Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cojawfee posted:

The best part of voyager is that during the big lead up to the finale, they throw in one last filler episode

Would you expect anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Train Surgeon
Jan 14, 2012
I remember that night on the BBC.
TNG was wednesdays, DS9 thursdays (after Buffy) , and Caretaker aired after several 30th anniversary specials. (so somewhere in 1996.... I'm old).
I had it on a VHS tape for a long long time, and it had at least a documentary type thing about it's cultural impact, and a shorter half-hour Trek parodies compilation I believe.

Maybe it's on Youtube somwhere?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I remember in the lead up for Voyager they had little interviews with celebs talking about what they were excited about. I don't even know if I'm remembering right but the only one I remember was Danny DeVito excitedly talking about how he was very interested in the concept of the bio-gel packs being used for computers.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really want to see Damny DeVito as a Tellarite in the new show. Or the franchise's shortest Andorian.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
They'd probably cast him as a Ferengi and you know it.

:-\

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They'd make him some sort of space troll that demanded a toll to pass through his sector.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Danny DeVito would make an excellent Q.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pakled posted:

But instead of appearing in a flash this is how he'd teleport in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7T0soHRk-A

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Pakled posted:

Danny Devito is Picard, Glenn Howerton is Riker, Rob McElhenney is Worf, Charlie Day is Geordi, Kaitlin Olsen is Troi.

The Gang Violates the Prime Directive

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Danny Devito is Picard, Glenn Howerton is Riker, Rob McElhenney is Worf, Charlie Day is Geordi, Kaitlin Olsen is Troi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yylr7fFt4VA

Edit: I was going to say that Geordi isn't enough of a gross weirdo to be Charlie, but then I remembered.... :stalker:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Lord Hydronium posted:

"Worf, your problem is you're just working out your honor muscles."

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

CobiWann posted:

"Worf, your problem is you're just working out your honor muscles."

It would also explain why Worf gets wrecked all the time despite being a supposed badass.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Lord Hydronium posted:

I'm thinking Charlie Day as O'Brien.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
On the topic of "overacting," I get annoyed when people complain of Brooks's performance in "Far Beyond The Stars" as overacting. My rebuttal is, "did it make you uncomfortable? Good."

As everyone says, DS9 is such a good show :allears: I could rewatch it forever.

when I was 8-10 I totally idolized Captain Janeway. (I was born in 1989 so I was the right age to enjoy Voyager as it aired while not being able to see most of its flaws.) about halfway through Voyager my family moved somewhere that didn't get UPN so I never saw seasons 5-7. to this day I haven't revisited Voyager because I have heard it was so bad and it depresses me to know that my childhood hero was actually either dumb and arbitrary or bipolar. Maybe some day, but it just seems like it'd be an even more depressing viewing session than everyone else experiences.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Pakled posted:

I'm thinking Charlie Day as O'Brien.

Hmm. Let me see...

"We don't need to purge the transporter buffers. That is O'Brien work."

~or~

"O'Brien got trapped in a mind prison again. Let's do something nice for him and get him a new Cardassian Rat-killing stick."

Yep, checks out.

Xibanya posted:

On the topic of "overacting," I get annoyed when people complain of Brooks's performance in "Far Beyond The Stars" as overacting. My rebuttal is, "did it make you uncomfortable? Good."

As everyone says, DS9 is such a good show :allears: I could rewatch it forever.

This person knows what's up. :respek:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

showbiz_liz posted:

I've been thinking of going through and watching the Voyager episodes he worked on, to see if I can get more of a feel for how he writes Star Trek, but there are like 20 of them, and that's a LOT of Voyager...

In the Nerdist interview, he complained about being the junior writer and having his scripts heavily worked over before they made it to production. So, I don't know how much of his work actually made it to screen intact. Here's Ronald D. Moore from that same two-decade-old interview we're always quoting:

A bitter man posted:

What I found on VOYAGER was suddenly it wasn’t about the work anymore. It wasn’t about making the best show that we possibly could; it was about all these other extraneous issues. It was about the politics of the show, and the strange sort of competition of egos within the writing staff and the producing staff and the management of the show. ‘Competition’ is probably a misleading term. The politics of the show were such that the egos of the people in charge of the series were threatened by the people who worked for them. To be blunt, [writers] Bryan Fuller and Mike Taylor were treated very shabbily, and it pissed me off. They took a lot of crap, and the only reason it was done was to keep the guys on the top of the pyramid feeling good about themselves. It also had the effect of keeping the writing staff from working in concert as a group. The DS9 staff by contrast was very tight.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CobiWann posted:

Question - how many people, even knowing the shows lacked consistent quality, watched Voyager and Enterprise from beginning to end?

I would have but I lost track of Enterprise during a moving / big changes / no TV time in my life.

I've watched every series several times. There are likely some season 3 TOS eps I've seen only once. I have seen most of TAS only once.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm still on season 1 of enterprise but I'm mostly enjoying it. I mean I keep wanting to watch more, so I guess I'm liking it? Maybe I've just got a huge pent up need for trek?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Xibanya posted:

I'm gonna annoy you then, because it was hammy overacting and he chewed the hell out of the scenery. I don't really find the scene uncomfortable so much as I find it an unintentionally funny end to an otherwise great episode.

...but Star Trek and hammy overacting are things that go hand in hand. I mean... you know, the original show starred BILL loving SHATNER. Avery Brooks is somewhat Shatnerian in his delivery, especially in how they often both... pause... between words so that... so that... the proper EMPHASIS gets... emphasized.

I'm not complaining about this though, mind you. I find it kind of endearing. He's definitely the most underrated Captain.

Once I had a dream that I met Avery Brooks in a general store and geeked out.

I've never actually been to any Star Trek cons or met any actors, but if I did, I'd want to meet some DS9 people because 1) I like the show and 2) it's way less popular than TOS and TNG and I could actually probably afford their autographs. I love Patrick Stewart the very best, but he is such an enormous celebrity, getting a chance to meet him would be really difficult.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Lord Hydronium posted:

"Your chief of security just put himself to sleep."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd so much rather sit down and chat with Brooks or Visitor than P-Stew. He'd just want to talk about hardware stores or his child bride or how cool the dune buggy scene in Nemesis was. I don't think he gives much of a poo poo about trek at all anymore, but the DS9 cast seems a lot more proud of what they made. There's also a billion interviews with Patrick but I feel like there's way more interesting nuggets about DS9 to enjoy from its cast.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I'd so much rather sit down and chat with Brooks or Visitor than P-Stew. He'd just want to talk about hardware stores or his child bride or how cool the dune buggy scene in Nemesis was. I don't think he gives much of a poo poo about trek at all anymore, but the DS9 cast seems a lot more proud of what they made. There's also a billion interviews with Patrick but I feel like there's way more interesting nuggets about DS9 to enjoy from its cast.

Yeah. Plus, I just feel like Brooks or Visitor would be way more approachable than someone like Patrick Stewart or especially Bill Shatner. Because after all, Patrick Stewart is one of the few Trek actors to be a huge star outside of Star Trek, and Bill Shatner... well... he has a reputation for being Bill Shatner. Whoopi Goldburg and LeVar Burton had pretty successful careers before they were ever on Star Trek, although LaVar seems like he's a nice guy. He has a nice, soft voice, good for reading stories. Johnathan Frakes and Michael Dorn appear to be pretty down-to-earth, too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Brent Spiner is fairly nice but a little weird. Avery Brooks is either totally silent or booming about something with that incredible voice of his. I got all of 45 seconds with Stewart but he was the nicest man and shook my hand.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Railing Kill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yylr7fFt4VA

Edit: I was going to say that Geordi isn't enough of a gross weirdo to be Charlie, but then I remembered.... :stalker:

This episode always confused me. On what basis does the Enterprise crew have for just going down to a random planet they just discovered? Is it warp capable? And how is it not more of a violation of the Prime Directive to try and convince them to change their law instead of just leaving?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I keep thinking that I should go to a Star Trek con at some point so I can meet at least a couple actors before they're all dead. I think Shatner, Takei, Nichols and Koeing are the only TOS people still alive. That's kinda depressing. If I ever want to meet one of them, I better do it soon.

I almost went to a show 2 hours away and was willing to pay $80 for a Bill Shatner autograph, but I ultimately didn't do it because I was lazy, slept in and by the time I woke up it wouldn't have been worth the trip.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
- I paid $80 for a Shatner autograph earlier this year, but only because it was for my dad. Shat was nice, but it's hard to gently caress up a conversation in the ten seconds you're face to face.
- Rene Auberjonois was fantastic, we chatted about the local theater and his Texas relatives for five minutes while he doodled an Odo bucket for me.
- Michael Dorn was cordial but obviously irritated about something else going on (probably the fact that the Con had bounced all of the guest's paychecks).
- I met Walter Koenig at a different con this year and he was super nice. We had just a quick conversation, but he chatted about Renegades with the guy in front of me for 5-6 minutes. Seemed genuinely enthusiastic about it.

Apparently I met George Takei as a toddler but I have no memory of it. Just a personalized copy of his autobiography.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 22, 2016

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Cons are weird. Actors expect certain questions and requests, and it makes them completely hosed to get something beyond the usual bullshit. So if you ever get to meet some Trek celeb, ask the, like, fifth question that comes to mind to get a more honest answer.

Also, please don't grope any cosplayers.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Not sure how you can say that Brooks is overacting at the end of Far Beyond The Stars, given that he is portraying a man utterly breaking down and exposing his deepest, most irrational convictions and beliefs to an uncaring world that will only use it as an excuse to destroy his miserable life.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

- I met Walter Koenig at a different con this year and he was super nice. We had just a quick conversation, but he chatted about Renegades with the guy in front of me for 5-6 minutes. Seemed genuinely enthusiastic about it.

Koenig is a lot like Ernie Hudson in that he's just delighted to go somewhere, get a little money and actually interact with people. (Granted, Hudson does it for the paycheck, while Koenig does it because he's been in the mother of all funks since his son died. :smith:)

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Honestly, if I met any Star Trek actors, the last thing I'd probably want to talk to them about is Star Trek, because I figure they get enough of that, already. Just try and treat them as any other person. Of course, I say that, but I would probably get super starstruck and utterly paralyzed by it.

skasion posted:

Not sure how you can say that Brooks is overacting at the end of Far Beyond The Stars, given that he is portraying a man utterly breaking down and exposing his deepest, most irrational convictions and beliefs to an uncaring world that will only use it as an excuse to destroy his miserable life.

Well, when you put it that way....

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
When I only have a little time with a celeb (which is normal at a con) my go to is to thank them for all the joy they've brought into my life because of their performance, get a nice handshake, compliment them on recent work if applicable and then smile and leave before it gets awkward.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Just noticed we get to see two more Defiant-class ships in "Message in a Bottle." It's a nice touch.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well, when you put it that way....

I mean, I'm being a bit tongue in cheek but I do think he needs to play the scene with as much emotional intensity as possible there, even at the risk of looking a bit silly. The situation calls for a Shatneresque freakout.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I haven't met any Trek people yet, but a couple years ago I got a hug out of Maurice LaMarche at Rose City Comic Con.

Zurui posted:

Just noticed we get to see two more Defiant-class ships in "Message in a Bottle." It's a nice touch.

It really is, I appreciated that too.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

WickedHate posted:

This episode always confused me. On what basis does the Enterprise crew have for just going down to a random planet they just discovered? Is it warp capable? And how is it not more of a violation of the Prime Directive to try and convince them to change their law instead of just leaving?

Honestly, the weirdest part of that episode is that they were treating this nice grassy planet with all its pretty jogging aryans as a glorified club med despite not knowing anything about them or their customs. How is that not a violation of the Prime Directive? Besides, even if they didn't have a rule explicitly against that sort of thing, who lets a teenager run around unsupervised on an alien planet? Picard should have been court martialed for that poo poo. It's especially funny because this was the episode about the Prime Directive, but they seem to be rewriting it every five minutes and can't even grasp its most basic implications. It made it blatantly obvious that the Prime Directive was just a lame way of manufacturing fake crises and, frankly, if they'd never mentioned it again, I think the series would have been better off.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Zurui posted:

It's a really fun episode but by god that multi-vector poo poo is dumb. Also when that episode came out weren't the Romulans in the alliance against the dominion at that point?

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

It's a really fun episode but by god that multi-vector poo poo is dumb. Also when that episode came out weren't the Romulans in the alliance against the dominion at that point?

I love the Prometheus for all the wrong reasons but even I can't defend the MVAM.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Also here's over nine minutes of 47s in Voyager.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPoiH0JlQ9A

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Baronjutter posted:

It's specifically pointed out that it's before the Romulans enter the war. I had a chuckle at "The Dominion? The who?"

Everyone says that Voyager doesn't do multi-episode arcs and yet here I am in season 4 and we're inside a four-parter about the Predators Hirogen. I'm not trying to say it's good but they definitely experimented with longer plotlines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Baronjutter posted:

I don't think so, I think it takes place before In the Pale Moonlight. Or at least it was meant to, though clearly Voyager and DS9 staff were in worlds of their own long before then.