Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Finally reached 800 dex with my Poison Siege Ballista build... man I shouldn't be this excited about a totem build but I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
If I want something that can farm uber(s) and is relatively fast (like moves quickly, clear packs fast) am I basically just looking at either PF BV or bow builds? I started a WC totemer cause I know they can clear content but gently caress me if it's not super loving boring. I got to 83 before I realized that.

I probably have one more character in me before I'm done so hoping for something good I guess. Any suggestions? The cold->fire vortex looked fun but also extremely expensive. I think I have maybe ~4 ex to play with in currency and whatever my 5l belly is worth I guess.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

You could always look through mathil's youtube videos. Most of his builds have very good clearspeed and can kill uber.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

turboraton posted:

Finally reached 800 dex with my Poison Siege Ballista build... man I shouldn't be this excited about a totem build but I am.

I rather liked siege ballista when I did it in perandus, I imagine there might be new heavy dex items that work in the build, like cospri for poison.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 23, 2016

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I rather liked siege ballista when I did it in perandus, I imagine there might be new heavy dex items that work in the build, like cospri for poison.

Same here. I think the shaper gloves could be useful for it. 150 life for 600 dex seems like it would be quite good.

edit:

quote:

Introduced new microtransaction skill effects: Black Hole Frostbolt, Black Hole Vortex and Flare Discharge.
When you complete the special objective of a map, an ornate gold circle will now appear around the map icon on the Atlas.
When your Atlas and Inventory are both open, hovering over a map in your inventory will highlight it on the Atlas. When right clicking on a map in your inventory, the Atlas will centre around that map.
A text search box has been added to the Atlas, you can search by a map's name or tier (for example, tier:4). Maps that you have uncovered that match the search will be highlighted.
Further improved the behaviour of totems with channeled skills.
Removed the mod "Contains additional Divination Cards from the current Area" from the Diviner's Strongbox.
All corruption only Essence mods (of Delirium, Horror, Hysteria and Insanity) now have a minimum level of 50.
Fixed a bug where Eternal Orb imprints of items with "Cast" abilities (such as glove enchantments) would not save correctly.
Fixed a performance issue related to global effects (like surface water or certain environmental changes that occur around map bosses).
Fixed a bug where the Atlas image would appear cut off on some graphic cards (those that couldn't handle textures larger than 4096x4096).
Fixed a bug where Enduring Cry would stack life regeneration incorrectly.
Fixed a bug where Trap and Mine damage stats could affect damage when not using a trap or mine.
Fixed a client crash with the "Chill nearby enemies for 1 second on Block" essence mod.
Fixed a client crash with Dominus' cold totems.
Fixed an instance crash that could occur with totems casting Flameblast.
Fixed a rare instance crash related to Vakali Totems.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 23, 2016

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I think you meant to bold the line below it too (RIP super-broken leveling gloves).

And I'm glad they finally fixed that FB totem instance crash (although it would've been cool had it happened before I lost my Atziri :argh:)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

When your Atlas and Inventory are both open, hovering over a map in your inventory will highlight it on the Atlas. When right clicking on a map in your inventory, the Atlas will centre around that map.
A text search box has been added to the Atlas, you can search by a map's name or tier (for example, tier:4). Maps that you have uncovered that match the search will be highlighted.

hallelujah!

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

quote:

All corruption only Essence mods (of Delirium, Horror, Hysteria and Insanity) now have a minimum level of 50.

:rip:

glad I got 2 more characters up to ~50 before the fun hating fix

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
umm thats all way less important than void MTX

and discharge MTX

I hope it's more lag inducing

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

TheRat posted:

You could always look through mathil's youtube videos. Most of his builds have very good clearspeed and can kill uber.

Seems like his dreamfeather ST kind of fits what I wanted though I was hoping to stay away from PF for this league. Oh well! Looks fun.

Not looking forward to dropping most of my money on a vinktars though.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Tabletops posted:

Seems like his dreamfeather ST kind of fits what I wanted though I was hoping to stay away from PF for this league. Oh well! Looks fun.

I've not looked at it very deeply, but I'm almost certain his build doesnt require pathfinder if you dont want to. It's just better on account of flasks being broken.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
okay okay last CI Lightning Strike Deadeye build. Any feedback you have would be appreciated.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

TheRat posted:

on account of flasks being broken.
i dunno if they are broken themselves but it seems like they were definitely not balanced with the idea of them being up 100% of the time

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Awesome! posted:

i dunno if they are broken themselves but it seems like they were definitely not balanced with the idea of them being up 100% of the time

with 50% increased effect to boot

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Vinktar's is very much broken. Remove the aoe shock and significantly nerf the leech and it might be allright. Or remove the leech and keep the aoe shock.

E: Or make the self-shock unpurgable by any means at all, so it actually has a significant tradeoff.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What does the final mana cost for ice storm look like? Its at 113 at lvl 33 for me. Im having a bit of a time running for very long.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Rest in peace, my lovely, lovely gloves.

Got to warehouse sewers in 55 minutes and could definitely be faster, but ah well. I really ought to just do that when leveling all the time, even with normal builds. Gotta go faaaaaaaaaaaaast

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

theshim posted:

Gotta go faaaaaaaaaaaaast

That's pretty much the trick yea. Dont stop running, dont clear white packs, dont match zone level, do efficient routes.

One good example that saves a lot of time is in act1 submerged passage: Instead of doing the crab and then running all the way through the zone again, leave a tp at the bridge (there's always a rope-bridge right after the crossroad between crab and ledge) and run to the ledge waypoint. Take the waypoint back to town, take your tp to the bridge and then do the crab. like thThings at save you a lot of time overall.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

TheRat posted:

I've not looked at it very deeply, but I'm almost certain his build doesnt require pathfinder if you dont want to. It's just better on account of flasks being broken.

yeah he says as much (https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1737562) suggesting raider and assassin to both be viable (though untested). I suppose the biggest draw is the evasion stacking for DF and qotf which of course would be considerably stronger with 100% uptime on your jade flask as well as the increased effectiveness from PF. would probably work better with different weapons on an assassin or raider (maybe?).

also if anyones around could they throw an guild invite to sparkledickraveswords? ty!

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 23, 2016

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Tabletops posted:

You absolutely do not need to go Pathfinder. Assassin probably does way more damage.

Here's a tree that uses the same number of points as Mathil's Pathfinder tree, and has more evasion and life: poeurl.com/MSA

I believe this should easily be able to cap crit with an increased crits gem. Maybe it doesn't even need the gem, in which case you only have to change 1 link around instead of 2. The tradeoffs vs Pathfinder are you lose the duration cluster near Scion (kind of made up for by Assassin's +30% duration if you've killed an enemy recently), and you lose the flask nodes, both from the Ascendancy and from the skill tree itself. You'll probably have to use Poison + Inc Crits as links instead of Pierce + Faster Attacks, but Pierce damage boost isn't nearly as big as it used to be anyways and Faster Attacks is a fairly expendable link in the first place. It also drops some increased damage nodes but I can't imagine you aren't doing at least twice as much damage as the Pathfinder version, with like 450% crit multiplier and capped crit rate + all your poisons doing double damage from the ascendancy. Obviously there's a big problem with not being able to sustain a Vessel of Vinktar for free, but that's what you get for not playing Pathfinder.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Bugsy posted:

Same here. I think the shaper gloves could be useful for it. 150 life for 600 dex seems like it would be quite good.

edit:

Ugh now I'm going to have to run Frostbolt/Vortex at some point.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuLURc7fZDg
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Minimized/characters

Shaperkill on a 4link (essence-crafted helmet). Dude claims you can probably do it on a sub 1ex budget if you go CI instead of lowlife.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Ultima66 posted:

You absolutely do not need to go Pathfinder. Assassin probably does way more damage.

Here's a tree that uses the same number of points as Mathil's Pathfinder tree, and has more evasion and life: poeurl.com/MSA

I believe this should easily be able to cap crit with an increased crits gem. Maybe it doesn't even need the gem, in which case you only have to change 1 link around instead of 2. The tradeoffs vs Pathfinder are you lose the duration cluster near Scion (kind of made up for by Assassin's +30% duration if you've killed an enemy recently), and you lose the flask nodes, both from the Ascendancy and from the skill tree itself. You'll probably have to use Poison + Inc Crits as links instead of Pierce + Faster Attacks, but Pierce damage boost isn't nearly as big as it used to be anyways and Faster Attacks is a fairly expendable link in the first place. It also drops some increased damage nodes but I can't imagine you aren't doing at least twice as much damage as the Pathfinder version, with like 450% crit multiplier and capped crit rate + all your poisons doing double damage from the ascendancy. Obviously there's a big problem with not being able to sustain a Vessel of Vinktar for free, but that's what you get for not playing Pathfinder.

i suppose my concern with going crit would be not being able to do reflect I guess. I think that'd be pretty much it?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

TheRat posted:

Shaperkill on a 4link (essence-crafted helmet). Dude claims you can probably do it on a sub 1ex budget if you go CI instead of lowlife.

The 30% More damage essence for the hat seems underrated because that's basically a easy 5 link.

Rapid decay works on ignite?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Wow, so explosive arrow does utterly poo poo single target damage unless you want to deal with the huge pain in the rear end that is weapon swapping. Good, Great.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Use a wall

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

It's like shooting at the ground with rockets. But in 2d

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

TheRat posted:

I kinda wanna do this build now that there's gonna be a black hole vortex, and gives me an excuse to try CI. Maybe I'll try it this weekend if DOOMFLETCH continues to pall.

Did you put it together from a build thread somewhere, or yourself? If I go CI, there's no required gear since I can skip Shavronne's Wrappings, right?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 23, 2016

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm doing a lightning strike raider w/ hyaons like I always wanted to, breaking my rule of "get the previous guy to 90 before rerolling" that I made for myself this league. Oh well, 86.5 is close enough.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
I'm playing BV pathfinder (like every other imagination-less person). The build I'm looking at (this one) suggests taking a second BV gem with PCoC and curse on hit. Can someone who knows more about BV than me explain how this works with stacking? I use an MTX on my primary BV and therefore I can see when the secondary one is active by the green swirl in the midst of the red swirls, but it's hard to see, and sometimes it seems to disappear early. If I cast the primary 20 times before the secondary wears off, will it overwrite it? I wonder if that's what's happening.

Frankly having to manage keeping the secondary BV up without any visible timer (and PoE's very annoying cast queueing which means I have to spam the button to get it to actually cast) is extremely annoying, so for now I've just hooked my curse up to Blasphemy and put the PCoC gem straight into my primary BV 5-link, which hurts my damage but is orders of magnitude smoother to play.

Can anyone who's played this build higher than I have (level ~75) give me any pointers that might make it a bit more user-friendly using the secondary BV?

Also, I have enough currency to afford either Vinktar's or Rumi's - which is a better first upgrade for survivability?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
It's 20 stacks globally, so if you spam your primary one you'll eventually overwrite stacks from your secondary.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Tabletops posted:

i suppose my concern with going crit would be not being able to do reflect I guess. I think that'd be pretty much it?

I'm basically running Mathil's build but as a Raider and with a bow.

Level 90

E:
I forgot, you can run this with a 20c Lioneye's and do more damage than I am with a 5ex thicket; of course you'll miss out on evading 2/3 of the reflected phys damage, but there's still dodge and more than half of your damage should be coming from chaos.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 23, 2016

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The 30% More damage essence for the hat seems underrated because that's basically a easy 5 link.

Rapid decay works on ignite?

It's more than a 5-link, because there aren't any good double-dipping gems left but the 30% more damage does.

Yes it does.

And about the void Vortex, I have never bought a MTX so fast in my life.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Vulpes posted:

I'm playing BV pathfinder (like every other imagination-less person). The build I'm looking at (this one) suggests taking a second BV gem with PCoC and curse on hit. Can someone who knows more about BV than me explain how this works with stacking? I use an MTX on my primary BV and therefore I can see when the secondary one is active by the green swirl in the midst of the red swirls, but it's hard to see, and sometimes it seems to disappear early. If I cast the primary 20 times before the secondary wears off, will it overwrite it? I wonder if that's what's happening.

Frankly having to manage keeping the secondary BV up without any visible timer (and PoE's very annoying cast queueing which means I have to spam the button to get it to actually cast) is extremely annoying, so for now I've just hooked my curse up to Blasphemy and put the PCoC gem straight into my primary BV 5-link, which hurts my damage but is orders of magnitude smoother to play.

Can anyone who's played this build higher than I have (level ~75) give me any pointers that might make it a bit more user-friendly using the secondary BV?

Also, I have enough currency to afford either Vinktar's or Rumi's - which is a better first upgrade for survivability?

Having played BV 2 leagues ago (without any p2w mtx :v:), I used the fact that the primary BV was linked to spell echo. So if there's an odd number of stacks, that means the secondary is up. If there's an even number of stacks, then you either let the secondary drop off (or you accidentally pressed the secondary twice).

Alternatively, try swapping the mtx onto your secondary, see if that shows up nicer.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

gonadic io posted:

It's more than a 5-link, because there aren't any good double-dipping gems left but the 30% more damage does.

Yes it does.

And about the void Vortex, I have never bought a MTX so fast in my life.

projectile, area (and melee :v:) still double dip, they only removed traps and mines

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

The Real Foogla posted:

projectile, area (and melee :v:) still double dip, they only removed traps and mines

edit: derp

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

The Real Foogla posted:

I'm talking about my (and others') Vortex build - running:
- Vortex
- Inc AoE/Concentrated Effect
- Controlled Destruction
- Chance to Ignite/Elemental Focus

The other gem options would be things like Hypothermia or Rapid Decay, neither of which double-dip or running Inc AoE and CE at the same time. The 30% more ele damage is more valuable than any of those options IMO. Unless you're a strength build and want to run the Iron Will gem of course.

Plus this means that I can actually run a Solaris while I save for a Shav's without having to spend a million chroms to get the colours I'd need on a 5 link.

The only gearing problem with my build is I need either a level 4 empower (heh), a +1 gems rare ES gloves (heh) or a +1 gems Rainbowstrides to get a level 23 Purity of Fire, which I'm currently sinking all of my available currency into trying to get.

edit: actually I've just had a great idea: Putting Discipline, Purity of Fire, and Empower into a +1 gems wand. That'd be way cheaper!
edit2: Or even Discipline and Purity of Fire without Empower at all into a +1 gems, +2 fire gems if you care more about the mana reserved than the extra ES. There's currently a wand with that and 79% increased Fire Spell Damage for only 10c on poe.trade.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 23, 2016

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

turboraton posted:

Could I get some more info on this build from you? I was thinking of doing Iron Commander for my next build and I've been slowly accumulating gear I think would work well with it (and 20% quality gems).

Thanks in advance.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Vasudus posted:

I'm doing a lightning strike raider w/ hyaons like I always wanted to, breaking my rule of "get the previous guy to 90 before rerolling" that I made for myself this league. Oh well, 86.5 is close enough.

how does raider interact with LS

e: *checks the ascendency* ah, i see.

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Ok ok. FINAL REVISION: CI Dagger Deadeye LS

Hopefully the dagger crit+accuracy will let me consistently crit dudes, applying shock as well as elemental overlap, and crafting "Causes Bleed on Hit" on a weapon will let me cause bleed all the time, for even more crit and damage from deadeye ascendency. Anyways. That's the theorycarft. Time to put in ~15 hours to see if this idea can even get off the ground.

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 23, 2016

• Locked thread