Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
For card games check out
Guild of Dungeoneering
Card Crawl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Lowness 72 posted:

For card games check out
Guild of Dungeoneering
Card Crawl

Seconding these, and adding that Sentinels of the Multiverse just updated to add phone support and the start of season 2 updates, and has asynchronous multiplayer.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
It's not really a card game other than you collect cards to make/improve your team but I have been having a lot of fun with Gems of War. It's a match 3 game at its base but it just got an update on mobile that added a bunch of stuff. Unfortunately you cannot play the same account across multiple platforms or at least not on Android and PS4. PS4 is not on the latest update yet either.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Trastion posted:

It's not really a card game other than you collect cards to make/improve your team but I have been having a lot of fun with Gems of War. It's a match 3 game at its base but it just got an update on mobile that added a bunch of stuff. Unfortunately you cannot play the same account across multiple platforms or at least not on Android and PS4. PS4 is not on the latest update yet either.

I haven't played this in a year, but when I did I had no problem playing it at the same time on both android and Steam (on pc)

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Azathoth posted:

Can anyone recommend me a game that meets the following criteria:

1) Non-freemium/no IAP beyond a single unlock or the cost of purchasing the app. Or actually free of course, but I'm willing to pay literally anything for a game that meets the other criteria. No ads either, though I'm happy to pay a fee to turn off ads.

2) Turn-based or similar, not something real-time that I can just pause. I want to do an action, have that action affect the game, then have the game wait for my next action.

Ideally, it'd be something like that, where I can put it down at the drop of a hat and pick it back up whenever, but with at least some thought being necessary for each individual action.

3) A non-childish art style. This one is obviously subjective, but no matter how great you think "Strawberry Shortcake's Fantastic Bakery of Amazingness" is, if I'd get funny looks if someone saw me playing it in public, it's not what I'm looking for.

4) Replayability, or at least a whole bunch of content to chew through. I'm cool with paying for content packs, so long as they're each meaty enough to justify the cost.

Ideally, I'd like a game that is fun in short bursts, but can also be played longer if time allows. Right now, my go-to game for all this is solitaire, before that, it was Desert Golfing. Game type or the details of mechanics doesn't really matter.

I've previously enjoyed Lyne, Flow Free, Guild of Dungeoneering, Sentinels of the Multiverse, Earthcore: Shattered Elements, and Star Realms.

The only game that might meet the above criteria that I have tried and didn't like is Battlefleet Gothic: Leviathan. It did exactly what it was trying to do, but somewhere in the massive pile of rules, it lost the "fun" factor completely.

Anyone have thoughts?

The game you're looking for is Hunt The Wumpus.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

dope

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
can someone list good games i can buy outright instead of f2p poo poo

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Lara Croft Go, Deus Ex Go, Hitman Go
Motorsports Manager
Sage Solitaire (one time ad unlock purchase)
Monument Valley

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

There's a new one, called Caves. It's free, $5 for no ads. I really like it. It has some persistent upgrades for your guy, there's no hunger (maybe a pro or con), and it's pretty hard. It's brand new, so a lot of features don't work, but it's completely playable. I've been enjoying it on the train for the past few days. It's updated daily, and the dev responds quickly to review comments if you ask for something.

Pro-tip: remember that the inversion scrolls convert poison into healing, and poison potions damage a TON more than healing potions, so if you have them, keep a hold of them.

EDIT: I hate Sproggiwood. I get RL's are supposed to be hard, but Sproggiwood is just stupid, because sometimes there's portals that open that dump guys, and those guys have weapons that make you teleport, so some times you'll be having a good run and suddenly you get hit once, and warp all over the map getting hit and then die instantly. Or there's those fish that are tethered together where you have to kill both, but then you end up with no option to kill them since you don't have a weapon that hits two squares. It's just really broken, and not in a rougelike way.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Eonwe posted:

can someone list good games i can buy outright instead of f2p poo poo
Enchanted Cave 2 was fun but kind of short

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber

tater_salad posted:

I wish dungeon raid was updated :(

You and me both man. I'll come back to it every now and then but correct me if I'm wrong, but did they slow down the animation speed at some point? I distinctly remember the tile clearing was much faster when I started playing.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Knowlue posted:

You and me both man. I'll come back to it every now and then but correct me if I'm wrong, but did they slow down the animation speed at some point? I distinctly remember the tile clearing was much faster when I started playing.

Apparently it's a post jellybean thing. Just never fixed, or maybe constantly fixed and rebroken. Sigh.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm confused by Fallen London. Just started the Last Constable but somehow got Family and Law so it won't let me progress.

Basically, the actions available to your character depend on what things you have, and the number of those things. And by "things" I mean almost everything in the game, such as: the number of your basic starter stats (Dangerous, Persuasive, etc.), whether you have item X, the quantity of item X that you have, whether or not you have temporary stat or quality Y, the quantity of temporary stat Y that you have, and so on.

Options can available or unavailable for reasons such as the following:
--you have thing X
--you don't have thing X
--you have more than a certain number of thing X
--you have less than a certain number of thing X
--you have exactly a certain number of thing X
--you have within a specific numerical range of thing X

It's really the same as any other game, just that the game doesn't explain everything to you, and you have to piece together things by yourself. The mechanic itself is pretty simple though.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Also there's some stat called the airs of london which I'm pretty sure is just a random value 1-100 or something, which changes every turn. So some options depend on that being above or below a certain threshold, etc. adding a bit of randomness to certain encounters.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Caffeine IV posted:

I would outright rebuy an updated Dungeon Raid. Like five times over.

Yes, please! Maybe the NimbleBros can set the source from the original dev?

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Well, Card Crawl is wonderful for my want of some sort of card based game.

Any suggestions for roguelikes or long RPGS? Or is Pixel Dungeon pretty much the best out there? I wasn't huge on Caves's control scheme - felt really clunky and slow.

I also remembered I adore match three games as well. I remember Hero Emblems on iOS being pretty fun, but trying to find similar is a gigantic chore. Just a simple match-three that doesn't need to have online connection.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
You're playing Shattered Pixel Dungeon right?

Also check out Hoplite

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Lowness 72 posted:

You're playing Shattered Pixel Dungeon right?

Holy poo poo, now I am. This is so much more improved on the original!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

pulp rag posted:

Well, Card Crawl is wonderful for my want of some sort of card based game.

Any suggestions for roguelikes or long RPGS? Or is Pixel Dungeon pretty much the best out there? I wasn't huge on Caves's control scheme - felt really clunky and slow.

I also remembered I adore match three games as well. I remember Hero Emblems on iOS being pretty fun, but trying to find similar is a gigantic chore. Just a simple match-three that doesn't need to have online connection.
For long RPGs, the versions of Final Fantasy 4 and 6 are quite good. They're the updated versions made for the (I think) GBA, not just direct ports from the SNES, which may be good or bad depending on your perspective.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
The app in Fallen London pissed me off, I'm on a stock nougut nexus 5x... I'm now doing browser based with some extensions from here:
http://community.failbettergames.com/topic9506-fallen-london-extensions-whitelist.aspx

There is indeed a thread, I've added everyone from here and there and I will post an updated list of actives at some point:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3372867

I sold my shackles straight off and have been gaming my grind with this pet:
http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Talkative_Rattus_Faber
Shadowy -25
Persuasive -25
Watchful -25
Dangerous -25
I can always go back to prison for more shackles later (helps with minor faction criminals?) and if I want to grind a stat up harder challenges like near impossible will net higher stat gains (although they will obviously fail)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

pulp rag posted:

Holy poo poo, now I am. This is so much more improved on the original!

It isn't long really but Cardinal Quest 2 is a lot of fun. Its a roguelike with some neat systems

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
I really really really want to keep playing Animation Throwdown, but they make it so hard to love.

The actual GAME is pretty good and the fanservice (it's all fanservice) is great.

Drop rates are RIDICULOUSLY low. IAP are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced. Arena stamina regeneration is RIDICULOUSLY low.

I wasn't paying attention and I spent :10bux: on gems, thinking that it would get me a bunch of cards from their weekly special. Nope. I spent the money to get one card (which turned out to be solid, but could have been lovely) and enough leftover gems to do next to nothing else.

Of course, I could always just spend $30 to get one random legendary card that would likely not be a Bob's Burger card like I would want it to be. At least I can watch 3 ads to increase my drop odds... Although, I've never actually gotten a drop doing it this way, so I don't think it actually works. It only seems to work for one drop chance, too, so it's three ads between every battle to get what must be an incredibly marginal drop rate increase. It's definitely not explained well.

ALL I WANT TO DO IS COMBINE GENE AND TEDDY WITH CAT ANUSES AND FOOD TRUCKS.

It sucks that these sort of things almost never change for the better.

1337kutkufan6969 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 24, 2016

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

I really really really want to keep playing Animation Throwdown, but they make it so hard to love.

The actual GAME is pretty good and the fanservice (it's all fanservice) is great.

Drop rates are RIDICULOUSLY low. IAP are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced. Arena stamina regeneration is RIDICULOUSLY low.

I wasn't paying attention and I spent :10bux: on gems, thinking that it would get me a bunch of cards from their weekly special. Nope. I spent the money to get one card (which turned out to be solid, but could have been lovely) and enough leftover gems to do next to nothing else.

Of course, I could always just spend $30 to get one random legendary card that would likely not be a Bob's Burger card like I would want it to be. At least I can watch 3 ads to increase my drop odds... Although, I've never actually gotten a drop doing it this way, so I don't think it actually works. It only seems to work for one drop chance, too, so it's three ads between every battle to get what must be an incredibly marginal drop rate increase. It's definitely not explained well.

Yeah if they made it not less of a freemium game it could be REALLY solid. Like you said, the gameplay is really solid, and rounds are super quick. I've got two purple cards (Roger and Roger's Closet) which are pretty powerful, and one blue, and haven't spent a dime, but I have been playing for about a week or two. The card upgrading mechanics are pretty original and the combinations are pretty interesting, too.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Is there a thread for Shadowverse that I'm not finding, or is it not popular enough to warrant one?

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
"Yes, I remember the Aguamoose..."
I just finished the banner saga, and really enjoyed it. I've looked but can't find any news about part 2 coming out on Android, does anyone know anything? I'm also wondering whether uninstalling it will delete my save game for when part 2 comes out - does anyone know if the save files are kept?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

The Aguamoose posted:

I'm also wondering whether uninstalling it will delete my save game for when part 2 comes out - does anyone know if the save files are kept?

The Play page says it supports cloud saving via Play Games so that save will stay intact (assuming you used the feature and it didn't gently caress up) but you'll lose the save file on your device along with the rest of the game once you uninstall it.

You can also try backing up your save and user data for later using an app like Helium.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 25, 2016

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Shadow Wars is another gatcha match 3 game. Looks like it might have potential.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

I agree with this. I think I'll keep playing for the fan service, but the drop rates suck. I don't have any epic or legendary cards, and I can only play for a short while before I run out of stamina. If I were made of money I would waste some cash on gems but it definitely isn't worth it.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

Rapner posted:

Shadow Wars is another gatcha match 3 game. Looks like it might have potential.

This is ok so far. I just got to the second area and unlocked guild stuff, have you made it that far yet?

Rapner
May 7, 2013

MPLS to NOLA posted:

This is ok so far. I just got to the second area and unlocked guild stuff, have you made it that far yet?

Not quite, I've mainly been watching my better half play it. I'm not far off though.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
FYI we've got Sproggiwood on sale this week for $1.99: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.freeholdgames.sproggiwood&hl=en

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy
Just wanted to drop another fond recommendation for Fallen London. I've just started today, and I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

My name in game is Sir Zorblack if anyone else would like to make my acquaintance.

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
"Yes, I remember the Aguamoose..."

Thanks, will fiddle about with Play to make sure it's linked properly before uninstalling then.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

The Aguamoose posted:

Thanks, will fiddle about with Play to make sure it's linked properly before uninstalling then.

That's a good idea. I'm not sure how Banner Saga implements it; some games like This War of Mine do it automatically while others require you to manually upload a save so it's best to check.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

mrkillboy posted:

Sorcery! 4 is out now for all those looking forward to playing it.

I picked this up as soon as it was available, but just as a warning to others, I'm going to say skip this one. Near the beginning they remove the ability to rewind decisions, meaning if you run into one of the game's frequent instant deaths you'll have to essentially replay chapter 4 to that point. Worse, the game has bugged out for me - I am unable to take any action, and since I cannot rewind I can't use that to fix it. Kinda sad as the first 3 chapters were great.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Trastion posted:

That sentence makes just as much sense as any that you will get in fallen london...

i stayed my hand on the verge of buying the second candle thingy and never logged back in, ever

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
So like, are you totally hosed in Sorcery! 2 if you don't have the exact right items to find all the spell lines?

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Rapner posted:

Not quite, I've mainly been watching my better half play it. I'm not far off though.

Hi Rap, could you log into legendary game of hereos and pass guild leader off?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Millennial Sexlord posted:

So like, are you totally hosed in Sorcery! 2 if you don't have the exact right items to find all the spell lines?

No, part 2 lets you return to the start without losing your poo poo, just imposing a penalty of -1 max stamina each time (you can regain some of this in 3). It's not too difficult to get everything in one run if you know what you're doing. It's pretty easy to get everything in two even if you don't. Or you can use the rewind function, but obviously you lose all progress you rewind. Just don't get too used to that rewind feature because it mostly doesn't exist in 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Big Ink posted:

Hi Rap, could you log into legendary game of hereos and pass guild leader off?

Yep, done.