Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

A white man ignoring black people problems ain't new.

If he can ignore/justify rape, he can ignore other problems just as hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
still waiting for any white guy to join in the protest. did I miss one? we got Rapinoe and WNBA players left and right standing in solidarity, where the gently caress are the white NFL players? personally I'm disappointed in Connor Barwin, I would've thought he'd be down

seiferguy posted:

Richard Sherman might be backing away from that All Lives Matter stance. He refused to take questions at his press conference:

oh wow it only took *does quick mental calculation* several dozen more deaths, with many having video publicly available, to make him reconsider. what a smart dude, you can really tell he went to Stanford or whatever bullshit

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
yeah it'd be better if Sherman hadn't changed his mind about it.

also Chris Long talked about supporting Kaepernick's protest and what it's about, but stopped short of kneeling himself.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

indigi posted:

still waiting for any white guy to join in the protest. did I miss one? we got Rapinoe and WNBA players left and right standing in solidarity, where the gently caress are the white NFL players? personally I'm disappointed in Connor Barwin, I would've thought he'd be down
Pure speculation here but it wouldn't surprise me if Derek Wolfe joined in at some point. He's really tight with his teammates and had a very rough upbringing himself.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Spoeank posted:

One of my best friends is completely incapable of seeing past his own life experiences. Both his parents are teachers and he immediately appeals to the authority figure. He's cis, and he has told me just "doesn't understand" trans people. He also can't differentiate between BLM protesters and the opportunist rioters in Ferguson, etc.

He's not stupid, he's not hateful, but he has massive blinders for anything that doesn't match his upbringing. It's fascinating how incapable he is of seeing the other side. Not out of malice but pure inability.

I was raised a conservative republican, and after college it took me a hard decade or so to realize how stupid that ideology is. Not only is it easily contradicted, but also the more you learn about the people who believe it, the more you realize just how awful they are as humans. My turn didn't happen overnight. It was a slow and painful stripping away much of what I'd been raised to believe as truth. The only way to STAY conservative is to be coerced into believing that all media that isn't "Right" media is out to control the news and how you think. The entire ideology is propped up on propaganda and echo chambers. Every hour of every day, you can turn on and listen to some blowhard editorializing the news for the right world view. You've got Talk radio, 24/7 Fox News, Drudge report, and now alt-right online media and blogs that have embraced full tabloid-mode like Breitbart, Infowars, and a few dozen other sites with catchy titles that include words like right and conservative.

Honestly... football is about the only way to inject "likeable" blacks into their loving view. LOL, white people watching basketball? You think it's odd they call Stanford educated Richard Sherman a thug? They unironically believe that anyone who plays basketball is a thug, without ever hearing a word out of their mouths.

This isn't even a straw man I'm building. I'm describing real loving people that I know and have continuous interactions with.

If your friend is a good dude, he can be worn down. If he's really just a decent person with some lovely paradigms, you can slowly strip that away with evidence. Once someone reaches a certain point, though, they become a grand wizard of lovely opinions and will die on literally any hill they're presented with.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 22, 2016

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

LOL, white people watching basketball?

Does this mean I'm not white?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

he's made it

https://twitter.com/TIME/status/778960852527489028

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Metapod posted:

Does this mean I'm not white?

I too watch the basketballs.

I'm talking about the brand of conservative, white, religious shithead who still believes black people should be respectful and enjoy the freedom they've been allowed to this point.

Indiana is the exception. Those crackers love their loving basketball.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

This is awesome. I am a little encouraged by the fact that his sitting/kneeling has really fueled debate and discussion on this issue of racial inequality and it seems to have some legs with more people taking part. Yah it would have been nice if Sherman had these thoughts from the start but let's try not to lay into the guy too much for eventually doing the right thing.

As much as discussion on Facebook can suck, I have actually had some good conversations with people and been able to get through to more than one.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
If its worth anything, pretty much everyone in the UK is behind him (or at least most UK NFL fans and people that ive spoken to about it over here)

Just sucks i cant really do much to help from here

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

CyberPingu posted:

If its worth anything, pretty much everyone in the UK is behind him (or at least most UK NFL fans and people that ive spoken to about it over here)
Doesn't surprise me since America is an embarrassment of a country

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

sam bradford lmao posted:

Doesn't surprise me since America is an embarrassment of a country

Eh, the UK (well, England and Wales) voted to leave the EU which is one of our primary supports, based on a load of bullshit racist views...so yeah, we're not that great too

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

CyberPingu posted:

That's just Brits enjoying their own personal flavor of schadenfreude. The U.K. has nothing to be proud of in this area.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

CyberPingu posted:

Honestly, I'm not sure how much Kaepernick can do at this point.

The initial reaction to his protest, and his perfect response to that has set the stage for a whole lot of other public protest and attached a lot of very public personas to the police brutality problems that blacklivesmatter came into being over. Combine that with cops murdering black people on a pretty much daily basis and this could snowball out of control.

CyberPingu posted:

Eh, the UK (well, England and Wales) voted to leave the EU which is one of our primary supports, based on a load of bullshit racist views...so yeah, we're not that great too

Tinged with an incredible amount of classism compared to the US. UK racists hate the polish and other poor Eastern european immigrants almost a quarter as much as they hate Muslims, and that's a view almost unfathomable to the American bigot.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Michael Thomas wrote a piece for TIME magazine on why he chose not to stand for the anthem

https://twitter.com/time/status/778969621709938688

Proud of him :unsmith:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

MrSargent posted:

This is awesome. I am a little encouraged by the fact that his sitting/kneeling has really fueled debate and discussion on this issue of racial inequality and it seems to have some legs with more people taking part. Yah it would have been nice if Sherman had these thoughts from the start but let's try not to lay into the guy too much for eventually doing the right thing.

As much as discussion on Facebook can suck, I have actually had some good conversations with people and been able to get through to more than one.

I think a lot of people keyed in on the 9/11 demostrations, because ARE TROPPS, but are coming around now because... dude black people are being executed by cops like every fuckin' day.... Jesus!

CyberPingu posted:

Hell dude, we can't do much to help from here. WTF can we, as voters, do to change policing culture? Not a drat lot, I assure you.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 22, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

That's just Brits enjoying their own personal flavor of schadenfreude. The U.K. has nothing to be proud of in this area.

It's not that surprising that most Brits don't give a poo poo about "disrespecting the American Flag."

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Kalli posted:

Tinged with an incredible amount of classism compared to the US. UK racists hate the polish and other poor Eastern european immigrants almost a quarter as much as they hate Muslims, and that's a view almost unfathomable to the American bigot.

I think it really does help over here how differently the police are viewed, in Edinburgh at least, you can go up to an Officer and have a chat with him and they are more than happy to oblige. From what i have heard (speculation and could just be unlucky) that in the US you dont talk to cops unless they approach you and if they do you only say as much as you need to.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

CyberPingu posted:

I think it really does help over here how differently the police are viewed, in Edinburgh at least, you can go up to an Officer and have a chat with him and they are more than happy to oblige. From what i have heard (speculation and could just be unlucky) that in the US you dont talk to cops unless they approach you and if they do you only say as much as you need to.
The great majority of cops here a really good people. It's just a small minority that are awful.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

CyberPingu posted:

Yes. Everyone fears and respects cops. When confronted with cops, there are only 2 adequate/appropriate responses... to becoming completely compliant and police, or to begin immediately sucking their ego dicks.

Even white people, for the most part are respectful mostly because they're afraid of getting hassled.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

The great majority of cops here a really good people. It's just a small minority that are awful.

Yeah i figured that was the case. I also figure thats the case over here and that Edinburgh is just such a small city that you just dont see the problems that other cities have

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Legit love Kap so much for this. He's accomplishing exactly what he set out to do when he first started the protests back in August.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Being a firefighter/paramedic, I work closely with law enforcement. I have family that is law enforcement. I have many friends in law enforcement. The vast majority of police officers really are good dudes that try to do right so it is really concerning to me to see all this anti-cop rhetoric that is just gaining momentum. If people saw what these men and women go through on a shift by shift basis, it may change their views on police officers. There is a lot of lovely people out there, a loooooooooooooot of lovely people out there, and it's law enforcement who has to deal with them every shift of their careers...and my experience is only in the suburbs. Talking to the cops I know about large cities like Chicago where dozens of murders occur every day, they want nothing to do with it. Not that justifies any of these killings, there are still going to be shitheads who should never be allowed to wear a badge and a gun, but most cops are cool and good.

What doubly sucks is the more these shootings occur, the more public backlash there will be and the more good cops will be killed in the line of duty paying the crimes of their scumbag associates.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I wish good cops were more willing to step past the thin blue line

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Shath Hole posted:

Being a firefighter/paramedic, I work closely with law enforcement. I have family that is law enforcement. I have many friends in law enforcement. The vast majority of police officers really are good dudes that try to do right so it is really concerning to me to see all this anti-cop rhetoric that is just gaining momentum. If people saw what these men and women go through on a shift by shift basis, it may change their views on police officers. There is a lot of lovely people out there, a loooooooooooooot of lovely people out there, and it's law enforcement' who has to deal with them every shift of their careers...and my experience is only in the suburbs. Talking to the cops I know about large cities like Chicago where dozens of murders occur every day, they want nothing to do with it. Not that justifies any of these killings, there are still going to be shitheads who should never be allowed to wear a badge and a gun, but most cops are cool and good.

What doubly sucks is the more these shootings occur, the more public backlash there will be and the more good cops will be killed in the line of duty paying the crimes of their scumbag associates.

Personally i think it boils down to the systemic problems rather than a case to case basis.
Yeah the assholes are always going to be the loudest and there are most defintely more legit cops then dodgy ones, but the system they are all in definietly does not inspire confidence

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Shath I think the only way public perception will change on cops if they actually get punished for murdering people AND the police union stop being such babies

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shath Hole posted:

And yet very few to no good cops will actually oppose the awful ones. The blue wall of silence makes an awful lot of otherwise good cops awful. Leadership being unwilling to investigate, discipline and fire bad cops and prosecutors being unwilling to charge them leads to a culture of terrible policing.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

That would certainly help/be a good start

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Pron on VHS posted:

Metapod posted:

Shath I think the only way public perception will change on cops if they actually get punished for murdering people AND the police union stop being such babies

Kalli posted:

And yet very few to no good cops will actually oppose the awful ones. The blue wall of silence makes an awful lot of otherwise good cops awful. Leadership being unwilling to investigate, discipline and fire bad cops and prosecutors being unwilling to charge them leads to a culture of terrible policing.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Bluenonymous: a place for LEOs to come out in safety and speak about "those few bad apples" and corrupt leadership.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Something Blueful Forums

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Pron on VHS posted:

They are literally afraid for their lives if they do that. I have a few friends working at the Santa Clara County Jail, which is under investigation by the FBI for murdering a bunch of inmates because they're god drat psychopaths. Apparently if any officer breaks ranks with the rest, they will refuse to go to their aid when an alert happens on their block, i.e., leaving them at the mercy of the inmates they've been abusing for years. It's pretty hosed up, and really disturbing how easily most of them are sucked up into that hosed up mentality.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

CyberPingu posted:

Personally i think it boils down to the systemic problems rather than a case to case basis.
Yeah the assholes are always going to be the loudest and there are most defintely more legit cops then dodgy ones, but the system they are all in definietly does not inspire confidence

The system is broken, for sure. There is no ramifications for the officers who kill someone on duty...they get paid leave, go through a class, and either get put back on the street or pension out.

It's just get going to get worse too. The more civilian backlash, the more civilian shootings, it is just going to put cops on a higher level of nervousness and reactivity. I mean think about it, just try to put yourself in their shoes right now. Views on law enforcement have never been lower, cops are being shot at and killed so their sensitivity is through the roof that the job they do may not allow them to go home to their families at night. Fast forward to a domestic disturbance call, where the guy is already acting lovely, not listening to the police commands, and reaches for something in his waist...

I just have this feeling it's going to get so much worse for everyone :(

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Chichevache posted:

They are literally afraid for their lives if they do that. I have a few friends working at the Santa Clara County Jail, which is under investigation by the FBI for murdering a bunch of inmates because they're god drat psychopaths. Apparently if any officer breaks ranks with the rest, they will refuse to go to their aid when an alert happens on their block, i.e., leaving them at the mercy of the inmates they've been abusing for years. It's pretty hosed up, and really disturbing how easily most of them are sucked up into that hosed up mentality.
So literally just like a gang. Amazing.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Shath Hole posted:

The system is broken, for sure.

I just have this feeling it's going to get so much worse for everyone :(

Gotta hit bottom before you can bounce

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

It's a whole different world that most people don't see, I'm telling you. It's hosed up.

CyberPingu posted:

Gotta hit bottom before you can bounce

The unfortunate truth. A lot of blood is going to be shed before this gets any better :(

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Chilichimp posted:

Yes. Everyone fears and respects cops. When confronted with cops, there are only 2 adequate/appropriate responses... to becoming completely compliant and police, or to begin immediately sucking their ego dicks.

Even white people, for the most part are respectful mostly because they're afraid of getting hassled.

One thing that you don't have in the UK is the seemingly unconditional backing for law enforcement you get amongst a lot of Americans. While obviously some people like the police more than others you have much more ability to hold the police to account in the UK and criticize them when things go wrong, and that's even with things getting more authoritarian lately due to expanded police powers. I've had amiable chats with police officers at antifa rallies where anti police chants have been thrown by both sides, something that I don't think would go down too well in the US (though I might be mistaken).

Skwirl posted:

It's not that surprising that most Brits don't give a poo poo about "disrespecting the American Flag."

The constant presence of the flag is something else that UK people find strange as well though - someone openly flying the Union flag or god forbid a St George's flag is usually a pretty good giveaway that they're a ukipper or nationalist of some stripe.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

When someone acts out in the jail, prior to the FBI's investigation, the guards would mob him and beat the poo poo out of him. Each officer was only supposed to write what they did, so if your partner decides to drop kick a guy in the face, you don't add it to your report. Instead, you count on him to report what level of force he used (like when an officer broke an inmate's jaw with a fire extinguisher :smithicide:). Of course no one is going to write that they kicked a guy in the face while four other officers held him down. So instead of getting screened for head injury or anything else, they toss the broken person into solitary and check to see if they're alive in the morning.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaaha

Shath Hole posted:

It's a whole different world that most people don't see, I'm telling you. It's hosed up.

And the best part? A lot of the "scum" mellow the hell out if you drop the authority act and talk to them like a person.

Not that there aren't individuals who are irreparably broken.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ehud posted:

Michael Thomas wrote a piece for TIME magazine on why he chose not to stand for the anthem

https://twitter.com/time/status/778969621709938688

Proud of him :unsmith:

Great article, but I had a lol at the end when I came to this:

quote:

Correction: The original version of this story misstated where Michael Thomas plays football. He is a safety for the Miami Dolphins.

Good work, Time! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

MikeCrotch posted:

The constant presence of the flag is something else that UK people find strange as well though - someone openly flying the Union flag or god forbid a St George's flag is usually a pretty good giveaway that they're a ukipper or nationalist of some stripe.

loving this.

Also.
The Saltire is flown quite alot around Scotland. But then again this Country is going through some major nationalism right now.

• Locked thread