Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

El Disco posted:

At least they're not HE-flinging Nagatos, like the one I just had on my team. I can see how he got that 42% winrate.

For real, I'm done playing boats for the weekend and it's only Friday night. gently caress all these loving retards that always seem to get on my team.

Just play in PT and not care. 10 wins in VMF DDs, BBs, and CAs give you 10 free type 6 camos for each (30 total), plus the 3 of each flag just for one win. I just need to do my 10 CA wins.

Edit: You get these for your public server account after PT is done if it wasn't clear. Also a day of premium if you get rank 1 in PTs ranked games.

Victor Surge fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

How's the move from the Kirov to the Budy? I feel like I'm going to miss these 180s. Also, people forgetting that the Kirov has torps never gets old as they line up a broadside to finish me off.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Victor Surge posted:

Just play in PT and not care. 10 wins in VMF DDs, BBs, and CAs give you 10 free type 6 camos for each (30 total), plus the 3 of each flag just for one win. I just need to do my 10 CA wins.

Edit: You get these for your public server account after PT is done if it wasn't clear. Also a day of premium if you get rank 1 in PTs ranked games.

I'll have to give that a shot tomorrow.

AfroSquirrel posted:

How's the move from the Kirov to the Budy? I feel like I'm going to miss these 180s. Also, people forgetting that the Kirov has torps never gets old as they line up a broadside to finish me off.

Definitely better. Yeah you only have 152mm guns, but the rate of fire is pretty nice and they're good at burning ships down. You also have half-decent armor as long as you keep the ship pointed towards threats. All the later Russian cruisers actually have weaker armor than the Buddy, until you get to the Moskva I think.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Devorum posted:

Is the American CV tree fun at all? I'm getting close to the Ryujo on the IJN side, but have been tempted to grab a Langley.

Or I could just get a Saipan and become part of the problem.

In my experience, the Saipan is absolutely amazing and one of the most OP ships in the game all things considered. It can never face a higher tier CV and the only non-Saipan things that give it trouble are AS specc'd CVs, which IMO is already a bonus for you if they have come into a match like that. Also the speed and recycling of its planes make it much more engaging than other US CVs.

Zuiho and Shokaku are the highlights of the IJN line, I stopped at Shokaku. But currently I'm not playing CVs much. The clumsy Interface and insane high tier AA make it frustrating currently.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

kaesarsosei posted:

Another incorrect opinion on a loving fantastic ship. The Nagato is amazing, and even more so with the current MM rules it can take advantage of. I would take it over the Colorado any day (better speed and slightly more accurate guns) and its touch and go with the Gneisenau. And this is my opinion from playing the Nagato in its currently bugged state, its getting an armour buff in the next patch which should narrow the survivability gap to the Colorado. The changes to DD armour may also be an indirect buff to the Nagato's AP secondaries (tbh I am not spergy enough to know if that's true but that's how I read it when I glanced at the changes).

On the flipside, the Amagi used to be the best T8 BB but now its definately not. Its still a fantastic ship but no question the Bismarck, Tirpitz and buffed NC are all better currently.

Wow, wrong opinion? The Nagato requires a play style that some people may not like, more standoffish to compensate for its bad armor.

To the person who triggered you, the Amagi plays like a big T8 Kongo, so if you didn't like the Kongo you probably won't like the Amagi... probably.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

What a miserable waste of a night.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

JacksLibido posted:

Wow, wrong opinion? The Nagato requires a play style that some people may not like, more standoffish to compensate for its bad armor.

To the person who triggered you, the Amagi plays like a big T8 Kongo, so if you didn't like the Kongo you probably won't like the Amagi... probably.

Opinion yes but thankfully backed up by reality. I cba posting screenshots so look them up for yourself. The Nagato is doing better than the Colorado over any time period.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I don't like battleships because they are driven by cowards who I can't commissar without taking a five minute trek back to a corner of the map.

This weekend has been really bad, despite not even being 200%.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Reminder. The following ships are good and fun : anything that isnt a midway.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Counterpoint: Karlsruhe.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

kaesarsosei posted:

Opinion yes but thankfully backed up by reality. I cba posting screenshots so look them up for yourself. The Nagato is doing better than the Colorado over any time period.

That doesn't invalidate his opinion that he doesn't like the boat. The Colorado is doing awful globally, but I'm a full 15% better w/r in it. To me the Nagato was a slog that I'd never do again and completely put me off playing my Amagi for a long time. That other people think it's good or that globally it has a better w/r than the Colorado means nothing, especially since globally I'm a full 12% higher than the average in my Colorado. It fits my play style, the Nagato doesn't. That doesn't invalidate my opinion at all, especially when someone is asking if they'll like a boat and lays out an example that they don't like the Nagato.

People tend to get super butt hurt when you dare to say you don't like their precious fake boat in an arcade game.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Is there a secret to why my BB salvos either bounce or just hit water meanwhile other dudes always be getting several thousand damage each dump?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Think you could make that question less specific?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
atsf is back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku3qM_AC-Os

Also, flamu was gifted a dunk. He is still terrible at it because his playstyle doesn't match how you play it. The revelation that he was in a t8 game followed by the repeated "OWWW" from him at the start was pretty hilarious. Losing half my health at the start is an amazing experience I have felt a few times in the ship as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ2H5irgvDI

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Think you could make that question less specific?

Why's my RNG/dispersion bad?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

What tier are you, what tier are they, are you at your max range, are you using the dispersion reducing mod or range increasing mod.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

JuffoWup posted:

atsf is back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku3qM_AC-Os

Also, flamu was gifted a dunk. He is still terrible at it because his playstyle doesn't match how you play it. The revelation that he was in a t8 game followed by the repeated "OWWW" from him at the start was pretty hilarious. Losing half my health at the start is an amazing experience I have felt a few times in the ship as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ2H5irgvDI

atsf delivers as usual, while Flamu, well.. he doesn't know how to dunq? "I'm turning away" :cripes: (I didn't bother watching the whole thing)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Once you go in, the only way out is backwards. You can dance at longer ranges though, the rudder time lets you do cruiser turns.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I did a cool thing yesterday where i reveresed into the map boundary at an angle and slid backwards along the map to the astonishment of a scharnhorst.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

But the Scharnhorst even has a built-in aimbot aka torpedo sights?! he must be challenged in the finer arts of the shiny horse :v:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

xthetenth posted:

Once you go in, the only way out is backwards. You can dance at longer ranges though, the rudder time lets you do cruiser turns.

Yup, once poo poo looks like it is going south, you just start reversing. He was pretty much driving full speed the entire game as well which is also a no no. Set a corridor of denial and then start fiddling with the throttle to mess up all the shots.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
:allears: Atsf is amazing and I'm very glad we have him to carry the silly torch now that phontomen isn't the same anymore. I just wish he did Tanks videos as well.

Fake edit: The duck quack when things get hit will never cease to amuse me, ever.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Hi wibla, its me elusif, buy my eve gold. Anyways the guy stayed at like 14km from my dunkerque for 4 minutes then finally started closing. He launched torps at 4km and I don't know what he was aiming at because the entire spread went in front of me.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

JuffoWup posted:

Yup, once poo poo looks like it is going south, you just start reversing. He was pretty much driving full speed the entire game as well which is also a no no. Set a corridor of denial and then start fiddling with the throttle to mess up all the shots.

If I'm up against one enemy that can citadel me or ones whose reload cycles line up, I'll frequently turn away and hold an angle. A reverse is committing you until/unless the enemies die, give up, or get around you. Similarly, I'll often be angling to use my speed to get into lospsided fights rather than commit to a corridor. Part is that I've got the reverse as a backup if the primary option isn't looking good, and partly because it keeps me looking at the enemy so I'm more likely to be long range and dancing if there's too much enemy to take on the nose, and also because reversing falls apart dramatically against 15s and up.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Ooof got the Pensacola and I'm really hurting in this.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
What's your opinions on the best 4 point skill for German cruiser captains? Should I go secondaries or AA? I've been thinking of going with the fire start chance because German cruiser HE is so terrible, it needs all the help it can get, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

JacksLibido posted:

That doesn't invalidate his opinion that he doesn't like the boat. The Colorado is doing awful globally, but I'm a full 15% better w/r in it. To me the Nagato was a slog that I'd never do again and completely put me off playing my Amagi for a long time. That other people think it's good or that globally it has a better w/r than the Colorado means nothing, especially since globally I'm a full 12% higher than the average in my Colorado. It fits my play style, the Nagato doesn't. That doesn't invalidate my opinion at all, especially when someone is asking if they'll like a boat and lays out an example that they don't like the Nagato.

People tend to get super butt hurt when you dare to say you don't like their precious fake boat in an arcade game.

Except that he didn't say he doesn't like the Nagato, which is an opinion, but that he flat out says the Nagato is a bad ship and that the Colorado is better, even disregarding stuff that speed in the game is an advantage. That's not an opinion and deserves to be called out. Projecting much?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

What's your opinions on the best 4 point skill for German cruiser captains? Should I go secondaries or AA? I've been thinking of going with the fire start chance because German cruiser HE is so terrible, it needs all the help it can get, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

Aft. The germans have solid long range aa guns on their ships. Their ap is strong enough that he is only sparingly used.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wrong thread.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I feel like Nagato has been hurt most by shifts in the meta. The AP secondaries were great back when DDs still had citadels because it would nuke the poo poo out of them. Now they're just kinda meh, and you don't want to close the distance with a Colorado (which has better belt armor) or the Gneisenau/Scharnhorst (which will eat you alive) because your secondaries aren't good enough to justify it. You definitely want to keep at stand-off distance.

On release, and especially when it was the only T7 BB back in beta, you could go full :black101: and lead every charge. Nowadays the secondaries are more of a bonus than a true asset.

I play it nowadays like a Fuso with fewer-but-bigger guns.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Counterpoint part 2: The Kawachi and it's fellow garbage tier upgrade the Myogi

Both of those ships are utter unfun shitboxes

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
IJN BBs at T5-8 are best in class for damage output and speed, worst in class for armor protection. The Nagato and Izumo have roughly the same armor, which is a bit more important in the Izumo's case as its sporting T7 armor in a T9 meta. The Amagi has LESS armor than the Nagato.

All of the IJN BBs tend to have better ballistics, range, and traverse than their counterparts. You don't play them as brawlers, if you do you're braindamaged. They can only brawl with cruisers, not ships with guns bigger than 8 inches. When IJN BBs brawl with CAs, they tend to poo poo all over them, as you've got the superior arcs, ridiculous potential DPS, and above average maneuverability for a BB all in your favor. When they brawl with other BBs, they just get citadeled or have guns crit because their armor isn't great and their turret layouts pre-9 favor firing from broadside, not frontal engagements.

At T8, the Amagi will poo poo all over all the other BBs at range. But there are too many shitters who don't know how to not get hosed blasted to hell and back in Amagis, so they instead get into the idiot proof Bismarck or roll in bow forward in their North Carolinas, or sit back at max range and snipe away. Note: the Amagi is not a max range sniper ship, it wants to get in a middling range where shells aren't coming in flat or plunging, a sort of immunity zone where its shell arcs can shine and bounce American shells and giggle at how the german shells are bouncing due to their low caliber.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I've always liked "brawling" with my Nagato at ranges of 10-12km. Am I Nagatoing wrong?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
"Alright I still need two wins in Soviet DDs and two in cruisers to finish these missions, shouldn't take too long"

:shrek:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Nordick posted:

"Alright I still need two wins in Soviet DDs and two in cruisers to finish these missions, shouldn't take too long"

:shrek:

You are doing it wrong:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Hammerstein posted:

You are doing it wrong
No argument there

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

I've always liked "brawling" with my Nagato at ranges of 10-12km. Am I Nagatoing wrong?

Not really. Around 10 kilometers is what I'd say is the ideal range for BB guns. You don't actually want to deliberately approach someone past this range unless you *know* you can kill them for sure in a couple of salvos.

Usually it's DD's going in for a trench run or CA's that you run into that invade that range, at which point your secondaries start opening up on them, and then the "brawl" starts so to say. You shouldn't start the brawl in most cases, the other ships come to your turf looking for trouble.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
Really wish they would work on the match making with CVs. Tired of having the mouth breather CV on my team.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

JuffoWup posted:

Aft. The germans have solid long range aa guns on their ships. Their ap is strong enough that he is only sparingly used.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was wondering, but it seemed setting up a cruiser captain just like a German BB captain might be wrong. I also do use German HE on well angled poo poo I can't pen well... it just sucks, but aft made slightly more sense in my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Junkozeyne posted:

Except that he didn't say he doesn't like the Nagato, which is an opinion, but that he flat out says the Nagato is a bad ship and that the Colorado is better, even disregarding stuff that speed in the game is an advantage. That's not an opinion and deserves to be called out. Projecting much?

Did you... did you even think about what you were writing there? Projecting? I barely even play and when I do it's grinding through the shitheap that is the Gneisenau.