Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

bobkatt013 posted:

That was the thing that lead to his fate

I know that, but it sucks that got retconned in. 'oh BTW he's been a junkie all along, and now he dies.' Talk about character assassination, both literal and metaphorical. And I say that as someone who likes the overall story. I'm the guy who gets overly attached to C-Listers, it's my thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Vote Loki ended so unbelievably well. Christopher Hastings spent three loving months heavily implying that it wasn't a Gillen Loki story only for it to be revealed to be a Gillen Loki story in the final issue and it's loving incredible.

If you quit Vote Loki because the political satire was too biting or the entire thing was too dark or it didn't use Gillen Loki's characterization, pick it up. Because that final loving issue makes the whole thing tie together in a way that was mother loving incredible.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Sorry, but what makes a 'Gillen Loki' story a Gillen Loki story?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That Loki's trying to change his nature, rather than Loki Mwahahahaha

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Kieron Gillen basically reinvented the character of Loki from the ground up when he was killed off/reborn in and after Siege, giving him an arc away from usual villain / angry little brother with a grudge into pained anti-hero who did the 'right thing', but usually in a really morally dubious or unethical way. He also made it a story (more saga, really, considering how long the Loki arc runs and how many different comics it covers) about Loki trying desperately to distance himself from his own horrible legacy and be redefined on his own terms, leading to - when Ewing took over the character in Loki: Agent of Asgard - this huge moment where he gives up the mantle of 'God of Mischief' and rechristens himself the 'God of Stories'.

That's basically the summation of it, but Young Loki/Gillen Loki is basically a totally different character (Gillen made Loki specifically genderfluid, amongst many other things) from the Loki that came before/fought the Avengers in their first issue.

Christopher Hastings presented a version of Loki that seemed to sort of square with the version that existed pre-Gillen (self-interested prick focused entirely on manipulating others for his own gain) and inverted it in the final issue by squaring it with the current interpretation of Loki in a way that not only was congruent, but made sense and was earned. It was an excellent, excellent end to the mini.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Can someone spoil it for me? I couldn't handle the art.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Loki was a Hillary plant.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Marvel/comments/4smpzp/full_list_of_anad_marvel_titles_being_cancelled/

Books being 'Cancelled' some of these are being relaunched, and some of them are just dead, they aren't really surprising given public data and plans for the future.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wow is it disappointing to see Spider-Man/Deadpool getting cancelled.

I already knew about Vision, but Astonishing Ant-Man, Carnage, Spider-Man/Deadpool, Drax, and Spidey getting cancelled as well is a bit of a bummer.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Toxxupation posted:

Kieron Gillen basically reinvented the character of Loki from the ground up when he was killed off/reborn in and after Siege, giving him an arc away from usual villain / angry little brother with a grudge into pained anti-hero who did the 'right thing', but usually in a really morally dubious or unethical way. He also made it a story (more saga, really, considering how long the Loki arc runs and how many different comics it covers) about Loki trying desperately to distance himself from his own horrible legacy and be redefined on his own terms, leading to - when Ewing took over the character in Loki: Agent of Asgard - this huge moment where he gives up the mantle of 'God of Mischief' and rechristens himself the 'God of Stories'.

That's basically the summation of it, but Young Loki/Gillen Loki is basically a totally different character (Gillen made Loki specifically genderfluid, amongst many other things) from the Loki that came before/fought the Avengers in their first issue.

Christopher Hastings presented a version of Loki that seemed to sort of square with the version that existed pre-Gillen (self-interested prick focused entirely on manipulating others for his own gain) and inverted it in the final issue by squaring it with the current interpretation of Loki in a way that not only was congruent, but made sense and was earned. It was an excellent, excellent end to the mini.

Is this from Gillen's run on Journey Into Mystery? I remember him doing a lot of Asgard stuff, but that seems like the run that focuses most on Loki.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Onmi posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Marvel/comments/4smpzp/full_list_of_anad_marvel_titles_being_cancelled/

Books being 'Cancelled' some of these are being relaunched, and some of them are just dead, they aren't really surprising given public data and plans for the future.

No more A Force makes me sad, though with She-Hulk getting the new solo Hulk title and apparently Captain Marvel rebooting I guess it's not too shocking, mildly disappointed about Mockingbird too. I was just going to get that in trades though.

Completely different topic but something that I've wondered about since Last Days and the ANAD relaunch. In Ms Marvel, Kamala tell her mum about her superheroing and her mum reveals she had already figured it out. Did that still happen in the ANAD universe or not? I didn't read the main event that was centred around so it was possibly explained there.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Sep 22, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

:golfclap:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I thought Spider-Man/Deadpool was selling well? Did editorial not like Kelly making repeated references to OMD?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I thought Spider-Man/Deadpool was selling well? Did editorial not like Kelly making repeated references to OMD?

To clarify a book being 'cancelled' doesn't mean it wont be relaunched. Like... Venom: Space Knight, becoming just Venom. They might want to make Spider-Man/Deadpool instead a Crossover of X/Deadpool or X/Spiderman.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
That list is two months old and there's an issue of Spider-Man/Deadpool in the December solicits, so the list might not be reliable anymore.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Considering Mockingbird was originally only 6 issues, thats not too bad. Not surprised about Scarlet Witch, it didn't really seem like a series that was made for a long run. Though A-force makes me sad, it's probably a victim of post CW2 fallout.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

I've been trying to think of how CW2 could be any dumber...just watch, they're going to make Ulysses one of the split off pieces of Kang the Conqueror and that's what he's doing, he's not telling the future, he's remembering it/manipulating it.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
If you read the comments it's seems clear that "LRedditor15" has no inside source and is just going by rumors and that list of NOW!-2 books we already know is incomplete.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Anime_Otaku posted:

Completely different topic but something that I've wondered about since Last Days and the ANAD relaunch. In Ms Marvel, Kamala tell her mum about her superheroing and her mum reveals she had already figured it out. Did that still happen in the ANAD universe or not? I didn't read the main event that was centred around so it was possibly explained there.
Her mother's still aware as of the first arc of the ANAD relaunch, though how the hell her father and brother and sister-in-law didn't figure it out after the climax of the second arc...

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

Martinpale posted:

I've been trying to think of how CW2 could be any dumber...just watch, they're going to make Ulysses one of the split off pieces of Kang the Conqueror and that's what he's doing, he's not telling the future, he's remembering it/manipulating it.

This sounds good though.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

So Ulysses is just Iron Lad playing hookie again?

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

This sounds good though.

Oh no, it sounds great, AND they've laid the groundwork for it with both the Inhumans and the Avengers. I just don't trust Bendis to pull it off and not use it as some sort of 'punching time' reset button somewhere down the line. Bendis has already shown he can't handle time travel, etc. with any sort of finesse.

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 22, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

Martinpale posted:

Oh no, it sounds great, AND they've laid the groundwork for it with both the Inhumans and the Avengers. I just don't trust Bendis to pull it off as and not use it as some sort of 'punching time' reset button somewhere down the line. Bendis has already shown he can't handle time travel, etc. with any sort of finesse.

Oh yeah I forget Bendis is writing it and he is awful at time travel. It being Kang loving with everyone is cool and he hasn't been a real big baddie for awhile.

Fake edit: what other big avengers villains haven't shown up for awhile? Ultron pops up every other arc so he can stay away.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

Fake edit: what other big avengers villains haven't shown up for awhile? Ultron pops up every other arc so he can stay away.

Jim Shooter.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It weirds me out whenever I see people talk about how much they miss Jim Shooter being in charge of Marvel. Nostalgia is a strange beast.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jim Shooter should be the villain in the next big Marvel crossover.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Mr Hootington posted:

Oh yeah I forget Bendis is writing it and he is awful at time travel. It being Kang loving with everyone is cool and he hasn't been a real big baddie for awhile.

I don't know what constitutes big baddie, but I feel like he's showing up all the time. Before Secret Wars, he was in the Avengers Original Sin tie in, and before that he was responsible for the Apocalypse Twins in Uncanny Avengers. Fraction's FF, etc;

He hasn't been center to any events, but he's always around in one story or another.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

It weirds me out whenever I see people talk about how much they miss Jim Shooter being in charge of Marvel. Nostalgia is a strange beast.

To be fair, I've seen at least one person make a good case if he'd been successful in his bid to buy Marvel, we might have avoided the excesses of the Dark Age.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm the one person that wants another High Evolutionary arc. I a have soft spot for that particular purple faced villain among other purple faced villains. I know in recent years he's been in Uncanny Avengers and New Warriors but I welcome him any time they trot him out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The 80s had some of the best Marvel runs ever, for so many different characters. I don't know when exactly Shooter presided over them (well, I know during Secret Wars at least) but it would make sense that some people pine for that era again even if what they're doing is attributing the stories to Shooter and not the rest of the editors and writers/artists.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jim Shooter presided over Avengers 200, but he also gave me Valiant. So it balances out.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

X-O posted:

I'm the one person that wants another High Evolutionary arc. I a have soft spot for that particular purple faced villain among other purple faced villains. I know in recent years he's been in Uncanny Avengers and New Warriors but I welcome him any time they trot him out.

Purple is like a seal of quality for super villains.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Vision #11 question - are King's references from the original comics? Specifically the dialogue between Vision and Ultron upon his creation, and how he got his name.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Martinpale posted:

I don't want to sound like a broken record that harps on this thing but I can't stress enough just how little of an actual story CW2 is and more just Bendis throwing random events at a velcro wall and trying to make them seem deep and weighty when there's virtually no rhyme or substance in anything that's happened so far.

Y'notice how a lot of the issue has characters wondering why other characters are on the side that they're on, but...no one ever actually answers or give any definitive reasoning for their positions? Like, wait Doctor Strange, why are you actually against pre-crimes? Or gee, Star-Lord, do you really believe Carol's right, here? But then nothing. Storm says some vague thing about the visions being useful, I guess, but beyond that there's no substance behind why anyone's actually doing anything here. Oh but sure let's spend like four pages showing our fresh break-out "character" Ulysses being doe-eyed and pathetic and having another uncontrolled vision about an arbitrary ludicrous event that grinds the ""plot"" to a screeching random curveball that makes no sense. Hey, remember how Carol's got a innocent women locked up indefinitely for no reason whatsoever and that's the whole reason you started fighting here in the first place? Should someone do something about that?...no?...okay.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 22, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Remember how Carol emotionally manipulated a Muslim child to be in favor of profiling?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

bagrada posted:

Vision #11 question - are King's references from the original comics? Specifically the dialogue between Vision and Ultron upon his creation, and how he got his name.

Yup. He mentioned it in the letters page.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!
Wolverine: the end is an awful comic mini series.

Rucka's wolverine is pretty good and I recommend it.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yup. He mentioned it in the letters page.

Oops. I remember reading most of those letters but somehow I skimmed over the opening paragraph. Thanks.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Mr Hootington posted:

Rucka's wolverine is pretty good and I recommend it.

The "Coyote Crossing" arc is one of the great "lost" stories of the character. You probably can't fit it into continuity without a crowbar, but it's a good read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Jim Shooter was Editor in Chief of Marvel from 1978-1987, which is longer than anyone besides Lee or Quesada.

Avengers 200 was a real piece of poo poo and I guess he kept a lot of creators from their full artistic expression or whatever, but he also published Miller's Daredevil, Simonson's Thor, the prime years of Claremont X-Men, Byrne FF, Stern/Buscema Avengers, Stern/Romita Spider-Man, etc. etc. etc. I'm all for auteur theory of comics or whatever, but given the post-1987 track record of guys like Claremont/Byrne/Miller, are we 100% sure that Shooter was an evil bad evil bad guy for shooting down some of their pure artistic ideas?

Shooter isn't some sort of perfect saint and he can be self-aggrandizing and etc. etc. but people who paint him as some kind of monster have a really strange and/or simplistic view of comics history and/or humanity.

• Locked thread