Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Emilia Clarke was fine, it was Jai Courtney that really dropped the ball. His back-and-forth with Schwarzenegger was pretty massively one-sided. Still thought the movie was all right though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

seravid posted:

Of course she's not going to look or act like Hamilton's Sarah.

I definitely agree with that, which is why I threw out Emily Blunt as a good example of a middle ground that I think Clarke should have been going for.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Or a better idea:

Don't make the movie about the goddang Connors'.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

That's one way of looking at it, but its not really very consistently presented in the movie. She's constantly wearing tactical gear, and the first thing she does in the movie is bust through a wall with a truck, empty a pistol into a Terminator, and deliver a one-liner. I interpreted this version as being not quite as obsessive and paranoid as Hamilton's, but still extremely competent and serious about doing what needs to be done to protect the future.

I think at the very least we're supposed to think she's probably been put through some pretty intense training by Pops right?

Well, that's exactly it, she's so prepped for Terminators that it's actually not that much work for her to kill them. She's got her armor penetrating rifle, which while it takes skill to use, doesn't require significant physical strength or endurance. She's got her kill room with acid in the ceiling, so she doesn't need to run very far from a T-1000. And she doesn't think she needs to be ready for the unexpected, because she thinks Pops knows what's coming.

Yeah, she's been trained. She's very good at driving and shooting. And I'm sure she's in good shape. But she's never shown having lived the sort of life that flenses the fat from your body. She's prepped, but she's never lived a hard life. I was dubious about her casting beforehand, but casting someone who hasn't seemed to have quite lost their baby fat turns out to have been perfect.

CelticPredator posted:

Or a better idea:

Don't make the movie about the goddang Connors'.

The characters are Connors in nearly name only. Like, "John Connor" is a shapeshifting robot. "Sarah Connor," as people are complaining about, is very different than what came before.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Halloween Jack posted:

I know a professor who teaches a class on superheroes, a large component of which is watching DC and Marvel films. She says that the biggest problem in her class is that it's often difficult to get students to engage in any criticism at all--because, and I quote "People watch these movies because they think nothing is required of them."

I've been wanting to pull this comment out of my rear end for a while, but the long story short is that I think historically from just about every direction, from audiences to to critics to the actual people making the films, comic book movies were not seen as serious film to be looked at too deeply, they were seen as the ultimate commercial movie. Even kids/family movies and cartoons might get some eventual historical significance or analysis of what the movie was REALLY about, but comic book movies hardly got that until around the time of Ang Lee's Hulk. I don't think it really finally exploded until around the summer of 2008 with TDK, Iron Man, Hulk and impending shared MCU.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Basebf555 posted:

I definitely agree with that, which is why I threw out Emily Blunt as a good example of a middle ground that I think Clarke should have been going for.

Edge of Tomorrow's Emily Blunt isn't a middle ground, though, dang. I suppose doing an elbow lever instead of a planche could cost her a few points.

Regarding Clarke: right from the start (sniper scene), she acted convincingly enough for me to believe she was (a version of) Sarah Connor, even without striated deltoids.

seravid fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 22, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

seravid posted:

Edge of Tomorrow's Emily Blunt isn't a middle ground, though, dang. I suppose doing an elbow lever instead of a planche could cost her a few points.

We're comparing her to Linda Hamilton in T2 remember, not us normal humans.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, she's been trained. She's very good at driving and shooting. And I'm sure she's in good shape. But she's never shown having lived the sort of life that flenses the fat from your body. She's prepped, but she's never lived a hard life. I was dubious about her casting beforehand, but casting someone who hasn't seemed to have quite lost their baby fat turns out to have been perfect.

In the same way, Jai Courtney's version of Kyle Reese doesn't have PSTD. John Connor's tactics have become so refined, through repeated time-loops, that they win the war rather easily. Reese hasn't suffered much hardship either.

The point of the film is that the characters have all become complacent - stuck in their ways, going through the motions. So, even though they have the same names and clothes as the resistance heroes from 1984, they've subtly morphed into the bad guys: servants of a liberal billionaire tech CEO.

It is a Captain America analogy.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Plus the self defense angle with Skynet who is doing what it can to survive is also shown more personified by being a child and aging rapidly due to stress while the heroes visibly try to kill it and it hasn't done anything yet or gone online. Remind me, was effort being made to reason with it so much as in all iterations it's noted it acts in self defense? Terminator John is shown clearly trying to reason with the heroes.

Like T1 and T2 is after the fact that Skynet has sent back Terminators to prevent its death and it is far from Judgement Day so it's about survival. But now you are at Judgement Day when Skynet goes online and all everyone's doing is trying to kill it immediately. It's kind of tragic. So an ending proposed where Skynet is attempting to build a society of humans in peace even if ruling may be indications it's trying to find redemption for an outburst or what if some hero is sent back and gives Skynet a lolipop and a hug when it's sentient?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I believe James Cameron has been on record saying that Skynet believes its early actions against humanity was a mistake, but one done in self defense. It would make total sense that Skynet is trying to rig things up so that it can finally coexist with humanity.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

I know what Linda Hamilton did was a little extreme

:ohdear: She got in shape enough to show tone, and was capable of pull-ups :ohdear:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Pocket Sarah Connor

I love this so much!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

cvnvcnv posted:

:ohdear: She got in shape enough to show tone, and was capable of pull-ups :ohdear:

Well that's the understatement of the century. She's absolutely ripped.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Detective No. 27 posted:

"You're innocent Joker. Now enjoy your newfound freedom."
"Thanks, Batsy!"

*Batman turns around, pleased that justice has been done and unaware of the "kick me!" sign taped to his cape.*

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Halloween Jack posted:

The third reason is that the No Kill Rule is the centerpiece of the dumbest loving Batman stories ever written. Some tedious story where Batman gets self-righteous with one of his proteges because they were going to kill a mass murderer in the heat of battle, or another tedious story where Batman wrestles with his pathological inability to kill the Joker. All these stories do is throw in your face that the reason Batman & Friends don't kill villains is because those villains are valuable pieces of intellectual property. Imagine if, every time a given Avenger isn't in a given movie for production reasons, the plot of the film made a point of it and treated it with deadly moralistic seriousness, how they let them down or whatever. The audience would get sick of it.

How can these stories and ideas be tedious if they have yet to be properly explored? I and many other people love these stories. Under the Red Hood for instance. The Killing Joke. Although I'm sure there's about a hundred people about to tell me that those comics are garbage.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 22, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Gatts posted:

Like T1 and T2 is after the fact that Skynet has sent back Terminators to prevent its death and it is far from Judgement Day so it's about survival. But now you are at Judgement Day when Skynet goes online and all everyone's doing is trying to kill it immediately. It's kind of tragic. So an ending proposed where Skynet is attempting to build a society of humans in peace even if ruling may be indications it's trying to find redemption for an outburst or what if some hero is sent back and gives Skynet a lolipop and a hug when it's sentient?

An exploration of this is exactly what I wanted out of the sequel we'll sadly never get. Genisys has Kyle Reese in a pretty murky place. Given that the future can change, and that the Skynet being birthed is not the original Skynet at all, all they have is the possibility that it will try to burn down the whole planet. But if there's even a one-percent chance...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

How can these stories and ideas be tedious if they have yet to be properly explored? I and many other people love these stories.
They can't be "properly" explored without either putting the focus on the meta-narrative (Batman and Joker won't kill each other because they exist to make money for Time Warner Inc.) or making Batman into an unrelatable monster (his rivalry with the Joker is an insane game with no regard for the impact on mere human beings).

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Halloween Jack posted:

They can't be "properly" explored without either putting the focus on the meta-narrative (Batman and Joker won't kill each other because they exist to make money for Time Warner Inc.) or making Batman into an unrelatable monster (his rivalry with the Joker is an insane game with no regard for the impact on mere human beings).

Neither of those stories may be published, but I'd absolutely read them both.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The first has been written more than once, for sure.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Batmans no kill policy started in like 1940 or some poo poo when Bob Kane's publisher decided that heroes shouldn't kill people. I'm on a phone so I don't feel like grabbing a link but it was discussed in the Making of Mask of the Phantasm. You are displaying a total lack of imagination to say that there is simply no way to do no kill stories well

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 22, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think everyone forgets the comma. It's actually a "No, kill rule"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Works on contingency?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think everyone forgets the comma. It's actually a "No, kill rule"

I thought it was no kill rule like there shouldn't be a rule on killing. Do whatever!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Works on contingency?

I thought that was so over the top when I first saw it, but now that I work for a law firm I've seen that its really not all that far-fetched. They throw around terms like "free consult", but its just semantics, if you want a legit meeting with an attorney you're gonna pay.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Batmans no kill policy started in like 1940 or some poo poo when Bob Kane's publisher decided that heroes shouldn't kill people. I'm on a phone so I don't feel like grabbing a link but it was discussed in the Making of Mask of the Phantasm. You are displaying a total lack of imagination to say that there is simply no way to do no kill stories well
Kane's publisher, Harry Donenfeld, had run into a lot of trouble with censors with his horror and softcore erotica pulp magazines. Now that he hit it big with Superman and Batman, he wasn't going to let such problems get in the way of his money, so he focus squarely on the kiddie audience.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

He started no killing because Robin, his youthful sidekick, was introduced and then kept on the roster. As well as pressure from socially aware people complaining about the violence of this comic and nudity and weird poo poo from other comics. Not killing was an appeasement to capitalism that they then worked into the stories.

Him not killing was also the best way to maintain stories over time. Otherwise you get poo poo like Hitler Joker, or Duala Dent.

There are great ways to do no kill stories, I mean, especially for detectives - True Detective on HBO only had their heroes kill an incredibly low-level antagonist or two, and the more powerful members of the occult were too hidden away to even be approached, much less caught. The Killing Joke showed a side of Batman that demonstrated his willingness to kill as a last resort, but his desires were superseded by Jim Gordon's constant influence beating him over the head to NOT kill Joker.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 22, 2016

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Schwarzwald posted:

Neither of those stories may be published, but I'd absolutely read them both.
You can interpret the last few pages of Azzarello's Joker that way, though there's really no reason to find Batman at fault that I can remember.

Drifter posted:

He started no killing because Robin, his youthful sidekick, was introduced and then kept on the roster. As well as pressure from socially aware people complaining about the violence of this comic and nudity and weird poo poo from other comics. Not killing was an appeasement to capitalism that they then worked into the stories.
Batman was this close to having a No Homo, Ever! rule.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Drifter posted:

This is not true because Superman was also subject to the same prohibition yet he had no sidekick.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kurzon posted:

This is not true because Superman was also subject to the same prohibition yet he had no sidekick.

What about Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen (rip)?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Kurzon posted:

I believe Ellsworth handed down the same decree to all the books he edited, which was most of the flagship titles. Batman may have been flagged earlier than the rest, and the creators sent a stern memo after the storyline with Hugo Strange's monster men (which was before Robin's introduction). But I don't remember exactly.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kurzon posted:

Your problem here, Kurzon, is that you seem to be responding without actually understanding what people are talking about. Take a minute, re-read the last few posts, and critically think for a moment.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Nah, I said you repeated a dumb meme, if you made actual arguments in the past it doesn't change that.

Because a criticism is popular, it does not make it no longer valid. Darth Vader's "NOOOOOO" is popularly criticized, and became a meme as well. This does not change the fact that it's still terrible.

Halloween Jack posted:

Yes, this is the problem. Some pages ago (I can't find it now), someone posited No Kill Batman as an audaciously hopeful answer to a Batman who reconciles himself to killing. But that's not a moral vision, it's a fantasy of being studiously moral while enjoying the exploits of a violent vigilante.

The second, related problem with the "No Kill Rule" is that, as SMG eloquently pointed out, grown-ups don't talk about "No Kill Rules", they talk about concepts like justifiable use of force. I think it's great that we, as an audience, are seriously critiquing the values of superhero films, but it should be obvious that a "No Killing Ever (But Sadistic Maiming in Pursuit of Multiple Felonies is Okay)" is a deeply weird morality that is utterly tone-deaf to real concerns about violence, police brutality, vigilantism, race and class, and so on, as K. Waste pointed out in his post about BLM and use of force.

The third reason is that the No Kill Rule is the centerpiece of the dumbest loving Batman stories ever written. Some tedious story where Batman gets self-righteous with one of his proteges because they were going to kill a mass murderer in the heat of battle, or another tedious story where Batman wrestles with his pathological inability to kill the Joker. All these stories do is throw in your face that the reason Batman & Friends don't kill villains is because those villains are valuable pieces of intellectual property. Imagine if, every time a given Avenger isn't in a given movie for production reasons, the plot of the film made a point of it and treated it with deadly moralistic seriousness, how they let them down or whatever. The audience would get sick of it.

Your first and second point there are interesting, but sadly mistaken. A Batman story where Batman kills that deals with real consequences of violence and concerns about police brutality, vigilantism, race and class sounds like something that could be truly compelling.

But that's not Batman v. Superman though.

Let's use the above example; that Arkham City is a flawed work because it shows the trappings of violence but not the consequences as no one dies. By contrast Grand Theft Auto has similar vehicular mayhem but with lots of violence and death. So I guess that means it's a mature work. Well, no it isn't. nor is it interested in what violence means, or entails. Neither Grand Theft Auto or Arkham City are interested in dealing with consequences of violence, they are both power fantasies that give you the power to cause lethal and non-lethal mayhem righteously or not (and no, the police chasing you and if they catch/kill you, your weapons are lost, does not qualify as a thoughtful examination of violence )

Your mistake here is that your seeing violence, mayhem and death as the sole measure of whether something qualifies as mature or not. I disagree, I feel that the way a film tells its story, communicates ideas and contextualizes its influences and source material, all through the use of cinematic language is how one measures maturity in a work. Although it must be said, both Batman and Superman are children's comic book characters, or at least originated that way, so maybe a little immaturity and childish fun isn't so terrible?

Swinging back to Batman v Superman; its functional problem is, and I've spoken on this before, is that the Batman (and Superman) killing, doesn't communicate anything than the power fantasy aspects which means it is a symptom not the cause, of the films entirely flawed approach, which is one-note indulgence to the viewer tied together with bad plotting. Snyder's innate gift with cinematic immediacy supercedes the wider themes of the work, which are either thinly sketched, absent or curiously mean-spirited. There are so many scenes that I could point to and say "That's a great scene" because it is viscerally thrilling or exciting, but they do not add up to any sort of cohesive whole or meaning, because the story scenes are really only there to piston the film to the next "cool" moment, it's a specious work that looks slick and gives the surface level illusion of thematic depth by featuring a lot of people on TV's saying "What does Superman mean?" but never really tackles this question meaningfully. Basically, Batman v Superman is a jar of piss, and you're telling me it's Granny's Peach Tea.

Your third point can easily be reversed and pointed at Batman v Superman as well. Like it or not, Batman and Superman are pieces of intellectual property and to pretend that BvS is somehow free from the concerns of satisfying the marketplace is generous to say the least. What, you think incoherently mashing together The Dark Knight Returns and Death of Superman has nothing to do with the fact that those comics were bestsellers? The Death of Superman isn't even particularly regarded as a good story, more of a savvy media event. Also, perhaps Batman has a no kill rule to explain the fact that Joker can return for market reasons, but at least that's a reason, there is NO reason why DCEU Batman shouldn't have wasted the Joker long ago. Why does helpless hanging-by-his-leg man face lethal justice - and yes, it's murder, the moment before he kicks him Batman uses a batarang to subdue an enemy from afar, so he could do that with grenade guy as well, but the filmmakers show that Batman kicks the dude, communicating that he did it maliciously - but clown man who kills spuriously, and killed his partner, gets nothing?

This isn't about "NOT MY BATMAN", if this was the first Batman thing ever, and he was just an invented for the screen villain for the Man of Steel sequel then it still wouldn't work, because the character as presented is a one-note mess of indulgences and nothingness, I'm not bothered about the Man of Steel neck breakage because even though it's arguably NOT MY SUPERMAN because that neck breakage was interesting in the terms of that narrative as it was about Superman severing a part of himself, it was compelling, and maybe necessary for that story, so though not the one I grew up with, was good. BvS is not good. It is bad.

Halloween Jack posted:

I agree, some people in this thread are extremely defensive about BvS.

It was a cheeky joke, maybe you (AND Batman vs Superman for that matter) should cheer up.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Karloff posted:

Your mistake here is that your seeing violence, mayhem and death as the sole measure of whether something qualifies as mature or not.
Nope. Wrong. Do not pass Go, do not collect 200 Riddler trophies.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

As usual, if you remove the parts of your post that truly boil down to "it's just bad," it would be about 10% as long.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Nice casual racism, fucktard.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Nope. Wrong. Do not pass Go, do not collect 200 Riddler trophies.

Well, thank you for your quick response and your time it took to read it.

Martman posted:

As usual, if you remove the parts of your post that truly boil down to "it's just bad," it would be about 10% as long.

I dunno, I think I went into quite a bit of detail. But it is bad.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Martman posted:

Right? He uses a lot of words to describe next to nothing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Drifter is Asian

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
:laugh:

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Nice casual ableism, neighbor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Batman shouldn't waste his time with martial arts anymore. Just give him a gun and some grenades. He'll be like an 80's action hero. Think Arnie in Commando!

• Locked thread