Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Everyone wants a totalitarian regime that has the same belief system as they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Everyone wants a totalitarian regime that has the same belief system as they do.

I would happily live in a police state that sent officers to the houses of anti-vaxxers and forced them to read middle school science textbooks at gunpoint. Also climate change deniers, Trump voters, and really they could just go mad with power in my book.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Kajeesus posted:

I would happily live in a police state that sent officers to the houses of anti-vaxxers and forced them to read middle school science textbooks at gunpoint. Also climate change deniers, Trump voters, and really they could just go mad with power in my book.

Look, democracy is a great idea and all, but it's unrealistic. It's an idealized system that's almost setup to fail.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Mouse Dresser posted:

Exactly! There is no Good Guy Corporation out there just wanting to hire folks to give them a job. Head to any corporate store (or hell, even a mom and pop place) and you'll see it almost chronically understaffed. Wal-Mart, which can certainly afford to hire more people, is horrifically understaffed. If the minimum wage is increased, places may choose to lay employees off/fire them. But that falls on the business itself, not on the people earning more. But realistically, places that have to pay their employees a higher minimum wage will just increase the cost of their goods.

http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/rele....3-percent.html

A restaurant by me opened a year ago after a year's worth of rehab to their building. It was an ok Mexican-American restaurant, but I think they had put something like $4.5 million into the space and then everything about the place was really average.
They shut down basically overnight and left a note on the door blaming their issues on federal and local minimum wage laws that were converging on December 1, meaning they couldn't give a raise to all their employees, or afford to have them work overtime under the new laws. Except the same people own another bar and grill and another regular bar, so none of this should have been a surprise in operating costs. Places like that are operating only because they are taking advantage of a lack of fair wage laws and by the hand of the free market, shouldn't exist.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

:laffo: that last comment.

Also that last image is so awful.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
"Wanna tell me I'm wrong again? I can gently caress you up all day."

Why so violent all the time? :smith:

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I see a post about once a week of someone mad on FB because someone got their order wrong at a fast food place and there's ALWAYS a comment about "and people want to give them $15/hr SMDH!!!" These people are incapable of making the connection that low/exploitative wages are why these places hire children in the first place.

There's a Taco Bell in town that is notorious for this poo poo. They are constantly hiring because their turnover is, in my estimation, about 3 weeks. The owner and manager are always complaining about how they can't find good people to work there, then hire a 15 year old for 4 hours a week at minimum wage. The employee headcount for this one small Taco Bell must be 40 people.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

quote:

I tag myself as every shooter #concerning

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
IoSM : #concerning

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

#addicting

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
It came from Imgur.

"kickassfacts"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is Wojtek the bear #1 on that list or #0?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Mikl posted:

It came from Imgur.

"kickassfacts"

I saw this on the show mayday. The air traffic Controller was not deemed at fault I believe, but was so messed up because of the accident, he quit and kind of just stopped doing stuff. This dude tracked him down and stabbed him in front of his home.

gently caress these "kickassfacts"

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Elblanco posted:

I saw this on the show mayday. The air traffic Controller was not deemed at fault I believe, but was so messed up because of the accident, he quit and kind of just stopped doing stuff. This dude tracked him down and stabbed him in front of his home.

loving gently caress, ATC is like the most stressful job on the planet, maybe behind bomb disarmament and astronaut. But sure, let's add the strain of potential murder for involvement in a tragedy to their burden.

gently caress Imgur, why do you try so hard to be hateful?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Elblanco posted:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

loving gently caress, ATC is like the most stressful job on the planet, maybe behind bomb disarmament and astronaut. But sure, let's add the strain of potential murder for involvement in a tragedy to their burden.
Are most ATCs military or ex military?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

WrenP-Complete posted:

No idea. Wouldn't surprise me though. The qualifications are harsh, to say the least.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Replace the "kickassopinions.com" with a puffin and we have something.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
The two ATCs I've known were both ex-military. One suffered a non-fatal heart attack and retired, the other one suffered a non-fatal brain hemorrhage and actually went back to work after 18 months of rehab and retraining, but he doesn't have serious relationships or cook for himself as stress-reducing tactics.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Fathis Munk posted:

IoSM : #concerning

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

WrenP-Complete posted:

I'm not sure about ATC's at airports, but in this case the ATC was working for a third party company that handled checkpoints mostly. On top of that, his co-worker was on break so he had double the work load for 15 minutes or so. In that time a passenger plane with kids from an arts school and the "kick rear end" guy's family collided with a shipping plane from DHL.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mouse Dresser posted:

Halloween wasn't that bad, at least not around here. Christmas was the worst though. Ah well, I got a better job touring with a theater show.

A lot of the anti-wage increase comics I've seen focus on the idea that raising the wage will result in the company laying people off. So somehow this is the fault of the employees who got the raise, not the fault of the lovely company that refuses to lessen their CEO's bonus.

A while ago I did some really quick back-of-the-napkin math for a theoretical small business with a few employees, and determined that any business that had to fire people or raise its prices exponentially to pay for a $15/hour minimum wage is probably operating on the cusp of bankruptcy in the first place.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
That loving mass-killer fandom poo poo is what made me quit tumblr forever.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

A while ago I did some really quick back-of-the-napkin math for a theoretical small business with a few employees, and determined that any business that had to fire people or raise its prices exponentially to pay for a $15/hour minimum wage is probably operating on the cusp of bankruptcy in the first place.

:ssh:

Don't tell anyone but a lot of small businesses are operating on the edge of insolvency at all times

It's America, drat it, everyone should get an Opportunity (to go bankrupt)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
They're always going to blame business failures on poo poo like minimum wage, ~Taxes!~ or other laws they had to abide by. This is because it majorly saves face by focusing the problem on things the business can claim they had no control over.

Also, I find it ironic that some most [all?] of these types are both anti immigration and anti raising minimum wage.

A sketchy business that hires people paid under the table isn't going to be as impacted by minimum wage hikes (and may just simply hire more people under the table if labor costs are such an issue for them)

A business that genuinely cares about protecting American workers will pay them a decent wage.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If your business is in danger of failing, you can always make an announcement on Facebook that you won't cater a gay wedding, or serve black people, and you'll get millions in donations!

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

That's offensive to people with Chron's disease.

:colbert:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Here's the Wikipedia for the mid air collision if anyone is interested in reading further:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9Cberlingen_mid-air_collision

In the US, I'd say controllers are roughly 50% prior military. Though I don't have exact figures on hand.

The Ferret King has a new favorite as of 17:02 on Sep 23, 2016

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Oh imgur.

Title : Just gained a lot of respect for this dude.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

props for avoiding the comments on his youtube vids then

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Why does Mr. Y have an 80s hair metal band logo?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Fathis Munk posted:

Oh imgur.

Title : Just gained a lot of respect for this dude.

How many people who "just gained a lot of respect for that dude" do you think used him to justify hating rap within that past 24 hours?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
IoSM: Never Is A Stong Word

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

"Huddy Mra Buddy" sounds like the name of a doll that, when you pull its string, will tell you all about ladder theory

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don't know if I like Ameen or Ame more.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Aman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Ferret King posted:

Here's the Wikipedia for the mid air collision if anyone is interested in reading further:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Überlingen_mid-air_collision

In the US, I'd say controllers are roughly 50% prior military. Though I don't have exact figures on hand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9Cberlingen_mid-air_collision

Fixed link.