Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

PaulC posted:

call out to your teammates to engage, amp up your speed boost, and hit q as they are reaching the enemy team. hit q as a major engagement is taking place, and the enemy team has gone in too deep to just back out.
There has been discussion in the Tryhard thread about this but no, use your Lucio ult after the engagement starts, not as it starts. Your team isn't getting benefit from you using it before they've started taking much damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Thoughtless posted:

I need some Lucio protips. When exactly should I use my ult?

I've been making the mistake of using it for every damage ult, which I've realized is bad. Like Mccree will just have to wait a second or two longer and then you die anyway. It also doesn't protect from D.Va's ult, which I thought it did.

So when DO I use it? Reaper and Pharah?

In my experience:

Ults you should speed boost away from:
McCree
Bastion
Hanzo
Junkrat
Mei
Torb
D.Va
Rein
Roadhog
Ana (depending on who she boosted and if they also ulted, obviously)

Ults you should CONSIDER break it down
Genji
Reaper (if you can see it coming, though more likely you'll just die in the middle of your ult cast)
Zarya

Ults you should ignore (because they are support/low-threat or too difficult to react to)
Tracer (You will never react quickly enough)
Pharah (There's a 50/50 shot she's a million miles in the sky wasting it anyway; amp healing and hope for the best)
Widow
Lucio
Mercy
Zen
Symmetra

PaulC posted:

call out to your teammates to engage, amp up your speed boost, and hit q as they are reaching the enemy team. hit q as a major engagement is taking place, and the enemy team has gone in too deep to just back out.

This is the best use for it, it's basically a "win this fight or make them blow three DPS ults" button. Hold back, let the enemy team engage fully, ult and swap to speed boost. Or on offense, talk everyone into diving together and it it once you've gone past the point of no return and are starting to take damage. Keep an eye on the number in the middle of your screen. If you go on a big dive and see your 5 drop to a 3, consider just holding off. You either got a couple of people picked or someone didn't follow you in.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i wish map choice was global across all servers and changed every 5 minutes or whatever

i don't really want to play the same map 5 times in a row

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Kenshin posted:

There has been discussion in the Tryhard thread about this but no, use your Lucio ult after the engagement starts, not as it starts. Your team isn't getting benefit from you using it before they've started taking much damage.

?? this isn't true. they get the armor even if they're at full health initially.

the issue with dropping the beat after someone starts taking focused damage is that the lag time means they may die before you slam the ground. you want to anticipate and hit it just an instant before your dps starts getting melted.

the timing is not easy, yes. you don't want to hit it before you have to. but hitting it half a second too late (whoops your mccree died) is much worse than hitting it half a second too early.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
A patch just happened for me, but no patch notes to be found. Had a 'new version, reset game' banner in-game and everything.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

PaulC posted:

the timing is not easy, yes. you don't want to hit it before you have to. but hitting it half a second too late (whoops your mccree died) is much worse than hitting it half a second too early.
Fair enough, you're right that optimal timing is tricky. Using it too early is just as much of a waste as using it late. I love seeing the enemy team use their Lucio ult to rush the point (same as using Zen ult to rush the point), just means by the time the fight really kicks into high gear their bonus shields are gone.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

RC Cola posted:

Is it mostly pc players on discord?

Last page, but I played with a goonette who asked me if I was using discord because she was on it. I assume that meant she had a laptop beside her ps4 or something?

edit: I am starting to get the annoyance of team choice. a few games in a row I was on a team with freaking four offensive characters chosen. For gently caress sakes people, if you only care about your k/d ratio you aren't playing the game right. I like tracer, but i rarely use her as i usually have to choose tank or healing as everyone wants to a offensive character.

Shnag fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 23, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Just think that for every 8 slam dps there is 1 genji or mcgee that might carry you

Or even better git gud at mcgee yourself and nevermore be that Lucio staring in horror as your team tries and fails to take the point while you go fast and get piles of cabbage elims that mean nothing. Worship the health pack

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Shnag posted:

Last page, but I played with a goonette who asked me if I was using discord because she was on it. I assume that meant she had a laptop beside her ps4 or something?

edit: I am starting to get the annoyance of team choice. a few games in a row I was on a team with freaking four offensive characters chosen. For gently caress sakes people, if you only care about your k/d ratio you aren't playing the game right. I like tracer, but i rarely use her as i usually have to choose tank or healing as everyone wants to a offensive character.

Are you in quick play or comp? Because at least on PC, QP is a complete joke. I just had a game of King's Row offense where we had 5 DPS/1 tank (including me playing my god awful McCree), and we won. It was so #QuickPlay.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Shnag posted:

What's your PSN? RC_COLA_IN_A_CAN
I'm pretty chill and not the worst player

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
So Russia's best Widowmaker is apparently at rank 2400-ish.

Sadly she was on the enemy team and convinced me that even a slight buff is too much for Widow.

(Not sure if she's actually the best but I'd believe it, almost single-handedly destroyed my decent team)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Nobody at rank 2400 is the best at anything. Russians aren't that bad at videogames.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Verranicus posted:

Both of these would make her a must have for every team.

EDIT: Trip report from messing around with Paladins! Game is nowhere near as nice looking as Overwatch but the gameplay is tight enough. Sniper character is waaaay too lenient about hitboxes and is incredibly broken. As far as I could tell there's no way to bring up information on what all of your characters abilities are on the fly in a match but I could be wrong, so lol if you didn't do your homework. !!! Until you hit level 5, when you go into casual mode it matches you with bots and doesn't even tell you. They give the bots ambiguous names to trick you into thinking you're playing against real humans. !!!

Hold K.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

How arbitrary. I tried most of the keys that would be close enough to my left hand to hit quickly, but I didn't try k.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Papercut posted:

Are you in quick play or comp? Because at least on PC, QP is a complete joke. I just had a game of King's Row offense where we had 5 DPS/1 tank (including me playing my god awful McCree), and we won. It was so #QuickPlay.

I've been playing quick play, its quickly getting annoying being in a game with no one talking. At least if you are talking with a few people you can arrange so the team is more balanced. What i really like about this game is how you get points for everything you do. You can play mercy and not harm a fly and still be on fire.

RC Cola posted:

PSN: Jewedbacca. I'm a pretty chill player, I'm work posting right now, but i'll be on later tonight. I find just having one other person to work with can make a difference. Also stay in game chat, as I find players can be responsive even if they don't have a mic. Like getting a boost from Mai and such.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i wish map choice was global across all servers and changed every 5 minutes or whatever

i don't really want to play the same map 5 times in a row

What the game should do is select the map based on what the players in the match have played on recently. There's 13 maps, so it should ALWAYS be possible for the game to pick a map that isn't a consecutive repeat for anyone.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

RC Cola posted:

Add me too @ chictrombone, I'm the goonette Shnag mentioned. I'm not great, but I'm probably mid-tier and chill as I can be.

e: if we end up playing tonight I won't be able to voice probably, I've got a nasty case of bronchitis and ain't nobody need that coming over voicechat

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Servers down?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Kashuno posted:

Servers down?

No.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My queue for comp matches seem to be taking way longer than they should all of a sudden.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I've experienced weird ping fluctuations this evening, going from 40 up to 200 at one point. I'm not sure if it's something server-side, if Comcast is loving me, or if it's related to the Windows update earlier this morning. Usually I hold steady around 20-30 ms or so.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Did all my placements for Season 2. The first match was ridiculous, KotH, ended 2 to 3, 99% for both sides.

Only one salt golem who advised that we all "Drink bleach" during my second loss match.

Played Soldier 76 for almost every game except one where I was Junkrat/D.va and two other when I was Lucio for a total of 3 rounds.

My last match kinda sucked cuz the enemy team had 2 leavers, so we steamrolled them :smith:

I thought for sure I'd be mid-silver at best, and when I ended 5 wins 5 losses, I was still pretty sure that's where I'd end up.

I'm 2264. :unsmith: Feels good. Though I suspect it would've been a bit lower if that other match hadn't gone so pear-shaped for the other team.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 24, 2016

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
Just had the most bizarre game in comp where we had an offensive bastion, who was actually not that bad, and someone who had apparently been queued up with him before and decided to throw the game with offensive symmetra for some reason. Like, the symmetra was just straight up huddled in a corner and placing teleports facing cliffs. In spite of that we actually got a decent time on offense and then held the first point on hanamura without any trouble.

I don't understand this game anymore.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Nothing gets my goat more than being ordered to switch to another character by someone playing something like Genji or Hanzo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

those are both good heroes (weird but true for hanzo now), it's just that most people aren't good at them

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I don't mind seeing a Hanzo as one of our DPS at all since this last patch. Even people who have no idea what they're doing with him can just blind spam and get picks.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I sure am glad they decided to buff Widowmaker. You know what I missed? Seeing Widowmakers in every single game.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kai Tave posted:

I sure am glad they decided to buff Widowmaker. You know what I missed? Seeing Widowmakers in every single game.

Honestly it's pretty meh. It's not exactly the old quckscope, and the grapple hook still has that insanely long cooldown so she's still vulnerable to her counters (Winston/Genji).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Boogle posted:

Honestly it's pretty meh. It's not exactly the old quckscope, and the grapple hook still has that insanely long cooldown so she's still vulnerable to her counters (Winston/Genji).

They could have reduced her scope time from 0.5 seconds to 0.499999999etc. seconds and a zillion people would still be slampicking Widowmaker in every game for the next three months.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Im guessing the scope change is so that the achievement is easier to get.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

i'm normally a quickplay scrub but a bunch of random dudes invited me to play in some comp games with them and after 7 wins, 2 losses and 1 draw mainly as mei/76 i got placed at 2752 which i'm pretty proud of :)

i'm also sort of proud of this after one round of lijiang tower:

guess you know youre doing well when the other team is out to get you

(also all my teammates are really nice, theyre on mics and they call out enemy positions, suggest team compositions and coordinate pushes even as i sit and type silly emoticons into chat; i'll stick with quickplay if im solo but if they invite me for comp games i'd be happy to join in)

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I've played 88 season 2 games and have seen the new map once. This is ridiculous!

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Wildtortilla posted:

I've played 88 season 2 games and have seen the new map once. This is ridiculous!

That's good, the new map is awful because it's Hanamura if the point moved.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Sombra having any kind of stealth or invisibility will result in tears because if mobas are any indication people arent satisfied until the stealth mechanic is virtually useless.

My experience with stealth is the exact opposite. People cry until other players are as easy to deal with as MGS guards.

Full invisibility and silence, expecting people to be paranoid 100% of the time, wanting mechanics that let them play hide and seek for 10 minutes, etc.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm so jealous.

At this point I would be happy if they just removed everything that isn't KOTH.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

comp koth sucks

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
When is D.Va a better pick than Winston? It seems like there are times when Winston can single-handedly shut down a team that has too many low-HP heroes. I'm not sure if I've found the equivalent for D.Va.

I guess she does well against Bastion and Torb and can shut down Reaper and Soldier ults.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Never

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I have something like a 75%+ win rate in comp in the past week or so.

I have probably less than a 25% win rate in QP in the same period. Holy poo poo, gently caress QP forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Dva is much easier to play at least