Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Impression after half a day with the S2:

it's just so much faster. I tried Watch OS3 on my first gen Apple Watch, and the software help, but you can see the difference in processor for sure. I loaded up google maps in about 3 seconds, Apple Maps then loaded just as quickly, and when I went to map view in Apple maps it loaded in 3-5 seconds tops. That used to take literally 15-20 seconds an app easily. Much better. Apps in general will probably be way more useful. The only app missing for me that is annoying is Hangouts, which who knows if google will release a Watch app.

New OS is nice, I wish they had play/pause in the control center swipe up, but I changed a complication to music and that helps.

The S2 makes a loud noise when you eject water. Given how they described the speaker ejecting water, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but it's pretty funny.

I would say between the S1 and S2 it's pretty much do you need water proof or GPS, but definitely definitely the processor makes the jump so much better on whichever you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Long shot, but are you sure you're not putting it in backwards (ie upside down)?

Nope, definitely the right direction. There's size markings on the bottom of both pieces.

I'm not making a special trip, but I'll ask next time I'm near a store, I guess.

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.
Is there any way to track which apps/complications etc. are draining battery (kind of like how iOS lists out battery use percentages for apps for the iPhone/iPad?)

I picked up a series 1 38mm on Friday, and while I like it a lot, I'm noticing that battery life is great for a day or so after a reboot (I easily get through the day with some to spare), but after that it drains very quickly, even after a full recharge and light usage (i.e. just checking the time.) Rebooting the watch brings battery usage back in line with a more reasonable battery life (i.e. not losing ~10% an hour)

I suspect there's some runaway app or process that kills the battery over time, and I'd rather not have to go through the annoying process of adding/removing apps to try and find it or add rebooting my watch every morning if I don't have to.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I just looked and couldn't find one. Try removing poo poo from the dock. I think those apps run constantly. You can also disable background refresh for apps you don't think need it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

I just looked and couldn't find one. Try removing poo poo from the dock. I think those apps run constantly. You can also disable background refresh for apps you don't think need it.

Where did you disable app refreshes on the watch? I couldn't find that option.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

So I've tried everything to get unlock with Apple Watch to work and now the only thing I've succeeded in doing is making the option to do it disappear. It now no longer even offers the option to turn on "Unlock with Apple Watch" under security. I have tried literally everything, I reimaged my watch, I signed in and out of iCloud on all my devices, turned everything on and off several times, I deleted my bluetooth preferences from my Mac, I am literally out of options. Nothing will get this feature (which is 100% supported on my Mac) to do anything.

This is the first time I have been completely unable to troubleshoot a feature like this. And AppleCare basically just says they don't know why it won't work either. And I can't even find any other help online because all the people who are having issues are either dumb and don't have something essential turned on, or are wondering why their stone-age MacBook doesn't have the option in settings. This is the most frustrated I've been with Apple products. And its awful because I can't even see what the computer is supposed to be doing, so I can't do anything to fix it. And yes, I have 2-factor authentication turned on.

For something thats supposed to just magically work, it instead just magically ceased to exist. Sorry for the venting, I just don't know what else I can do to get this seemingly simple feature to actually work. :eng99:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah I had some issues getting unlock with Watch to work. When I tried to enable the feature it kept throwing up an error message that it couldn't find my watch. I don't know what I did to make it work though. I think I just kept trying to enable the feature and eventually it worked.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I really wish I could stop notifications for apps that i already told it to stop notifying me

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Just used my watch to unlock my MacBook pro retina and it worked so well I was confused why my computer was unlocked as I opened it. Then I remembered, and a H U G E smile crept across my face. And everyone stood up and clapped for me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Just used my watch to unlock my MacBook pro retina and it worked so well I was confused why my computer was unlocked as I opened it. Then I remembered, and a H U G E smile crept across my face. And everyone stood up and clapped for me.

Same, OP

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm no longer in any way convinced that the online watch stock thing on Apple's site is remotely accurate.

Zero stock of S2 Aluminum for four days in any Ontario stores? There are people buying watches. I doubt they're all stainless. I'm just going to go line up at 8am tomorrow and hope they have a watch for me to buy. I even gave up on hoping for a pearl nylon band because I'm going to replace it with leather anyway so I don't really care.

Changed my order on the online store to a white sport bad for same reason, and it ships 3-5wks vs 5-7wks so worst case if I can't pick one up in store at least I should (???) get it sooner.

I'm putting an awful lot of energy and thought into something I said I wasn't going to.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 22, 2016

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Martytoof posted:

I'm no longer in any way convinced that the online watch stock thing on Apple's site is remotely accurate.

Zero stock of S2 Aluminum for four days in any Ontario stores? There are people buying watches. I doubt they're all stainless. I'm just going to go line up at 8am tomorrow and hope they have a watch for me to buy. I even gave up on hoping for a pearl nylon band because I'm going to replace it with leather anyway so I don't really care.

Changed my order on the online store to a white sport bad for same reason, and it ships 3-5wks vs 5-7wks so worst case if I can't pick one up in store at least I should (???) get it sooner.

I'm putting an awful lot of energy and thought into something I said I wasn't going to.

istocknow.com has a little blue checkbox at the bottom to help you filter by stores with apple watches, and also subselect if its 38 or 42. The availability picture is totally brutal, not many watches are being sent to stores, it seems like a lot of the stock is going to fulfill preorder commitments.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If you're terminal savvy, quit checking manually and just run this thing. https://libraries.io/github/yuha0/applechecker

I put that in Docker and set the interval to something more sane like 1min. Two days later I got a text at 11am and now I'm wearing a 42mm S2.

The Apple Store employee didn't even believe it was there when I went in to pickup.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Best Buy had a first generation 38mm stainless steel with the link bracelet for $249. Is it just me, or is that an insane deal? The status is showing that it has shipped, and it is supposed to be delivered this Saturday.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Tatumje posted:

Best Buy had a first generation 38mm stainless steel with the link bracelet for $249. Is it just me, or is that an insane deal? The status is showing that it has shipped, and it is supposed to be delivered this Saturday.
That was what, like $900 something when new? If you want steel and the bracelet yeah that seems like a good deal, although if you could do without either the S1 would also be an option at that price.

Speaking of expensive official link bracelets at a discount (...but still expensive), anyone interested in a 42mm space black bracelet? Got it with the watch back when space black only came with it but didn't wear it much.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Yeah Best Buy had a BUNCH of absolutely incredible original Apple Watch deals yesterday that ran out of stock in like 30 minutes.

They had 42mm black stainless steel with black milanese loop for $249, I mean, what the poo poo? That watch band alone is $200...

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Tatumje posted:

If you want to save money, you can buy that, get a 38mm S1 for $269 or an 38mm S2 sport, swap the bands and then sell the first gen watch with the sport band for maybe 200ish? You don't save a ton (assuming you go with an S2) because while the stainless steel model is like $949, you'd be settling for a cheaper aluminum case but with a $449 link band. That's...maybe a hundred in savings? I mean you're still getting a watch with the upgraded processor either way, so the savings are more than that.

if you go for a S1 you're saving like $131 on a link band, with a better watch thrown in to boot.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Martytoof posted:

Also try calling your store. Mine was out of the S2 I wanted, but that wound up being because I wanted the nylon strap and they did have a couple with the sport.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I'll probably keep keep the S0 until Series 3. As nice as it would be to have the upgraded specs, I know it will bug me if the band and watch do not match, and I'm not ready to spend $500+ on the stainless steel S2.

Will they do an always-on screen? I wonder if that is a priority at all for future releases.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
100% the band won't change.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I guess my 2012 Macbook Pro non-retina is not new enough to support the Watch unlock. The option isn't even there.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Tatumje posted:

Will they do an always-on screen? I wonder if that is a priority at all for future releases.
Battery tech isn't there yet, I'm sure that was probably #1 on their priority list before being deemed unfeasible with current tech.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Auto-unlock is only for mid-2013 or later Macs with Sierra. I was hoping that my original 2012 rMBP would work with it, but it is not listed on the compatibility list. Unlikely

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Does MacID work fluidly for Watch unlock? I feel pretty left out with my 2012 too.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

eddiewalker posted:

Does MacID work fluidly for Watch unlock? I feel pretty left out with my 2012 too.

Just realized you asked about macid and not the native unlock. Macid is poo poo

WIFEY WATCHDOG fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Sep 23, 2016

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I wonder if Apple is waiting till the release of the Nike edition in late October to give third-parties access to the S2 GPS, just to let Nike Run Club have something special for a bit.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

eddiewalker posted:

MacID is semi-broken in Sierra, go figure! They've got an update coming, though. I use tap to unlock and it enters... something for the password, but it gets rejected.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
How's apple on returns/swaps within the 14 days. Somehow I already got a light scratch on the lower part of the glass. Will they swap it or not likely? I do have Applecare so could always pay for the swap down the road but if I'm in some magic 14 day period I want to take advantage of that.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I just had the haptics stop working? Went into settings, no response when fiddling with settings.

My alarm went off just fine a few hours ago, and restarting the watch fixed it...but I feel like a new watch should not be doing that

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Rorus Raz posted:

I just had the haptics stop working? Went into settings, no response when fiddling with settings.

My alarm went off just fine a few hours ago, and restarting the watch fixed it...but I feel like a new watch should not be doing that

Mine did the same thing right after I got it all set up. After restarting it's been totally fine.

Also, is there any list of "must-have" watch apps? I'm all new to this and I really didn't follow it much so it's been really fun fiddling with all of the settings and stuff.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

comper posted:

Mine did the same thing right after I got it all set up. After restarting it's been totally fine.

Also, is there any list of "must-have" watch apps? I'm all new to this and I really didn't follow it much so it's been really fun fiddling with all of the settings and stuff.

Dark Sky is really good.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Shazam now has a complication and if you keep it in the dock, you can very quickly identify music that's playing around you. So that's pretty cool.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Duckman2008 posted:

Dark Sky is really good.

I wish the Dark Sky complication didn't default to "Rain coming soon!" when it hasn't updated. Weather Underground is free, has decent complications and has radar right on my wrist, but the app seems to be having stability problems right now and I'm patiently waiting for an update.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Dark Sky is the only 100% must have app imho, for the Apple Watch and iPhone. If you want to delve into more health related stuff I've gotten a lot of woke mindfulness out of Lark. And FitMenCook rules as a shareable shopping list not to mention the pretty good recipes and meal plans.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Is it me or do the message response snippets on the watch really suck? If someone ends a sentence in a questionmark, the first options should be yes and no. But it often just gives me random poo poo. Even more bizarrely, I once had it give me these options: yes, maybe, sure, ... They didn't even offer no! And the weird part is that the suggestions in iMessage on the iPhone are spot on, just on the watch they suck. Does it get better over time? I've only had it a couple of days.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Agree with what everyone says about DarkSky. Also I forgot about HeartWatch, it does a better job of giving you access to a lot of the health data your watch collects than the apple tools do.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

LPG Giant posted:

Is it me or do the message response snippets on the watch really suck? If someone ends a sentence in a questionmark, the first options should be yes and no. But it often just gives me random poo poo. Even more bizarrely, I once had it give me these options: yes, maybe, sure, ... They didn't even offer no! And the weird part is that the suggestions in iMessage on the iPhone are spot on, just on the watch they suck. Does it get better over time? I've only had it a couple of days.

They do indeed suck and were actually better in watchOS 2. They worked more like you described there.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Shazam now has a complication and if you keep it in the dock, you can very quickly identify music that's playing around you. So that's pretty cool.

Oh this is nice. I had gotten rid of Shazam years ago once you could do the same with Siri but that doesn't work with Siri on the watch (asks you to unlock the phone)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

LPG Giant posted:

If you mean the canned replies, you can customize those in the Watch app.

• Locked thread