Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Great, now I want a loving train on all terrains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Godholio posted:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
that is the most alaskan/russian thing I have ever seen.

Also, a friend of mine (the guy who sold me the deathkart for the next NEAI meet) has made use of the space that sale freed up. His new project came home today.

Unlike all his jeeps, if this one leaks he's in really deep poo poo.

It's got a really weird transaxle/transfer case.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Yay Amphicars!

The car that good at neither being a boat nor a car, but it's so lovable anyways! :)

Butt Science
Sep 3, 2007

?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Seen at the weekend.
Had a nice hot chocolate and slice of lemon loaf

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

You post the best things in this thread. A slammed fifth wheel is my dream truck. .

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Must have been Franklin and Eleanor's touring van.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

In some part of my mind, I will always feel like I wasted my life because I don't have one of those.

e: Or possibly die with one while involved in a high speed chase with the National Guard.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 21, 2016

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

This is a Losi 1/5 5IVE-T that has been converted to a brushless electric motor and lithium batteries.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
My reactions:
"Fuckin' sweet."
"Fuckin' hilarious."
"Fuckin' WHAT?"

Isn't that a Scud launcher chassis? Well, not Scud (those are 8-wheeled), but something similar.

Edit: in similar news, a couple weeks ago I was working down near Ft. Polk and met an HEMTT on a little 2-lane backroad out in the woods. That was terrifying, those things are huge.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 21, 2016

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Delivery McGee posted:

My reactions:
"Fuckin' sweet."
"Fuckin' hilarious."
"Fuckin' WHAT?"

Isn't that a Scud launcher chassis? Well, not Scud (those are 8-wheeled), but something similar.

Edit: in similar news, a couple weeks ago I was working down near Ft. Polk and met an HEMTT on a little 2-lane backroad out in the woods. That was terrifying, those things are huge.

thats no maz7310. its something purpose built afaik. that was a locomotive btw.

a hemtt will be my next big toy. You can turn the 8v92TA up to 750hp(for short bursts). :getin:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

cursedshitbox posted:

Yeah, the body's pretty obviously a train, I was just trying to figure out where the frame and axles came from -- all the big Soviet trucks I can find have either 4 or 6 axles. Though given the angle on the middle wheel, that might just be a spare tire propped up in there rather than a fifth axle.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I was wrong, RV interior design hasn't changed in 80 years.

Yes, it has, that is classy and well built and not instantly dated.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

I think it's a MAZ 7917

And as big as it looks, it's actually even bigger

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Delivery McGee posted:

My reactions:
"Fuckin' sweet."
"Fuckin' hilarious."
"Fuckin' WHAT?"

When life gives you lemons, you carefully stitch them together so you can live in them.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Aren't train carriages really really heavy? How could thode things even move?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

Aren't train carriages really really heavy? How could thode things even move?

That's an M62 locomotive, which weighs about 128 tons. I don't know how much a loaded missle launch platform weighs but I wouldn't be surprised if it were close to that.

I think the theory is that it is intended as a mobile power plant. The engine output is 1974 hp, or just under 1.5 MW.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

That's an M62 locomotive, which weighs about 128 tons. I don't know how much a loaded missle launch platform weighs but I wouldn't be surprised if it were close to that.

I think the theory is that it is intended as a mobile power plant. The engine output is 1974 hp, or just under 1.5 MW.

Well the missile weighs in at 45,100 kg, so if you were super generous and said the erector and launcher set weighed in at around the same, you're well under that carriage.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Along the line of weight, this popped up on reddit recently:

http://imgur.com/a/bSOKf

(nsfw, some bare chests)

They had a number of problems with the vehicle being too heavy and getting stuck when it broke through hard soil. That's the sort of problem I never would have considered prior to building my badass offroad RV.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

xzzy posted:

Along the line of weight, this popped up on reddit recently:

http://imgur.com/a/bSOKf

(nsfw, some bare chests)

They had a number of problems with the vehicle being too heavy and getting stuck when it broke through hard soil. That's the sort of problem I never would have considered prior to building my badass offroad RV.

Pro-loving-click right there. I like the segment about their fuel system getting clogged with water and debris somewhere in the jungle.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Captain Postal posted:

I think it's a MAZ 7917

And as big as it looks, it's actually even bigger

The 7917 has seven axles. The MAZ 547 is a 6-axle version, but it's strange there would be surplus TEL platforms for the SS-20, it's a newish system.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Pro-loving-click right there. I like the segment about their fuel system getting clogged with water and debris somewhere in the jungle.

Eh, the bit where they waited around for a couple of days for someone to turn up and rescue them?

evilcat
May 16, 2009

Godholio posted:

The 7917 has seven axles. The MAZ 547 is a 6-axle version, but it's strange there would be surplus TEL platforms for the SS-20, it's a newish system.

I believe there were a couple built on the 7917 chassis as some project at some Moscow institution. I believe diesel electric with each wheel having a motor, 37mph top speed, and they hit some mechanical failure before off road testing that was supposed to be in 2003. Intended use has still not been revealed, but it was abandoned and is missing some parts in that picture. I believe the main suspicion is the goal was to create mobile power stations of some sort.
On the picture from the other side of the unit, it's missing a couple wheel units, so they're probably sitting out to rot and have parts taken from them as needed. Not as crazy as the 7906 and 7907, but a pretty typical fate it seems for low production hardware in Russia.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Posted on Finnegan's Instagram with hashtag "boostcaboose"

It appears to be an engine on a trailer. Just about any possible option for combining that with "boostcaboose" is completely insane, and awesome.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Is that the Vega or whatever the hell it was that they tried to supercharge with leaf blowers?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

boxen posted:

Is that the Vega or whatever the hell it was that they tried to supercharge with leaf blowers?

Monza

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
They're making a trailer, with an engine, solely to power a huge fuckoff supercharger, that they're going to use to charge the car towing the trailer.

Holy poo poo.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

pretty sure it's just the sheet metal cab of the locomotive and not the heavy rear end frame to it

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

pretty sure it's just the sheet metal cab of the locomotive and not the heavy rear end frame to it

If they kept the v16 diesel I think they probably kept at least some of the frame to support it. Also that is old enough (60s) that it may be a legitimate hood unit, not just a cowl unit, in which case the hood is part of the structure, not just a cover.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Posted on Finnegan's Instagram with hashtag "boostcaboose"

It appears to be an engine on a trailer. Just about any possible option for combining that with "boostcaboose" is completely insane, and awesome.

I would unironically love to find a Monza with a great body and interior and slam a blown LS in it.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
well this is one of the best Lego engine I have seen in a long time:

with video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uRT3Vu9j9A

This Lego Caterham set is supposed to go on sale Oct 1

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Matt Farah drives a 1927 Bugatti Type 35....I'm spergin' SO HARD RIGHT NOW :swoon: This car is insanely cool. My jimmies are 100% rustled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1SbnR3aBtM

stump
Jan 19, 2006

GramCracker posted:

Matt Farah drives a 1927 Bugatti Type 35....I'm spergin' SO HARD RIGHT NOW :swoon: This car is insanely cool. My jimmies are 100% rustled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1SbnR3aBtM

Saw that earlier. Then watched the Alfa one. Then Leno driving a black Pur Sang type 35. Surprisingly reasonable at £200k, admittedly I don't have 2k to spend on a sports car right now, but if I had the money I would be all over it.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

gileadexile posted:

I would unironically love to find a Monza with a hosed body and no interior and slam a junkyard turbo LM7 in it.

fixed

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 22, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

gileadexile posted:

I would unironically love to find a Monza with a great body and interior and slam a blown LS in it.

Roadkill posted a new picture..... themselves with Mighty Car Mods in front of said Monza.

IT'S loving ON PEOPLE MCM v ROADKILL

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't even know that there's a "versus" in there, it's just four guys loving around instead of two. Which is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
:awesome: