Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God drat, am I still happy main character death is game over is still a thing in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zelmel posted:

Persona 5 needs a stealth game spinoff ala Thief, Dishonored, or Metal Gear Solid.

That is the actual game. Seriously.

Baal posted:

God drat, am I still happy main character death is game over is still a thing in this game.

It's so weird to me they kept it. Maybe a later Cooperation turns it off or something? Even SMTIV:A makes it an optional thing you can turn on.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 22, 2016

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Are ya'll playing on hard difficulty?

Because half of the things one-shot in hard difficulty.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ntan1 posted:

I'm playing normal but even on normal the damage numbers are pretty high. It's a lot more in vein of SMTIV where you need to get the ambushes on enemies to avoid wasting a ton of resources on healing or getting one shot.

Which I think actually works because it encourages the stealth gameplay.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

ntan1 posted:

ImpAtom posted:

I'm playing normal but even on normal the damage numbers are pretty high. It's a lot more in vein of SMTIV where you need to get the ambushes on enemies to avoid wasting a ton of resources on healing or getting one shot.

Which I think actually works because it encourages the stealth gameplay.

God dammit, I was just about to come in here and ask about this. I was never a big fan of SMT4's big swingy numbers and lack of a defense stat, partially because the controls on the map weren't the best and your team being able to vomit infinite numbers made everything feel trivial, whereas if the enemy did stuff you just exploded, rip.

If the out-of-control numbers are still a thing, I think I'll end up giving 4A a miss. :smith: I just didn't have a lot of fun with the original by the end. And it's a shame because it seems like a lot of other stuff got addressed.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
They're talking about Persona 5

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

The GIG posted:

They're talking about Persona 5

well rip me then

In that case, yeah, has the crazy damage scaling and "everyone explodes on contact" problem from SMT4 been addressed much in 4A? I can't seem to find much discussion of that point, and it's more or less the deal-maker for me picking it up.

(And for P5, I think it'd work better because yeah, the game really emphasizes stealth and ambushing. I'm going to be curious to see how it feels compared to, say, SMT4, where the big damage kind of put me off after a while.)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Big swingy fights are still a very big thing iin SMT4A, but there is literally no penalty whatsoever for death. Dagda pops up after you die, calls you a noob scrub, and boots you back to the spot you were standing in. (Or a little farther back if it was a boss fight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

well rip me then

In that case, yeah, has the crazy damage scaling and "everyone explodes on contact" problem from SMT4 been addressed much in 4A? I can't seem to find much discussion of that point, and it's more or less the deal-maker for me picking it up.

(And for P5, I think it'd work better because yeah, the game really emphasizes stealth and ambushing. I'm going to be curious to see how it feels compared to, say, SMT4, where the big damage kind of put me off after a while.)

It's less swingy than SMTIV where I am so far in that damage numbers are a little more balanced across the board but it's still very much a game about finishing off enemies as quickly as possible because they'll overwhelm you if they get a lot of turns.

But honestly SMT has frequently been about that, especially since the introduction of the press-turn system. Most fights are about figuring out how to deny the enemy turns while getting as many turns as possible, so it doesn't bother me much. Being able to mitigate an element always mattered more than pure defensive stats and the same is true in P5 and in SMTIV both versions. SMTIV's problem was largely that it was a bit too trivial to reach the point of nuking everything without effort which SMTIVA seems to have toned back on but I don't know how long that will last.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 22, 2016

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It's less swingy than SMTIV where I am so far in that damage numbers are a little more balanced across the board but it's still very much a game about finishing off enemies as quickly as possible because they'll overwhelm you if they get a lot of turns.

But honestly SMT has frequently been about that, especially since the introduction of the press-turn system. Most fights are about figuring out how to deny the enemy turns while getting as many turns as possible, so it doesn't bother me much. Being able to mitigate an element always mattered more than pure defensive stats and the same is true in P5 and in SMTIV both versions. SMTIV's problem was largely that it was a bit too trivial to reach the point of nuking everything without effort which SMTIVA seems to have toned back on but I don't know how long that will last.

Honestly it probably won't last long. It's not as bad as IV was but once you get rolling it's pretty easy to coast, outside of a few places like one dungeon that gets harder every time you clear it. SMTIVA gets around it by having some genuinely hard boss battles. I played on hard so YMMV but there were a handful of times I got owned so badly the first time I went into a boss fight that I thought I was in one of those "you have to lose" battles so common in JRPGs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

Honestly it probably won't last long. It's not as bad as IV was but once you get rolling it's pretty easy to coast, outside of a few places like one dungeon that gets harder every time you clear it. SMTIVA gets around it by having some genuinely hard boss battles. I played on hard so YMMV but there were a handful of times I got owned so badly the first time I went into a boss fight that I thought I was in one of those "you have to lose" battles so common in JRPGs.

Well, that's most SMT games in a nutshell honestly. They're largely about creating the proper team composition to take on what you're facing without running dry on resources before your next healing spot. The more you play the easier they get because some tactics are basically universal across the games and it's just a matter of figuring out what specific set of unique quirks you've got to consider. I don't think that's a flaw as "create a powerful team comp to handle situations readily and keep updating it properly to meet new challenges" is pretty fine for an RPG. People who know how to min-max are going to have an easier time with it because the game rewards the hell out of that.

To be honest P5 going stealth game honestly feels like a logical extension of the franchise in that regards. Ever since Press Turns or similar became the franchise standard it has always been about optimal nuking of enemies before they get a turn so focusing on the idea that you win fights by catching enemies off-guard and obliterating them before they respond seems like a more natural fit than traditional RPG battles. It's probably still a little on the easy side but I've played enough JRPGs to know that "on the easy side" will still be considered really punishing to a lot of people.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh my god, the third target's treasure is just Bison Dollars.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I am working my way through the Persona series right now having previous played only the "mainline" games. Is Persona 3:FES enjoyable challenging on Hard mode for a first time play mode or is it only intended for NG+ or masochists?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I'd say the lack of being able to control directly what your party does is challenge enough, so I'd go with normal if it's FES.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Randler posted:

I am working my way through the Persona series right now having previous played only the "mainline" games. Is Persona 3:FES enjoyable challenging on Hard mode for a first time play mode or is it only intended for NG+ or masochists?

Normal first, the lack of direct control without the benefit of Ng+ stats makes it an exercise in frustration. If you played P3P I'd say go hard mode since you can control your party directly.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Anyone got some GAMEPLAY TIPS for PERSONA 2 INNOCENT SIN? Thanks, family.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Baal posted:

Oh my god, the third target's treasure is just Bison Dollars.

I hope you finished the dungeon on a Tuesday.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Tired Moritz posted:

Anyone got some GAMEPLAY TIPS for PERSONA 2 INNOCENT SIN? Thanks, family.

If you played Persona 2 Eternal Punishment then everything from there is true and not much more to add
Make contracts with demons and get lots of cards from them so you can get lots of Free Tarot and don't have to get the specific arcana you need
Cast spells of different elements in a row to discover Fusion Spells and then spam them al lthe time
Try the different combinations whenever you get a new type of elemental spell
You can shuffle around the personas within your party to just spam fusion spells all the time
It is a fairly easy and straightforward game really

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Futaba is the fourth target and the goal is to piece her heart together.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oh right, I wanted to ask someone who knows about P5 stuff. What is the in-game reason for there being a time limit on completing dungeons this time? Just out of curiosity.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's target-based.

Kamoshida's is the day he's planning to expel you, Kaneshiro's is the day he's going to start dealing with you using his blackmail, and Idk what Madarame's and Futaba's are.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Baal posted:

It's target-based.

Kamoshida's is the day he's planning to expel you, Kaneshiro's is the day he's going to start dealing with you using his blackmail, and Idk what Madarame's and Futaba's are.

Ah, that's a pretty good way to go about it. Nice.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Baal posted:

Futaba is the fourth target and the goal is to piece her heart together.

Futaba's name is also a pun for 2chan, is a shut in, is a hacker, and also invents an organization that literally could have the name anon in order to make you piece her heart together

Word is that there is a good ending but no true ending

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Boy do I love boats

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baal posted:

Boy do I love boats

Just a calm night out on the lake between two bros.

I do enjoy his Social Links but I honestly wouldn't be an iota surprised when people write them hooking up even if the game doesn't.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't handle this dude

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Marry him

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would seriously consider it if it were an option as it stands now I'm torn between Punch Student Council Prez and Tired of this poo poo Teacher who moonlights as a Paid Dating Girl.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Kanji has just been ruthlessly dethroned as best husbando.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's still kinda weird to think about the fact that Persona 5 is now extant. It is a thing that exists, even if I can't play it for like 5 months.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There's a five month delay because the American/European version will let you date Yusuke.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Baal posted:

Boy do I love boats

all aboard the sex boat

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Offscreen Morganna is singing like Sebastian but the lyrics of the song is just "Kiss the Boy" screamed at different volumes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Out of curiosity Baal. What is your opinion on the third target.Whose Demon form shares your username, despite clearly being based on Beelzebub.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 22, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Baal posted:

I would seriously consider it if it were an option as it stands now I'm torn between Punch Student Council Prez and Tired of this poo poo Teacher who moonlights as a Paid Dating Girl.

Do you have to pay to do her SL events?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
His boss fight was funny, but it's just another in a line of bosses I did not care for and thought was lame. Tbh though it's not like I've ever really liked any Persona bosses with the exception of like Adachi into Ameno-Sagiri, so it's not like this game is lighting my world on fire, but most of the bosses in this game feel pretty lame and uninspired. Also, idk why they keep swapping names around for demons because Mammon is supposed to be greed, but they switched Beelzebub to the greed demon and renamed him to Baal and Mammon is the gluttony demon for some reason. That being said the fourth dungeon boss fight sucked hard, oh my god am I not looking forward to fighting it again on replay.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Do you have to pay to do her SL events?

Yes, 5k yen per call.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Baal posted:

His boss fight was funny, but it's just another in a line of bosses I did not care for and thought was lame. Tbh though it's not like I've ever really liked any Persona bosses with the exception of like Adachi into Ameno-Sagiri, so it's not like this game is lighting my world on fire, but most of the bosses in this game feel pretty lame and uninspired. Also, idk why they keep swapping names around for demons because Mammon is supposed to be greed, but they switched Beelzebub to the greed demon and renamed him to Baal and Mammon is the gluttony demon for some reason. That being said the fourth dungeon boss fight sucked hard, oh my god am I not looking forward to fighting it again on replay.

Yes, 5k yen per call.

I've watched footage up to the first boss and it seemed pretty cool, if a bit easy. Do they just get worse as the game progresses? Keep in mind I care more about neat gimmicks than actual difficulty.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ehhh, the second boss fight's gimmick is pretty whatever and the third boss fight's more involved and funny, the fourth boss gimmick is boring and just encompasses the whole fight and it has the most annoying voice clips of any boss in the game so far. The first boss sets the tone for the game fine with its gimmick, but I feel like the second boss is a boring follow up and it's the only one that doesn't use the special command mechanic so far.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Baal posted:

Yes, 5k yen per call.

Is she a romance option? She sounds cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes