Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Worst isn't really a good way to think about it because the factors by which you're judging him as "bad," are clearly not bad to like 40% of the population.

Most personally disliked candidate in US history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I'd be willing to argue that Donald Trump isn't the worst person they've ever nominated because he's aggressively unelectable and an obvious conman. The worst people they've ever nominated were of similar disposition to Trump but actually capable of hiding it, like Reagan or Bush II.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hey, about the time that Trump came out and decided birtherism wasn't gonna work for him, there was a video of some discussion between a black guy and some white guy about it. The black dude made an awesome point something along the lines of 'either way, trump is in the wrong for waiting this long' but I can't find the video. It was not the thing where Don Lemon took everyone off the screen for a bit.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I can sort of understand the latter. But the gay black man?

Something in the primary just kinda made him snap. It's super weird.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

nutranurse posted:

I've been eyeing ad agencies in Washington for the longest time. You in Seattle? Is the Seattle Freeze real?

It's 100% a thing out. Bunch of introvert and distant cultures combined with influx of nerds who are socially awkward means it can be tough getting past the polite small talk phase. Just be personable and you can bust through it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oof, the Charlotte police chief's reasoning for not releasing the tape makes it sound pretty bad:

quote:

Putney also told reporters the video "does not give me absolute definitive visual evidence that would confirm that a person is pointing a gun" but that the evidence "taken in totality" supports the police version of events that led to the fatal shooting of Keith Lamont Scott.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/09/22/state-emergency-charlotte-protests-continue-second-night/90825016/

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Completely random question for the thread:

In the event that Trump loses and decides to declare mass election fraud against ol' Crooked Hillary, to what extent could his supporters jam up the normal election process? Like, in battleground states with deep red state and local governments, could sympathetic judges and elected officials continually throw a wrench in the works by demanding endless recounts and investigations on the basis of, say, Breitbart-fueled election fraud stories?

I have no idea if election laws could actually allow something like this to happen, but I'm sort of curious about what shenanigans we might potentially be in store for.

It will all be decided by the Supreme Court in the end resulting in a Constitutional crisis because the GOP has steadfastly refused fill the Court resulting in a Dem victory because Kennedy may be nuts but he usually does what's right when it matters.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I can sort of understand the latter. But the gay black man?

Hillary was one of the very last congressional Democrats to come around on gay marriage, and "superpredators" was absolutely a thing, so even if you're going to assume someone will always put identity before other political considerations (which is both lol and demeaning) there are still good reasons for a black gay dude to be extremely skeptical of HRC

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

nutranurse posted:

A REAL loving THING THAT HAPPENED AND SHE WAS FIRED OVER.

BTW DONT BUY ANY OF KERRYGOLD'S PRODUCTS.

...... what the motherfucking... bwuh... w-what... the poo poo rear end hell...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lightning Knight posted:

I'd be willing to argue that Donald Trump isn't the worst person they've ever nominated because he's aggressively unelectable and an obvious conman. The worst people they've ever nominated were of similar disposition to Trump but actually capable of hiding it, like Reagan or Bush II.

Thats why I said worst "candidate". It's very likely he would be a better president than either Reagan or W.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

:stare: arzy is rising again. :suicide:

Honestly in the current environment where white nationalism is being normalized as a legitimate ideology I consider Hillary winning and a narrow Republican lead in the Senate to be a win. :sigh:

I mean taking the Senate would be awesome but I'm not going to expect it or even count on it.

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005
The loving Irish butter company?!

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Worst isn't really a good way to think about it because the factors by which you're judging him as "bad," are clearly not bad to like 40% of the population.

He is relatively very unpopular among Republicans for a Republican presidential candidate. Don't underestimate the number of people supporting him simply because they are afraid of a Clinton presidency and are worried about the Supreme Court being liberalized.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kristov posted:

The loving Irish butter company?!

The Irish butter loving company?!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

mcmagic posted:

But that number, like Hillary's, isn't all that telling because of the partisan break down.

Like the theory that TRUMP IS SO BAD AND HILLARY SHOULD BE BLOWING HIM OUT OF THE WATER is flawed thinking because you're assuming that everyone has the same qualifying views as you do -- which they don't. Like before the primaries, this Republican field was widely considered to be one the deepest and "most talented" they'd every managed to assemble -- multiple governors or former governors, sitting senators, popular figures within in the party -- and they all lost to Trump. So while he might be widely unpopular with the public at-large, Republicans don't seem to have any trouble with him and the majority of voters are, essentially, that base anyway.

Barack Obama -- one of the greatest campaigners in the history of this country -- only won Florida by 1% in 2012.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

mcmagic posted:

Thats why I said worst "candidate". It's very likely he would be a better president than either Reagan or W.

Nah. A shitheel who can actually get elected is infinitely worse than one who can't.

Trump would be the same basic President as Ronald Reagan, a dude who just rubber stamps whatever dumb crazy conservative thing he thinks he can get away with. Trump is just a louder, more obnoxious version of the same song and dance they've been on about for decades.

Radish posted:

Honestly in the current environment where white nationalism is being normalized as a legitimate ideology I consider Hillary winning and a narrow Republican lead in the Senate to be a win. :sigh:

I mean taking the Senate would be awesome but I'm not going to expect it or even count on it.

Not taking the Senate would be a complete loss. We need the Supreme Court seat filled with somebody not poo poo before the midterms. If that doesn't happen it's almost a total waste.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

a foolish pianist posted:

Something in the primary just kinda made him snap. It's super weird.

I don't know how old your friend is, but the primaries were really upsetting to a lot of young voters who aren't used to the idea of having to vote for a candidate that doesn't resonate with them personally like Bernie Sanders did. They got it in theirs heads that she was "bad" when the primaries got kinda rough, and they can't shake that impression.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

mcmagic posted:

:lol:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Evil Fluffy posted:

Another thing to add to the lists of reasons why CNN should be burned to the ground and all its reporters fired in to the sun:

Constant use of the term 'civilians' when referring to police interactions.

For the love of god please please please have Clinton ask Trump about this at the debate. Make Trump declare he's willing to take (minority) people's guns away on national TV.

Hey citizen, you just don't know how hard it is for are troops cops out there. Every day is a war zone... In an instant... coffee... It's brutal, and unless if you've been out there and gotten your hands dirty every day with donut glaze, you have no right to complain about are boizzz in blue.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mcmagic posted:

In terms of party health he's fairly bad too but that's qualified with excluding one-off third parties and candidate-based parties (bull moose for example) but the amount of strain he's putting on the RNC with having them do so much of the infrastructure work can't be all that great for their ability to extend support downticket (which their donors are making up for to some degree, though there's an argument to be made that the GOP's big donor-beholden candidates are also wrecking the party from the inside out by making them so godawfully toxic) but it isn't like the RNC was a healthy organization before Trump or that it'll be dead afterwards.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my big question is where does the big red party go if trump loses? he turned every other republican candidate into a complete joke, then lost himself. Doesn't that kind of kill the idea of a traditional republican candidate?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Like he's easily the most unqualified person to ever be nominated for President by a major party in maybe the last 150 years, sure; but I think getting too much into the horse-race silly-stuff isn't really helpful.

Like okay, we all know this is part of McMagic's strange obsession with the idea there's some unicorn Democrat out there that could have beaten Hillary but the truth is that even if such an animal existed -- it doesn't -- they chose not to run and so there's literally no use in talking about it other than to bloviate endlessly about she's just not good enough for you or concern troll about, if only your unicorn had ran, we could be "taking the House and the Senate" or some such nonsense.

I understand people's unease with the idea of Trump becoming President and I understand that all of this tends to just be frustration with that manifesting in dumb ways, but calm down. If you're really and truely worried about the Orange Menace, then go volunteer for the campaign.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

But that number, like Hillary's, isn't all that telling because of the partisan break down.

Like the theory that TRUMP IS SO BAD AND HILLARY SHOULD BE BLOWING HIM OUT OF THE WATER is flawed thinking because you're assuming that everyone has the same qualifying views as you do -- which they don't. Like before the primaries, this Republican field was widely considered to be one the deepest and "most talented" they'd every managed to assemble -- multiple governors or former governors, sitting senators, popular figures within in the party -- and they all lost to Trump. So while he might be widely unpopular with the public at-large, Republicans don't seem to have any trouble with him and the majority of voters are, essentially, that base anyway.

Barack Obama -- one of the greatest campaigners in the history of this country -- only won Florida by 1% in 2012.

I'm not assuming everyone has the same views I do but the idea that Trump should be losing by much more than he actually is right now doesn't seem all that controversial. I mean he's not been over 41-43% in the polls even in the states he's doing well in.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

iospace posted:

Doing internet shows like that helps because of the millennials being spoiled brats this year.

I probably would've been more likely to vote for Obama a second time if he went on Between Two Ferns before the election.

AMorePerfctGoonion posted:

Johnson is really going after the single issue marijuana voters with his profound musings on the eventual fate of the Earth.

"My solution to global warming is to build a second Earth made of weed and put it in front of the real Earth, so when the sun envelopes us all we can at least be blazed as gently caress."

Apraxin posted:

...and in a shocking turn of events (genuinely for a Trump surrogate, I was expecting her to double down) she resigned and apologized for being 'inappropriate':

https://twitter.com/CandaceSmith_/status/778987696563875840/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

*Man in lab coat bursts into room* "The deplorables! They're becoming self-aware!"

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

You're comparing a couple of nasty thunderstorms to an extinction level event

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I'm not assuming everyone has the same views I do but the idea that Trump should be losing by much more than he actually is right now doesn't seem all that controversial. I mean he's not been over 41-43% in the polls even in the states he's doing well in.

But why does that matter? Like what purpose does this even serve? Absolutely none at all.

And again, you're making an assumption that because YOU personally (and the Commentariat does the same) view him as wildly unqualified that the majority of Americans would too, if only the Democrats had nominated some mythical creature as their candidate!

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 22, 2016

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

Endorph posted:

my big question is where does the big red party go if trump loses? he turned every other republican candidate into a complete joke, then lost himself. Doesn't that kind of kill the idea of a traditional republican candidate?

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for a knockdown, drag-out war between the pro-business and the pro-white nationalism factions of the party over who caused them to lose the election.

Hopefully they fracture.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Endorph posted:

These people literally believe Obama did 9/11, Katrina, and the stock market collapse. They won't have trouble bending over backwards to adjust their realities to a Cruz candidacy, or whatever dumb poo poo thin the Republicans try in four years.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Like okay, we all know this is part of McMagic's strange obsession with the idea there's some unicorn Democrat out there that could have beaten Hillary but the truth is that even if such an animal existed -- it doesn't -- they chose not to run and so there's literally no use in talking about it other than to bloviate endlessly about she's just not good enough for you or concern troll about, if only your unicorn had ran, we could be "taking the House and the Senate" or some such nonsense.

I mean, it's not "some unicorn Democrat," it's "I'm mad Bernie didn't win."

The point isn't that Trump would merely be as bad as Reagan or Bush II, the point is that Reagan and Bush II were as bad as Trump, they just had the ability to project a veneer of niceness and respectability about their horrific awfulness.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't know how old your friend is, but the primaries were really upsetting to a lot of young voters who aren't used to the idea of having to vote for a candidate that doesn't resonate with them personally like Bernie Sanders did. They got it in theirs heads that she was "bad" when the primaries got kinda rough, and they can't shake that impression.

This is probably it. I'm in my mid-30s (old enough to have voted for Nader, woo), and he's about 12 years younger than me.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I don't think you remember how truly horrific the Bush Administration was on every level.

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, it's not "some unicorn Democrat," it's "I'm mad Bernie didn't win."

No. I mean he's kinda right. But it's not a "unicorn," It's pretty much any other mainstream democratic politician without 30 years of oppo.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

UV_Catastrophe posted:

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for a knockdown, drag-out war between the pro-business and the pro-white nationalism factions of the party over who caused them to lose the election.

Hopefully they fracture.

It will be attributed to Trump being a RINO and "not conservative enough" and we'll have this whole song and dance again in 4 years.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

lozzle posted:

It will be attributed to Trump being a RINO and "not conservative enough" and we'll have this whole song and dance again in 4 years.

They are just going to say that Trump wasn't a conservative at all.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

This is probably it. I'm in my mid-30s (old enough to have voted for Nader, woo), and he's about 12 years younger than me.

Too young to remember how bad the Bush years were is also in play then. Sometimes you gotta see it happen to realize how much you need to work to avoid it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

lozzle posted:

With Ted Cruz leading the charge of the "We need a true conservative!" movement.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

But why does that matter? Like what purpose does this even serve? Absolutely none at all.

And again, you're making an assumption that because YOU personally (and the Commentariat does the same) view him as wildly unqualified that the majority of Americans would too, if only the Democrats had nominated some mythical creature as their candidate!

can we not get into this argument with mcmagic again

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I don't think you remember how truly horrific the Bush Administration was on every level.

Bush, at a very base level, had empathy and understanding of democratic norms. Trump has neither.

mcmagic posted:

No. I mean he's kinda right. But it's not a "unicorn," It's pretty much any other mainstream democratic politician without 30 years of oppo.

None of them thought they could win, so it's a pointless exercise.

theflyingorc posted:

can we not get into this argument with mcmagic again

I am actually trying to be nice to him here because his view is actually fairly widely held -- as I said the commentariat, largely thinks this too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

part of it then is also that he's just never been politically aware of a republican presidency. If he's, what, 22? Then he would have started actually caring about politics during one of Obama's presidencies. He wouldn't have had any grasp of what went on during Bush's presidencies, and even if he went back and read up on it, it doesn't have quite the same sting to it when it reads like history.

It's a lot easier to feel like you have room to quibble over which democrat candidate would have been better when you've never really realized what happens when your party loses outright.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Bush, at a very base level, had empathy and understanding of democratic norms. Trump has neither.

Trump would have to try REALLY hard to do as much damage to the country as the Bush administration did. His personal empathy is pretty meaningless.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Bush was a nice person who was willing to play an empty suit to the Republican Party to spite his dad, and brought with him what will go down in American history as one of the worst administrations we've ever seen and, hopefully, are likely to ever see again. Whether or not Ronald Regan or Bush II were personally as bad as Trump doesn't change that they were as Presidents about as equally horrific and terrible for the country and did massive long-term damage to our basic institutions.

Edit: which is to say, that the current Democratic campaign to make a nebulous "Trump is worse than normal Republicans, normal Republicans should bemoan what the party has done" is fine and good for political purposes, but it's bullshit and you shouldn't actually believe it personally. Donald Trump isn't special or particularly evil. He's just not pretending. He is what the Republican Party is and has been for generations and don't you ever forget that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Completely random question for the thread:

In the event that Trump loses and decides to declare mass election fraud against ol' Crooked Hillary, to what extent could his supporters jam up the normal election process? Like, in battleground states with deep red state and local governments, could sympathetic judges and elected officials continually throw a wrench in the works by demanding endless recounts and investigations on the basis of, say, Breitbart-fueled election fraud stories?

I have no idea if election laws could actually allow something like this to happen, but I'm sort of curious about what shenanigans we might potentially be in store for.

I think the 2000 election showed that you can't delay it for very long no matter the circumstances.

• Locked thread