Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
The new Insomnium is sick. Dan Swano on production is a noticeable improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Once Was Not was pretty good actually, but it was far more experimental than their previous offerings.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Here's the full Insomnium album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_ar_9Z14aw

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Sick, its been getting amazing reviews and I'm excited as hell.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

I've been digging around on the internet all week for this, thanks!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Don't do steroids, then get arrested for trying to hire a hitman.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/as...ams-negligence/

quote:

AS I LAY DYING frontman Tim Lambesis, who is serving a six-year prison sentence for trying to hire a hit man to kill his estranged wife, filed a lawsuit last year against a California medical team alleging that he was not given a prescribed medication for nearly two months prior to his incarceration, resulting in him developing gynecomastia (enlarged breasts).
"By the time I enjoyed my right to adequate medical care — while incarcerated — the damage was done. I now suffer the adverse adornment of fully formed breasts, respectively, upon my physique — that is, a permanent gynecomastic consitution. To date, the pain and ultra-sensitivity associated with my, now, male mammaries remains. Worst of, all is the anxiety and depression I experience just knowing, feeling, seeing, the protuberances that are my male breasts."
In his complaint, Lambesis sought $500,000 in general and $35,000,000 in punitive damages.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
LOL he couldnt get PCT in jail. Idiot.

It's not even hard to get roids in jail, why wouldn't he just stay on cycle?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm usually a bit leery about these single song albums, but holy poo poo the new Insomnium made 40 minutes fly by way too fast. It's been quite a while since I got really excited about their albums, but this one is some really goddamn excellent poo poo.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Lambesis thinks he had an Olympia stage physique, but now he has boobs. His melodramatic story is amazing. I weep as my boobs caress my guitar, and I pray for the reduction of my mammaries as I feel the tender caress of low testosterone.

He was taking test to be more manly, yet he wasn't man enough to murder his wife. Deserves tits.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Nordick posted:

I'm usually a bit leery about these single song albums, but holy poo poo the new Insomnium made 40 minutes fly by way too fast. It's been quite a while since I got really excited about their albums, but this one is some really goddamn excellent poo poo.

Yeah it's pretty drat good.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
The new Dark Tranquillity single is out, and I've listened to it a few times now. It really feels a bit :effort: , which is pretty disappointing as these guys used to be one of my favourite bands (granted, I haven't loved anything they've done since Damage Done, but there's always hope...).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvpncFRvrkM

Edit: holy poo poo, that's pretty much confirmed by this interview in Blabbermouth, which makes me wonder if they're going to be calling it quite soon.

Blabbermouth posted:

DARK TRANQUILLITY To Release 'Atoma' Album In November

Swedish melodic death metallers DARK TRANQUILLITY will release their eleventh full-length album, "Atoma", on November 4 through Century Media Records. The CD is being recorded at Rogue Music in Gothenburg, the studio owned by DARK TRANQUILLITY keyboardist Martin Brändström. Mixing duties will be handled by David Castillo, known for his work with bands such as KATATONIA, OPETH and CANDLEMASS. The cover artwork was once again created by the band's guitarist Niklas Sundin.

Says the band in a statement: "That's right! We're more than halfway done with the recording of the upcoming album, and it's shaping up to be a diverse and challenging affair that will feature a lot of different aspects of the DARK TRANQUILLITY sound. It's hard to be more specific while still immersed in the creative process, but we're incredibly excited about the material and can't wait to share the results with all of you soon."

The touring cycle for "Atoma" will start with a headline North American run in November, featuring SWALLOW THE SUN, ENFORCER and STARKILL as support acts. A European tour is planned for early 2017.

DARK TRANQUILLITY vocalist Mikael Stanne recently told Kaaos TV about the recording process for the band's upcoming album: "We actually decided to start recording in January, and then we realized, 'Nah, we're not really ready. We need to work on this stuff a bit more.' And then a bit more and then a bit more. And finally, it was, like, 'gently caress it! We need a deadline. We need to finish this.' And now we do, and now we're kind of in deep into the recording. So finally it happened. But for a while there, I just couldn't see it. Like, 'It's not even close.'"

Asked why it was so difficult for DARK TRANQUILLITY to come up with a new album's worth of material that they were happy with, Mikael said: "This is gonna be our eleventh album, [and] for yourself, you feel, like, 'My God! We don't wanna repeat ourselves. We don't wanna do the same thing over and over again. We wanna do something new.' It has to feel fresh, and it has to feel different. And how do you find the inspiration and stuff like that? It is kind of tough. But we got started, and eventually, it's, like, 'Holy poo poo! We're on to something here.' And it started feeling really good, and now it feels awesome. Some of the songs are incredible. I've recorded vocals for five songs already. We have tons more. And I can't wait to finish it. It's gonna be so much fun. There's basically just keyboards and guitar solos and vocals left. So it's gonna be a couple of more weeks, I think. So it's gonna come out in November."

Regarding how DARK TRANQUILLITY's recent lineup change affected the songwriting process for the new album, Mikael said: "[Bassist] Martin Henriksson left the band in January, and that was a big blow. I mean, he used to write tons of stuff for the band, but in the last couple of years, he has kind of focused on other things. He's more like a manager for he band — he arranges all the festivals and trips and everything like that — and he just kind of fell out of love with touring and writing and playing, so now he's a full-on manager and stuff."

Mikael also talked about how the songwriting process was different this time around. He said: "Anders [Jivarp, drums] has written most of the songs, I think, or most of the material, and then Martin [Brändström, keyboards] and Anders kind of structured it and put it together. And then Niklas wrote two or three songs, and Martin [Brändström] wrote two or three songs, stuff like that. It's becoming really diverse. Like some of the stuff that Anders has done is really different, and the stuff that Niklas has done is really different and the stuff that Martin [Brändström] has done is really, really kind of out there in a way. So I'm super excited. The album is shaping up to be fantastic."

There's a lot of selling it as 'oh man, this is amazing', but there seem to be equal amounts of 'meh, let's just get this poo poo out of the way'.

Pesmerga fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Sep 23, 2016

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

Actually, Entombed are beloved because they made three really good albums. How many people do you hear talking up their post-WB material in hindsight?

I take it you are referring to their 1st three albums...nice, I like it :)
However Same Difference, Uprising, Morning Star and Serpent Saints are all A' to me

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I thought he meant the first two Entombed albums and the Nihilist demos

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

could be, but he named WB so..

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Speaking of profit metal bands who peaked and dropped off hard, did Orphaned Land ever do anything that came close to Mabool?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Stoat posted:

Speaking of profit metal bands who peaked and dropped off hard, did Orphaned Land ever do anything that came close to Mabool?

I think I actually prefer ORwarriOR, but the one after, and the collaboration with Amaseffer are pretty disappointing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A human heart posted:

I thought he meant the first two Entombed albums and the Nihilist demos

No, I meant LHP-Clandestine-Wolverine Blues.

Stoat posted:

ORWarriOR is their only other album that I'd rate higher than like a B-

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Pesmerga posted:

The new Dark Tranquillity single is out, and I've listened to it a few times now. It really feels a bit :effort: , which is pretty disappointing as these guys used to be one of my favourite bands (granted, I haven't loved anything they've done since Damage Done, but there's always hope...).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvpncFRvrkM

Edit: holy poo poo, that's pretty much confirmed by this interview in Blabbermouth, which makes me wonder if they're going to be calling it quite soon.

There's a lot of selling it as 'oh man, this is amazing', but there seem to be equal amounts of 'meh, let's just get this poo poo out of the way'.

They have made ok albums since Damage Done, which is admittedly hard to top. The records have some songs that are really good, but also a lot of filler.
Boring thing with DT is how they took a step back with Fiction to a more old school sound. Both Projector and Damage Done were pretty innovative but apparently their fans didn't want that.
Same thing happened to The Haunted.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
Hey you guys should check out Zealotry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fxof7EBrSc

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 23, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

To Battle posted:

Hey you guys should check out Zealotry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fxof7EBrSc

They're real good and also have the guitarist from Chthe'ilist and First Fragment, who is apparently the busiest man in Quebec.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

a fleshy snood posted:

Yeah they're excellent. They've got a new album coming out real soon as well.

Season of Mist put up another track today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFJaeVS8L00

Assimilation are another good Vancouver band. I think I posted their EP already, but it's still a tasty slice of old school thrash/death: https://assimilationvancouver.bandcamp.com/releases

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

They're real good and also have the guitarist from Chthe'ilist and First Fragment, who is apparently the busiest man in Quebec.

Tougas is also in Serocs. Gotta respect that work ethic, even if Chthe'ilist is the only band of his I like.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

While trying to remember the name of Cryptopsy, I accidentally stumbled across Necropsy. I'm really loving them.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I saw footage of Steve Digorgio playing a fretted bass just now and idk man it felt weird

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Cardiac posted:

They have made ok albums since Damage Done, which is admittedly hard to top. The records have some songs that are really good, but also a lot of filler.
Boring thing with DT is how they took a step back with Fiction to a more old school sound. Both Projector and Damage Done were pretty innovative but apparently their fans didn't want that.
Same thing happened to The Haunted.

I wish they had stuck with the sound they developed on Character, it's still the heaviest Gothenburg album I've heard to this day

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

TheIllestVillain posted:

I wish they had stuck with the sound they developed on Character, it's still the heaviest Gothenburg album I've heard to this day

I can't even remember how Character sounded, which I guess says it all. It was just a boring record without even any memorable songs. But then again, I prefer to have my music with some form of hook, and Character was basically like an endless feed of same music. The 2 latter records were better in that regard.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
After this thread blew up about BOLT THROWER, I went back and replayed Realm of Chaos. Now I've listened to the whole thing almost everyday this week.

So, thanks.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I tried listening to Bolt Thrower and I can't say I liked it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
^^ quiet fool :black101: ^^

symbolic posted:

While trying to remember the name of Cryptopsy, I accidentally stumbled across Necropsy. I'm really loving them.

Fuggedaboutem, Necropsy owns bones.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Golem II posted:

yeah you loved it

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Golem II posted:

What you heard was so mind blowing that your brain doesn't even know how to parse this information.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Anyone got a nice long list of bands that sound as close to Bolt Thrower as possible?

E-I've been waiting impatiently for Memoriam since it was announced, cmon guys!!

Snowy fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 24, 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Snowy posted:

Anyone got a nice long list of bands that sound as close to Bolt Thrower as possible?

memoriam

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Snowy posted:

quote:

bolt thrower

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Snowy posted:

Not a long one no, because my familiarity with death metal is pretty limited, but I do know of Just Before Dawn and Shrapnel Storm. Not saying that either is anywhere near as good, but there you have it. Personally I think the latter is the better one of the two.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I only post in this thread when I wear my Bolt Thrower t-shirt.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Minto Took posted:

I only post in this thread when I wear my Bolt Thrower t-shirt.

Wish I had one but I'm not buying a scab one.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Snowy posted:

E-I've been waiting impatiently for Memoriam since it was announced, cmon guys!!

If you're into the whole war thing, there's Hail of Bullets.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Okay after a bunch of listens, my one and only grievance with the new Insomnium is that it doesn't contain a couple more repeats of the riff that kicks off at around 7:42 and a second time at 10:25 because GOD DAAAAAMN :black101:

Nordick fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Nordick posted:

Okay after a bunch of listens, my one and only grievance with the new Insomnium is that it doesn't contain a couple more repeats of the riff that kicks off at around 7:42 and a second time at 10:25 because GOD DAAAAAMN :black101:

Yeah I've had it on repeat for a day now and really digging it, still not as good as Above The Weeping World (or really any of their first 3) but still pretty drat amazing.

That said the new Be'lakor is still better IMO.