Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiffle
Jan 5, 2014

Omobono posted:

Welp, that seems really stupid.

By the way, is the standard superboss roughly like the one in the original just with adds (because everything has adds here, you'd think this game was the Etrian MMO) or has its moveset been revamped more (and I'm assuming with adds, because see previous point).

It is completely different from the original. But there are adds, how did you guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
That boss is a jerk, and I'm never going to bother fighting it fairly. I looked up a cheese strategy to get the weapon it drops, and I'm satisfied with that.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
the difficulty of atlus games is greatly overstated because telephone hyperbole but that boss is bad and is the logical extreme of eo2u's biggest problem

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

b) Fetus's personal record with the Story party (legitimately one of the best parties for it)

I'm gonna have to disagree with this part. Even if you're discounting cheese methods, the Story certainly has the tools needed to deal with the boss, but they are not one of the best parties for the job. A Classic party can cut down the turn count to 30 turns, simply because they're capable of dishing out more damage per turn.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 7, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 66: idspispopd (Except Without the Smashing Part)

Why do I get the feeling that I picked a really bad time to go exploring?
I dunno, maybe hat guy and his friends shouting about the "loving blue pumpkins" has something to do with it.
I don't get this passage in Colette's anthology... Smirking makes humans and demons incredibly evasive? That makes no sense.
M-maybe smugness is the secret to dodging? I-I mean, just look at Nadia...
RrrRRrrr.

Oh boy oh boy. 28F is my most hated floor in the entire game. It is absolute hell to go through without using a map, and features really annoying, really deadly FOEs.

...Well then. I see you guys weren't exaggerating about this place.
Everywhere looks like a nice spot to just sit down, have a picnic, and take a nap, right?
With all of the monsters about, that nap might go on for longer than you'd like.

Okay, what's with this weird patch of light?
Teleporter.
Yeah, right, sure. This light patch will 100% warp me somewhere when I step on it--

Wah-wah-wah-wee-wah-woah...
Are you okay? Everyone gets disoriented with their first time teleporting...
Oh man, I'm gonna hate this floor, huh?
W-what if that's the only one?
If I hate something, it's basically guaranteed that there's more of it.

I heavily regret all of my life decisions that have led up to this moment.

High Crawler
HP: 974, STR: 67, TEC: 47, VIT: 46, AGI: 38, LUC: 48
Skills:
  • Vile Fangs: Cannot be disabled. Deals 150% melee STR-based bash damage to one target, and lowers the target's non-base evasion by 500 for 4 turns. Damages the user for 90% STR-based bash damage after use. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Hell Thread: Used upon death. Cannot be disabled. Attempts to bind each party member's head, arms, and legs, with a 30% base chance.
Drops:
  • Normal: Damascus Claw. 50% chance. Sells for 1440 en. 1 needed to unlock Ogre Claw (+176 ATK). 2 Slaughter Claws and 4 Damascus Claws needed to unlock Noir Queen (+163 ATK). 10 Golden Horns and 6 Damascus Claws needed to make Full Plate (+88 DEF).
    "Dark caterpillar fangs resembling needles. Only workable by the most skilled artisans."
  • Rare: Soft Black Hide. 30% chance. Sells for 1833 en. 1 needed to make Leather Boots (+30 DEF, +2 TEC, can be equipped by Beasts). 3 Slaughter Claws and 3 Soft Black Hides needed to make Slaughter Collar (+84 DEF). 6 Soft Black Hides and 4 Cat's Eyes needed to make Lunar Coat (+53 DEF).
    "Highly flexible caterpillar hide. Absorbs shock, and is thus used in armors."
  • Ingredient: Curled Bug. 1 given. 1 needed to make Caterpillar Casserole (Western Food 6; allows one more retry upon Game Over).
    "A curled-up caterpillar."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 100%
Disable resistances:
50% 100% 100% 150% 50% 100% 100%
100% 50% 50%
0% 50% 100%

The most fearsome and aggressive of forest caterpillars!

High Crawlers are bad news if you kill them first, or even if they kill themselves with Vile Fangs. You can get really unlucky with Hell Thread and end up with most of your party members' key body parts bound, which can really easily be a game over against the wrong enemies.

...Which two Big Caps aren't in the slightest. Even if everyone got completely bound, these things would still die to a stiff breeze.

Eeeewwwwwwwww. The only reason bugs taste good at Regina's is all the extra stuff.

Okay, that takes care of--

If there's one thing I won't miss when this is all over, it's having my body either restrained or crippled by monsters.

Boink!

Like I said, that could've been much worse if there were other monsters accompanying the High Crawler.

No. Please gods no.

If this floor is nothing but these stupid teleporters, I'm going to punch several walls when we get home.

Yeah, there's teleporters all over the floor that send you to these dead-end corridors, meaning I have to go back down to 27F and then walk back from there.

It's only gonna get worse from here, folks.

Can we just go back home and let the others take care of this?
No.
I'm charging triple...actually, quadruple.
The way this floor's looking right now, fine by me.

Time to play a fun game of "guess which teleporter takes you further into the floor!"

I wonder how long ago we would've just given up if it weren't for this weird magic map.
The first floor, I'd wager...

The bottom one (which I labeled 6) is the correct answer.

This teleporter just takes us back here.

Black Claw
HP: 2823, STR: 65, TEC: 48, VIT: 52, AGI: 43, LUC: 54
Skills:
  • Curse Dance: Uses the arms. Uses the arms. Deals 6-8 instances of 100% melee STR-based cut damage to random targets, including both the party and all enemies besides the caster. Can hit each target once at most. Attempts to inflict cures on hit targets, with a 40% base chance. Has no speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Slaughter Claw. 45% chance. Sells for 1370 en. 15 needed to make Dainsleif (+165 ATK). 20 needed to make Cursed Ring (Immunity to curse). 2 Slaughter Claws and 4 Damascus Claws needed to make Noir Queen (+163 ATK). 3 Slaughter Claws and 3 Soft Black Hides needed to make Slaughter Collar (+84 DEF).
    "Black monkey claw that can cut anything. Through curses, it can be used for many things."
  • Conditional: Perfect Hide (Kill with elemental damage). 80% chance. Sells for 2810 en. 1 needed to make Hymn Cloth (Troubadour ultimate armor; +90 DEF, +40 TP, +2 AGI).
    "Undamaged black hide of a wild clawed monster. If the faintest scratch is made, it's useless."
  • Ingredient: Black Arm. 1-3 given. 4 needed to make Shumai (Chinese Food 6; +80% petrification res). 3 needed to make Black Osuimono (Japanese Food 6; 2x Grimoire Fever chance).
    "Powerful arm meat."
Damage resistances:
150% 150% 150% 150% 150% 150%
Disable resistances:
100% 100% 50% 50% 100% 0% 50%
50% 50% 0%
100% 100% 50%

A ferocious ape whose luxurious coat is very valuable yet fragile.

Black Claws are strange enemies, entirely because of Curse Dance. Curse sucks for your party to get tagged with, yeah, but it can vary for enemies. High Crawlers actually want to be cursed, for example, because it makes it easier for them to suicide on you and then use Hell Thread. Ancient Hermits, like the one here, though, can easily one-shot themselves just by normally attacking someone.

Urrf.
What kinda idiot monster can't avoid hitting other monsters?

...Never mind. The monkey's smarter than that crab.

Isn't that kinda overkill for one monkey?
Eh.

I don't remember why I used Eschaton for that one Black Claw, honestly.

Ooh, a blue pumpkin!
I wouldn't try eating that if I were you, Sophie.
Hat guy and his friends were even more belligerent than usual, shouting about these things...

gently caress THESE loving BLUE PUMPKINS

Wait a minute, where'd it go?
Vanishing FOEs. Sure, I'll take it. That's at least less crazy than some of the other things we've seen.

RRRRRRRRRN!
H-how does a monster even disappear into the scenery...?!

A better question is WHY ARE WE FIGHTING IT?!

I'm not actually going to fight this thing for real. All you need to see for now is how much Terror Pain screws up my party:

We are leaving RIGHT NOW!
Oh, come on, you've got that Healing Touch thing. Just fix us up and we can beat it!

If we die here, it's your fault.

Um, I-I don't think I hurt it... At all...

Cursed Pumpkins have 0% resistance to cut, stab, and bash.

...It tastes kinda like both pumpkins and blueberries, with a hint of pure evil. I dunno how to feel about this.

Note how I have the pumpkin's head and arms bound, as well as the fact that it's panicked. With any other enemy, this would be an incredibly favorable situation.

I hope we have some way of damaging it besides just me...

...The problem is trying to whittle down 18k HP with just Stardust, since Freyja's a non-factor with these things.

Let's...not.

This thing will 100% kill me if I try to war of attrition it.

I'm kinda curious, where's this one go?
Probably straight to somewhere annoying.

Or somewhere pointless. That works too.

How about this one?

Oh, this is gonna be fun if the floor's filled with these things.

Getting past the Cursed Pumpkin just means you have to go in the room when it's somewhere around where it is in this screenshot.

It's been a long, long time since we got something good out of these things.

Gods, why.
Save the despondency for when we actually end up somewhere annoying.

T-two empty corridors side-by-side...
I'm getting flashbacks to the very start of our exploration.
Please no.

The deer corridors but with pumpkins. Uuuuuuugh.
How long of a break are you gonna need after we're done with this floor?
Somewhere between "a few weeks" and "until we finish," I guess.

Rrrrrr?!
S-sorry, Ursa...
R-Realga, please... I can't breathe...
This godsforsaken Labyrinth's bad enough, going through a room where I can't see without clinging to someone is gonna easily lead to me dying!

It's one pumpkin after another.

Rrrgh...
It's not often you hear Realga growling like Ursa.
On the one hand, I want to stay as far away from those pumpkins as possible. On the other hand, having a giant empty spot on the map's going to irritate the hell out of me.
Hrrrgh. Frrn.
Ur...sa? What?
She...just took off with the map...

Hrr.
...Impressive.

Even I can see this is a bad idea.
You never know until you--

Try. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA--
Let's just...go back to town for now.

One rest (in actuality, one day in real life) later...

Wait a minute. Didn't we have a quest about this stone tablet thing? This spot looks pretty suspicious.
SYSTEM: It's a small area of stone floor, and in its center is a square depression. It looks like something would fit inside. You recall that you are carrying a stone tablet for one of the bar's requests... You retrieve it, and compare the two--it appears as though the tablet and the hollow are the same general size and shape. Perhaps if you put the rock into the depression, something will happen.
Well? C'mon and do it already.
SYSTEM: You attempt to fit them together. Everyone gathers around, crouching down to assist you in the placement of the tablet... As you slide the stone into the hollow, you hear a rustling from up ahead! Within moments, you see a small opening. It seems as though you can make your way through... If you feel courageous enough to enter the passage, you may do so.
I see no reason not to...

Fantastic.
SYSTEM: You appear to have found the hidden area, but it doesn't seem to differ too much from this floor's usual scenery. Cass will expect more than this in your report... You should find some evidence or other to take back for him.

This room is special. You can see an Icy Bulb in front of us, but it's actually impossible to clear out the room of the fog--because there's three Icy Bulbs, and even if you kill two of them, it's impossible to corral the last one into a spot where you can kill it.

We wouldn't want to kill all of them anyway, because...

There's a teleporter all the way at the back of the room that you need at least two Icy Bulbs for--one to block the path, and another to push through the teleporter.

Yes, Icy Bulbs can use teleporters just like us, and I'm doing this now because it'll be a requirement for fighting a postgame boss later on.

This kinda looks like...a gravestone? What?
I find it difficult to believe that anyone but us has ever been up here.
Instead of questioning where it came from, how about we read it?
SYSTEM: The language is dense, but understandable. It reads...
TOMBSTONE: He of the stone aerie, he of 50 heads and 100 arms, he who would shatter land and sky, he who devours mortal life, here resteth. Dread ye the loathsome giant's advent, for no man or woman of mortal blood may lay hand upon him... Pray thou that he remain in rest, and stray not into mortal lands. If thou be wise and mindful, then heed ye these words. However, if thy heart dost cry out for bitter vengeance, then steal the vision of his hundred eyes with brume and fog. Only thus may son or daughter of man strike true, and pierce the throat of evil with mortal-forged steel.
SYSTEM: That appears to be all the text on this tablet...
...Okay, what? What did any of that mean?
That was some old, old, OLD-fashioned language, too.
Whatever "resteth" here seems to still be dead. I don't think we should pay this much mind.
SYSTEM: You don't understand what the text is alluding to... However, it seems like this is the most you will be able to find in this secret room. It may be best to head back and report with what you've found.

How'd it go? Yeh find anythin' interestin'?
A stone tablet that had a really, really long...epitaph, I guess.
I wonder how long it took to fit that much text on something that small.
Eh...? A stone tablet, but yeh don't understand what's written on it...? Well, if it's beyond even yeh lot, then how the hell am I s'posed to know? Well, s'pose we should tell the Palace about this tablet, and let them handle the rest of it. I'll go let 'em know. Yeh lot just figure out yer next move! Here's yer reward!

I mentioned this before, but we needed to complete The best-laid plans to unlock a boss later on.

WHYHYHYHYHY?!

Finally, actual progress!
Luca, I think Realga's about to lose it. Even more than that one time we did all those doors and just found a giant empty room.
I can see that, yes.

EEEEEEEeeeeeeeeaaaAAAAAAAAGGGGH!

...Okay, maybe everything isn't so bad.

I was fully expecting to be really disappointed. It's nice to be happily surprised for once!
Food food food food food! Ooh, I wonder what Regina can make from some of the monsters we've run into...
I question how monkey arms can make good cuisine, but that's Apicius for you, I guess.

What you can't see, even if I actually tried to document that room in full, is that there's two pumpkins constantly chasing you. Killing the Icy Bulb is pretty much a death sentence in there.

I've got a bad feeling about this top teleporter.
A-any reason why?
Because hat guy said his guild tried going through it and just ended up all the way back there. See? I already marked it.
...Any reason they couldn't have just told us where all of the trick teleporters were?
They were too busy shouting and sobbing into their mugs to tell me any more than that.

YES! YES! YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Even I was getting really tired of teleporters and fogged rooms over and over.
I get the distinct feeling that the next floor's going to be even worse.
Who cares when I'm not gonna be one of the suckers exploring it?!

The first thing I did upon going back to town was looking at quests.

The studious scholar:

Ah, of course yeh're takin' that request. Heh. I got word that the Master Craftsman's Scholar piece has turned up.
Oh?
If yeh can get the Scholar, yeh'll have four pieces in yer hands. The Princess piece will be just a hop and a skip away. So, there's a scholar at the bar that's studyin' the lifestyles of monsters. That's yer client, so go ask for the details. And...one thing. The requester's kinda...skittish, so don't just go thunderin' over there, awright?

Shadow of the castle:

I'm so glad yeh're takin' that quest... Yeh're probably the only ones that could do anythin' about it. Remember that weird tablet yeh found in that hidden room on the 28th floor?
The one we just did?
The Palace heard what happened, and they went to go investigate with some other adventurers and the guard corps. The moment they got their hands on that tablet, some...thing came at 'em. Wasn't like anythin' else of this world... After that, things got...messy. Not a single drat guard or adventurer made it outta there alive.
...Whoops.
The Palace keeps sendin' out more guards, but they can't do anythin' against a terrible beast like that... Ain't anyone else they can turn to...except yeh lot. Yeh always get the job done, don't yeh...? If yeh could take care of this...it'd be a huge help. Anyways, yeh can go to the Duke's Palace if yeh wanna hear more about it. G'luck!

In a little bit, Cass.

The ancient blade:

Oh, it's yeh lot. Yeh remember the sharpener that left me a quest? Well, looks like we got another one from him. This one's even worse than the last one! He only left me a barebones request with no clues or anythin'. Bring me Flame Marrow that you can get from Salamander...that's all this note says. He probably wants yeh to bring them to his place once yeh get the goods. I guess yeh get the idea, but I sure woulda liked him to write out some kinda details. Without the details, I gotta read it, and interpret it, and play this guessin' game with yeh lot. drat irritating, eh?
Um, isn't interpreting this stuff your job?
...Yeh know, yeh lot are pretty annoyin' yerselves. Awright, I get it, I get it. Go get the job done.

Good thing we can kill Salamander ludicrously easily now.

Fair-skinned woman:

Uh, are you the one that posted that quest?
Huh...? Uh, uhm... D-Did you... I-I mean, were you talking to m-me...?
...Yes.
Um, uhm, uhh, I-I'm sorry...but... Could it be that, um...you came because you saw the request I put up...?
Yup.
Y-You see, I'm a monster researcher... And, um...there's...something I-I really want to...ask...a guild...to do for me... C-Could you please show me your Codex!?
Y-yeah, sure.
Th-Thank you...so much!

D-Do...do you all love...monsters...too...?
Uh...
Do I?!
Is that so!? What do you think of Rafflesia!? Isn't the way it squirms just fascinating!? And the way it just sits there, too! Completely still! Simply marvelous! And that Fishman...why, it looks the best of all of them! It's so amazing! I could watch it all day!
I know, right?!
...*giggle* Oh, I-I'm sorry... I guess I was so happy I started crying a little... A lot of people tell me I shouldn't like such weird stuff, or it's not ladylike, so I don't often meet people who enjoy it like I do... I'm really glad that I met you... Maybe I can finally have some confidence in myself... I-I'm sorry for saying weird things... But I was just really glad to hear that from you... And um... This is all for your quest. I was so moved by how many monsters I saw... Thank you very much. Um... Please, make sure you treasure all your encounters with monsters, okay? Now, um, excuse me...
...W-were you talking about eating monsters, Sophie?
Yeah? How else would I be talking about monsters?

Oh! Mission complete, eh? Haw haw! She cowers if yeh even look at her funny, but she's still interested in monsters... Aren't ordinary folks scared of 'em? I guess explorers are all used to monsters by now. Bump into a snarlin' beast, and they just don't give a crap, eh? Huh? Of course, I'm talking about yeh! Ahaw haw haw haw haw! Hey, hey, don't get mad, I'm sorry, awright? Here's the reward. Go on, take it and go!

DID YOU GET THE LAST CHESS PIECE?!
Gah! Yes we did, why did you storm into the bar all of a sudden?!
Ooooooh yes, c'mon, gimme! I gotta shove it right in that noble's face.
...If you say so.

Hmhmhm... The goldsmith's pieces truly are beautiful... And the Princess is the jewel of the collection... What sophistication and beauty...! Hmhmhmhmhm...
Hey, buddy, we're back. Gimme the Princess now.
Oh, it's you again... But I've been quite clear! You have nothing in your possession worth the--
Eat it.
...Wh-Wh...!? Y-Y-You! Th-Those are the rest of the legendary goldsmith's...!? Guard, Garrison, Duke, Knight, and even the Scholar...a-and they all appear to be quite genuine... T-To actually collect the full set... I'm a man of my word. I promised you a trade, and a trade you shall have. Here...the Princess piece.

Hee hee hee, thank you for the piece. Look at how shiny and beautiful it is! Look at how much you don't own it now!
Nadia, come on, let's go turn in the quest.
But I'm not done flaunting!
I'm sorry, my darling princess... We'll meet again one day...

Ahhh, welcome back! Well, now... I didn't think yeh'd be able to scare up a Princess! I've never in my life seen one of these... Great work! I knew Lumen could do it! Wish I could keep it... I'd never have let my old Guard go if I knew this'd happen... *sniff*
So, uh, how about that reward? It looked pretty important.
Eh? The reward? Aw, I was trying to pretend I forgot! Haw haw! Ah, relax. Just kiddin'... It's a pretty hefty reward... The client was a knight who saved High Lagaard a bunch of times. He always said he'd offer one of his treasures if it'd be of use to the explorers. I s'pose the Labyrinth is part of High Lagaard, too... Well, I'm glad yeh lot were the ones to do the quest! I couldn't just hand out one of our national treasures to some random joes, could I? Here it is...the best axe yeh'll ever see in High Lagaard! The Yggdrasil Axe!
Ooh, it looks pretty! ...It's sharp, too!
W-why did you test that?
Shame that Zack detests using axes now, he probably could've made decent use of this.
Oh well, it's another thing for our ever-growing pile of garbage at the cafe.
I'll be counting on yeh lot even more now!

Given that the true ultimate axe has an HP and VIT bonus in exchange for a few less points of ATK than the Yggdrasil Axe, you could make an argument for preferring the Yggdrasil Axe on an Axe Landsknecht.

Cass, something that smells really strong, please.
...Whuh, huh!? For a second, I thought I saw my old grandma waving to me from beyond the grave...what's in this drink? Oh, Lumen? Huh? Did I...did I pass out again?
Correct.
Seriously, I'm always in your debt... Heh heh. I usually give my Lilly some exotic food, but it's something different today. See, by defeating a Trihorn while it's cursed, you get this Cursed Horn! I had to beg Marmott again and again to get her to curse that thing for me... Still, I guess it was worth it in the end. It'll be an absolutely perfect fit with my brave, adorable Lilly! Hah... I can't stop thinking about how cute she'll look with this. Lilly really is...an angel.
Rrrr...
I think Ursa's upset we don't pamper her as much as Tramonte pampers Lilly.

Let's close out with 29F dialogue.

Oh, that reminds me! I heard the news! You made it to the 29th floor, didn't you? Is that...almost the top?
Given that every stratum's been five floors long so far, I'd guess "yes."
What are you planning on doing once you reach the top? Are you...thinking about leaving this place?
I've spent enough of my life in these frigid mountaintops. I wanna go travel the world with Stardust when we're done with this.
I...honestly have no clue what I'll do when we're done...
Travelling at least the continent looking for new foods sounds fun!
...You know, we're actually a bit shorthanded here at the inn. If it's alright with you, you're always welcome to come work here, you know. Room and board would be on the house! And I know my daughter would love for you to stay.
Mmmmm...
Give it some thought. I won't force you, of course, but... You're practically family to us, you know!

Someone's sounding stiff and professional today.
...Hee hee, did I surprise you? Another shopkeeper said something like that to me when I was out shopping with dad. It made them sound really sophisticated, so I decided to try it too! When I said the same thing to Dad, he looked so surprised! Hmm...it doesn't really feel right, though. It sounds a little strange coming from me, doesn't it? But I thought I'd do it at least once more, so that you could hear it! Hee hee... I hope I didn't throw you off too badly. Please take your time and look around!

This cafe serves food made from the ingredients gathered by the realm's heroes! ...Or so they say.
D-does that annoy you?
Hm? Oh, no, I have no problems with that. As long as they try the food, they'll figure out that it's good on its own. It's pretty funny to see those that aren't expecting much from the cooking take a bite. Their jaws drop, and eyes widen. Hahaha...

I cooked some foods.

Hermit Sugata-zukuri makes it so that Fire, Ice, and Volt Jars are infinite use. Absolute garbage, why would you take this over the Attack Item Up effect?

Black Osuimono doubles the chances of Grimoire Fevers occurring. Again, I must ask, why use this over the DLC if you have the DLC?

It took us FOREVER to get past that stupid teleporter fog floor, but we're finally moving again. 29F, here everyone-but-me comes.
drat... it goes that high up, eh...? Wonder how that Yggdrasil thing even got there in the first place... I hear rumors here and there, but it's gettin' harder to tell what's the truth and what's just a story. I can't even imagine what the truth behind it is... It's the kinda thing that keeps a man up at night. What do yeh think?
Well, I'unno, what do YOU think, Cass?
Eh...? I'm the one asking the question here! Whaddaya mean 'What do I think'? I dunno, that's why I'm asking yeh! Yeh making fun of me or something!? Arrgh, now I can't stop thinkin' about it again! C'mon, yeh know the secrets, don't yeh? Just give me a hint. That's all I want.
Given what lied at the bottom of Ginnungagap, everyone's probably better off not knowing.

Good typo. Good copy-paste, too.

(In the original EO2, your guild basically unleashes a bunch of monsters out of the Forbidden Wood and near the city by trying to go further. That got dropped in EO2U, but Marion still talks about it.)

Nnnnnnnnooooo?
...Hm, well let me tell you something.

Someone at Atlus USA didn't do their message box length check properly.

(EO games don't automatically do word-wrapping, the writers have to manually insert linebreaks where applicable to stop dialogue from overflowing out of the text box.)

There is no need for you to falter. You should finish this the way you see fit. Even if the results will gather criticism, as long as you don't waver... That is all that is necessary. Well, that is all I have to say. If you need nothing else, then I won't keep you further.

Dubois greets us with his Shadow of the castle text.

No, no, it's not illness. You needn't worry. Now then, is there something you wish?
We're here about that ancient monster quest?
The...request, you say!? Absolutely not! I intend to have the area sealed off, so that there is no further bloodshed! I thought I had taken down that request already. We cannot afford to risk any more... I have made a grave miscalculation.
Aw, what?
...Listen, members of Lumen. You are the heroes of this country. You represent more than simply explorers. If we were to lose you, on top of all we have already sacrificed, then there would be no possible redemption...
C-can you at least tell us what happened specifically?
...I cannot. Please, as a favor to me, I ask that you reconsider.
...No. We've fought far worse than whatever this thing could be. If you won't brief us on the details, we'll just go out and kill it on our own.
...You're right... You are not simply explorers, you're heroes. I'd be taking away your purpose... In which case... please, forgive me for dispatching you to these dangerous lands! That...thing appeared on the 28th floor, and it tore apart both guards and adventurers alike. Its name is Hecatoncheires. The old documents call it a monster born from the evil within the castle. It seems Hecatoncheires assaulted the one who gave him life, and was made a prisoner in that forest. But now... he has escaped his chains, and feasts on our guards and explorers! At each count of the casualties in the beast's attacks, our situation looks more and more bleak... We cannot afford another loss! I am relying on you all to come back safely! On my honor as a Minister, may your quest be successful!

Hecatoncheires, or "that thing most people I talk to about EO2U can't spell."

Anyhow, Dubois's normal dialogue.

Nothing. We just told Marion that, too. Why does everyone think we look upset?
Maybe because we just went through that teleporter and fog hell?
Hrm, judging by your faces... You may have done something that you greatly regret, no?
No!
...Well, I will not press the issue. Regardless of your decisions, we will stand behind them, and support you. Whatever the matter is, don't worry, and press onward. Do what must be done.
Are you trying to, like, reverse-psychology us out of fighting Hecatoncheires?!

I'm sure you could infer this, but next time: Hecatoncheires.

Rea fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 14, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Expecting a Hecatoncheires vote here? Unfortunately, for the remainder of the LP, there will be no more voting for floor or boss parties. Several of the upcoming bosses and floors (pretty much all of them, really) are intensely annoying and I'd rather tailor-make a party that can just stomp them effortlessly.

Hell, I might even be reduced to Stigmata + Ecstasy cheese one last time for a certain red dragon...

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

You know, the weird part about the reused dialogue is that they aren't complete copy and pastes. If you compare the script with the original game, the wording is a bit different. I wonder if it was the original Japanese script, or the localization that was slacking here.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Dr. Fetus posted:

You know, the weird part about the reused dialogue is that they aren't complete copy and pastes. If you compare the script with the original game, the wording is a bit different. I wonder if it was the original Japanese script, or the localization that was slacking here.

Atlus is good with the script usually, so it might be lazy localization on Atlus USA's part. God knows it shows in their earlier games and it's shown it's ugly head in their newest titles too. I hope that SMT4:A's localization doesn't wind up lazy by the end-game...gently caress SMT4's Neutral Route, by the by, that poo poo was insane busy work that made me put down the game for longer than I want to admit and wound up restarting my file.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Oh Belamy. Continue to throw the salt. It's so delicious on my popcorn. :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A mapless room with thorn floors. Ouch. That's one of them there player endurance tests.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Bonus: DLC

So there are a bunch of quests that can only be accessed through DLC. Most of these just include new boss fights, most of which aren't that interesting. This did not prove to be popular with the Japanese audience, so EO5 ended up limiting the DLC stuff to cosmetics and grinding. Anyways, here's the first one we're tackling. The Story party won't pipe up until we enter the 3rd floor.

Hm? What's with that look?
Well, I was thinking about the request we accepted at the bar. If this bird can talk... then it must be quite intelligent indeed. I feel this is going to be a dangerous opponent.

Yeah, that makes sense.
Ah, so you think so as well. This fight may be unlike anything we've faced before.
Some birds talk normally. Birds like parrots and parakeets… They mimic the cries of what's near them. Crows can do it too. It's not a rare phenomenon. Not rare enough to the point to laugh out loud about it like Mr. Bartender.
...Ah, truly?
Well, talking or not... if someone's put a bounty out on it, then it's bound to be tough. Looks like we better brace ourselves...
...Even though that's gonna be a real pain to do.
Old man, you really didn't need to add that last part...

Could that be the talking bird that we heard about at the bar...?
Sounds about right. Doesn't look like it's hostile, but keep your guard up. There've already been some casualties.

You nod at Bertrand's words, keeping your defenses up while approaching the beast cautiously.

It then slowly opens its great beak...

It's a real shame I can't record 3DS footage, because this bird has voice acting. In fact, it's ability to talk was used as a selling point for this DLC.

Cock-a-doodle-doo?
Good heavens! You appear human, and yet you cannot speak in human tongue...!?
This is weird enough without you making things more complicated... Though I wasn't expecting the chicken to play along...
Look, just what in the world are you? I... think you're a monster, but am I wrong?
What am I, hm...?

At Bertrand's question, the bird looks wistfully off into the distance.

That is truly a difficult question, for even I do not have the answer. This is because... I am a bird with no past. I know that this is the Yggdrasil Labyrinth, yes, and that I can understand the language of you humans... but I know not my origin. Though I remember nothing, I do know what it is that I yearn for most of all...

“Look, we put a giant talking bird in the game. Just go with it.”

...I'm definitely going to regret asking, but... what's that?
A good question! Yes, my heart's truest desire... is battle! The thought makes my blood boil, my body tense, and my feathers quiver! What I truly yearn for... is a clash of life and death! I've fought countless Labyrinth monsters to the death, but none of them were enough to satisfy my need for a true opponent! And then, as I despaired for lack of a true test of skill and power... you explorers appeared before me! Ah, explorers! Truly paragons of your kind! Some fight alone as individuals, and others fight as a horde to aid each other! Such tactical might, such spectacular skills, such raw power! Ah, it makes the flames in my heart blaze anew!

Wh-What amazing passion...!
So... basically, you can talk, but you're just fighting random people like any ordinary monster.
Mm! Absolutely correct!
The truth comes out... But I never thought that request would actually be true. A talking bird, rampaging through the labyrinth...
A request!? A request quest of conquest!? So, you've come to stand against me!? In a death-defying battle of wills!?

You are correct, sir!
Oho...! Ahh...! Yes... I feel the passion in your words, my friend! It is the same as the burning spirit within my own heart!
...Now you've got it treating us like we're the same way...

Here's the main gimmick of this DLC quest aside from fighting a giant talking chicken (rooster?). Master Bird will give you an item upon being defeated. The less party members you defeat him with, the better the reward.

Sir Knight, what should we do?

In Classic Mode, you have to come with the preferred amount of party members before the fight. Story Mode just lets you choose which party members you want to fight with if you opt for the 2v1 or 1v1 options. The rewards are as follows:

Fighting with 3 or more people will net you a Bronze Belt, an accessory that gives the user 30 HP and +2 to all stats.

Fighting with 2 people will net you a Silver Belt, an accessory that gives the user 60 HP and +3 to all stats.

Fighting with 1 person will net you a Gold Belt, an accessory that gives the user 100 HP and +5 to all stats.

If you have the Original Sin DLC and are planning on tackling that, I highly recommend farming Gold Belts for your entire party.

If you're looking for an Expert solo kill in Story mode, the best candidate for the fight is Flavio. No I'm dead serious, he really is the best person for the fight. If you're thinking Knight could solo Master Bird... Well, you're not wrong, but it would require quite a bit of optimization and more luck than just bringing Flavio. If you want to know the details on pulling off a solo kill on this guy, read Ragnar Homsar's LP. He shows how. As for me, I'll be fighting him with the Guild Guild.

Indeed... Let us have it witness our strength as a team... as a guild!
Indeed, that is a fine form of combat! Very well--show me your strength as a horde. Come forth, Guild Guild! Let us begin this deadly dance in the vortex of war!

I'll spare you the details of the fight.

You did not merely add your strengths, but multiplied each others'... Together, you were stronger than any single one could be! This... This is why battle drives me on! This is why adventurers inspire me onward!

With that triumphant bellow, the crested bird rises from its defeated slump, and begins to quietly flap its wings...!

You did not merely add your strengths, but multiplied each others'... Together, you were stronger than any single one could be! This... This is why battle drives me on! This is why adventurers inspire me onward!
I-It lost... but it's happy?
Certainly! How could I not rejoice? There yet remain many more powerful heroes in this world! I am weak. Yes... a mere weakling. However... I have met those who stand at the horizon of true power! That is enough for me to forge ahead, to greater challenges and a new world of battle!
Ooookay...?
Now, take this! Another adventurer had left it behind, but it should be owned by those of true strength.

Farewell, mighty hero! When we meet again... I will be unlike what I am now! I shall train myself even further, until the glorious day I can surpass you! My friends... We shall briefly part until then. I will depart for an unknown training ground!

What could this be...? It was indeed a vicious battle, yet... an odd, refreshing feeling remains in my heart...
...Yes! It was a wonderful fight!

I agree.
Yes! I'm looking forward to the day we meet Sir Bird again!
U-Uhh... Are you... serious...?
But what about the request? In the end, we didn't even finish that thing off...
...Oh my.
The chicken said it was going off somewhere unknown.
...It's probably not going to cause any more trouble. So the request is pretty much complete.
W-Well... I guess we did defeat it, after all.

You have completed the quest! When you have time, you should visit the bar to report your progress.

Next up is this quest.

Trand hates the cold. Right?
drat right. Winter is like nature flipping us off. My fingers get numb, my hands stick to my armor after I wash my face...
...It wouldn't be a problem if you just wiped your hands. And you're washing your face with your armor on? Pretty lazy, old man.
You even know how much trouble I have to go through every morning...? You wouldn't understand. You barely have any armor. Dammit. It's not like I wanted to become a protector in the first place.
Hmhmhm... It seems like Sir Bertrand and the winged ones are alike in their distaste for more wintry conditions.
...Hm. I must remark, however, that the winged ones are dressed rather lightly. I cannot imagine it keeps out the cold. Perhaps we should prepare some scarves or gloves to give to them?

...Shouldn't you suggest clothes first?
Yes, I had considered it... but it would be terribly hard for them to wear sweaters and such with those great wings of theirs.
True, clothes sound painful... Maybe if you put holes in the back?
Hm... But if the clothing must have holes in order for them to wear it, would that not invalidate its purpose to keep the cold out?
...True.
It's all well and good to worry about the winged ones, but we'll have to figure out how we're going to deal with the cold too...
*sigh* Welp. I can already tell this is going to get ugly.

Normally, the air would be filled with beautiful pink blossoms, but instead a relentless snowfall is drifting down!

Whoa!? It's seriously snowing here...
Cold.
How mysterious. Snow falling down amidst the blossoms of spring flowers... What a breathtaking sight.
Y-Yeah, I'm sure it looks p-pretty... b-but I'm f-f-freezing!

Gazing around at the curious anomaly, you hear a familiar voice echo from above...

Guild Guild. It seems you accepted our request.
A pleasure to see you again, Sir Canaan.
The curious happenings on this floor... Is it the work of this creature? The one that brings winter wherever it goes?
Indeed, you surmise correctly. We call it the Frost King. Snowfall follows that monster. Its apparent desire is to freeze all things.
Talk about a nuisance...
Mm, truly. We attempted to banish it ourselves... but we could not make it past the punishing cold.
E-Even flying, you couldn't do it!?
...If there's that much snow cover around it, we might be in real danger if we don't go in fully prepared.
No, that is... not precisely why. Though the temperature falls lower and lower the closer one gets, there was no sign of accumulated snowfall around it.
Then, why?
...We do not... handle the cold well.

Clothes might help.
Clothes...?
You don't know what clothes are? It's what we're wearing. You wear a lot when it's cold and then you get warm.
Ah, you mean that... oppressive-looking cloth you are adorned with. I had imagined them a strange custom of the earthbound ones, but to think it acts as protection against the cold...
...I'd say it's stranger to just stroll around without clothes...
Um, if you'd like... why not wear this scarf to counteract the cold? I would presume that the falling snow if quite trying for you too, Sir Canaan.
Scarf, you say...? A rather thin piece of cloth, that.
Oh, do you not know how to wear it? You simply do this, and drape here... There, you wrap it around you neck like that.
You see, this shall keep you warm, without being terribly uncomfortable for your wings!
Uh, earthbound one. I do appreciate your consideration, but...
Please, feel free to use it!
......Ah. Erm. Perhaps later.

With that, Canaan quickly extricates himself from the scarf wrapped around his neck. ...It seems it wasn't to his liking.

I have heard that the earthbound ones are strong against the cold. Thus, I believe you can successfully reach the Frost King. May I borrow your map? According to our investigation, it seems it's holding position somewhere around... here. Well then, I bid you good luck.

Oh, he's gone... How unfortunate. I had prepared some gloves as well.
...I think that's why he left.
Looks like they don't like clothes.
Their home's probably always been warm, so it hasn't really been an issue for them... Maybe that's why this frost thing is such a big threat to them.
A monster that calls forth winter... correct?
The winged ones cannot abide this cold. Let us defeat it as quickly as possible, for their sake!

You decide to head to the area indicated by Canaan to defeat the monster called the Frost King.

Aside from the Stratum getting a blue filter placed over the screen and bringing in the particle effects from the 3rd Stratum, nothing really changes on this floor. The encounters aren't any different, and there aren't really any map gimmicks that you have to deal with. Just head straight over to the boss room.

The closer we get, the lower the temperature drops... It's just as Sir Canaan said.
This must be the Frost King...!

When the monster notices your presence, it growls lowly, coldly glaring in your direction!

G-Gah--all it did was look at us, and now it's twice as cold...!? ...No wonder the winged ones just gave up and went back, if it got this bad...
If you ask this old man, they... tch... had the right idea! Why don't we... just head back?

...Yeah, let's get out of here.

You can certainly see Bertrand's point. Just as you're ready to turn and retreat, the Frost King lets out a mighty roar!

...Tch. Looks like it's not about to let us go.
After we've gotten this far, there's no way it's going to just ignore us!
If you're cold, then let's hurry up and beat it. As long as Mr. Cold is here, it'll keep getting colder.
At this rate, we'll just freeze...
Yes, we must fight for the sake of the suffering winged ones!

Now, take your weapons in hand and fulfill your duty! Slay the monster that calls forth winter!

I kill the Frost King.

As the Frost King collapses with a bitter cry of pain, the raging winds cease, and the snow fades softly away. In its place, a warm gentle breeze blows through the area...

Look, Sir Knight! The flowers are returning...

As if beckoned by the changing winds, the buds on the trees blossom one by one, and their vivid color returns to them! Wafting on the new winds, the soft aroma of fresh flowers fills the room...

...Amazing.
This is... impressive, but it doesn't make any sense that things are reverting now... The Labyrinth really is a mystery.
Well, it's beautiful, so... don't be such a grouch for once. Just think of it as our reward.

As you gaze at the flowers, you hear the familiar sound of flapping wings.

Mm... Yes, this temperature feels most pleasant.

Canaan inhales, slowly and steadily, then exhales with a satisfied expression. He then turns to face you.

Once again, I must thank fate for your intervention. Some among our clan had already fallen ill due to the cold. We have sent a token of our gratitude to the establishment you call a bar. When you return to town, please find it there. ...But indeed, this exchange of tokens, and the strange garb you call 'clothing'... Earthbound ones truly are bizarre.

We could say the same for you.
...Hm, you have a point. To the eyes of outsiders, we too must seem quite unusual. Well then, Guild Guild. May the blessings of Father Sun and Mother Moon be upon you.

And with that, Canaan spreads his wings as he did when greeting you, and flies into the skies above.

...The winged ones are pretty different, but they sure are quick to understand, huh...
It's probably partly the way they think, you know? If their Sun or Moon or Star or whatever says something, then it's decided.
...I'm a little envious of them, in a way. Whenever something happens, you can just blame it on the Star's will.
For example... is it like this?
I wish to eat tons and tons of delicious food, because the Star decreed it.
My! It seems your Star has decreed something quite fortunate for you, Dame Chloe.
Huh. Then, I want to sleep all I want and never have to work. Because, you know, the Star decreed it.
...You know, if Canaan heard you saying that stuff, I think he'd probably get pretty angry.

Stars and decrees aside, it appears you have completed the quest. Return to the bar when you have time, and report your success!

Here is the next DLC quest.

Sounds like it really hit them hard...
Even if they got knocked around a little, I'd say they're lucky to have gotten back alive.

Don't scare him like that.
Scare him? This old man's just speaking the truth. Considering the casualties so far, it's best we know what we're up against and get as prepared as we need to.
Indeed... Many have fallen victim to its attacks, after all.
In any case, we need to first see the real thing. No use getting scared of whatever we think it's going to be like.
W-Well, yeah, but...
I mean, we're not scared!? Right, Knight? Right!?

Flavio's freaking out.
H-Hold on! I just told you, I'm not scared at all!
Flavio. Relax.
Grrr...
Alright, alright. That's enough messing around from you guys. We've got a job to do here.
We need to head for the 7th floor in the forest, correct? Well then, shall we get going?

We were told that the monster would surely be just beyond this point... no?
Yep. This should be it... But I don't sense the presence of any strong monsters around the place...
We oughta stay cautious anywhow. There's no mistake that it's been injuring guards and explorers already.

If you plan on proceeding on, you will need to exercise extra caution. If you are resolved to confront this vicious monster, then proceed onward!

You barely manage to dodge, but you can feel its trailing heat scald you even in passing. Its power must be immense...

...That was sudden. And dangerous.
That arrow's speed was insane...! If we get hit by one of those, it might all be over.

What shot that arrow... appears to be a grotesquely fused being, comprised of both humanoid and equine form. You've never seen a creature like this before... It is clear that this is the beast you have come to slay!

What should we do? If it's shooting at us from range, we will have difficulty even getting within striking distance!
But we can't do a thing unless we get near it! Somehow, we've got to close in on it...!

You must dodge the centauroid monster's punishing volley as you proceed onward!

Okay, so the gimmick of this DLC is that the room we're in is a puzzle. If we get in the Thunder Queen's sights, she'll prep an arrow. Next turn, she'll shoot the arrow, and if we're in the way, we take a lot of damage. But she can't move for one turn after shooting. So you have to navigate around the rocks to get to her.

This auto-walk path I've drawn shows you how to get to the Thunder Queen without taking any damage.

I kill the Thunder Queen.

...That completes the request.
H-Heheh...! Yeah! Archer against archer. Skill against skill. No way I was gonna lose!
That was pretty close, though.
Hrgh.
Don't worry, Sir Flavio! Perhaps you cannot craft lightning into arrows or shoot extremely long distances... But you are assuredly the best Survivalist of all the ones I know!
H-Hrrrgh...

Wanna try and shoot some lightning?
M-Maybe... I-If I use a Grimoire Stone...!?

Flavio's rivalry aside, it would seem you have completed the request. Return to the bar when you have time and report your success!

Yeah, this DLC along with the Frost King DLC isn't all that interesting compared to some of the later ones. Of course it makes sense when these things were essentially re-purposed scrapped bosses. Although considering how those pieces of DLC are handled, perhaps that was for the best. Alright, so what's next?

...Actually, you know what? I'll save the rest for later.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 21, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Eldritch Hound DLC. :argh:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I don't understand exactly how the Thunder Queen works. Does she shift north and south to track your movement that way?

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Glazius posted:

I don't understand exactly how the Thunder Queen works. Does she shift north and south to track your movement that way?

Yeah, pretty much. If you stay on the same horizontal line as her, she'll prep it then. Bit hard to see on the map, but there are straight roads without any debris or rubble or anything, and that's where she'll shoot the arrow.

Also the Eldritch Hound is a special kind of :atlus: for Untold 2 :argh:

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The Eldritch Hound DLC. :argh:
The Eldritch Hound DLC. :allears:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
For the record, Eldritch Hound is one of the DLCs I'm skipping, because both the fight and what happens after it annoy me immensely.

Also the equipment you can make from the "boss" is absolute garbage.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I can't even remember what equipment I got from that quest.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Most of the equipment from the DLC quests aren't really anything to write home about. The exceptions are the Bikini Armor from the Hot Springs DLC, and the Gold Belts from Master Bird. And that's mainly if you plan on tackling the Original Sin DLC fair and square (You are a madman if you do this.) Though the Bikini Armor is really good for Beasts throughout the game.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

So are you guys just going to do a cursory glance over all the DLC and not properly show it off? I don't blame you since most of it is garbage, or is Fetus just doing a quick Story bit with any DLC Ragnar will cover?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Fetus is (to my knowledge) showing off the DLC I don't want to do fully.

This includes that one.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

So are you guys just going to do a cursory glance over all the DLC and not properly show it off? I don't blame you since most of it is garbage, or is Fetus just doing a quick Story bit with any DLC Ragnar will cover?

I'm basically playing cleanup duty and will go in depth on the stuff Ragnar isn't covering.

This is why I didn't cover the other bits of DLC in that update. I was originally just going to cover the cutscenes, but then Ragnar said he didn't want to do the rest of the DLC.

And yes, I'm going in depth on all of the post-game DLC. :suicide: (Eldritch Hound isn't that bad compared to Treasures Untold or The Original Sin, though it's still pretty bad.)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uKIeamPi2Y

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Bonus: The Eldritch Hound

Okay, this update will be covering this piece of DLC. And since Ragnar Homsar won't be covering it in his LP, I'll go into detail on it myself.

Heheh, glad yeh lot are takin' that one for me! This quest is made for yeh. Huh? Why, yeh ask? ...Uhm... Uh... Well, yeh see, the client is a stuffy scholar type. I ain't too good at dealin' with him. ...Haw haw haw! Half the time, I got no drat idea what's comin' out of his mouth! Well, I ain't too bad at runnin' a shop, but I was never really much for studyin', eh? Haw haw haw! The scholar's in here havin' a drink. Let's see... the fella over there, in the white hood. Can't miss 'em. Heheh, sorry about that... Anyhow, g'luck!

...You must be the guild that accepted the quest. Call me Ryle. I'm something of a researcher of Yggdrasil. Now... Let me get straight to the facts of the matter. What I'd like to ask of you is to restore a certain seal that exists inside the Yggdrasil. It was apparently created to seal off monsters referred to as the Hounds of Tindalos... And recently, there's been reports of the seal in question being broken. There's no way for us to know precisely what happened in the forest, but you can see this is something of an emergency. My sources state... the once-sealed monster hunts for power to endlessly self-replicate. The forest would soon be overrun by them. If it can truly multiply itself in such a way, then I doubt the damage will be contained to the forest for long... It's possible the monsters would advance out of the Labyrinth, into High Lagaard and beyond... To prevent that from happening, we must restore the seal by moving its stones back to their proper places. Simple, in theory. Reportedly, the seal's original shape was a perfect circle. Our aim, then, is to restore it to that shape. According to the documents, the barrier exists somewhere in the southeast on the 12th floor. I've heard you're quite famed throughout the city for your abilities... but I suggest you still exercise caution.

Incidentally, Ryle shares a voice actor with a character from EOU. I'll go more into detail on that later.

Also yes, that is indeed a reference to one of H.P. Lovecraft's works. Not the first time this series has done something like that either (See EO3.)

Hmm...
Flavio, you've been acting weird ever since we left. What're you grunting about?
Well, it's about the requester from before... His face was covered by his hood, but I could swear I've seen him before. But I don't have any acquaintances in High Lagaard, and the name Ryle doesn't really ring a bell either...
Hmm... hey, Knight, what do you think?

The requester is a liar!
Huh!? Wait, does that mean this request itself is a lie too!?
C'mon, get a grip. Cass checks up on these things as best he can. I think he'd know if this guy was a fake.
O-Oh, right... so this Ryle person probably has a clean background, then.
Maybe it's just my imagination...? We've never left the Midgard Library, so how would we know some guy over here?
Well then, let us first check this seal. He did mention that High Lagaard might be threatened. We cannot allow that!
Restoring a seal's original shape, huh... Hope we haven't bitten off more than we can chew, here.
We need to go check that.
All this about seals and barriers sounds a bit fun. I'm very intrigued.
Yeah, we'd better check what's going on. Southeast on the 12th floor, right? Let's get going then, Knight!

With Flavio urging you on, you resume your exploration towards your objective.

Could this be the way to the seal that Sir Ryle spoke of?
Seems like it.
But... something smells weird.

Chloe wrinkles her nose in disgust, and you suddenly become aware of an unpleasant, pungent odor.

...Might be the smell of whatever's waiting up ahead.
Hounds of Tindalos, huh... Even the name alone sounds pretty intimidating. We'll have to be extra careful as we move ahead.

You concur with Flavio - absolute caution should be the order of the day if you are to progress further on this path. If you are fully prepared to face a vicious monster, then go forth!

G-Gah... it smells horrible... I-I'm tearing up...

It's big. A ball made of stone...? But a piece has been chipped off.
Great. The seal's original shape was a perfect circle, huh...? That mean we just need to fix this thing?
I hope the chipped off piece is not far...
It may be close by. Perhaps we should search around for it?

You begin searching through the hidden area in order to locate the missing fragment of the seal.

Spoiler alert: It's at the very end. But take the time to familiarize yourself with the area and make a good map of it first before heading there. Oh and the random encounters in this area are the same as the rest of this floor, so don't worry too much about them.

What is that? Could that be the Hound of Tindalos?
I-I'm afraid I don't see anything remotely doglike about it...
The guy who named it probably wasn't going off of appearance. But that's not important. Look--its feet.
At its feet...?
Oh, is that... the piece of the seal!?

Indeed, the fragment at its feet appears to be the missing piece of the spherical seal! To make matters worse, the monster is carefully poised before the shard, as if protecting it... It seems that if you wish to acquire the missing seal fragment, you will have to defeat this creature first. You can challenge the Hound of Tindalos to a fight immediately, or you can wait and simply observe.

Interesting, it has a yellow aura instead of the purple one used to denote bosses.

Here's my food and party setup for this fight. If you aren't at level 99, don't bother engaging it.

Here we go.

Tindalos
Level: 99
HP: 135000
STR: 95
TEC: 90
VIT: 70
AGI: 58
LUC: 63
Exp: 666666
Skills:
  • Power Needle: Cannot be disabled. Deals 130% melee STR-based Stab damage to one target. Reduces the target's physical/elemental attack by 50% for 4 turns. Permanently increases Tindalos's physical/elemental damage by (35 * NumberOfTimesCasted)%. Has a 120% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Tentacle Rage: Uses the head. Deals 3-6 instances of 90% melee STR-based Stab damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Shock Swing: Uses the head. Deals 80% melee STR-based Bash damage to each party member. Attempts to inflict paralysis on hit targets, with a 50% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Venom Claw: Uses the arms. Deals 110% melee STR-based Cut damage to one row. Attempts to inflict poison and curse on hit targets, with a 25% base chance and 60 base poison damage (around 150 adjusted for level). Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Chaos Slash: Uses the arms. Deals 150% melee STR-based Cut damage to one party member, with splash damage. Attempts to inflict blind and panic on hit targets, with a 25% base chance. Has a 60% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Odd Purple Hide. 100% chance. Sells for 44444 en. 1 needed to make Toxic Gage (+5 DEF, +5 AGI, Increases Instant Death, Petrification, Sleep, Panic, Poison, Blind, Curse, Paralysis, and Fear resistances by 5%).
    "Spongy skin from a toxic monster. Repels poison, but not so much as armor."
  • Conditional: Bound Talon (Kill while Leg bound). 100% chance. Sells for 88000 en. 1 needed to make Toxic Cannon (+180 ATK, 5% chance to inflict Petrification, Sleep, Panic, Poison, Blind, Curse, Paralysis, and Fear).
    "Thin, leglike talon Tindalos' body. The dripping poison is unlike anything known."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 125% 100% 100%
Disable resistances:
25% 25% 25% 50% 50% 25% 25%
0% 0% 10%
0% 25% 75%
Description: A monster that pursues its quarry like any hunting hound. No one has outsmarted it!

Oh boy, look at that HP count, EO2U broke 6 digits at last, something no other game in the series has accomplished! Anyways, here's the thing with this fight, Tindalos isn't a boss, it's actually an FOE. And yes, there is a reason behind that distinction. As such, it doesn't really have an attack pattern, and doesn't have a wide variety of skills. It's not really an interesting fight, but it has almost as much HP as the post-game final boss! So it's kind of a slog.

A funny thing that can happen in the fight is that Tindalos has the ability to permanently power itself up by draining power from your party members. Now if you let the fight go on too long, Tindalos will absorb so much power to the point where the damage overflows back to 0%, and it ends up doing single digit damage for a good while. (What is it with EO2 and damage overflow?)

Tindalos is susceptible to leg binds, but it really doesn't serve a purpose other than getting its conditional drop. None of its skills use the legs, and it's not particularly evasive.

Oh and Tindalos starts out the fight with an add, because of course it does.

Toxin Gland
Level: 99
HP: 15000
STR: 95
TEC: 90
VIT: 70
AGI: 58
LUC: 63
Exp: 0
Skills:
  • Toxic Gas: Cannot be disabled. Used at the end of Tindalos's turn. Reduces the effectiveness of HP restoration on the party by 10%, with each successive cast multiplying the reduction further by 10%. The effect stops when the Toxin Gland dies.
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 125% 100% 100%
Disable resistances:
0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0%
0% 0% 0%
0% 0% 0%

All the Toxin Gland will do is place an environmental effect that lowers how effective all forms of healing are. If you don't find the need to do so, feel free to ignore it, as that's all it will do. Fortunately, the Toxin Gland will never respawn once you kill it, so feel free to go after it first.

Which is what I'll be doing first after I prep up my party.

Bah. Not that I really expected him to land the Blind that easily with Tindalos' 25% resistance to it.

Okay, kind of off to a bad start here.

...That was only 0.5% of Tindalos' max HP. We're gonna be in for a loooooong fight.

This is the Toxin Gland placing an environmental effect that lowers how effective our healing is. It's not much at first, but it'll keep doing so for every turn it's alive. After 10 turns pass, healing is pretty much gonna do nothing. But once that thing dies, the environmental effect will disappear. Now I kinda need to make use of healing here, so I'm gonna focus on that first.

Sheesh, I'm already being put into a bad position.

I've got Force Reset and Force Charge, so I'm not too worried about Knight's Force in this battle. So...

Let's get going!

Gonna dispel that Poison first.

The first thing I probably should have done is set up Prevent Order, as Tindalos likes to inflict statuses.

Venom claw again. Good thing I had Prevent Order up.

You know, that would be a lot of damage in other cases. But as it stands, Knight has barely scratched Tindalos.

And the Toxin Gland is gonna make it even harder to heal.

Might as well finish up the combo.

I don't like wasting time healing up in fights, but I have to play defensively here since Flavio's having a hard time landing his ailments.

I'll have Arianna chip in some damage.

Yeah, she normally heals for around 200ish.

I'm pretty sure I can take down the Toxin Gland in a timely manner. Tindalos, not so much.

Well, that kinda sucks. But Knight is Transformed right now, and doesn't really care about losing 150 per turn.

You know the drill.

Ha ha! That'll make things easier. Though I'm not using the Blind food at the moment, so Tindalos isn't really a sitting duck. I'll still have to watch out for its attacks.

Ready to see some fireworks?

That was Shock Swing, which only missed the front row. Thankfully Bertrand and Arianna didn't get inflicted with anything.

For the record, Toxic Gas affects all forms of healing, including Vampire. Fortunately Chloe deals enough damage that it still fully heals the front row.

Okay, time to get rid of that gland.

I was tempted to hit Tindalos with Hazy Arrow, but I think I'll use that on the gland, since I want it gone as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, that wasn't enough to kill the Toxin Gland.

Though it got it close enough to death.

This fight is nowhere close to being done, so I'll just cancel Knight's Force Boost for now.

Flavio will finish off the Toxin Gland.

Oh hey, there's Sagittarius Shot.

Don't expect this to last for long. Once your Fafnir knight is in the post-game, they should be spending as little time in the untransformed state as possible.

Alright, that takes off a lot of pressure in this fight. Now I can just focus down Tindalos.

Unfortunately, Arianna got Paralyzed, but whatever. I still have Barrier.

Gonna work on building Knight's Force back up first.

The Blind wore off, so I'm gonna Paralyze Tindalos now. Now I have the Paralysis food in effect, so if it lands, it'll be a sitting duck.

It'll probably take a while for that to happen, but I'm not too worried.

This should get Knight past 100 Force.

Flavio has Hazy Arrow up, so I wanna make use of that. I'll have Chloe protect the team from ailments in the meantime.

Just in case Force Charge decides not to boost Knight's Force all that much, I'll have Bertrand boost his Force with an Axcela.

Oh wow, look at that sweet damage! Flavio is doing as much as Chloe's Ailing Slashes!

Oh uh, this move is something to be mindful of.

First of all, it hits pretty hard if you neglected to use Front Guard like I did. But it places a 50% damage debuff on the target. However, every time Tindalos successfully lands the debuff, its damage output permanently increases by 35%. And no, that's not a buff, so you can't purge it off. So letting the fight run on too long isn't advisable.

Oh wow, just look at all that Force Knight gained! I'll be able to do (almost) back to back Transforms with that!

Okay, now it's time to focus down Tindalos.

Better revive Flavio.

...That was only less than 3% of Tindalos' HP. :sigh:

But, might as well finish up the combo. Again.

Ha ha! Well now, this is a nice turn of events!

...That, wasn't much better than a Fire Wave.

Everyone who's name isn't Knight is starting to run low on TP. (I love Force Energy. :allears:) So I'll have Arianna use her Force Break in a bit. But I may as well get some mileage out of her Force Boost.

I'm planning on using Flavio's Force Break in a bit, so I also prep his Force Boost.

I want Arianna to use Link Order when Knight attacks, so I'm burning her Force Break a turn early.

1700 damage is decent, I suppose.

Everyone should be able to last a little longer in this fight now.

Okay, here we go!

You know, that was a nice chunk of damage right there. I wonder how much more of the fight we have left to go?

...We are 14 turns in, and we aren't even close to the halfway point! :suicide:

Oh well, let's get another Transform going. I'm gonna need it.

And might as well get his Force Break off.

One Delayed Chase, and Knight should be able to Transform again.

And here we go. Again.

Nice. It's been more than 8 turns since I first inflicted the blind, so I got another chance to land it again. I'll be alternating between using Blind and Paralysis.

Okay, you know what? I'm gonna be honest, this fight is boring. Once the Toxin Gland goes down, any tension in this fight is gone and Tindalos becomes nothing more than an HP sponge. It's not a difficult fight at all, just really tedious. The “difficult” aspect of this fight is running out of resources. The worst part is, it was deliberately designed to be that way! Why? Oh, you'll see the reason for that soon enough.

You know what? I think both the FOE and Transform themes are rather inappropriate for such a fight as intense and riveting as this. Here, why don't you listen to some music that's more fitting for this situation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvwlcr69FAI

Transform Count: 4

Transform Count: 5

GOOD GRIEF, FINALLY!

It took 37 turns just to kill that HP sponge! It would be nice if this is where the DLC ended. Sadly, there's more to go.

You strike down the Hound of Tindalos, and obtain the barrier seal's shard laying at its feet.

All that's left is to get this back to that seal, and we're done with this request!
The requester made it sound like it was some insane monster... but now that it's over, it really wasn't that impressive.

I expected something tougher.
Yeah! All in a day's work for Guild Guild!
Hey, that's enough messing around. We haven't completed the request yet, after all.
...Hey.

Chloe has been silent until now, but she tugs on your sleeve. She seems to have noticed something.

That monster's gone... but it still smells around here.
Ah... Now that you mention it...? That is curious. The monster that was causing it is gone now.

Suspicious about where the stench is coming from, you stay on guard, surveying your surroundings. ...Could it be your imagination? You feel as if the air around you is starting to become oddly stagnant...

Hrgh!? Th-That stench... It's getting stronger...!
Ah--Please, look over there!

Wh--Again!?

The newly-appeared Hound of Tindalos locks eyes with you before giving an unearthly shriek of raw hatred! ...It seems the hound is after the piece of the seal you hold.

Wh-What do we do!? Should we defeat it again?
The Hound of Tindalos has the power to endlessly self-replicate... ...That's what Mr. Hood said.
Ugh... I was hoping that was just some kind of exaggeration. Don't tell me this thing's just gonna come back...
At this rate, it's just going to be an endless battle.

Let's move onward while defeating them!
Indeed, we did defeat it once already. Surely this cannot be impossible!
Yeah, if it comes to charging forward with blind optimism or running back to the seal... I'd personally recommend running.

You must keep the shard safe from the monsters' grasp as you head back to restore the seal!

Let's ignore it and fix the seal!
Yes! Completing the request is our primary objective, after all.
Then, let's book it, and make sure we don't get caught by this freak!
...Whenever we decide to run, suddenly the old man gets a lot more energetic.
It can't be helped. That's how Trand is.

You cannot allow the seal's fragment to fall into the monster's hands. Now return to the room of the spherical seal!

And here's the actual gimmick of this DLC. Oh, you thought the fight was the main point? No, that was a deterrent. Going through that fight once was awful and boring, and you don't want to go through that again, right? Because running into another Hound of Tindalos will start the exact same fight all over again!

Could the Hound of Tindalos's foul miasma be preventing it from activating?

Yeah no, the thread is useless here.

And Floor Jump is disabled as well. The objective of this DLC is figuring out how to get out of here while a bunch of FOEs pursue you. Oh, and killing it again is pointless unless you get cornered. It will just respawn again and do so indefinitely. I hope you made a good map of this area!

You decide to head towards the perfect circle barrier in order to fix the seal there...

And if you use a Return Flute, this happens. So there is a way to reset the puzzle at least, if you screw up.

I'll mark down the paths you need to take to get out of here. You'll need to use the ice tiles to get ahead of Tindalos. Though in some cases, you'll have to get closer to it, and then double back so it doesn't cut you off later. This room is one such example.

Tindalos typically spawns in alcoves. Oh, and once you get out of a room, all the Tindalos' pursuing you disappear. You can use that trick to retry a room if you mess up the puzzle. I should hope this Hound of Tindalos would be easy to get past for you.

For this Hound, you'll have to lead it around this pillar to get past it.

You have to do the same thing here, but first you need to shorten the gap between you and Tindalos so it doesn't cut you off when you try to lead it around a pillar.

And of course they also put in a few jump scares.

For this room, you want to follow this path first.

Then double back on the ice to give these Hounds the slip.

For the next room, follow this path first.

Then follow this route.

Then use the ice to your advantage to get past this hound.

Here's part one on how to get through this final room.

And with that, we're out!

H-How's it looking?
The shape does fit, but...
Oh!?

As you press the shard against the small gap, the piece suddenly moves on its own, pressing against the chipped sphere! With some small popping sounds, the sphere seems to accept the shard, as if healing its damage...

Ooh...!
...A bit creepy.
I-It seems this was indeed no ordinary stone...

As the last fault disappears between shard and sphere, it takes on a strange, gentle flow... Almost instantly, the unpleasant smell fades from the room, and you sense no more monsters in the area. ...You appear to have successfully restored the seal!

Gah... Well, we just went through hell. This old man could use a nap.
Yeah, I gotta agree with you this time. I still can't get that stink out of my nose...

You gotta shape up, you two.
Shaddup. This ain't something kids would understand. Right, Flavio?
Hey, d-don't treat me the same as you! I'm not an old man yet!
But people inevitably age. If one day, Flavio will truly be an elder, then we must naturally prepare for this...
Nope! Not happening! Forget it!
Forget Grandpa Flavio. The request is now complete. Should we report back to the bar?
Indeed. I'm certain Sir Ryle is waiting on our report, as well... We ought to hurry and get back, so we can inform him that High Lagaard is no longer in danger.

You have now completed the request. Return to the bar and report your findings to the researcher Ryle!

...Ignored again.
C'mon, it's nothing to whine about. Being an old man's not that bad, you know?

...It would probably be best to console Flavio somewhat before you get back.

Now we can use the Ariadne Thread.

Oh, it's you. How is the quest going? ......I see. I appreciate the report. A fascinating case indeed... This means that these documents were correct. But I still have questions... Why was the seal broken in the first place...? Looks like another investigation might be necessary... ...Oh, I'm sorry. I appreciate your help in the matter. It looks as though I made the right choice in asking you. You've done better than I expected, in fact... Excellent work. I left the reward with that Cass fellow. Don't forget to pick it up, hm?

Oh, yeh finish that job with the scholar? ...Heheh, how was it? Did he say yeh did a good job? Ulterior motives!? Of course not! Not at all! Well... maybe just a little... Heheh. ...See, this is a secret, but that scholar is actually kind of a bigshot. Big name. What yeh'd call a VIP. Hmm? What about it, yeh ask? Geez, yeh never learn, do yeh? See, a bar that has folks with connections... well, that bar gets the best-payin' jobs! Good jobs pay well, and they pay up front! Good news for both of us, eh? Haw haw haw! Well, if yeh lot do good, that means the Stickleback does good! Here's yer reward--let's do this again sometime!

Not worth it.

Though I suppose you can grind on this quest if you want to retire at 99, and then grind back up.

Anyways, once we leave the bar...

Flavio, you're groaning again.
Might it be about Sir Ryle?
...Yeah. I still can't shake the feeling that I know him. But according to the bartender, he's supposed to be this big important person.
Hmmm...
And you wouldn't know anyone like that, would you, kid?
Nope!
...Though I guess I can think of someone who... kind of became important through all the things they went through.
Things they went through...? What do you mean?
Well... last year, some colleagues of ours accomplished something huge in a far-off land called Etria. They saved a lot of people. They grew up with us... at the same orphanage, I mean.
You remember them too, right, Knight?
I don't remember them.
H-Huh? Really? They were the talk of the Midgard Library after what they managed to do over in Etria...
An achievement in Etria...? That isn't what I think it is, right? Exploring their own Yggdrasil, and...?
Yeah, that's it! That's the one!
Huh. I heard rumors that the guild had Midgard Library folks in it, but to think you guys were acquainted with them...
But if Sir Ryle is that person, then why would he hide his identity to make such a request...? Since you and Sir Knight are here, couldn't he have requested on behalf of the Midgard Library?
...An appraisal?
What?
Oh, that seems possible. Going undercover to see how folks act when they don't know their superiors are watching...
Hah! Being in an investigation team must be rough, if they pull that kinda crap on you without warning.
Wh... Wh-Wh... What? What!?

Oh crap.
W-We didn't say anything weird, right? We'll... b-be okay, r-right...?
You're both panicking too much... Is that person really that scary?
It's more like... he's intimidating... I'm not that great at dealing with him...
Ahah... Remember, we completed the request successfully, so I'm certain you'll be just fine.
Plus, we don't even know if that's why he was here. Might be totally unrelated to you guys.
...Or he could be watching you from somewhere... even now.
G-Gah! C'mon, don't scare us like that!
Ugh, this is the worst... Please let this just be my imagination...

So Ryle is actually Simon from EOU. He was the Medic in the player's party, and was also from the Midgard Library. If you want more details, play that game. Anyways, let's take a look at what Tindalos' drops unlock.

The Odd Purple Hide unlocks the Toxic Gage, which increases the wearer's defense by a minor amount, and increases Increases Instant Death, Petrification, Sleep, Panic, Poison, Blind, Curse, Paralysis, and Fear resistances by 5%. Yeah, it's trash.

The Bound Talon unlocks the Toxic Cannon, which has a 5% chance to inflict Petrification, Sleep, Panic, Poison, Blind, Curse, Paralysis, and Fear. Also trash, just like this DLC.

Anyways, next time...

A trip down memory lane. Nostalgia, or :effort:? You decide! (It's the latter.)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I liked Treasures Untold, to be honest.

At least it doesn't make you have to do a corridor run against a Level 99 damage sponge FOE. :argh:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I hated Treasures Untold, mostly because one single error--or even something you literally could not see coming--means you lose a LOT of time and have to start the thing from scratch.

(Yes, I was relying on a Hexer and then got to Manticore before dying horribly.)

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

...You could have used a Return Flute in the Tindalos mission? :suicide:

I haven't touched Treasures Untold before actually, so it'll actually be new for me. That and the last DLC. If you're actually doing it, then may god have mercy on you, Fetus.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
In other news: I might've been spending a lot of time the past week or three preparing for the EO5 LP.

In light of that, I tossed an idea by Clarste and alcharagia (my partners in crime for EO5, if you didn't read the test post): we're opening up EO5 character submissions early in this thread, because hey, we already have all this stuff ready to go. Note that this isn't the only period for EO5 character submissions, this is just if you want to get it out of the way. We won't be deciding on who gets in just yet.

Character creation information's over here. This'll be open until the LP ends and the EO5 LP begins...at which point it'll reopen anyway.

Rea fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 23, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, I'll be honest. Tindalos is just boring and annoying. Treasures Untold is basically a series of dice rolls that requires you to be psychic, because the damage outputs there are just way overtuned.

Of course, The Original Sin is far worse than both of them.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah, the EO2U DLC is... not fun but most of the EO5 DLC is just cosmetic stuff, right? I don't even know why I bothered finishing all the DLC, it was just such a slog.

But very much looking forward to the EO5 LP, it'll be a nice stopgap before I can get my hands on a US copy months before the EU release.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Crosspeice posted:

Yeah, the EO2U DLC is... not fun but most of the EO5 DLC is just cosmetic stuff, right? I don't even know why I bothered finishing all the DLC, it was just such a slog.

The EO5 DLC consists of:

• The portraits
  • EXP and item/money grinding. The EXP one gives you a gigantic amount of EXP upon quest completion plus an accessory that triples the party's EXP gain, the item/money one gives you a big wad of cash upon quest completion and an accessory that forces all non-conditional items to drop
  • The FM soundtrack

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

we're opening up EO5 character submissions early in this thread

Character creation.
:eyepop:

Didn't expect to see that tonight. Uh, have one on the fly, I guess!

Name: Nolan
Class: Dragoon
Portrait: 3B, except with 3A's whiter/grayer hair.
Voice: Somber

Nolan is an experienced explorer from an older time, who actually did manage to make a good name for himself. The people that did know him knew he retired after a few good years as an explorer. The people that knew his rumors know him as one of the best protectors across the lands. The people that met him after his retirement will say that he's a funny man that pretends everyone is his son (especially when he's drinking... which is often). Not many people can say why he's suddenly back in the exploring business, though. All they know is that bright spark that was in his eyes before suddenly became a bit duller than usual, and his laughs are more hollow than they were before. The people that knew him, though, they will shake their heads and sadly turn away, without an answer. When asked, he will say that he wants one last journey before he dies, with his shield in one hand and his sword in the oth-

"...Wait, where'd my sword go?! :supaburn:"

BlackPersona fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 23, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Ah crap, forgot to mention in the character creation info: specify a voice, too!

Voices can temporarily be found in the test post until tomorrow morning, when I can fix this.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Name: Ritz
Class: Hound
Portrait: 1B (Keep the white wolf if ya can)
Voice: Hag

A wild, violent murderess of the woods, she had long since learned to commune with nature as well as bloody it if it got too close to her with their fangs. She brings about a wolf she raised from a pup to help her fight, and up until being found for the guild, had avoided overly populated areas and stayed away from people in general. She might be young, she speaks with age and wisdom far beyond even her years, even for her species. She was found on the outskirts of town and convinced to join in the climbing of the tree in an attempt to keep one's barrings within the labyrinthine tree. Though she communes with animals...she does have this penchant to misunderstand, for better or worse...mostly the latter. Also, don't touch the ears, one of two things will happen; A. You pacify her for the time being or B. you wind up pulling back a bloody stump.

"How cute, look at that luxurious fur...lets not bloody it too much, I needed a new blanket."

Kemix fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 23, 2016

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
It might have been a little (lot) on the easy side, but I'm sad that EO4's design wasn't retained for EO5; the whole 'explore the world in your airship' thing was genuinely cool and enjoyable for me. Does anybody know how well it sold? (In comparison to its predecessors, I mean - absolute values may not be the most helpful here.) Still, looking forward to the LP!

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

vdate posted:

It might have been a little (lot) on the easy side, but I'm sad that EO4's design wasn't retained for EO5; the whole 'explore the world in your airship' thing was genuinely cool and enjoyable for me. Does anybody know how well it sold? (In comparison to its predecessors, I mean - absolute values may not be the most helpful here.) Still, looking forward to the LP!

It sold a little less than EO4 at retail, but bear in mind that EO4 also wasn't on the eShop for its initial release.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

But very much looking forward to the EO5 LP, it'll be a nice stopgap before I can get my hands on a US copy months before the EU release.

Yeah, and there aren't gonna be anymore gameplay DLC like EO2U had. Ragnar and I poked around in the files, and all we saw was placeholders for the cosmetic stuff. EO2U actually had placeholders for all its DLC. Due to how the files are structured, it's actually impossible/needlessly difficult for them to add something like that in the future.

vdate posted:

quote:

With the game out, here are the initial sales numbers.

01./00. [3DS] Etrian Odyssey V: The End of the Long Myth # <RPG> (Atlus) {2016.08.04} (¥6.480) - 92.518 / NEW

Comparison to other games.

[NDS] Etrian Odyssey <RPG> (Atlus) {2007.01.18} (¥4.980) - 32.511 <85,00%>

[NDS] Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard <RPG> (Atlus) {2008.02.21} (¥4.980) - 68.913 <59,57%>

[NDS] Etrian Odyssey III: The Downed City <RPG> (Atlus) {2010.04.01} (¥5.980) - 87.765 <74,75%>

[3DS] Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan <RPG> (Atlus) {2012.07.05} (¥5.980) - 95.506 <75,68%>

[3DS] Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl <RPG> (Atlus) {2013.06.27} (¥5.980) - 88.278 <67,15%>

[3DS] Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight <RPG> (Atlus) {2014.11.27} (¥5.980) - 59.531 <67,64%>

Are we voting on the guild names now, or is that for later?

Anyways...

Name: Raven
Class: Reaper
Portrait: 1A, except with black hair and black eyes.
Voice: Intellectual

Tired of his home life and not being taken seriously, Raven set out to explore the Labyrinth to make a name for himself. He took one of his tools he frequently used at his home, and decorated it to make it seem shiny and cool. An awesome weapon means the wielder is awesome too, right? And can't forget the awesome looking outfit too. But despite all his attempts to seem all cool and edgy, he comes off as pathetic or adorable to other people, much to his chagrin.

“I'm not a farmer! I'm the deadliest and coolest assassin around! ...That happens to know a lot about crops and cute little animals-and why are you laughing!? Stop petting me on the head!”

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 23, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Eh, don't see why not re: guild names. It's not a vote this time, mind.

Same stuff as character names: either give us something in English and Clarste'll translate it, or give us something in Japanese and I'll spend an embarrassing amount of time inputting it by hunt-and-peck.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Hated the Hound DLC for essentially being a 'Do it right the first time or get screwed' escape sequence. One wrong step and BOOM ANOTHER 15 minutes till I could try figuring out the last room again!

Name: Duke
Class: Cestus
Portrait: The correct one (3B), with red hair and orange eyes.
Voice: Rough

A former prize fighter banned from the arena due to his disregard for the rules in the ring and for the amount of brawls he was involved in outside of it. He tries to stay calm but once somebody/thing tries to pick a fight with him, nothing can stop him till the offender is a wreck. In an attempt to put his habits towards a better purpose, his trainer pointed him toward the labyrinth where such tactics are a key for survival.

"They aren't broken yet? Well, Let Me FIX THIS PROBLEM!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014
Name: Sheila (シーラ)
Class: Dragoon
Portrait: 2A, base colors.
Voice: Soldier

Ex-soldier who left the military for glory, Sheila has already attempted to explore the labyrinth. Keyword being attempted. Sometimes solo, sometimes in a guild, all in failure. She's decided to give it one last attempt before she begrudgingly accepts the offer to return from her former superior. She doesn't like talking about her missing eye (Don't play with knives at a young age folks... Actually just don't play with knives.)

Exceedingly simple and plain, but I have as much imagination as a rusted doornail

If the Hound DLC is this bad, then I'm not sure I want to know how bad Original Sin is.

• Locked thread