Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I guess someone can post the "HEY TERRA WANT TO SEE MY NEW CHAINSAW AND HOCKEY MASK" picture that's floating around the internet now that we've seen EdgarRemain use the chainsaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
It kinda bugged me that human enemies start using real-deal magic around here. Like, that is supposed to be a huge deal, Edgar and Locke freaked the gently caress out when they saw Terra do it. I had rationalized it as "Maybe they stole it from Terra who is some kind of magic being now?" But I don't think that makes sense.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I don't know which mod snipped out whatever the hell that was a few posts back, but thank you!

I wasn't sure how to deal with that.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
It hit several random threads, not just here, whatever it was. Anyway, here's the picture to which someone referred a few posts back.

PL- The Hill Gigas was a constant terror for me in Zozo also. Coupled with another enemy in the surrounding wilderness (the Vulture which can halve your HP with almost every attack), my time in this area was not always fun.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 23, 2016

ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

Where did the punster go when he was defeated? The "punitentiary"!
Finally, Zozo. The actual important town and not that last place I couldn't even remember. I remember having a lot of trouble here... namely because I think I kept running into the Hill Gigas more than any other enemy there.

Also, this is just pure greatness. :allears:

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
The Hill Gigas kinda reminds me (or perhaps the other way around) of running into Ironites in Burmecia in FFIX. Both have quite a bit of HP, and use attacks that can really decimate the party. Flame is no joke if you have Quina or Vivi wearing robes. Maybe I'm just stretching here. I know Ironites can be encountered by Chocobo Forest in that part of the game, but if you never go there, Burmecia is the first place you encounter them. Helps that both places are getting rained on, too, as far as scenery goes.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

What the heck happened?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Well, given how glowy, pasty magic Terra flew straight here, I'm going to guess that Zozo am Bizzaro-land.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

I must have gotten stuck on that boss or something, because I remember absolutely nothing past this point.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

GunnerJ posted:

It kinda bugged me that human enemies start using real-deal magic around here. Like, that is supposed to be a huge deal, Edgar and Locke freaked the gently caress out when they saw Terra do it. I had rationalized it as "Maybe they stole it from Terra who is some kind of magic being now?" But I don't think that makes sense.

It felt unusual to me too. On the other hand, whoever said that they were human? Monsters come in all shapes, after all.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

GunnerJ posted:

I was totally going to post about this. That always made me go WTF?! back when I first played this as a kid. I understand monsters, but humans? Maybe the Zozo people are affiliated with the empire? :tinfoil:

MightyPretenders posted:

It felt unusual to me too. On the other hand, whoever said that they were human? Monsters come in all shapes, after all.

They're classified as humans in the bestiary.

Leavemywife posted:

I don't know which mod snipped out whatever the hell that was a few posts back, but thank you!

I wasn't sure how to deal with that.

Even as I dread the idea of seeing something from somebody who got perma-banned, I am mildly curious what I missed. :catstare:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

mauman posted:

Even as I dread the idea of seeing something from somebody who got perma-banned, I am mildly curious what I missed. :catstare:

It wasn't anything too bad. I didn't read it all but it was mainly a lot of dumb tattoo bullshit that got spammed all around the forums.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

mauman posted:

You're not missing anything interesting. Go to your spam folder and find any random markov chain, that's what it was.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

GunnerJ posted:

My theory is that the human casters are magitek-infused soldiers who'd managed to escape the Ghastralian/Gestahlian Empire's army.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I've been looking forward to this update just for this track. :allears:

achtungnight posted:

Monster update for sure after the next dungeon, but I'll coordinate with Kheldarn and maybe combine for length since not many monsters are being missed.

At this point, I've got enough for another entry, so now I just need to find sime time to start working on it...

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

Final Fantasy Record Keeper has the Chainsaw as a potential limit break, and the animation for it is incredible.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I had no idea what a "Gigas" was until I saw Hill Gigas in this update. Any reason why Square didn't translate it to "Giant"?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Y-Hat posted:

I had no idea what a "Gigas" was until I saw Hill Gigas in this update. Any reason why Square didn't translate it to "Giant"?

Because Gigas sounds cooler.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Y-Hat posted:

It is literally ヒルギガース (hirugigāsu), though why Slattery chose this instant to be literal-minded and not some others I couldn't tell you.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Explosionface posted:

It does, but it also sounds similar to "Giygas" which is even cooler than how Gigas sounds.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

mauman posted:

If you pull up the guy's rap sheet and click on the 'permaban' link, you'll see his original post in some other thread. :siren: I'll save you the trouble of those clicks. :siren: (Not sure how I should flag that link. It's not... exactly :nws: or :nms:?)

Edit for content: Edgar is also in Brave Exvius, and his special attack uses the Chainsaw, Drill, and Crossbow. If I find a decent video of it, I'll link it. It's pretty cool-looking.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 24, 2016

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Update Twenty Four: Nothin' But Words

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI Advance, we made our way through the crappy town of Zozo, but stopped right before we found Terra. Today, we're going to find our wayward companion and hear a bunch of dialog, so let's roll.

To the left and right is treasure, so let's grab that.

Well, that's not too bad, I guess. I'll definitely be able to use the X-Potion at some point in the future, but I'm not sure about the second pair of Hermes Sandals.

We've been searching for Terra and she's been taking a nap!?

Uh...Terra, you in there?

Don't feel bad, Nathan. There's nothing you could have done about Terra becoming a terrifying monster.

Well, I guess you could have left her to die in the beginning of the game.

...Who's that?

Who the hell are you!?

I just said that! :argh:

Oddly enough, no. We just happened to wander in here and found her like that. It's the same way my wife and I had our first child.

Eh, kind of boring. I even let them vote on what to call her.

Oh, God, she's thirsting for our blood!

SHE'S EATING NATHAN

Bad kitty!

In all fairness, I think any of us would be overwhelmed if the same thing happened to us. Occasionally, I'm overwhelmed by having to go to work, or to put on pants.

: As for myself, I am Ramuh -- the esper, Ramuh.

A lot of dialog here from the party is just generic lines, attributed to no one in particular.

Not all of them! There's the Narshe esper hanging around here.

: Espers come in a variety of forms. My appearance is similar to your own, so I can live here as one of you without fear of anyone discovering the truth.

Because that's going so well for the one frozen in a block of ice. And with the Empire wanting espers for whatever nasty poo poo they're up to.

Nathan, your grandmother was old and going feeble.

: No, that was no fairy tale. That was the truth. Humans and espers used to live together in harmony. At least...until the War of the Magi.

We're trying to prevent another one of those happening.

: It took place long ago... Espers fought humans who had been infused with magical powers extracted from other espers.

They feared that if they remained it would only be a matter of time before their powers were targeted again.

And thus, Kefka came about and Gestahl only discovered what true disappointment was.

Who thinks we're going to knock that gate down? Will the gate last to the end of the game?

Taking all bets!

...Oh. That's where Olivia received her infusion of power.

Nathan goes to get Terra, who apparently has fallen asleep.

And he throws her back into bed.

: I called Terra here to me when I sensed that she had lost control. She responded to that call.

Explains her ability with magic, I suppose. And why the Empire is so desperate to get their hands back on her.

But she can fly!

'course, that might not make things that much better.

"Please, bring me a Crunch bar and two Diet Cokes..."

Oh, so just leave her alone until she's processed this.

How many others are there?

Hey, Liv, with you around, we have a leg up!

So, in a surprise twist, we actually have a name for our newest party member before he joins us, but that's okay! We can still BOLD votes to change it!

Okay, you caught me. Ramuh doesn't join the party.

At least, not in that sense.

You might be confused about what's happening here.

No, we're not going to embark on an adventure to murder all the espers we can find.

...Uh...

Oh, and Ramuh's now dead.

Only kind of. He's still around.

So you're going to let us use you as Magicite to gain your powers, to rain destruction on those who would use your powers for destruction.

"Never mind that both sides now have access to magic..."

Where the hell is she going to go? I didn't see a Burger King in this town.

We also get Siren and Cait Sith.

So, now, we can equip Espers! What does that mean, exactly?

Magic, motherfuckers! Equipping Magicite allows us to gain AP after battle. When a spell has gained 100 AP, the character in question will learn the spell associated with it. Some spells have a multiplier attached to their AP; for Kirin here, Cura will gain one 1% for each AP gained, while Libra will gain 5% for each point gained.

Sure, why not, Remain, take Siren. You'll be able to light stuff on fire with your mind when you're not sawing them to bits or kneecapping them.

You'll also notice that, at the bottom of Siren, as well as Cait Sith and Ramuh, that there's a level up bonus. In this case, for each level Leave gains while having Cait Sith equipped, he'll gain +1 to his Magic stat. That's a very good thing for Leave, since his best Blitzes are based off of his magic score. Siren gave +10% more HP per level, if you don't feel like going back to check.

Ramuh teaches offensive spells, as well as our first second level spell, Thundara. I didn't have much rhyme or reason for why Remain and Nathan got the Espers they did; Olivia got Kirin to learn Cura, while Leave got Cait Sith for the magic bonus.

As we go to leave, Jack and Mowgli are here.

Saves us the trouble of walking back, I s'pose.

Those dicks.

I suppose that's a hard question to ask.

But...

How do you feel when you learn that your powers are the result of another sentient being being drained of their essence?

We're still taking the Scooby Doo approach.

Zoinks!

Perfectly sensible.

You'll definitely need backup, Olivia.

...Not exactly who I had in mind...

Even Liv is against the idea!

You all know what that means!

That's right! You get to BOLD a vote for the two people joining Olivia and Nathan as they go to infiltrate the Empire!

Take a couple of days to vote; when we come back, we'll figure out just how we're going to slip by their defenses.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Sadly for Jack and Mowgli, team LORN is still the best team here.

plus you get an awesome bonus if the brothers are with you

mauman fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 24, 2016

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
....Screw it, I always pick the brothers here, so I'm gonna vote the total opposite this time.

Jack and Mowgli

(PS: A note from Leave: While Bowser IS still hanging out in Kohlingen and can be hired, for reasons he is not a valid option.)

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Nobody cares about Cyan and Gau is too finicky; Team Brothers is still the only option.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

mauman posted:

Sadly for Jack and Mogley, team LORN is still the best team here.

plus you get an awesome scene if the brothers are with you

...Yeah let's go with this.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Bring the Bash Brothers, Leave and Stay!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Still gotta say the brothers, they're the better members of the party at this point by a healthy margin.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Well... Ramuh kinda looks like FuSoYa, so Puddin

Wait, scratch that.

I'm Abusin' and confusin', everybody discovers
They can't help but be hooked on the brothers! Unh!!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, as much as I'd love for Jack to get some screentime, team brothers get a nice little scene that gives quite a bit of characterization to one of them if they're along for the next part.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I vote for Bowser and Empty Slot...

Just kidding! I vote we keep the same party we've been using. Leave has already distributed Espers among them so it will be less trouble to unequip these and distribute them again.

Oh, and 10 bucks says that gate doesn't last. And that it will be a bad thing. Just a feeling.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Aaaaand we have magic
This is why people in the know try to low-level game their way until Zozo. Because this is how you fix SabinLeave's magic, which is what his blitzes run off of.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 24, 2016

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
We're bringing the Super Figaro Bros. with us!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's a good thing we don't face any consequences for the people we leave behind in Narshe, because there's no way Jack and Mowgli can put up good defenses. Well... maybe Jack, if he got involved with that kind of thing at Doma?

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
The Super Figaro Bros get my vote, because they're my favourites.

ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

Where did the punster go when he was defeated? The "punitentiary"!
Let's go with the Figaro Bros, because they're clearly better suited to the task than some old dude with a sword and some kid no one wanted.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Fudge Handsome posted:

The Super Figaro Bros get my vote, because they're my favourites.

Nthing this. Leave and Remain are awesome.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Aaaaand we have magic
This is why people in the know try to low-level game their way until Zozo. Because this is how you fix SabinLeave's magic, which is what his blitzes run off of.

If you keep someone low until you get an esper that gives +speed you can turn him into Quicksilver, attacking and doing stuff while everyone just stands still.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

: As good as he was, Cloud was still no match for Mario. GRRR!

Chapter 8: Zozo Zsuckers

"A fish with sharp tusks. Attacks with its strong jaws."
: A piranha immune to poison. No good in Kammie's stews. Also not as good as my Piranha Plants.

"A petty officer in the imperial army. Attacks with Swing."
: This Trooper is about even with my standard Koopa Troopa. I think they need more training...

"A heavily-armored imperial guard dog. Pounces in to attack the party."
: A dog that can't be put to sleep? Sounds like a good guard dog to me!

"A defeated soldier with no sense of dignity. Muddles enemies by throwing Stones."
: Gwa hahahaha! What a wimp!

"A violent, aggressive hornet. Puts foes to sleep with its SleepSting."
: Mind Candy? Who names these things?

"A giant roaming the town of Zozo. He puts all of his strength into a mean HeadButt. Sometimes he'll also send a Magnitude 8 quake at you."
: That Hades Gigas has gloves? I think I could use a pair...

"Attacks with Sickle and Mythril Knife. Sometimes he'll steal your GP, too."
: He better not steal my coins if he knows what's good for him!

"Uses Vanish to make his allies disappear. Use magic against invisible foes."
: Gobbledygook! Gabbldegak! Invisibility might be helpful...

"A magician with three types of magic at his disposal. Watch your HP level closely!"
: This SlamDancer seems to be better at magic than my Magikoopas! Bwahahahaha!

"Before you fight this foe, several Piranha will appear. El Nino is very strong, so make sure you restore your party before you challenge this boss."
: I suddenly want fish sticks... KAMMIE!

"An executive officer in the Narshe attack forces. Attacks with Virite and SilverPike. He's weak vs. Fire, so use Terra's Fire magic if she's in the party."
: Or just let me roast & toast the Rider with my fire!

"Grr...! Don't think you've won!"
: This clown again?

"Dadaluma attacks with ShockWave and uses Potions. If the battle drags on, he'll call allies, so focus your attacks on him first."
: Weak to poison, but also immune to poison? Something's not right there...

: That was quite a list! But now it's time for me to go kidnap Peach again! Gwahahahaha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Explosionface posted:

The creature here is a reference to DnD's "Hill Giant", not unlike how DnD Beholders show up. For whatever reason, Square just likes using the term Gigas instead of Giant... probably because it does sound cooler.

It could be that when DnD was first translated into Japanese they used the word "Gigas" for Giant instead of straight up Giant. Gigas is a Greek word for Giant.

• Locked thread