Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

You can always trust a random RPG kickstarter to drown out everything else in this thread for days at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

potatocubed posted:

It doesn't help that I have no idea what the other tiers are getting me. A physical book and the option to buy a physical book at cost? What?

Probably so you can get your PoD copy to play with as soon as that's available, while you wait a few months for the deluxe traditionally printed book to arrive.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

NTRabbit posted:

You can always trust a random RPG kickstarter to drown out everything else in this thread for days at a time.

Well we can always talk about Mayday Games new project: H.I.D.E., which is a dice-based deduction and bluffing game.

Or Unreal Estate, a fantasy set-collection game.

There's also Heroes of Normandie, The Tactical Card Game; Stellar Armada, a $1 micro game which has raised $7500 so far; Chimera Station, a sci-fi worker placement game with customisable worker figures; and Vengeance, a miniatures-heavy game based around pulp action movies.

Hasslfree Miniatures have added a male character to their nude minis campaign which I'm sure will please many goons in this thread.

cyberia fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Sep 23, 2016

Serf
May 5, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

Posting about RPG Kickstarters in the TG Kickstarter thread?? Well I never!

Also: Scion was a concept I wanted to love wrapped in a garbage system. I hope they can improve on it this time around. And get off their asses and bring back Adventure! and the rest of the Aeon line!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

cyberia posted:

Well we can always talk about Mayfair Games new project: H.I.D.E., which is a dice-based deduction and bluffing game.

Mayday, actually. Important difference.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Mayday, actually. Important difference.

Ah right, my bad. I've corrected my post :)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

cyberia posted:

Stellar Armada, a $1 micro game which has raised $7500 so far; [

This will certainly get my $5

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I'm sure it's been discussed already but what do y'all think of Kaigaku, a game that appears to be an L5R clone with less doomed highborn manchildry?

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

I'm sure it's been discussed already but what do y'all think of Kaigaku, a game that appears to be an L5R clone with less doomed highborn manchildry?

Do you like the Black Hack? Then maybe you will like the Black Hack with samurais, which is what Kaigaku is as far I can tell - at the very least it started as a hack of the Black Hack. I'm not especially sure OSR D&D is the best fit for L5R though. The promotion I have seen suggests it is supposed to be more historical and have less mythological elements than L5R also.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

That Old Tree posted:

Frankly, I don't think most people get why it was so horrible and is still not good, and delayed book deliveries will always be a higher crime in this hobby.

My impression of Beast is its so confusing (both in a weird concept for a game core and just being a muddled mess of themes) that people don't get far enough into it to realize the horribleness of some of the setting assumptions.

I'd agree Exalted as far as their kickstarters go is probably a bigger worry point. I backed Scion because overall I think OP does well with their kickstarters, but I'm dubious about the exalted one despite that being what our group is currently playing.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Desiden posted:

My impression of Beast is its so confusing (both in a weird concept for a game core and just being a muddled mess of themes) that people don't get far enough into it to realize the horribleness of some of the setting assumptions.

I'd agree Exalted as far as their kickstarters go is probably a bigger worry point. I backed Scion because overall I think OP does well with their kickstarters, but I'm dubious about the exalted one despite that being what our group is currently playing.

They're sold on "You're Grendel with some social commentary" that they don't realize it bungles that commentary, yeah.

Wasn't Exalted handled by a different group of people within OP?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Rockalypse is coming up on its last 24 hours, and is 200% funded. It's basically Mad Max meets Scott Pilgrim meets Jem and the Holograms; the core system is Fate but a bonus FAE version just unlocked.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Lightning Lord posted:

Wasn't Exalted handled by a different group of people within OP?

Every OP product is handled by its own team, as far as I can tell. That's at least part of what swung me towards backing Scion: I recognise some of the names working on it, and they're good people, and there seems to be minimal overlap with Exalted or Beast.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Care to elaborate?

Largely the way that the new Enhancements system, where you only ever roll your Stat + Skill for a given task but things like equipment, circumstances and supernatural powers add automatic successes (but unless you get 3 successes over the difficulty it's only a partial success) makes everything way, way swingier and more brutally deterministic. If you're Stronk Stronkson the jotun and you're trying to punch someone, you're either going to miss outright or blast them into tiny tiny pieces with absolutely no middle ground. Literally all you need is that single success for all your other things to proc off and you to get like 5 or 6 successes. Scion 1E had this real problem where people with a difference of even 1 Legend literally couldn't fight each other without it being a one-way brutal murderfuck because of the sheer number of automatic successes that higher levels of Epic Attributes gave you - Scion 2E replicates this problem in spades where if you have more Enhancements than the other person you will defeat them 99% of the time with no deviation. So much of your power comes as automatic successes provided by Enhancements rather than from the dice themselves that the outcome of any given competition is pretty much predestined. Scale compounds on this problem where if you fight something of greater Scale than you, it will straight-up annihilate you unless you have some really grody stats on your side that it doesn't have, for some reason.

Momentum, Consolations and Complications are really cool and I quite like the attempts to put mechanics to the idea that demigods are in a league of their own compared to normal people but the core mechanics are a total shitshow. The Investigation system is pretty much all the least good bits of GUMSHOE without the good parts, the Health system is like a knock-off Fate and there are still variable target numbers.

Oh, also, if a normal human takes methamphetamine and rolls 1 success on Strength + Athletics he can outrun a police car. The target numbers of successes are a little off compared to the success adders.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Lord posted:

My desire to play in an Oriental-themed setting outweighs my disdain for more Black Hack hackery. I'm in for the PDF level.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Do you dislike the Black Hack in particular?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

LeSquide posted:

Do you dislike the Black Hack in particular?

Oh no, I backed that too and are otherwise very satisfied with it. It's everyone hacking everything into The [Noun] Hack that rubs me the wrong way.

Perhaps that was the point of making such a generic system, but it struck me as very bandwagonny.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh no, I backed that too and are otherwise very satisfied with it. It's everyone hacking everything into The [Noun] Hack that rubs me the wrong way.

Perhaps that was the point of making such a generic system, but it struck me as very bandwagonny.

Ah, gotcha. I'm on the fence about it because the cure apparently won't have Ronin stuff on it, and I'm leery of that after L5R's endless poo stream directed towards the masterless men.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

cyberia posted:

Well we can always talk about Mayday Games new project: H.I.D.E., which is a dice-based deduction and bluffing game.

I'm absolutely certain that I've played that game before.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I should make a samurai game where it's all Ronin as PCs, and NPC samurai.

edit for clarity: Like some big setting event before play begins has stripped all 'samurai' of their masters, and so you've got a bunch of dudes with swords and bows and horses running around the country, taking odd jobs, righting wrongs, or causing wrongs, etc.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 23, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kwyndig posted:

edit for clarity: Like some big setting event before play begins has stripped all 'samurai' of their masters, and so you've got a bunch of dudes with swords and bows and horses running around the country, taking odd jobs, righting wrongs, or causing wrongs, etc.

That honestly sounds like a better set-up for gameplayability than most I've heard.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Kwyndig posted:

Please do this.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well yeah, it's just "suddenly, adventurers!" with a bit of backstory as to why.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I feel like "Suddenly, Adventurers!" would be a cool name for an RPG.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Evil Mastermind posted:

I feel like "Suddenly, Adventurers!" would be a cool name for an RPG.

Yes, yes it would

Stellar Armada tickles me because the highest pledge tier is $10. I know it's not intended as such but it almost reads as a "gently caress you" too all of the insanely high-priced Kickstarters out there. Definitely pledging.

*cough* invisible sun

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Zurui posted:

Yes, yes it would

Stellar Armada tickles me because the highest pledge tier is $10. I know it's not intended as such but it almost reads as a "gently caress you" too all of the insanely high-priced Kickstarters out there. Definitely pledging.

*cough* invisible sun

It's got strange shipping though

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

NTRabbit posted:

It's got strange shipping though

Yeah, they should just do $1 per game. It's not that weird, though. It's just 50¢ per game, round up.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Zurui posted:

Yeah, they should just do $1 per game. It's not that weird, though. It's just 50¢ per game, round up.

I meant i can't get the deluxe in Australia, but I can get the basic, and to get the deluxe outside of the US you need to buy two of them and live in Canada, the UK, or the EU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
For people who don't read the BattleCON thread, the latest expandalone's Kickstarter is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/battlecon-trials-the-fighting-board-game

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

NTRabbit posted:

I meant i can't get the deluxe in Australia, but I can get the basic, and to get the deluxe outside of the US you need to buy two of them and live in Canada, the UK, or the EU

Oh, that is weird. Have you messaged them to ask about it?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Jedit posted:

I'm absolutely certain that I've played that game before.

It was originally published as a Korean game. The kickstarter is to release a second, English-language, edition.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I just discovered this neat KS from Lead Adventure - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/822163699/astropolis

Looks like some wonderfully characterful space ship crew who'd be great for a skirmish game or RPG.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lemon-Lime posted:

For people who don't read the BattleCON thread, the latest expandalone's Kickstarter is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/battlecon-trials-the-fighting-board-game

On the one hand, I really hope they make it to that $250k stretch goal. On the other, all my wasted effort with my own tuckboxes :negative:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

On the one hand, I really hope they make it to that $250k stretch goal. On the other, all my wasted effort with my own tuckboxes :negative:

I printed out all of the tuckboxes for War + Fate on nice thick cardstock, built the boxes for War flight 1, then immediately gave up and ordered a bunch of blank pocker tuckboxes online instead. They're nice, but not having the character art on the front is pretty sad.

This saves me from having to cut up the cardboard sleeves to glue them to the front of the box. :toot:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Zurui posted:

Oh, that is weird. Have you messaged them to ask about it?

It says at the bottom that it's the plan, not an error

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
This looks neat:

Astronaut: The Best
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/uhm/astronaut-the-best/description

quote:

The narrative strategy PC game where you turn underdog losers into presentable space heroes using lies, dark magic, and/or hard work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boJh960-iRU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

This is the worst boardgame kickstarter yet. Not a single mini with giant tits. Do they at least have plans for a FATAL tie-in stretch goal?

The demo was amusing, though I could see the humor getting tired over a longer playtime.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

cyberia posted:

It was originally published as a Korean game. The kickstarter is to release a second, English-language, edition.

Then my advice is not to back it, because it's dull.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am glad that in the 10 minutes between the Apocalypse World Pdf being released and me getting the email the website went down. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am glad that in the 10 minutes between the Apocalypse World Pdf being released and me getting the email the website went down. :smith:

He's sent out a couple of alternatives (drivethrurpg and some other site) that work a lot better.