Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

DancingShade posted:

Make sure to toss salt over your shoulder to keep away evil spirits. Then paint your dog yellow to keep away the kobolds.

Are you loving CRAZY???? YELLOW GOES BOOM, everyone knows this.

Btw, the salt over shoulder is a thing where I live too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

As someone who loved UO is this game decent or garbage? Because it looks like garbage and I can't trust Richard Garriott anymore... But I want to believe!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Internet Explorer posted:

As someone who loved UO is this game decent or garbage? Because it looks like garbage and I can't trust Richard Garriott anymore... But I want to believe!

It isn't a complete game right now and they don't advertise it as such. There are definitely touches you notice throughout the game that are instantly familiar to old Ultima and UO players. If you are on the fence, I would say wait until version 1.0. The game has very solid foundations, but there are many missing or broken pieces.

However don't expect thing like town thieving and pking everywhere - this is 2016, games have heavily shifted towards a Trammel style of player interaction. PvP occurs only in special areas, and I think the plan is to have special items you can only get in those areas to make them lucrative places to go to.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Lum is your Necropolis revamp on the QA server yet? I did a fresh run through last night but it still felt rather highly tuned for a place people go freshly after Ardoris.

Don't know if I did my latest run a bit early :v:

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

DancingShade posted:

Lum is your Necropolis revamp on the QA server yet? I did a fresh run through last night but it still felt rather highly tuned for a place people go freshly after Ardoris.

Don't know if I did my latest run a bit early :v:

If you were fighting poison-spitting red spiders you weren't on the latest version

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lum_ posted:

If you were fighting poison-spitting red spiders you weren't on the latest version

Cool, good to know. Time to go back in!

Yeah it's a much friendlier dungeon now. People fresh from Ardoris should be fine.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 24, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I did it.

A full set of indestructible tools, even for tradeskills not currently implemented. Not as good as Prosperity tools, but fine enough by me. Was it worth grinding all that gold? Um...

:psyduck:

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Howwww much did that cost you and how did you grind it?

Seems like the time:money ratio would make more sense to just pay real dollars.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Jesus.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Node posted:

I did it.

A full set of indestructible tools, even for tradeskills not currently implemented. Not as good as Prosperity tools, but fine enough by me. Was it worth grinding all that gold? Um...

:psyduck:

Nicely done! Now take a break and a shot of spirits to celebrate.

Incidentally in case anyone was wondering, if you swap out your house for another one without changing your lot claim then your basement and everything in it remains untouched and doesn't get tossed back into the bank.

Just thought that might be useful to know in case you wanted to make your basement your "house" and swap out the above ground part at some point.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 25, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

DancingShade posted:

Nicely done! Now take a break and a shot of spirits to celebrate.

I'm thinking of getting a shitton of metal scrap from Tenebrwhatever Harbor, then mining some iron in Verdiwhatever or Spectral Mines (opinions?,) and making a mastercraft set of meteoric iron plate. I could enchant/socket the stuff further with alchemy, but I'd have to gather even more gold to raise that skill, and I just don't feel like doing that again, at least not for a very long time.

Akion posted:

Howwww much did that cost you and how did you grind it?

Seems like the time:money ratio would make more sense to just pay real dollars.

The whole point wasn't to spend real money! Besides, I'm saving my real dollars for cats, or different puking emotes.

Every purchase there, except the ones I had on my own account, cost between 22k and 35k. What have I done.

PMB
Oct 30, 2002

Moist and Delicious
Spectral mines is good for iron and the Hardened skeleton mobs there are good xp /cash (as you know already!) Plus a farmable lich. Also it's very easy to access from the Soltown sewer.. Haven't been to verdithingy yet though.

At this point I wouldn't make a set of epic plate, i'd make a set of augmented chain mail instead. You get more resist and damage, better cast chance at the cost of avoidance, plus it's a lot cheaper to make (2 ingots per metal coil, as compared to 3 ingots per metal sheet).
I made a suit with meteoric iron metal coils (+item damage resistance), bronze fittings (+ weapon damage) and hardened leather straps (+ weapon damage), works well with a +crit weapon.
Alchemy shouldn't take that long to level, i'm guessing you have ridiculous amounts of corpse wax which you can use to make potions. :)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

PMB posted:

Spectral mines is good for iron and the Hardened skeleton mobs there are good xp /cash (as you know already!) Plus a farmable lich. Also it's very easy to access from the Soltown sewer.. Haven't been to verdithingy yet though.

At this point I wouldn't make a set of epic plate, i'd make a set of augmented chain mail instead. You get more resist and damage, better cast chance at the cost of avoidance, plus it's a lot cheaper to make (2 ingots per metal coil, as compared to 3 ingots per metal sheet).
I made a suit with meteoric iron metal coils (+item damage resistance), bronze fittings (+ weapon damage) and hardened leather straps (+ weapon damage), works well with a +crit weapon.
Alchemy shouldn't take that long to level, i'm guessing you have ridiculous amounts of corpse wax which you can use to make potions. :)

All the potions that use corpse wax have it as a secondary reagent, I wish there was a potion that used mostly corpse wax and less on the others. And I know that chain is pretty much better right now, but I'm a plate kind of guy. Plus, the balance could, and likely will, change at some point.

Do you have that link you mentioned of maps of dungeons? I don't know how to get to Spectral Mines from the catacombs, I just know where it is on the world map.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
On that topic it occurs to me that I've never explored the sewers beneath brittany.

Might have to add that to my "to do" list.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

DancingShade posted:

On that topic it occurs to me that I've never explored the sewers beneath brittany.

Might have to add that to my "to do" list.

You might find a way to the Lost Lands!

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Node posted:

You might find a way to the Lost Lands!

Meeeeeeeeemmmooorriiiiiieeeeessss!

I wish my +whatever armor gloves didn't glow. It's slightly off-putting.

Is there a way to stop that?

PMB
Oct 30, 2002

Moist and Delicious

Node posted:

Do you have that link you mentioned of maps of dungeons? I don't know how to get to Spectral Mines from the catacombs, I just know where it is on the world map.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/sewer-catacomb-and-mine-maps.30178/

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Do we get R34 today? Is there a changelog posted?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Node posted:

Do we get R34 today? Is there a changelog posted?

29th going off the end of the 3rd quarter schedule. So Friday/Saturday depending on where you are in the world.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

can we get a picture of this game with dragons in it tia

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nurel posted:

can we get a picture of this game with dragons in it tia

:effort: There are some screenshots on the interweb and some videos on YouTube though.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

i saw the video on the web site, cool stuff

the guy who solo killed it did some 1990 kiting maneuvers

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

DancingShade posted:

29th going off the end of the 3rd quarter schedule. So Friday/Saturday depending on where you are in the world.

People are going to flood to New Estgard and buy my amazing furniture, or not give a poo poo about decorating houses and have me wasting lots of wood. We'll see.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
We do releases on Thursdays because doing a major release on Friday is just stupid. So R34 will be going up tomorrow.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Lum_ posted:

We do releases on Thursdays because doing a major release on Friday is just stupid. So R34 will be going up tomorrow.

Looking forward to it seņor.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Holy gently caress

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Holy gently caress

Heavy armor attributes, but it uses Light armor skill. Weird. And the components you need for it come from dragons, demons, phoenixes, and other strong poo poo. I guess that means those monsters are in game now too. Or they always have been?

Here are the full release notes: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=63660 . Food actually matters now, there are more ways to get gold, Path of Love is polished, Estgard has had a big polish, I can finally puke blood. 5/5 will patch again.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Node posted:

Heavy armor attributes, but it uses Light armor skill. Weird. And the components you need for it come from dragons, demons, phoenixes, and other strong poo poo. I guess that means those monsters are in game now too. Or they always have been?

Here are the full release notes: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=63660 . Food actually matters now, there are more ways to get gold, Path of Love is polished, Estgard has had a big polish, I can finally puke blood. 5/5 will patch again.

Yeah those are all in game and have been for a while.

Dragons are in shardfalls & depending on RNG a possible open world encounter near Spite (tip: run). Phoenixes may be found in high end desert scenes but I've yet to see one in person. Demons are... I don't really know. They at least in one dungeon that I can't name.

I have no information as to what they drop though, apart from stuff for top end magic quests and (now) bone armor.

Also that bone armor is pretty sweet. I have a feeling that eventually you won't be somebody without a set of that.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Now all they have to do is drop a similar set for heavy armor... :(

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Yeah, light armor is for wimps. Where is my full suit of valorite plate?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Node posted:

Yeah, light armor is for wimps. Where is my full suit of valorite plate?

Actually a light armor chest piece and heavy everything else is the best armor under the current system :eng101:

(that actually needs fixing but it's more of a low priority balance thing for now so I don't expect the systems dude to look over it too soon)

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I wonder if changing plates and bowls to coal will make cooking any more feasible. I feel like even with that change, the investment to make each dish is still going to be ridiculous. The recipes are just too huge and convoluted in order to make each a unique combination of ingredients.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Why. Isn't. /Pukeblood. On. The. Store. Yet.

:mad:

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

DancingShade posted:

Actually a light armor chest piece and heavy everything else is the best armor under the current system :eng101:

(that actually needs fixing but it's more of a low priority balance thing for now so I don't expect the systems dude to look over it too soon)

That reminds me of oldschool UO where the popular set was hq plate everything and chainmail shirt.

Unrelated - I am now asking every npc if they know Keyser Soze. I may have learning development issues. I am having fun with this NPC chat system, looking to see what odd gems I can dig up there.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Tried 'spam' 'spam' 'spam' 'humbug'?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Estgard looks cool now.

Music doesn't seem to work at all with this release, and there is a really annoying bug that will randomly stop you from crafting when you queue up 20 tasks. I'm trying to smelt 500 lumps of iron ore and sometimes it gets to 5/20 and just exits the crafting menu.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016
How much of a boost are prosperity tools over the normal variety?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
It seems the airship man has been undeterred my mockery.... And another Star Citizen has appeared outside our city walls.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Nunes posted:

That reminds me of oldschool UO where the popular set was hq plate everything and chainmail shirt.

I never found out why that was, but I recall a guy calling it an archer set, so I assumed it was optimal for archers.

I wish more games allowed for that kind of oddball design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Alexander DeLarge posted:

It seems the airship man has been undeterred my mockery.... And another Star Citizen has appeared outside our city walls.

There's other town lots in Estgard that don't have houses placed, they just place a vendor selling and buying ~****COTOs****~. I wish Estgard had an HOA.

Also, I spend a couple hours and got 500 iron to make some meteoric ingots with. Dancing, is the wiki accurate about what the leather straps do? Do regular leather straps give a dodge modifier, and supple give a crit modifier for plate?