damage from frost blades?

going inquisitor heh

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Forgot to add the other 20, thanks for the catch.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

nightwisher posted:

Yeah, unfortunately it would take a lot of effort to make the ignites inflicted by FB meaty enough to be worth it since it doesn't convert a whole lot of phys to cold. You could gently caress around with more elemental conversions, added fire and such but it's a big investment with little room to spare. In general ignite builds works better on slower, harder hitting skills anyway due to the nature of ignite stacking.

edit: speaking of ignite, I wonder what kind of shenanigans you can get up to with the helm mod for 50% ignite chance, eye of innocence and 2x razor of the seventh sun? Run a BV with echo, fcr and inc. duration in the helm and restore 40% hp per second per mob in range while proccing 5x CWDT setups? WAIT! I can try to mix in my heartbound loop CWDT build in too, since I'll have the regen to cover it! :getin:

Ha, I was just going through the build browser earlier today and ran across this: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1737363. It looks pretty fun, if not the most effective build in the game.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Well. Here's a dual wielding Frost Blades/Deadeye passive tree I whipped up? Please advise on how it could be improved (and surely it could be): https://poeurl.com/MN4

ugh here's a proper link

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 22, 2016

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

For some reason I got it into my head that dual wielding Touch of Anguish and Doryani's Catalyst might be fun late-game

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

this build seems like: 1. might have survivability problems. 2. might have trouble with bosses. 3. might not be any good at all D:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Oh. I keep checking all the ones I get on poe.trade but I haven't found anything good yet. I don't even know when "endgame" gear buying should start but I'd like to have an Exalted worth of currency by then.

E: I guess endgame is just whenever I finish Merciless.
Most Vaal gems aren't worth very much, unfortunately. As for endgame, the traditional route is to get to Act 4 Merc and then farm Dried Lake for a few easy levels. Once your build is mostly complete you can start tier 1 maps, but before you do you should quickly complete An Indomitable Spirit for the game's final book of skill. None of the other quest rewards are worth it and Merc Malachi actually hits pretty hard so there's no real reason to bother killing him unless you're a completist.

Edit: on gear specifically it's hard to say since it depends so much on the details of your build but if you have capped resists and the ability to clear Dried Lake with no trouble then you're ready to start maps. 1 ex is a reasonable chunk of cash and as long as you aren't running a build that revolves around a particular expensive unique it should be more than enough to gear you up for maps.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 22, 2016

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Ultima66 posted:

E: Actually the life difference is not totally insurmountable, I could use a +1/+2 6L staff with Kaom's Heart if I didn't care about RF. This is another very good option.

Consider Leo modding the staff and running RF anyway.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Jinnigan posted:

For some reason I got it into my head that dual wielding Touch of Anguish and Doryani's Catalyst might be fun late-game

why not double catalysts? do bosses with moltenstrike

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

The Real Foogla posted:

why not double catalysts? do bosses with moltenstrike

I wanted to grab the +1 chain from Touch of Anguish but if that turns out to be dumb Double Doryani's would be heck of fun I bet

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Does WED only apply to a weapon that already has elemental damage on it? Or would it also affect the conversion from Frost Blades/Molten Strike?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Jinnigan posted:

I wanted to grab the +1 chain from Touch of Anguish but if that turns out to be dumb Double Doryani's would be heck of fun I bet

Can you still use frostblades with double Doryani's?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Jinnigan posted:

Does WED only apply to a weapon that already has elemental damage on it? Or would it also affect the conversion from Frost Blades/Molten Strike?

It scales converted damage too. There's a reason it's one of the best gems for so many attack builds.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I've been following a variation on this essence drain build using Occultist and Discipline/TC. I've got 11k ES with maybe 2ex investment in gear and I feel super tanky, it's great.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

vOv posted:

I've been following a variation on this essence drain build using Occultist and Discipline/TC. I've got 11k ES with maybe 2ex investment in gear and I feel super tanky, it's great.

That's the build that I started as, it's very good. I broke nearly 12k ES with discipline yesterday so I broke down and got a Doedre's Damning and switched to a third curse instead. So now I'm at 10.2k ES and running 20/20 temp chains, vulnerability, and enfeeble.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

gonadic io posted:

Can you still use frostblades with double Doryani's?

you should, it only says melee weapons

idk if it alternates weapons or not

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Jinnigan posted:

I bet it's a real loving pain to try and kill solo bosses, though, since the initial hit doesn't scale from projectiles at all. What was your experience with that?
The fun thing about Lightning Strike is that you can just slam the ground and the projectiles fly out, so with the projectile scaling I did it was effectively a ranged build using melee weapons that could clear screens from a nice long distance. Frost Blades doesn't let you do that, so it'll be godawful for single-target, yes.

Jinnigan posted:

WED applies to all elemental damage done using a weapon. So added damage like Hatred as well as converted damage get huge multipliers from it. WED does not work with, say, Facebreaker, since you're not dealing weapon damage, though!

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Okay, so what about something like this CI Deadeye Lightning Strike build?

Alternately, this CI Inquisitor version also seems very powerful

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I ran Vinktar's Square last night for the map completion & shaper's orb, and also the shot at a nice flask, of course.
Unfortunately, the one I got was the "10% lightning penetration" version.

I realized, though, that I could mimic the benefit conferred by the expensive "20% physical damage converted to lightning" flask by simply using Physical To Lightning in my gem setup, thus allowing the Vinktar flask to provide substantial leech.
This has revitalized my interest in creating a flavor of the league Pathfinder Blade Vortex character. Obtaining Rumis and Overflowing Chalice would be easy enough. The expensive Vinktar and the Taste of Hate would have to wait, of course.

My Bladefall trapper is nearly level 91 and has killed two guardians, but Chimera took ages because of his poison immunity. I doubt I could kill the Shaper because the fight would just take too long and I would run out of flasks.
I know Pathfinder Blade Vortex can do it, but can it do it without Taste of Hate and with a slightly less optimized gem setup (Phys to Lightning instead of Increased Critical Damage or something like that)?

With 3ex to my name I could fund the character's starter equipment pretty easily, since I already have the (lesser) Vinktar. Somebody talk sense into me.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The flat spell damage vinktar is fine

I did red maps without any problems. Main thing is having lots of es, I had 8k.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Keep in mind the flat damage one is done x20 stacks and there's really few situations which require more leech than that... Main issue is flat es and uptime. Maybe to face tank shaper you might need the expensive vinktar

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

You don't have much attack speed or accuracy in those builds. I had this one planned for this league but haven't tried it yet:

poeurl.com/MPU

It was intended as a Hyaon's LS Life based Raider but it could work with any weapon if you use Phys2Light gem for pure lightning. Might need to rejig the tree and take some of the weapon specific nodes which afaik also scale the projectile damage, I have thought about doing it with that unique mace from the minotaur but I doubt i'll be able to afford one in EHC. It's pierce based but you can do it with Chain, which I might do anyway if I actually play this character. You can always use Molten Strike for single targets since you're a proj build as well

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 22, 2016

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

gonadic io posted:

Consider Leo modding the staff and running RF anyway.

1. Trying to find an actual good +3 staff is misery and it turns out that the free lvl 5 Cold to Fire link from Realm Ender adds more damage than +1 extra level you'd get from a rare +3 staff with Empower anyways. There's not really any compelling reason not to use Realm Ender unless you find a really sick +3 cold staff, or are willing to craft a +3 cold Crude Bow for the ability to use a quiver.
2. The whole point of going staff is so that I don't have to spend all the points on regen since I don't get to use RF on most maps already.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Found an Iron Commander bow so it's time to make a Siege Ballista character, thinking probably Duelist Champion for the survivability. Everyone seems to go crit elemental damage so I'll probably do the same and see how it goes. Alternatively I could go Templar Heriophant and go for 6 ballistas which sounds hilarious as well.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Working on my whispering ice build. Does anyone have a fertile mind, izaro turmoil, or bf solution?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ButtWolf posted:

Working on my whispering ice build. Does anyone have a fertile mind, izaro turmoil, or bf solution?

I might have the jewels

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.

Got a divine drop, thought "why the hell not".

Did not regret doing it.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I'm really hoping one of these days I see a Ventor's that's all zeroes.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

whypick1 posted:

I'm really hoping one of these days I see a Ventor's that's all zeroes.

Wasn't that how they teased it- showed off a new unique with no text?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Right you are:

• Locked thread