Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Passengers looks awful though, just a rom-com set in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I am tired of Jennifer Lawrence.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I want more defiance and I don't care who knows it

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Brawnfire posted:

I want more defiance and I don't care who knows it

If we're wishing for things can I get a couple more seasons of Stargate?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Baronjutter posted:

Hey we got The Expanse
We did. It's also my understanding that Syfy is playing catchup since they produced this very good serialized drama with BSG before it was cool -- then when the other networks created hits with their own serials, Syfy largely stuck to low-rent paranormal fare such as Ghost Hunters. So The Expanse is a product of them realizing they screwed up their own formula.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Which is... you know, pretty similar to what happened with Star Trek, a series that had multiple TV shows running on air at the same time for many years while mediocre movies were steadily pumped out. It's almost like these things are cyclical...
Indeed. And I've always said that Star Wars makes for better movies while Trek works best as a T.V. show. The rivalry was always dumb because the two franchises are really meant for different formats. Conceptually, Star Wars movies are simple Greek tragedies told through pulp sci-fi adventure. It works well on the silver screen. While I love the Trek movies, none of them are classics in the way the original trilogy was.

Lucas tried to go high concept (i.e. trade disputes) with the prequels and it was an artistic failure, though I suppose they were profitable.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Arguably Wrath of Khan is a classic.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SwissCM posted:

For geeks, not pop culture in general.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Expanse is very good, but syfy has been making pretty decent poo poo for awhile even if it didn't tickle everyone's fancy. Defiance was great and Warehouse 13 was fun as poo poo. Even Eureka was fun.

Really, there been at least one show on Syfy that's demanded my attention since BSG stopped. Also, say what you will about wrestling and ghost hunting, but Syfy had stayed truer to their premise than almost any speciality TV network out there.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SwissCM posted:

On a recent re-watch of it I actually found it not so great. Undiscovered Country and the one with whales were far more entertaining.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

8one6 posted:

If we're wishing for things can I get a couple more seasons of Stargate?

Coincidentally, SG-1 is another show that had end-of-life ratings that a lot of shows would kill for nowadays.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'm still holding out for a second season of Space: Above and Beyond.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Paradoxish posted:

Coincidentally, SG-1 is another show that had end-of-life ratings that a lot of shows would kill for nowadays.

Hahaha, I love that still. "Cancel this poo poo. We can do better."

...time passes...

"gently caress. gently caress gently caress gently caress FUCCCKKKKKKK"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Eh, it's not like it would have ratings like that today because everything has gone down.

1mil viewers for a genre show is considered renewal worthy right now. The audience is just so split. There's too much to watch.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'd like to see this compared with general TV ratings. TNG was still before everyone had a billion channels and even really popular shows have ratings that would have been garbage 30 years ago.

E: I guess I should read the thread first.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

More and more people are cord-cutters now too, abandoning traditional TV in favour of various streaming options even if it means getting stuff a little late on Hulu or a lot late on Netflix (or not at all :canada:.) Who knows what the actual numbers are for that though, it could be an overestimated phenomenon whether it's a growing trend or not, but sometimes I feel like if it weren't for sports a whole lot of people wouldn't bother with TV at all anymore.

Even stuff that used to dominate cable ratings like WWE has slid very harshly downhill over the last decade or so. The kind of conversations people used to have about Voyager and Enterprise's Nielsen ratings are happening again in PSP every week.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The spaceship is pretty.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Delsaber posted:

More and more people are cord-cutters now too, abandoning traditional TV in favour of various streaming options even if it means getting stuff a little late on Hulu or a lot late on Netflix (or not at all :canada:.) Who knows what the actual numbers are for that though, it could be an overestimated phenomenon whether it's a growing trend or not, but sometimes I feel like if it weren't for sports a whole lot of people wouldn't bother with TV at all anymore.

Even stuff that used to dominate cable ratings like WWE has slid very harshly downhill over the last decade or so. The kind of conversations people used to have about Voyager and Enterprise's Nielsen ratings are happening again in PSP every week.

Well, the WWE sliding downhill is mostly the WWE's own fault given that Vince McMahon is and always has been a batshit insane crazy person who enjoys pissing off fans on purpose and only kinda gets away with it because the WWE has had no meaningful competition since the demise of WCW

I'm totally a cord-cutter, though

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Gammatron 64 posted:

We did get Mass Effect, even though it was a video game. I liked Mass Effect because it was a hell of a lot like Star Wars and Star Trek.

Bioware was smart enough to rip off so many franchises that nearly every type of science fiction geek could find something they liked in Mass Effect.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Man I've been watching a bunch of random Trek lately and it makes me jones for more Mass Effect *hard*. I'm considering replaying them... but then I remember how loving clunky 1 is, and how much I dislike the ending.

They're so good though :( hurry up Andromeda, come out and disappoint me all over again

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I always got more of a Babylon 5 vibe from Mass Effect, at least in its themes and setpieces, the Citadel in particular is probably the most obvious, but I don't think that was necessarily intentional. There's definitely quite a bit of original Star Wars, Alien, and the TOS Star Trek films in its art design, and the music felt straight out of the John Carpenter or Vangelis playbook. I'm pretty sure Bioware pointed out those influences themselves in a lot of pre-release material. Gunning so hard for the look and feel of late 70s/80s sci-fi films is part of the reason I love those games so much despite their issues.

I'm looking forward to Andromeda but part of me would rather see someone try their hand at a TV adaption.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well, the WWE sliding downhill is mostly the WWE's own fault given that Vince McMahon is and always has been a batshit insane crazy person who enjoys pissing off fans on purpose and only kinda gets away with it because the WWE has had no meaningful competition since the demise of WCW

The sad part is that their product has actually been improving (or at least modernizing) as Vince cedes more and more control to his successors, but the ratings are continuing their freefall anyway. Vince McMahon is the Rick Berman to Triple H's Manny Coto, I guess.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

DarthJeebus posted:

Aquiel wtf. I think that may be the one TNG episode I can't sit through.

Yeah, Jeri Taylor, Moore, and Braga worked together on that one and it just feels like filler. You can sort of see all of their influences in the way it's kludged together. Taylor's story has her signature convoluted high concept premise and emphasis on "human" drama (without the grounding to make it work) and Braga and Moore's teleplay has all the pacing issues, nonsense tech, stilted dialog, and contrived character beats I associate with their lesser works. It's just a deadly combination of a weak concept and flawed execution and a show that didn't have to churn out 20+ hours of TV a season probably would have just scrapped it.

Also, apparently, making it be the dog all along was a last minute thing because they decided not to make Aquiel or skeevy station dude the killer and had to come up with a left-field twist instead. Of course, it wasn't really much of a twist once they told us a shapeshifter was involved, so seeing all the characters ignore that possibility for like 15 minutes until it actually tried to kill them is just :ughh:. You'd think someone in the future would have seen The Thing. Honestly, no respect for the classics...

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Good grief, STO's Enterprise F looks even more like a spoon in the real world.

https://twitter.com/STO_JamJamz/status/779067667911106560

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

bull3964 posted:

The more telling thing about Trek popularity is that at one point in time there were two series running and one in preproduction while movies were happening every few years. Now we get two films a decade and are getting a series one step removed from a fan production.

Despite the modern TNG era sliding into a pit with "These Are the Voyages" and "Nemesis" waiting at the bottom, and a general pissing away of viewer goodwill over the years, there's:
-HD re-releases of TOS and TNG,
-Three new movies
-An upcoming TV series made by people who actually seem to have proven talent and/or enthusiasm for Star Trek (and we don't have anything like enough information to judge how good/bad it's going to be - might as wait and see before deciding it's crap)

Kind of having trouble feeling bad for Star Trek. All Babylon 5 fans want is a HD remaster. Or even a better DVD transfer.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Delsaber posted:

There's definitely quite a bit of original Star Wars, Alien, and the TOS Star Trek films in its art design

Design-wise Mass Effect is 100% Syd Mead, it's just that those other franchises also used him as an influence (to a lesser extent than Mass Effect - I wasn't kidding about the hundred percent).

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The Dark One posted:

Bioware was smart enough to rip off so many franchises that nearly every type of science fiction geek could find something they liked in Mass Effect.

They even managed to take inspiration from Battlestar Galactica and the Matrix and completely botch the ending!

MikeJF posted:

Design-wise Mass Effect is 100% Syd Mead, it's just that those other franchises also used him as an influence (to a lesser extent than Mass Effect - I wasn't kidding about the hundred percent).

Yeah, I love love LOVE Syd Mead's artwork. I've wanted to have his art books for a long time, but I never get them as they're so expensive.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/40143737@N02/sets/72157622906191929/with/4197842078/

We need more Syd Mead inspired design in everything.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, I love love LOVE Syd Mead's artwork. I've wanted to have his art books for a long time, but I never get them as they're so expensive.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/40143737@N02/sets/72157622906191929/with/4197842078/

I can't imagine Blade Runner without his work.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Dirty posted:

Kind of having trouble feeling bad for Star Trek. All Babylon 5 fans want is a HD remaster. Or even a better DVD transfer.

Life imitates art.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Dirty posted:

I said this in the B5 thread, I think our best bet for that is convincing some rich eccentric nerd to basically go to Warner Bros and say "okay, idiots, here's a check for [however many million it would take to do it right], let's get on with it"

And even then I could see WB being contrarian and petulantly refusing to do it for some bullshit reason.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I said this in the B5 thread, I think our best bet for that is convincing some rich eccentric nerd to basically go to Warner Bros and say "okay, idiots, here's a check for [however many million it would take to do it right], let's get on with it"

And even then I could see WB being contrarian and petulantly refusing to do it for some bullshit reason.

Time for a letter-writing campaign to Jeff Bezos or Elon Musk.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Voyager "Prey"

Man, Voyager must have been thrilled to inherit all of these spacesuits and phaser rifles from First Contact. And Kurn is back! Except now he's a Predator.

Also, this is the first time Janeway pulled a Picard; she moralized and changed my mind about something. Janeway risks all of their lives to try and save a lethal enemy because it's wounded and just wants to go home. I don't know if I agree but I think it's definitely in keeping with the finest ideals of Starfleet. Luckily the plot removes the ramifications of her decision!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Isn't B5's issue technical though? Something about lost or corrupted effects files?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, I don't know about that, fan largess is great for preserving old sets and costumes that no one wants anymore, but this would be a major business deal and there are always strings attached on that sort of thing. You can't just have Johny Techbucks give them money and say "make these DVDs please." At least, I don't think he could, not without also acquiring the rights to the property. Now, he could buy the rights, if he had a production/distribution company lined up, and if that company was willing to do the job at cost (presumably because he's paying them, too), and WB might even be willing to sell, but he'd have to be able to pony up millions of dollars in liquid capital. That's a tall order though. No corporate board is going to approve a deal that has no chance of profit and even the super-wealthy rarely have that kind of money to burn.

Zurui posted:

Also, this is the first time Janeway pulled a Picard; she moralized and changed my mind about something.

Oh come on, she must have done that before. Didn't she do that in the Q suicide episode?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Duckbag posted:

Oh come on, she must have done that before. Didn't she do that in the Q suicide episode?

I'm skipping around a bit and haven't hit that one yet. Mulgrew isn't bad but she usually doesn't have the chops to hit the "The First Duty" levels.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Zurui posted:

I'm skipping around a bit and haven't hit that one yet. Mulgrew isn't bad but she usually doesn't have the chops to hit the "The First Duty" levels.

Kate Mulgrew has the chops. Have you seen Orange is the New Black? The Voyager producers literally told almost everyone to tone it down.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Isn't B5's issue technical though? Something about lost or corrupted effects files?

Yes, the film is in good shape and got a good (for the time, although it could be better) widescreen transfer, but the effects were rendered to SD video masters and that's what was used, so they zoomed and cropped it for widescreen.

I don't know the status of the actual CGI data, whether it was irretrievably lost or just too disorganized to collect it all, or the corporate suits decided it'd be quicker and cheaper to just reuse the master tapes. If memory serves, JMS had some suspicions about it, but I could be conflating that with any number of other suspicions he has.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I've seen OITNB, but there's a long time between those two shows. She has clearly matured as an actress.

I get that the show was run poorly, though. It also doesn't help that she's written like Picard one week and Archer the next.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Gammatron 64 posted:

I love that guy's stuff so much that "normal" artistic design feels wrong to me now. I would be overjoyed if a Star Trek series took serious inspiration from Syd Mead's work for it's art design.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Zurui posted:

I get that the show was run poorly, though. It also doesn't help that she's written like Picard one week and Archer the next.

Sterling Archer.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, I'd say Mulgrew certainly had the chops -- Voyager actually has a really solid cast, for the most part, but the writers weren't that into doing speeches (especially later on, when the show became more action-oriented) and couldn't usually deliver on them even when they tried. I'm not all that nostalgic about Picard's speechifying, honestly, because for every great monologue of his, there's another that fell flat and the frequency with which he wandered into pompous blowhard territory really undermined the character. As great an actor as Stewart can be, his performances weren't as consistently brilliant as his reputation suggests and, sometimes, he's actually kind of bad. The writing and directing had a lot to do with that, certainly, but I think that actors also just have good days and bad days and it's probably easier to have a good day when you know that your talent will be respected and put to good use. A great actor can elevate lousy material, but, at a certain point, elevated crap is still crap and if you know it'll be crap no matter what you do, what's the point? Professional pride only goes so far, especially when you're not being given work you can be proud of. I don't think it's any coincidence that the acting on Voyager actually seemed to get worse (especially from the neglected members of the ensemble) even as other parts of the show got better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Tighclops posted:

I love that guy's stuff so much that "normal" artistic design feels wrong to me now. I would be overjoyed if a Star Trek series took serious inspiration from Syd Mead's work for it's art design.

I especially love it when his art is borderline surreal and quasi-retro. I love it when his art gets extremely alien and weird.

A lot of his designs have made it into film and TV (Blade Runner, Aliens, Tron, Turn A Gundam, etc.) but his landscapes and architecture are what really grab me in how unusual they are. You didn't see that kind of stuff in film often because during his heyday, you needed to rely on sets and matte paintings.