Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Madkal posted:

Now I might be the one misremembering Son of the Demon but I think Bats was quite happy when he heard Talia was pregnant.

With his child? Or just pregnant, father unknown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Travis343 posted:

How else are you going to communicate that these are mature stories for grown up adults?

By killing a 10 year old, duh

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Zachack posted:

With his child? Or just pregnant, father unknown?

His child. They had been living together as husband and wife for a little while. Talia tells Bruce she miscarried at the end of the book but the epilogue is a baby wearing Talia's jewelry turning up at an orphanage.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
For the longest time SotD was considered outside canon but then Morrison wanted to use Batman's son in his arc so he said it was now part of canon, but completely misremembered the story and left out the crazier elements from that story.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Roth posted:

Can it please just be consensual sex and not some evil plan involving date rape or stealing DNA or any sort of that creepy poo poo?

"Sounds like your sex life is very vanilla, foolish neurotypical. :smug:"

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Eventually the weird parts of Damien's origin are going to fade out for being weird and horrible and we will be left with "Bruce knocked Talia up and she didn't tell him", which is all you need anyway. Similarly I expect that Jon Kent getting concieved when Clark and Lois were living in a weird construct reality bubble where nobody had superpowers until a Brainiac knockoff turned the superpowers back on to do cross-continuity fight club that everyone ignored is... not gonna last.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 23, 2016

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Man, GBS gets more reboots than Wildstorm.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Man, GBS gets more reboots than Wildstorm.

But less than DC.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

For the longest time SotD was considered outside canon but then Morrison wanted to use Batman's son in his arc so he said it was now part of canon, but completely misremembered the story and left out the crazier elements from that story.
To be fair, the whole underlying premise of Morrison's take on Batman is that all the Batman stories are true to some degree.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Timeless Appeal posted:

To be fair, the whole underlying premise of Morrison's take on Batman is that all the Batman stories are true to some degree.

That was ambitious, but I was always disappointed that he didn't also make all the Batman toys canonical

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Rewatched the Luke Cage trailer because I'm hyped as hell about it. My one new thought is it's awesome that Rosario Dawson is basically the Netflix version of Nick Fury. I would bet money on her being the person to bring everyone together for The Defenders.

My second new thought is that it's bullshit she's not The Night Nurse

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Skwirl posted:

My second new thought is that it's bullshit she's not The Night Nurse Monica Rambeau

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

My second new thought is that it's bullshit she's not The Night Nurse

That is pretty irritating. Didn't the producers outright say she was in Daredevil season 1?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

That is pretty irritating. Didn't the producers outright say she was in Daredevil season 1?

Apparently they had to walk it back because someone decided that Rachel McAdams was going to be Night Nurse in Doctor Strange.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

She is Night Nurse in everything but name. She was scripted as Night Nurse but the film arm called dibs on the character just before it was about to be shot, so she was changed to Temple.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think it's conceivable that superheroes would go to more than one person for medical treatment considering there's literally hundreds of them in the world.

And, as much as I like Rosario Dawson, Rachel McAdams is a much, much better actress than her.

Making Rosario Dawson into Spectrum would rule pretty loving hard, though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Toxxupation posted:

I think it's conceivable that superheroes would go to more than one person for medical treatment considering there's literally hundreds of them in the world.

And, as much as I like Rosario Dawson, Rachel McAdams is a much, much better actress than her.

Making Rosario Dawson into Spectrum would rule pretty loving hard, though.

Does Dawson's character in Daredevil have any similarities to Spectrum beyond being a black woman?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My favorite Kevin Smith story (besides the Superman one) is when he talked about how all the shlubby out of shape actors and crew of Clerks 2 would suck in their guts when Rosario Dawson would come on set.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Does Dawson's character in Daredevil have any similarities to Spectrum beyond being a black woman?

Of course not.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of like people who act like the black guy on Arrow should somehow turn out to be John Stewart, despite the fact that the only thing they have in common is a first name and skin color.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Kind of like people who act like the black guy on Arrow should somehow turn out to be John Stewart, despite the fact that the only thing they have in common is a first name and skin color.

Well, and a military background. Though I believe Diggle was a Ranger and Stewart was a Marine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Diggle was the magic kind of soldier that's also a master spy and world class fighter.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aphrodite posted:

Diggle was the magic kind of soldier that's also a master spy and world class fighter.

He went to the same school Alfred did.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I would be cool with Dawson's character becoming a non-rich, un-powered version of Cardiac. Just beating the poo poo out of a poorly-veiled Martin Shkreli standin

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Does it really matter if she's an established character or not?

e: And she is anyway apparently https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claire_Temple
I'd be really surprised if either of them literally took on the moniker anyhow, least of all in the Strange movie, but if Rosario had to stop being a 'composite' to make way for McAdams, all you'd lose is maybe someone saying 'We gotta take Matt to that Night Nurse!"
Big woop.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 26, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teenage Fansub posted:

Does it really matter if she's an established character or not?

Yes. Making her an established character gives that character a higher profile and makes it more marketable. See Patsy Walker getting an ongoing after appearing in Jessica Jones.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Patsy Walker didn't get an ongoing due to the Jessica Jones TV show, come on.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hellcat's had regular miniseries and team appearances for over ten years. It would be a stretch to say her ongoing was due less to her increasing profile along with Marvel's attempt to develop more, for lack of a better word, inclusive titles and more due to her guest starring on a TV show that didn't even result in either of its headliners getting new ongoings.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I gotta assume that it was at least a factor. The art on that Patsy Walker comic was so terrible, it felt like something they rushed out as fast as possible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

Patsy Walker didn't get an ongoing due to the Jessica Jones TV show, come on.

It's at least a part of it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I thought she'd been earmarked for the new "weird" marvel (Howard, squirrel girl, gwenpool, sometimes she hulk) for a while since she was part of the old version

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

I gotta assume that it was at least a factor. The art on that Patsy Walker comic was so terrible, it felt like something they rushed out as fast as possible.

...This is why DC has a 'house' style, because people say this poo poo whenever someone decides to do something that isn't aping Jim Lee or Greg Land.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rhyno posted:

It's at least a part of it.

A small part, considering that comics (especially AKA Hellcat) Patsy Walker and JJ's "Trish" Walker aren't the same person on any level whatsoever. Also I sincerely doubt "I watched a TV show so now I want to read a totally tonally different comic that relies on the reader knowing the crazy comics backstory of a C-tier superhero" is something people actually say.

Like, Supergirl Rebirth is reflective of the TV show's popularity, Agents of SHIELD goes without saying, the upcoming Jessica Jones solo most definitely is due to the TV show (down to them straight-up lifting the logo) but when you get as far afield and obscure as stuff like Mockingbird or Patsy Walker I sincerely doubt it's, for any really significant reason, due to there being a TV show that exists with the characters because they're so tonally and thematically different from their onscreen counterparts.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Lookit the bad opinions on this guy over here.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Broadening your art horizons isnt going to kill you.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gaz-L posted:

...This is why DC has a 'house' style, because people say this poo poo whenever someone decides to do something that isn't aping Jim Lee or Greg Land.

SynthOrange posted:

Broadening your art horizons isnt going to kill you.

This is a bizarre assumption to make about me just because I didn't like the art in Patsy Walker Hellcat.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Because you just dropped 'ugh its terrible and rushed' then zipped off when obviously its charming and aesthetic as hell (unless you're poops)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

And you get all these same comments whenever somebody posts a Squirrel Girl or something. Hell someone tried to claim Tradd Moore was a lovely artist just recently.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Travis343 posted:

And you get all these same comments whenever somebody posts a Squirrel Girl or something. Hell someone tried to claim Tradd Moore was a lovely artist just recently.

Someone recently referred to Steve Rude as a "fill-in" artist and I about lost my poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Kirby's men all look like sentient squares.

• Locked thread