Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
The fighters sound like they might be fun to play with. Are they reasonable in combat or are they shite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Ive got 2 accounts. One with a cutter one with a corvette. And tons of credits, what should I do when 2.2 is released?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Helter Skelter posted:

Well, I just mean that any inconsistency in stick movements will be your own fault rather than that of lovely sensors/springs in the stick. Nothing will make you better at flying with FA off more than practice, buying a new stick isn't suddenly gonna turn you into Isinona no matter how good it is.

Ok, but at least im not having to correct the sticks fuckups in addition to my own which will be work enough.
Ill prolly get the whole package and try out the stick, but its very possible i wont like the limited buttons.
The throttle on the other hand (ha!) has 4 hat switches and the 2 flaps i definitly wont use for menu navigation to gently caress around with.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Ok, but at least im not having to correct the sticks fuckups in addition to my own which will be work enough.
Ill prolly get the whole package and try out the stick, but its very possible i wont like the limited buttons.
The throttle on the other hand (ha!) has 4 hat switches and the 2 flaps i definitly wont use for menu navigation to gently caress around with.

The hotas x has an analog rocker instead of the flaps, I use that for yaw because I hate twisty sticks. Hopefully I can use them for that, even if not analog (yaw is weak enough that you don't really need analog precision imo)

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

H13 posted:

The fighters sound like they might be fun to play with. Are they reasonable in combat or are they shite?

Apparently they're designed to be glass cannons, unlike their CQC counterparts. Will wait for confirmation though.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

TorakFade posted:

The hotas x has an analog rocker instead of the flaps, I use that for yaw because I hate twisty sticks. Hopefully I can use them for that, even if not analog (yaw is weak enough that you don't really need analog precision imo)

I have a Fly5 and it has a hat switch i use for lateral side to side and up down, twist for yaw and stick for roll/pitch

the 4 top buttons i use for Target, Boost, FA and Friendship drive (i also have a rift)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Glass cannon can be a fun thing, if you can retry quickly and cheaply enough. How is dying in a fighter handled?

AFAIK, dying in a SRV (I haven't killed myself in a SRV yet, someone confirm) you just get respawned where you last docked, but insurance is 0, which is good enough for me tbh.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Whining works in the favor of good gameplay for once https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/290165-Neutron-star-FSD-boost-info/page44?p=4548522#post4548522

quote:

Hi - another update on this. After reading the feedback and much discussion we're going to implement the following:

- White Dwarfs will confer a 50% boost
- Neutron stars will confer a 300% boost

We're hoping to squeeze this into the next beta update, which will be next week. If it doesn't make that build then it will be the next. Obviously we need you guys to test these changes and see how they play out.

Thanks!

Michael

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I use a regular T.16000m right now (with my left hand on the keyboard instead of a throttle) and while more buttons would be nice, it's not really a huge deal overall for Elite. The throttle should have more than enough room for all the essentials.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Truga posted:

Glass cannon can be a fun thing, if you can retry quickly and cheaply enough. How is dying in a fighter handled?

AFAIK, dying in a SRV (I haven't killed myself in a SRV yet, someone confirm) you just get respawned where you last docked, but insurance is 0, which is good enough for me tbh.

Getting blown up in an SRV sends you back to the ship, now minus one SRV. This makes bouncing around on the ground remarkably safe.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tippis posted:

Getting blown up in an SRV sends you back to the ship, now minus one SRV. This makes bouncing around on the ground remarkably safe.

Oh. Well, then. Load up your turret's nest max shield cutter with hangars, go have at it :v:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

H13 posted:

They're going to have their damage raised in an upcoming patch but they count as an extra size 3 gun that flies around.

They're amazing at combat maneuvers - cqc maneuverability in the main game allows you to really and truly stay glued to things' asses, dumping damage. They have like a total of 50MJ of shielding (depending on model) so most things oneshot them.

I think the damage is too low however. They're still totally worth it because they're super loving fun, even as a 'planet' explorer of sorts.

In fact, I think there's a missed oportunity with a 'fighter' that can deploy wheels and fold its wings. Flying an iFighter on a planet is great fun.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Truga posted:

Oh. Well, then. Load up your turret's nest max shield cutter with hangars, go have at it :v:

One hanger per ship.

Sorry cuz.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
How fast is their straight line/ boost? Also whats their range from mship

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

That's pretty cool: doubly so if it stacks with mat-boosting. At least it's worthwhile to try now, as opposed to it being 25%.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

How fast is their straight line/ boost? Also whats their range from mship

Taipan is sluggish at 300 boost. This is around the other 2's cruising speed.

Condor and iFighter boost near or above 400m/s.

All of them are getting a 150m/s buff to their boost speeds, so they can chase engineered poo poo.

Range is 30km from mothership, quite generous.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Is the Taipan getting anything over the other two to balance that difference in speed?

Seems pretty ridiculous to be that much slower than the other two.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
It's the toughest, which doesn't make up for how much of a snail it is, IMO

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

iirc they mentioned fighters getting a balance pass next week

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Can point defense shoot down fighters?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

loving yes. Neutron star surfing is gonna be sweet

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Can point defense shoot down fighters?

No, and gimbals have a hard time tracking.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

LCL-Dead posted:

Is the Taipan getting anything over the other two to balance that difference in speed?

Seems pretty ridiculous to be that much slower than the other two.

Best looking no nonsense motherfucker :coal:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

So who had "the Beluga doesn't carry as many fake people as I think it should :byodood:"-square on the brpwm sea insane immersion fixations bingo card?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So who had "the Beluga doesn't carry as many fake people as I think it should :byodood:"-square on the brpwm sea insane immersion fixations bingo card?

I have it right next to my “the Beluga carries too many fake people”-square. Has that one also happened yet?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

How many is that? Last time I checked, a single size 6 cabin-module is enough space for 8 people. This means I could stuff something like 40+ people in my Anaconda, which is a lot considering it was originally a small system defense frigate.

As long as the Beluga can house 60-90 people, there should be no complaints. The ship is large, but it's not exactly a Federal battlecruiser.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Brown sea sailors seem to think that because a Carnival Cruise liner can carry 3000 people so should their starship.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The anaconda was originally an unusually heavily armed bulk freighter :colbert:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Brown sea sailors seem to think that because a Carnival Cruise liner can carry 3000 people so should their starship.

To be fair, if you're OK with 95% of your passengers dying to explosive decompression immediately after launch that would indeed be possible.

Coincidentally, the surviving 150 poor bastards are what you can probably stuff into a Beluga Liner the normal, not-insane way.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
Any idea what the Beluga is going to cost when it goes live? I'd unironically love to give the Love Boat a whirl.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Going by beta prices, somewhere north of 80 million.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I really like the Beluga and passenger gameplay.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Passengers sound like fun from what I have seen. Without spending ungodly sums on the purpose-made ships that suck at everything else apparently (the Orca is an abomination for what it costs), would a clipper be a good cruise boat? Or are there limitations in place so without an Orca or beluga you lose out on 80% of passenger missions or something?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
I think the mission rewards have generally been tweaked downwards across the board in Beta 2.2. For me personally, this is a good thing. :)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The passenger ships have lots of big slots that can only hold passengers iirc from the reveal.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

TorakFade posted:

Passengers sound like fun from what I have seen. Without spending ungodly sums on the purpose-made ships that suck at everything else apparently (the Orca is an abomination for what it costs), would a clipper be a good cruise boat? Or are there limitations in place so without an Orca or beluga you lose out on 80% of passenger missions or something?

You lose out on the luxury cabins, and the entire VIP mechanic. I haven't delved deep enough into it to know whether this affects pay much but I believe you do lose out on the more interesting assignments - tourist spots, long range stuff, etc.

My experience is that normal passengers are cargo that talks back and unreasonably demands me to taxi them further than originally agreed to, to the point where I posted a wall of text on the brown sea asking them to tone it the hell down until we get the option of saying 'no'.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
My point was that rather than thinking that rewards should be like 2.1, and passenger missions be 'brought up' to be comparable in terms of cr/distance or cr/time taken to 2.1 levels, I'd rather other missions were balanced downwards. Hauling biowaste anywhere, over any distance should make minimal profit. :D

...cue someone saying "NO! Elite is already too much of a grind!" - which, to me, misses the point entirely as Elite simulates a 'jobbing space pilot' quite nicely, and jobs are a grind. Even ones involving fantasy spaceships...

...cue someone saying "I'm a father of seven! I don't have time for this! I play games for fun, not as a second job! TO which I say, "Meh! Wrong game! Door thattaway! Sorry!". ;)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

TorakFade posted:

Any ship can haul passengers. Cabins have two sizes 6 and 4. There's three classes (C6/C4):
First Class (8 passengers/2 passengers)
Business Class: (16/4)
Economy Class: (32/8)

The Beluga and Orca can fit special C5 Luxury cabins that can fit 6 passengers, but those are super bugged at the moment but I believe they count as first class seats as far as missions go.

Neither the Orca or the Beluga are "garbage" ships. They're passenger ships. They are ships you use if you want to do passenger missions. They can't fight and they don't really excel at hauling cargo. Bitching about them is like bitching that you can't trade very well in a Viper :shrug:

My only real complaint about either of them is that the fuel tanks are hilariously small but that's getting buffed.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 23, 2016

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
My sperg with the orca is that the Beluga is so much better in pretty much every single way, for not a lot more money

For one the Beluga doesn't need a G5 FSD range mod to be actually usable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Any ship can haul passengers. Cabins have two sizes 6 and 4. There's three classes (C6/C4):
First Class (8 passengers/2 passengers)
Business Class: (16/4)
Economy Class: (32/8)

The Beluga and Orca can fit special C5 Luxury cabins that can fit 6 passengers, but those are super bugged at the moment but I believe they count as first class seats as far as missions go.

Neither the Orca or the Beluga are "garbage" ships. They're passenger ships. They are ships you use if you want to do passenger missions. They can't fight and they don't really excel at hauling cargo. Bitching about them is like bitching that you can't trade very well in a Viper :shrug:

My only real complaint about either of them is that the fuel tanks are hilariously small but that's getting buffed.

Thanks for the breakdown!

Orca might not be useless, but sure as hell overpriced unless vip missions pay out hugely...

• Locked thread