Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Driving in Atlanta can be somewhat confusing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Murphys Law posted:

I wonder how many of these people we're sharing the road with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_krwMQfVOl0

Now replace these cops with a cash machine and it becomes obvious why those people are still on the road.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Saw a sign by an area with a lot of bars that read "Driving slowly doesn't make you look less drunk". Made me chuckle.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

This exact thing happened on 3 separate occasions here in my city over this summer. One killed the brother of my step-daughter's best friend.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

I drive this stretch at least once a week. A lovely area where frequently the left lane sustains 90mph+ traffic and the right lane is at a dead stop. While accidents like that are rare, it is more frequent that someone in the stopped lane suddenly gets offended that they have been slowed down and they swerve out into traffic which is going two to four times faster, either causing an accident or a near miss chain that can pucker your rear end in a top hat up tighter than a gnat's pussy.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I drive this stretch at least once a week. A lovely area where frequently the left lane sustains 90mph+ traffic and the right lane is at a dead stop. While accidents like that are rare, it is more frequent that someone in the stopped lane suddenly gets offended that they have been slowed down and they swerve out into traffic which is going two to four times faster, either causing an accident or a near miss chain that can pucker your rear end in a top hat up tighter than a gnat's pussy.

This is why whenever I drive down in Illinois, especially on the interstates, I turn into a ball of rage. It doesn't matter how nice the traffic is going, just on IL interstates I get pissed.

It's why I prefer taking side streets, no tolls too!

e: I know exactly where that is too. Gurnee is such a mess especially when Six Flags is active.

iospace fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 22, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Minto Took posted:

I never understood that either.

One thing that irks me the most is people cutting over at the exit. Not a 1/4 mile from the exit like if a person didn't know the area, but right where the exit branches off the highway. Yes, there was a line and you're not some special snowflake.

There's a few ramps here that are exceptionally bad for this, so ADOT is actually going through and installing lane dividers on them to try and get people to pick a lane early and stop mowing through the gore point.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Someone did this to me one time. It was 2003 or 2004, and I was in a 1996 Ford Taurus. I was on the freeway, a guy pulled out of a backed up exit into my lane. I hit the brakes hard. Almost didn't stop. I drove right to the mechanic. He said the rear drum blew out and I lost a lot of fluid. I don't know how I had enough pressure to be able to drive it there in the first place.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iospace posted:

This is why whenever I drive down in Illinois, especially on the interstates, I turn into a ball of rage. It doesn't matter how nice the traffic is going, just on IL interstates I get pissed.

Crossing back into Illinois is the worst part of a road trip vacation. Get out of the state and while there's always idiots on the road, you're not constantly mad at everything around you. Five minutes back in the land of Lincoln? Exactly what you said, it's just mile after mile of dreaming up ways to painfully murder the assholes around you.

I don't know why every single driver in the state is actively trying to enrage other drivers but it's pervasive and I haven't seen anything quite like it in any other state I've driven in.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You haven't been to Massachusetts I take it? Seriously, Worcester's #199 out of 200 for driving safety, Boston's #200.

I see poo poo that just makes me shake my head and curse every single day. FIVE TIMES yesterday I got cut off by morons or saw someone do something abjectly stupid.

#1 guy just blundered out into the passing lane without doing anything resembling accelerating. Then sat there for miles ignoring everything including the growing buildup behind him.
#2 I'm cruising along at like 3mph over the speed of the middle lane, in the right lane, because of people like the guy from #1 blocking the left lane, and someone in the right lane ahead of me abruptly changes to the middle lane so they could tailgate a line of traffic. No idea why, there was no one in front of them and they were going the speed of traffic.
#3 someone did exactly the opposite.
#4 people jamming into an exit ramp by crossing the gore point. I wish gore was literal in this case because they gently caress up a mile of i93N between the #36 Montvale exit and the i95 exit every single evening by being dicklords.
#5 I nearly got sideswiped by a tractor trailer deciding they deserved half my lane as well as all of theirs. No wind. I have no idea what the hell.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

xzzy posted:

Crossing back into Illinois is the worst part of a road trip vacation. Get out of the state and while there's always idiots on the road, you're not constantly mad at everything around you. Five minutes back in the land of Lincoln? Exactly what you said, it's just mile after mile of dreaming up ways to painfully murder the assholes around you.

I don't know why every single driver in the state is actively trying to enrage other drivers but it's pervasive and I haven't seen anything quite like it in any other state I've driven in.

I've driven from Milwaukee down to Mitsuwa a couple times in the last year. I've found that getting off at the I-94/US 41 split then driving over to US 45 and taking that and the city streets the rest of the way does wonders for my blood pressure, especially that I have a non-trivial amount of time to get in the proper lane well ahead of the turn I need to make. Same with going to Gurnee as well, though now that they built a Portillo's up here, there's no more use for me going to down to Gurnee anymore apart from Steak and Shake.

Though we have our share of idiots up here, namely ones that don't know how to deal with the zipper merge heading up to the Zoo Interchange.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

Someone did this to me one time. It was 2003 or 2004, and I was in a 1996 Ford Taurus. I was on the freeway, a guy pulled out of a backed up exit into my lane. I hit the brakes hard. Almost didn't stop. I drove right to the mechanic. He said the rear drum blew out and I lost a lot of fluid. I don't know how I had enough pressure to be able to drive it there in the first place.

As someone who has had both his rear and front brakes fail at some point (not at the same time luckily), rear brakes really don't make a huge difference. In fact, I didn't really notice the difference until I noticed the oil around one wheel. The front brakes though were an entirely different matter and I had to drive very conservatively home to make sure I could come to a stop.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I love that on the 60W they are putting up dividers on the gore zones. Those ones that won't total your car if you plow through them to avoid an accident or if you're broken down, but stiff enough to shatter your bumper or gently caress up your paint.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Geirskogul posted:

I love that on the 60W they are putting up dividers on the gore zones. Those ones that won't total your car if you plow through them to avoid an accident or if you're broken down, but stiff enough to shatter your bumper or gently caress up your paint.

Gore point divers are terrible, they should do this on every one of them on every freeway around here.

The place that ticks me off every single day on my way home is the I-10/I-17 split by the airport. I-17 gets backed up pretty heavily there, so rear end-hats will take the far right lane that will go to I-10, and then drive all the way to the gore point of the split and then turn on their turn signal and come to a complete stop and force their way onto the left I-17 lane, causing traffic to swerve around them or slow down/stop on I-10. Pisses me off, because you know that about 99% of these people were completely aware that they were in the wrong lane, they just feel entitled to not wait with the rest of us plebes and instead contribute to the slow-down, but hey, they didn't have to wait in line.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

1000 points

2000 points

Damage Multiplier

MMMAXXXIMUM DAAAAAAMMMMAAAAAAGGGGEEEEE

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It should be legal to kill people who have their hi-beams on in city traffic. Like, there's streetlights all over the goddamn place, and tons of traffic. You can't possibly need your hi-beams, or even benefit from them in any way. Bonus: the guy who brought this thought to mind... was parked. You most especially don't need your hi-beams on when you're not even loving moving.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

PT6A posted:

It should be legal to kill people who have their hi-beams on in city traffic. Like, there's streetlights all over the goddamn place, and tons of traffic. You can't possibly need your hi-beams, or even benefit from them in any way. Bonus: the guy who brought this thought to mind... was parked. You most especially don't need your hi-beams on when you're not even loving moving.

I'd be happy if assholes turned their lights on in the first place, high-beams or not.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You Am I posted:

1000 points

2000 points

Damage Multiplier

MMMAXXXIMUM DAAAAAAMMMMAAAAAAGGGGEEEEE

I'm going to hell because I laughed way too hard at this.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

iospace posted:

If it makes you feel any better, they're just as bad off the interstates. There's a reason people in Wisconsin call Illinois drivers FIBs. :v:

At this point I'm pretty sure it's a self-sustaining system of people driving hyper-aggressively so the other aggressive drivers don't murder them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Haifisch posted:

If it makes you feel any better, they're just as bad off the interstates. There's a reason people in Wisconsin call Illinois drivers FIBs. :v:

At this point I'm pretty sure it's a self-sustaining system of people driving hyper-aggressively so the other aggressive drivers don't murder them.

As someone who had lived in Wisconsin her entire life, trust me, I know. It's just that it feels less annoying on the side streets than the main roads.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

TotalLossBrain posted:

I'd be happy if assholes turned their lights on in the first place, high-beams or not.

We have DRLs by law, so you very rarely get complete ghost cars (and in the city, everything is lit well enough that you stand a decent chance of seeing a ghost car properly anyway). I'd well loving rather that than some fuckstick's hi-beams aimed directly at my eyes so I can't see anything at all.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Gore point is where lanes diverge right? The line between rear end in a top hat waiting til the last minute and totally great guy who's being blocked out of a zipper merge is nonexistent.

And I think the one redeeming factor to Illinois/chicago traffic is grids, at least there's less curves and weird intersections than most other places. Although the practice of having lanes enter/exit from the left is horrible in those few spots, you then have to spend miles untangling the slow idiots who can't move over from the left side.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 23, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PT6A posted:

We have DRLs by law, so you very rarely get complete ghost cars (and in the city, everything is lit well enough that you stand a decent chance of seeing a ghost car properly anyway). I'd well loving rather that than some fuckstick's hi-beams aimed directly at my eyes so I can't see anything at all.

The worst is when it's cloudy (and more so while raining or foggy) and no one turns their lights on. I'm glad I have DLRs, but morons think their hot poo poo all the time by not doing so. I usually end up flashing my highbeams a couple times at people who don't have lights on in bad weather.

Usually doesn't work. :ughh:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

kastein posted:

You haven't been to Massachusetts I take it? Seriously, Worcester's #199 out of 200 for driving safety, Boston's #200.

I see poo poo that just makes me shake my head and curse every single day. FIVE TIMES yesterday I got cut off by morons or saw someone do something abjectly stupid.

#1 guy just blundered out into the passing lane without doing anything resembling accelerating. Then sat there for miles ignoring everything including the growing buildup behind him.
#2 I'm cruising along at like 3mph over the speed of the middle lane, in the right lane, because of people like the guy from #1 blocking the left lane, and someone in the right lane ahead of me abruptly changes to the middle lane so they could tailgate a line of traffic. No idea why, there was no one in front of them and they were going the speed of traffic.
#3 someone did exactly the opposite.
#4 people jamming into an exit ramp by crossing the gore point. I wish gore was literal in this case because they gently caress up a mile of i93N between the #36 Montvale exit and the i95 exit every single evening by being dicklords.
#5 I nearly got sideswiped by a tractor trailer deciding they deserved half my lane as well as all of theirs. No wind. I have no idea what the hell.

Is it really that bad? The fiance and I visited the east coast two months ago and we thought the drivers in Boston were way loving better than some of the idiots we have in Denver.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

iospace posted:

It's why I prefer taking side streets, no tolls too!

Not quite as bad here but I avoid the interstates because it's a non-stop, barely moving pile of traffic almost 24/7 due to construction. Accidents every morning and afternoon during the usual commute because idiots don't watch what they're doing and cars backed up more than a mile because of selfish 'tards and poor planning. I take back roads or regular side streets as often as possible and still have people get dumbfounded that I make it where I need to go quicker than they do.

Unrelated: I hope in the very near future that old people are either outright denied the privilege to drive or are forced to test yearly (including hearing/sight/reflex) after they hit retirement age. Had some dipshit old fart in an SUV slam on his brakes while merging from an offramp to a regular street when the lane he was merging into was completely empty...I went around and wouldn't you know it, he's playing with a goddamn cell phone and not paying attention. When you look and function like you're 90 going on dead, the last thing you need is a car, a cell phone or anything else remotely technical that's only gonna confuse and distract.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Unrelated: I hope in the very near future that old people are either outright denied the privilege to drive or are forced to test yearly (including hearing/sight/reflex) after they hit retirement age. Had some dipshit old fart in an SUV slam on his brakes while merging from an offramp to a regular street when the lane he was merging into was completely empty...I went around and wouldn't you know it, he's playing with a goddamn cell phone and not paying attention. When you look and function like you're 90 going on dead, the last thing you need is a car, a cell phone or anything else remotely technical that's only gonna confuse and distract.

Never happen. Those old people are the same ones that refused to pay the tax money for functional public transit so there is no other option for them to get around.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Besides mirrors, how the gently caress do I signal to someone that their high-beams are on?

I tried flashing the brake lights, turning my lights off and on, getting behind them and hitting them with MY high-beams, hazard lights, brake checking them, writing it on a posterboard and holding it out the window and finally just running them off the road.
Then they just sat there on the shoulder with their high beams on, hitting EVERYONE that passed.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Besides mirrors, how the gently caress do I signal to someone that their high-beams are on?

I tried flashing the brake lights, turning my lights off and on, getting behind them and hitting them with MY high-beams, hazard lights, brake checking them, writing it on a posterboard and holding it out the window and finally just running them off the road.
Then they just sat there on the shoulder with their high beams on, hitting EVERYONE that passed.

I think the ISO standard method is to pull them out of the car and beat them to death with a chunk of rebar.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Nearly a 9/11's worth of Americans will die each month on the road in highly preventable accidents but you're insane if you think any politician ever is going to pass for some sort of driving standards reform or mandatory testing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I still have a couple motes of optimism left in me, keeps me hoping that someday something will change.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

I still have a couple motes of optimism left in me, keeps me hoping that someday something will change.

Autonomous driving will take half off the road, and dodge the other half.

At that point though there's going to be 36,000 extra americans every year. 36,000 more people in front of you at the bank with an AR-15 on their back yelling at the dude born in san diego to go back to mexico.

36,000 people that thought it was okay to get half lit and check their facebook while piloting 4000lbs of steel down the highway at 80 miles an hour.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Powershift posted:

Autonomous driving will take half off the road, and dodge the other half.

At that point though there's going to be 36,000 extra americans every year. 36,000 more people in front of you at the bank with an AR-15 on their back yelling at the dude born in san diego to go back to mexico.

36,000 people that thought it was okay to get half lit and check their facebook while piloting 4000lbs of steel down the highway at 80 miles an hour.

THATS COLD-ROLLED AMERICAN FREEDOM STEEL, BABY

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The snowbird wars as all coastal areas are slowly submerged and wealthy individuals fight to acquire property on the new shorelines will offset that downward trend in road fatalities.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

The snowbird wars as all coastal areas are slowly submerged and wealthy individuals fight to acquire property on the new shorelines will offset that downward trend in road fatalities.

Seeing as how most of the land lost is going to be in florida, most of the deaths will come from "i ain't movin', i was born here and ain't no scientist tellin me i can't *gurgle*gurgle*gurgle*"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
so I'm in a left turn lane at a major intersection that always backs up real bad. I'm not too concerned with staying right on the rear end of the car ahead of me because I'm about a dozen cars back when we get a green. anyways, a lifted f150 starts hammering the horn at me because I allow an entire half length of a car gap between myself and the car ahead of me. By the time I get to the intersection I consider simply not pulling out into it and instead waiting by the crosswalk, where I could trap him at the red. but I don't so that and pull into the intersection behind two other cars also trying to make the left

this guy is so furious at all three of us not turning left that he swerves into oncoming traffic and passes all of us in order to make the left he so badly wanted. of course all three of us immediately caught up to him a half block later

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

go3 posted:

THATS COLD-ROLLED AMERICAN FREEDOM STEEL, BABY

I read this in the voice of Macho Man Randy Savage. Correct? y/n

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I read this in the voice of Macho Man Randy Savage. Correct? y/n

needs a brother instead of baby but otherwise checks out.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

so I'm in a left turn lane at a major intersection that always backs up real bad. I'm not too concerned with staying right on the rear end of the car ahead of me because I'm about a dozen cars back when we get a green. anyways, a lifted f150 starts hammering the horn at me because I allow an entire half length of a car gap between myself and the car ahead of me. By the time I get to the intersection I consider simply not pulling out into it and instead waiting by the crosswalk, where I could trap him at the red. but I don't so that and pull into the intersection behind two other cars also trying to make the left

this guy is so furious at all three of us not turning left that he swerves into oncoming traffic and passes all of us in order to make the left he so badly wanted. of course all three of us immediately caught up to him a half block later

Last week I had a a guy pull pretty much the same thing. Turning left out of a road that only services our office complex. We're all trying to make a left at the next light after the turn to get on the highway and it's backed up into the intersection. Truck bro starts honking at me for not moving into the blocked intersection. Like maybe I would have cheated up if you hadn't honked, but now I'm definitely loving not.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Last night I made a left onto a one lane road. As soon as I made the turn, a guy in an Escalade behind me passed me on the right using the parallel parking spots. About 100 feet later the road becomes two lanes and he cut over to the left lane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powershift posted:

Seeing as how most of the land lost is going to be in florida, most of the deaths will come from "i ain't movin', i was born here and ain't no scientist tellin me i can't *gurgle*gurgle*gurgle*"

Harry Randall Truman: patron saint of future Floridians.