Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

*inserts copy of Pokemon Emerald into GameCube GBA player and dons raincoat*

You know, the third generation was when the series really came into its own, commercially and artistically.

ahah i suppose it is a little ridiculous to talk about a video game that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

is this loss

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

his new hat's logo looks like a power button

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
quote is not edit

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

HoneyBoy posted:

is this loss

it's lost about 6 championship tournaments

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Super No Vacancy posted:

pokemon: downhill ja,m

Pokemon Ja'am and Pokemon Shreck

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Just came across this, what is it from and is it canon?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I reject this.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

*inserts copy of Pokemon Emerald into GameCube GBA player and dons raincoat*

You know, the third generation was when the series really came into its own, commercially and artistically.

This

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Countblanc posted:

One time I yelled "Return!" and Lycanroc turned to me and said, "what if someone just stood in the middle of Celedon City and yelled 'return'? Maybe the Passimians in suits would forget their routine of going to Silph Co." My jaw hit the floor and it never really came back up. That's when I thought, is he getting in character to win a Coolness contest, or was the Coolness something that's been in him all along?

Sometimes I would go to look at one of the Pokeballs, and I noticed Lycanroc had put something in the ball. It was stuff like "what if Pokeballs were slavery? Would you battle a slave owner?" and "Fight. Bag. Insanity." I had to ask him to stop because I was getting too scared to train.

this was a while ago but this post made me laugh really hard

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Space T Rex posted:

It's just fanart.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Cubone's skull is actually fused to its face from tears, so that's definitely incorrect.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Yeah but this one is smiling, clearly a sociopath.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Space T Rex posted:

Yeah, just fanart
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/063/630/461.png

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

cubone has a nose like a cat or a bear

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I'm super interested in the "high level" VGC/Smogon talk on here because with S&M coming out and likely changing the competitive landscape a bit, it seems like a good jumping on point for getting into the VGC scene in some fashion

What do y'all who are higher tier players recommend as far as getting good goes? I've seen Nugget Bridge mentioned--is there a strats blog or anything to read up on? Is it basically net-decking at first to understand why the teams that are good are good and then applying those principles with your own spin?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

just watch all of aaron's road to ranked on youtube

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Waffles Inc. posted:

I'm super interested in the "high level" VGC/Smogon talk on here because with S&M coming out and likely changing the competitive landscape a bit, it seems like a good jumping on point for getting into the VGC scene in some fashion

What do y'all who are higher tier players recommend as far as getting good goes? I've seen Nugget Bridge mentioned--is there a strats blog or anything to read up on? Is it basically net-decking at first to understand why the teams that are good are good and then applying those principles with your own spin?

oddium posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?CybertronProductions

https://twitter.com/CybertronVGC

nugget bridge is good, sixprizes is mainly TGC but they have VGC stuff sometimes too

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

I still suck but what i have learned came from watching a lot of CybertronProductions youtube videos. Hes a good player and explains what his throught process is pretty well.

oddium posted:

Oh lol. Same.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Man what were they thinking when they made Omega Groudon/Kyogre essentially necessary for competitive play? Like they did it extremely intentionally but forcing people to use certain pokemon is such a bad design philosophy. If it wasn't intentional then they are hilariously and worryingly short sighted.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Space T Rex posted:

Man what were they thinking when they made Omega Groudon/Kyogre essentially necessary for competitive play? Like they did it extremely intentionally but forcing people to use certain pokemon is such a bad design philosophy. If it wasn't intentional then they are hilariously and worryingly short sighted.

pretty sure it was intentional, someone more familiar with the past few vgc cycles can probably talk about it but i heard some dudes at my local vgc meetup mention that they go through non-legendary > box legendary cycles every now and then

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Space T Rex posted:

Here's a really elementary question: is it their typing and stat distribution and movesets (plus the "free" Mega) that makes them must have?

Like, when starting team construction are abilities looked at first?

Abilities -> Typing -> Moveset?

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 22, 2016

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Waffles Inc. posted:

Here's a really elementary question: is it their typing and stat distribution and movesets (plus the "free" Mega) that makes them must have?

Yes. And don't forget their countering abilities.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Waffles Inc. posted:

the primal box legendaries get stupid abilities like desolate land which nullify water moves outright and can only be removed with the opposite primal weather ability, so you need either groudon or kyogre to cancel each other out. sunny day, hail, weaker weather effects etc will not work

also groudon gains fire typing in this form, normally he's just ground iirc

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Waffles Inc. posted:

when constructing a team, i usually look at typing and moves that complement each other and counter the popular builds

so for example, the previous cycle saw a lot of mega khans, right? so rocky helmet + rough skin (or a variation of rough skin) is a decent counter (i think i used ferrothorn switchins? its been a while). combine that with a chandelure that has flash fire to absorb the obvious fire moves and i can set up for sweeping

stuff like that

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

So are people like Cybertron and whatnot truly, genuinely, honestly training their Pokes 100,000% legit using only in-game mechanics or is it just easier to hack to get stats/abilities/moves that are completely obtainable in theory but just without the busywork?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Waffles Inc. posted:

So are people like Cybertron and whatnot truly, genuinely, honestly training their Pokes 100,000% legit using only in-game mechanics or is it just easier to hack to get stats/abilities/moves that are completely obtainable in theory but just without the busywork?

there's a hack check that is sadly incredibly easy to get around (a symbol on the mon stat page) to show if its legit or not

i've always done it legit or at the most, used hacked mons (5iv dittos, etc) to breed a legit mon, but its kind of a unspoken rule that if you have the symbol and you don't have anything weird (like, say, moon balls on mons that can't get into moonballs) you don't bring it up

however if you do run into a guy with very obviously hacked poo poo and can prove it, you can call a judge or w/e at a tournament and have them examine it

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
In Origins how was cubone wearing his mommy's skull before she even died

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Calaveron posted:

In Origins how was cubone wearing his mommy's skull before she even died

It's some other mom's skull.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I like the explanation that it's a cultural thing to wear the bones of ancestors, like respectfully.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'm happy that mega evolutions are here to stay. Suck it, nerds

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Redeye Flight posted:

I like the explanation that it's a cultural thing to wear the bones of ancestors, like respectfully.

Cubone is a dinosaur

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

They in particular are a must because they have super good abilities and the best (pretty much only) way to beat Groudon's ability is Kyogre, and the best way to beat Kyogre's is...Groudon. So a lot of teams actually run both which basically just is gamefreak giving everyone the middle finger and saying "everyone must build their teams around this poo poo now and pick 4 pokemon instead of 6"

As for how to construct a team, it depends. If your'e just playing for fun just make the best team you can with your favorite dudes, make sure you have answers for as much as you can. Popular megas, weather, stall teams, trick room, etc. Nothing will counter everything.

If you want to get really competitive you have to build your team based on the whole meta. So instead of "what do I want", now its "what is everyone else playing and what works best against those teams"? In that case it depends on the meta whether ability/typing/moveset is most important to consider first. In my opinion ability and moveset are almost always more important than typing though. Mostly moveset unless the ability is really synergistic to the team.

Waffles Inc. posted:

If you just wanna play, yeah hack them. Everyone does. If your'e an idiot like me make like 6 boxes of completely IV'd mons the old fashioned way for fun because for some reason that's a a good way to pass the time in your stupid idiot head, like me.

Oh but cybertron and a lot of the other guys either make/hack their own teams for tournaments. For their videos they often use borrowed teams or donated pokemon from fans.

Space T Rex fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 22, 2016

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Does stuff like Cloud Nine, Entrainment, Simple Beam, etc. work against the Primal weather bullshit?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Chill Penguin posted:

Does stuff like Cloud Nine, Entrainment, Simple Beam, etc. work against the Primal weather bullshit?

Yeah, it all does.

The only things they block that normal Sun/Rain doesn't is regular Sun/Rain/Hail/Sandstorm. Also they immediately end if the ability is changed or the pokemon with it faints or switches out.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
It's Golduck's time to shine

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

But aside from cloud nine, things like simple beam take a turn to use so they're less viable. And cloud Nine itself is pretty rare and only on bad guys as far as I know. So the Primals are still very much so the best counter to the Primals.

Space T Rex fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 22, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Space T Rex posted:

But aside from cloud nine, things like simple beam take a turn to use so they're less viable. And cloud Nine itself is pretty rare and only on bad guys as far as I know. So the Primals are still very mush so the best counter to the Primals.

Yeah, Cloud Nine is on Golduck, Lickilicki and Altaria (and M-Altaria doesn't have it) so its basically useless.

I guess Golduck could be a weird niche anti-Primal Groudon counter but its pretty bad in doubles and wastes one of your 4 pokemon slots in VGC so....

And no one outside of ORAS VGC is going to let you rock the Primals.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the much better alternative was air lock from rayquaza, who also got delta stream as mega ray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Eviolite Lickitung's time to shine :P

E: Lickitung can learn Dream Eater and Nightmare(via XD tutor) but no sleep-inducing moves...?

Chill Penguin fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 22, 2016