Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HMS Boromir posted:

Doesn't feel at all like World of Tanks to me, but that might be because I was absolute garbage at World of Tanks. BLC/BR is its own beast, like a team-based twin stick shooter merged with a fighting game. If there was justice in the world we'd have a term for it due to it being wildly successful and copied by a bunch of studios.

Well WoT/WoWS is just a comparison in that there's no creeps, or towers, and its just team vs team fighting. WoT/WoWS are slower paced sure, but its still closer to Battlerite in general mechanics and focus than Dota or Leaue would be.

If you every played Secret Ponchos, that's also a good comparable game (and its fun). I also have used that as a comparison since a few of my friends have that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Unfunny Poster posted:

If you every played Secret Ponchos, that's also a good comparable game (and its fun). I also have used that as a comparison since a few of my friends have that game.

Oh, so that's where the name of Pomp's 25 damage soul bolt battlerite comes from!

I made a joke early in the beta that new Pomp is a rejected Souls series level up maiden, then days later I noticed her improved soul bind damage battlerite is straight up called "Dark Souls", so that may honest to goodness have been the concept behind her accent.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

abardam posted:

Rook: how do I not die as him, after running in and blowing my counter? I keep getting ripped to shreds with no way to disengage, really.

Throw rocks at idiots until you hit one, or wait for them to try and engage on your partner, then stun that guy and battle it out from there. Once you get one bar of energy and if you have a healer not healing you and your health isn't equal to the healing breakpoint, use your EX1 to get some health back. You really shouldn't be initiating with your charge because of how fickle it is sometimes and if you miss it your teammate is about to go to pound town.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

HMS Boromir posted:

Oh, so that's where the name of Pomp's 25 damage soul bolt battlerite comes from!

Yeah I thought the same thing lol

HMS Boromir posted:

I made a joke early in the beta that new Pomp is a rejected Souls series level up maiden, then days later I noticed her improved soul bind damage battlerite is straight up called "Dark Souls", so that may honest to goodness have been the concept behind her accent.

:tviv:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

abardam posted:

Rook: how do I not die as him, after running in and blowing my counter? I keep getting ripped to shreds with no way to disengage, really.

If you're doing something repeatedly and it's not working, then do something different.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

But seriously he rock is rad, toss rocks until they try to engage.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

My favorite thing about playing bakko is playing footsies at the start, then engage w/ a jump after shielding some hits + right clicking them a bit.

until either team is one round from victory, which is when I start the rounds by just walking up to them and left clicking. They usually avoid shooting me as I'm walking up to them just because i might hit shield :newlol:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

I'm gonna post this again just as a reminder:

quote:

Prior to the Masters of Bacon tournament (which you can donate 3 euros or more to for a unique Battlerite Avatar), there's also a super-casual (no prize) 2v2 tournament happening on Friday called Ultiduo:

quote:

North America & Asia: https://battlefy.com/battlerite-ultiduo/ultiduo-i/57dff4fc542365120c314649/info Friday 23rd 7PM Pacific Summer Time

Europe: https://battlefy.com/battlerite-ultiduo/ultiduo-i-europe/57e0001eec16fe2b0c519081/info Saturday 24th 12:00 PM Central European Summer Time

IT'S A 2v2 SLUGFEST! FEATURING

NO PRIZES!
ONLY 4 DAYS OF BETA TO PRACTICE!
ONLY ONE CASTER! (plz call me if you want to cast plz?)

Perfect for practising for the Masters of Bacon tournement the day after! Except that's a 3v3 and this is 2v2... hm. Maybe not! BUT ANYWAY!

WHO WILL WIN? NO-ONE KNOWS BECAUSE NOBODY'S PLAYED!

I know Rafza and I are entering. (Woo team Goober!) And Countblanc is going to be doing commentary for it. Also Countblanc, please post ur twitch or w/e and I will put it on the front page or something.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i might play in that thing with one of my good friends and platonic life partners ITT

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Ruzihm posted:

I'm gonna post this again just as a reminder:

I know Rafza and I are entering. (Woo team Goober!) And Countblanc is going to be doing commentary for it. Also Countblanc, please post ur twitch or w/e and I will put it on the front page or something.
[/quote]

If it wasn't so late I'd probably try to get in on it but I'm usually in bed by 6PM PST

also is there any chance we can get the spreadsheet goon list added to the op? its much better for organization than the Discord since not everyone hangs out in there all day. Link is here

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Luna Was Here posted:

also is there any chance we can get the spreadsheet goon list added to the op? its much better for organization than the Discord since not everyone hangs out in there all day. Link is here

Absolutely! Added.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wangsbig posted:

i might play in that thing with one of my good friends and platonic life partners ITT

Radical?

Edit - Also 8.5k concurrent users at the moment. Pretty cool considering BLC never came that close iirc.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 22, 2016

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

we're basically married at this point

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Radical posted:

we're basically married at this point

What is this? Is this like dotabuff for Battlerite?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Ruzihm posted:

What is this? Is this like dotabuff for Battlerite?

yes we have played thirteen hundred battlerite games

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

its the dota 2 "teammates" tab

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Wangsbig posted:

:shrug: I optimistically thought it could be some weird placeholder/in-progress beta thing he was teasing & being funny about. My b.

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 22, 2016

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

Wangsbig posted:

thats impressive

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Rafza posted:

i'll put together some stuff on a google doc and add you and luna and anyone else interested in helping on it then (got nothing to do at work today)

we can then put text to video and get footage, upload it, etc

Very down for this.

Walh Hara posted:

Agree with Lucie and Poloma, but I'm kinda surprised about you mentioning Oldur. I thought his ex-LMB was extremely underwelming (only 2 more damage than his E and no only a very tiny knockback) and while chronoflux is awesome, it sharing cooldown with time bender (his best skill) makes it very situational in my experience.

The thing with his ex-LMB is since it pops Sands of Time it makes more damage happen right now. A LMB into ex-LMB is 36 damage at range with no cooldowns used in a short time from a healer that normally has limited access to damage. Alch is actually very similar in that her LMB does a total of 24 damage over time but spamming it on an opponent isn't as effective because of their debuff, so her ex-LMB gives her more damage than she can normally put out.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

MerrMan posted:

Oh, has anyone had any keybind weirdness? I'm an ESDF player and I can rebind the movement keys just fine, but when I try to switch the ability keys they automatically become "A3" like there's a key on my keyboard held down all the time? A small annoyance, but an annoyance.

Quoting myself on the keybind issue - has anyone run in to this?

And thanks for the Ashka tips, headed home to hop on and give them a try! I'll try taking the first Battlerite for the E although I'll miss the zoning and dot damage from the Volcano.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just played a few games with Shane (dota 2 streamer) and we went 1-3 every time.

I don't think I'll be Twitch famous anytime soon :smith:

Orv
May 4, 2011
So did this come out both good playing and good business decisions?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orv posted:

So did this come out both good playing and good business decisions?

I'd argue the Gold Chests are overpriced for the real money they're asking for but its whatever.

If they keep the real money stuff to just pure cosmetics and not heroes, it'll be good long term in my opinion.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Is Shifu Vs Freya just a lost cause? I've lost every match I had against him.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Night Blade posted:

Is Shifu Vs Freya just a lost cause? I've lost every match I had against him.

I think it's an uphill climb because he has so many good anti-melee tools. If you can counter his m2's (he'll usually do them after 3 m1's) with Q and/or dodge them with E you can probably win but that's some serious reads. Spend as much of your meter on R as you can (make sure static is on first) and use your superior mobility to control orbs as much as you can. If he hasnt taken sustain rites you will be able to just brute force him. Watch for his ultimate and run the gently caress out when he does it. Don't bother with your ultimate unless you know space is down and he isn't in range of a wall to e to.

Android Lust
Sep 2, 2012

Speaking of Freya, how do you guys feel about her? She is my favorite character because I like jumping in and slapping people with my hammer. Kaplow kaplow! :redass: Also I just learned Ex moves are a thing, and I have to say... does Freya legit have the worst Ex moves in the game?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Unfunny Poster posted:

I'd argue the Gold Chests are overpriced for the real money they're asking for but its whatever.

If they keep the real money stuff to just pure cosmetics and not heroes, it'll be good long term in my opinion.

I think it's a matter of limiting the supply as much as possible to make the skins seems rarer and more valuable. Unlike, say, Overwatch, you don't have skins that completely change the silhouette of a character (which is, in my opinion, a very good decision for a game this PVP focused), which means that they can only do a limited amount with the skins and weapon models. Visually, having slightly different colors on Psychopomp isn't quite as impressive as, I dunno, Reaper from Overwatch suddenly sprouting a gigantic sombrero, which is likely why they went with a higher price per chest.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Those of you interested in helping write/do guides for heroes: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ioKiJBP_9GhUFhUVb9XBGF7HK2CWmUNJ9bOmFobYMgo/edit?usp=sharing

It's locked to prevent someone from deleting stuff so PM me your email (or if you don't have PMs, use discord; if you can't use discord, for whatever reason, add me in Battlerite (Rafza)) so that you can edit.

The general workflow in my minds eye is as follows:

1) Showcase abilities, ultimates, and EX abilities (Ashka's Q / Flamestrike creates an AOE stun in a circle, Ashka's R / Firewall creates a projectile blocking flame wall)
2) Showcase tricks (for example, Ashka E into Q into RMB combo (for the videos, naturally, we'd be using ability names: Molten Fist > Flamestrike > Fire Storm)
3) Showcase matches playing out (they're short so you can use highlights of you doing cool things with your character; 2v1s, blindfired ults that kill, etc)
4) Junk Footage (if you capture something not important to your character but still neat, that footage can be used in a closing reel or something. General rule of thumb is to keep all your recordings until editing is done, then you can toss or archive it depending on how invested you want to be in this project.

If you want to do voiceover work for these videos (and you should, its fun; providing your microphone is at least from 2010 or something) we can work together to create a script that I can edit around; otherwise I'll be doing voiceover work for the videos you don't want to do. Once editing is done and the script is recorded, I can combine the two and upload it onto youtube.

General workflow pace is I'd like to have a few of these done every couple of weeks; everyone's busy and its not the end of the world if you can't help or get sidelined with RL stuff, but anything you do get captured would be helpful.

Finally, I've created a discord purely for the project and those interested in it: https://discord.gg/tmhtMBK

e: if you need help capturing certain footage (its easier to show how to deal with, say, Croak when you have an actual croak player vs. AI), ping people in discord!

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 23, 2016

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Android Lust posted:

Speaking of Freya, how do you guys feel about her? She is my favorite character because I like jumping in and slapping people with my hammer. Kaplow kaplow! :redass: Also I just learned Ex moves are a thing, and I have to say... does Freya legit have the worst Ex moves in the game?

freya is a very good character that can stick to ranged units fairly easily; and her ultimate can flat out kill a lot of squishier heroes if they don't have an escape up. she's solid.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So the mmr payout system seems pretty dumb, or at least really unforgiving if you're the lower ranked guy on your team.

Cerepol and I played 2s, he's at Grade 11 (3200) and I'm at Grade 8 (1900). We get into a match and its a Grade 10 and an unranked guy, we lose 2-3 and I take a -22 mmr hit while Cerepol gets -17.

Next match its a Grade 9 and a Grade 10, we go 3-0, and the mmr goes like this. Cerepol +15, me +8.

Third match we lose 2-3 (I get MVP both times we won) and again I get hit with more of an mmr loss despite the other team being higher ranked than me, but lower ranked than Cerepol.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Unfunny Poster posted:

So the mmr payout system seems pretty dumb, or at least really unforgiving if you're the lower ranked guy on your team.

Cerepol and I played 2s, he's at Grade 11 (3200) and I'm at Grade 8 (1900). We get into a match and its a Grade 10 and an unranked guy, we lose 2-3 and I take a -22 mmr hit while Cerepol gets -17.

Next match its a Grade 9 and a Grade 10, we go 3-0, and the mmr goes like this. Cerepol +15, me +8.

Third match we lose 2-3 (I get MVP both times we won) and again I get hit with more of an mmr loss despite the other team being higher ranked than me, but lower ranked than Cerepol.

I heard a rumor that rating change also involves your scores during the rounds in some way. maybe cerepol was scoring more than you in those games.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rafza posted:

Those of you interested in helping write/do guides for heroes: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ioKiJBP_9GhUFhUVb9XBGF7HK2CWmUNJ9bOmFobYMgo/edit?usp=sharing

It's locked to prevent someone from deleting stuff so PM me your email (or if you don't have PMs, use discord; if you can't use discord, for whatever reason, add me in Battlerite (Rafza)) so that you can edit.

The general workflow in my minds eye is as follows:

1) Showcase abilities, ultimates, and EX abilities (Ashka's Q / Flamestrike creates an AOE stun in a circle, Ashka's R / Firewall creates a projectile blocking flame wall)
2) Showcase tricks (for example, Ashka E into Q into RMB combo (for the videos, naturally, we'd be using ability names: Molten Fist > Flamestrike > Fire Storm)
3) Showcase matches playing out (they're short so you can use highlights of you doing cool things with your character; 2v1s, blindfired ults that kill, etc)
4) Junk Footage (if you capture something not important to your character but still neat, that footage can be used in a closing reel or something. General rule of thumb is to keep all your recordings until editing is done, then you can toss or archive it depending on how invested you want to be in this project.

If you want to do voiceover work for these videos (and you should, its fun; providing your microphone is at least from 2010 or something) we can work together to create a script that I can edit around; otherwise I'll be doing voiceover work for the videos you don't want to do. Once editing is done and the script is recorded, I can combine the two and upload it onto youtube.

General workflow pace is I'd like to have a few of these done every couple of weeks; everyone's busy and its not the end of the world if you can't help or get sidelined with RL stuff, but anything you do get captured would be helpful.

Finally, I've created a discord purely for the project and those interested in it: https://discord.gg/tmhtMBK

e: if you need help capturing certain footage (its easier to show how to deal with, say, Croak when you have an actual croak player vs. AI), ping people in discord!

Just wanted to say cool, I'll PM you in a minute, and I'll look at this more in depth tomorrow.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ruzihm posted:

I heard a rumor that rating change also involves your scores during the rounds in some way. maybe cerepol was scoring more than you in those games.

Yeah maybe. It was just confusing and, after a bit, annoying.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Ruzihm posted:

I dearly hope, and suspect, this is false.

The rounds do matter a lot though.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It appears to take the number of rounds won/lost into account. I lose dramatically less Elo for going 2-3 than I do for going 0-3. It's a little too hard to tell with all of the differing Grades what effect score has, but my gut reaction is "not a whole lot." Rounds won/lost seems like a vastly better metric, anyways.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Vermain posted:

It appears to take the number of rounds won/lost into account. I lose dramatically less Elo for going 2-3 than I do for going 0-3. It's a little too hard to tell with all of the differing Grades what effect score has, but my gut reaction is "not a whole lot." Rounds won/lost seems like a vastly better metric, anyways.

I'm pretty sure it's as simple as you gain/lose Elo per round, and the results at the end of the match just display the net.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

yes, that also seems to be why people sometimes gain/lose small amounts of points when they lose/win a match

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

BigLeafyTree posted:

The thing with his ex-LMB is since it pops Sands of Time it makes more damage happen right now. A LMB into ex-LMB is 36 damage at range with no cooldowns used in a short time from a healer that normally has limited access to damage. Alch is actually very similar in that her LMB does a total of 24 damage over time but spamming it on an opponent isn't as effective because of their debuff, so her ex-LMB gives her more damage than she can normally put out.

Ha, of course I know this, but it's still very underwelming, because his E (which also pops Sands of Time) is straight up better. Ex-LMB deals only 2 more damage than his E, but his E cannot be traced, has a very useful CC, has decent AoE and has a faster cast time (and no enegery cost). It's true that you can use ex-LMB while your E is on cooldown, but the "combo" LMB -> E -> LMB -> Ex-LMB -> LMB is so extremely slow that it's just way too situational and I honestly have never seen an Oldur having the time to pull it off.

The comparison with Alch's ex-LMB is a good one, as her ex-LMB is way better. Her LMB -> Ex-LMB combo deals way more damage (48 instead of 38 is 25% more), is faster and has an useful snare instead of a very tiny knockback. Sirius' LMB -> Ex-LMB is even better (and not that much more difficult to pull off), doing 46 (or 50) damage and inflicting both weaken and snare.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It seems like Polona's Space should be her M2 and vice versa. She's sick as hell though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

Not sure if being in a party skews this in any way but have you by any chance played more games than Cerepol? The matchmaking uncertainty value seems to only go down even if you're at >50% winrate, so rating mobility sucks and placement matches along with the next ten or so matches are weighted disproportionately high. BLC had the same issue but hopefully the devs will tinker with the matchmaking algorithm.

• Locked thread