Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

racists who are just itching for a chance to shoot some minorities.

It's literally the same mindset.

Mamma bear can only protect herself and her cub from perverts by being armed. [EDIT] and not just regular, gun in the nightstand armed, but hanging out on your front porch strapped. This story is so cliche I'm surprised she didn't make the creeper black too.

CannedMacabre has a new favorite as of 07:22 on Sep 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
If only it were possible to go inside and lock the door. If only.

CannedMacabre posted:

It's literally the same mindset.

Mamma bear can only protect herself and her cub from perverts by being armed. [EDIT] and not just regular, gun in the nightstand armed, but hanging out on your front porch strapped. This story is so cliche I'm surprised she didn't make the creeper black too.
And coincidentally, the Bad Man(tm) isn't armed himself, so Mama Bear has nothing to fear by showing off her gun & escalating the situation. Because you never have to worry about your attempts at badassery backfiring in a heroism fantasy.

See also: The guys who think they'll have perfect aim and won't be mistaken for another hostile shooter if they ever try to be the good guy with a gun.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

True or not, flashing a gun in your waistband at someone only 5 yards away is not a great idea surely? He could easily cover that distance and overpower her long before she got ready to shoot

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

St Evan Echoes posted:

True or not, flashing a gun in your waistband at someone only 5 yards away is not a great idea surely? He could easily cover that distance and overpower her long before she got ready to shoot

A trained swordsman with a katana could defeat someone with a gun from twenty yards away

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ein cooler Typ posted:

A trained swordsman with a katana could defeat someone with a gun from twenty yards away

Exactly. Katana in one hand, gun in the other, like that you can defeat a lot of people from twenty yards away.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

"he doesn't live here, he went to another street. gently caress calling the cops though, since I have a lot of Facebook stuff to do "

Haifisch posted:

If only it were possible to go inside and lock the door. If only.

And coincidentally, the Bad Man(tm) isn't armed himself, so Mama Bear has nothing to fear by showing off her gun & escalating the situation. Because you never have to worry about your attempts at badassery backfiring in a heroism fantasy.

See also: The guys who think they'll have perfect aim and won't be mistaken for another hostile shooter if they ever try to be the good guy with a gun.

Honestly, if this situation was real, which it almost certainly isn't, she'd be right in using her gun to dissuade the man and protect herself.

Too bad it didn't happen.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ein cooler Typ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw6dlv9rwVE

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

I'd be willing to believe this one if it didn't go to "I bet he would have killed my child and any unarmed people like those people who get offended about guns :smuggo: I totally would have killed him by the way because I'm a hero" in the last half

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Masen??

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

quote:

This troper's college had an 'Alcohol Awareness Week', and in the cafeteria they were serving free "Mocktails", mixed drinks that were basically orange soda and Sprite with splashes of fruity syrup and a lime wedge. This troper got into a debate with the people serving them over the logic of demoting one drug (alcohol) while promoting another, more addictive drug (caffeine). The argument ended like this:
Teacher: Well, you don't endanger the lives of others every time you drink a Mountain Dew.
This Troper: Maybe YOU don't.
Wait, which one of thosse items has caffiene?
The Mountain Dew, of course.

Neither Orange soda nor Sprite has caffeine.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Zero One posted:

:goonsay:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Zero One posted:

Is that maybe what the last few lines were trying to express? Not that any of this happened.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I can believe that a troper would get into the wrong side of a stupid debate over whether caffeine is better than alcohol, 100%

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

WrenP-Complete posted:

Is that maybe what the last few lines were trying to express? Not that any of this happened.

Yeah the last couple lines were confusing. He just started talking about Mountain Dew even though it wasn't being served.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Zero One posted:

Is this even something you'd encounter in a college? You know, as opposed to middle school.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

This reads like somebody updated a STDH from the '70s.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Non Serviam posted:

Is this even something you'd encounter in a college? You know, as opposed to middle school.

Well considering I've never heard of someone calling a professor "teacher" I think you might be on to something here. There's a crack in his story...I'm beginning to wonder if it even happened at all!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

From our favorite website...

quote:

(One of the most common substitutions I do is swapping out dairy for soy milk. Most of the time it’s just a taste preference, but it can also be because of allergy. The customer here is about ten or eleven, with a number of other kids around.)

Girl: “…and can I have my milkshake with soy milk? I’m very allergic to dairy.”

Me: “Sure, that’s not a problem. We even have a separate blender, okay?”

Girl: “Oh, good, thanks!”

(A minute later, as I’m handing off her drink.)

Girl: “Wait, can I get whipped cream on mine?”

Me: “Sorry, I— You said you have a dairy allergy? The whipped cream is made from milk.”

Girl: “No, it’s not! It’s whipped CREAM, not milk!”

Me: *thinking quickly* “Is your mom or dad here with you?”

Girl: “Yeah, why?”

Me: “If they say it’s okay, I’ll put whipped cream on your milkshake.”

(A few minutes later, with her mother:)

Girl’s Mom: “Why would you embarrass her in front of her friends like that? That was cruel of you to do!”

Me: “I’m very sorry, but I didn’t want to give her anything that might make her sick.”

Girl’s Mom: “Well, she swells up and stops breathing, but she’s got an Epi-Pen for that. I just can’t believe you would humiliate my daughter. It’s hard enough for her to have allergies. You need to be more sensitive!”

(This went on for about five minutes. The girl’s friends didn’t notice a thing until her mother started carrying on. Best part? I’m also allergic to dairy, and generally consider airways closing up a lot more embarrassing than checking with my mom!)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

WrenP-Complete posted:

From our favorite website...

I read that whole exchange, god help me, but my brain just slotted any memory of it into the same drawer that contains the "Chester Cheetah shaking three dimensions back into his head after a traumatic injury" sound effect.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

This reads like somebody updated a STDH from the '70s.

'70s, nothing, this STDH is nearly a full century old:

A book published in 1917, via snopes.com posted:

A young woman in Central Park overheard an old negress call to a pickaninny: "Come heah, Exy, Exy!"

"Excuse me, but that's a queer name for a baby, aunty?"

"Dat ain't her full name," explained the old woman with pride; "dat's jes' de pet name I calls for short. Dat child got a mighty grand name. Her ma picked it out in a medicine book — yessum, de child's full name is Eczema."

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Pththya-lyi posted:

'70s, nothing, this STDH is nearly a full century old:

That's incredible, I knew it stretched back a while but I can't believe it's literally the exact same racist joke 100 years ago

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

WrenP-Complete posted:

I'm not kidding. I didn't attend college in the US, so I don't know if this childish anti alcohol things are something that actually exists, or if the author couldn't even get THAT right.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Non Serviam posted:

I'm not kidding. I didn't attend college in the US, so I don't know if this childish anti alcohol things are something that actually exists, or if the author couldn't even get THAT right.

A majority of the students aren't legally allowed to drink; I'm pretty sure the "Alcohol Awareness Week" thing is more about teaching people not drink like idiots than anything else.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Xen Tricks posted:

That's incredible, I knew it stretched back a while but I can't believe it's literally the exact same racist joke 100 years ago

We've come so far! :downs:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Quora: What is the creepiest phone call or voice message you've ever received?

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-creepiest-phone-call-or-voice-message-youve-ever-received/answer/Richard-Muller-3?srid=TBt8

Highlights:

quote:

Richard Muller, Prof Physics, UCBerkeley, author "Now-The Physics of Time" (Norton, 2016)
Updated Jul 3

I got a message saying “I wouldn't drive tomorrow morning...lest you be blown to bits.” It had been sent the previous day, but I was reading it in the morning. Just as I got that message, I heard my wife starting the car outside. It did not blow up.

It was an email threat, the third email I had received from that person. The Berkeley Police politely looked at it, and told me there was no way to trace it. So I asked my class if there were any hackers who might do better. (At that time I was teaching the class for physics majors and engineers.) After class, about six students came up to help. Indeed, they were able to trace the email, and I got the name of a registered student. I gave it to the police; they went to his apartment, he confessed, and he was arrested.

quote:

I asked to meet with him, and against the strong advice of the police I did. I spoke to him, and learned that he did it because he thought I might be “vulnerable” (actually, because of my novel about Jesus!). He seemed to feel lost in the world, and doing things like that made him feel that he had some power over others.

I asked him whom else he had threatened (remarkably, the police had not done that!), and he named another student, and then added, “and President Clinton.” So I told the police, and they contacted the other student, and the US Secret Service. The Secret Service came to investigate, and the perpetrator will be watched by them for the rest of his life. I did not press charges, and he did not go to prison.

quote:

The incident happened in December 1996. I just dug out the old messages. It turns out that the worst threat was made by email. His “explanation” for the threat was my novel The Sins of Jesus (now available on Amazon Kindle).

A person was angry about my novel (now on Amazon!) but I got my hacker students to find him and he confessed to me that he did it because I was an atheist and he was also out to get the president. New book available from Norton!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Prof has pretty poor reading comprehension. Gotta plug his book anyway.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
That horrible atheist professor will soon meet his demise when a brave navy seal calls him out on his lies.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

hyperhazard posted:

Quora: What is the creepiest phone call or voice message you've ever received?

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-creepiest-phone-call-or-voice-message-youve-ever-received/answer/Richard-Muller-3?srid=TBt8

Highlights:

A person was angry about my novel (now on Amazon!) but I got my hacker students to find him and he confessed to me that he did it because I was an atheist and he was also out to get the president. New book available from Norton!

I like to imagine that this dude has a bunch of posts under his name, on different forums and subforums, on completely different topics, and all of which lead to his book.

"So if you want to level that table, you can put a small book under the leg there. Of course, I wouldn't recommend it doing it with my book THE SINS OF JESUS, since it's a kindle exclusive, so you'd lose a kindle to fix that table! 😉"

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Is this really that implausible? I have done too much police liaison work. :negative:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

WrenP-Complete posted:

Is this really that implausible? I have done too much police liaison work. :negative:

It's more that he uses every opportunity to self-promote while telling the story that makes it shady.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
quora is like the dunning-kruger effect crystallized into a forum

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

quora is like the dunning-kruger effect crystallized into a forum

When you have a problem, search for an answer, and only get Quora results...

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

WrenP-Complete posted:

Some random fanatic kid threatening the president without attracting any attention from secret service or fbi or something and then being hunted down by 1337 H4X0RS?

Nah, checksout

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

"How did I end up dating this guy? What did I even see in him to begin with?"

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
How can I be misogynist? I love my wife :smuggo: Check mate, liberal

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
"This troper has in past resorted to teaching females nerdy pursuits, introducing them to his tastes in (extremely loud heavy metal) music, and so forth. A Crowning Moment Of Awesome of this was teaching binary to a chatroom full of girls using a seldom-used function of an IM program and it actually sticking"

I'm like 90000% sure this is Kuuenbu.

goon posted:

I heard a story from the guys a couple classes above me. One time they put on 3 hats, and wrote on them 1, 2, 4. Teachers were all like "No you can't wear hats in class!!" so they took the hats off, but the teachers could'nt stop thinking about hat number 3. Who was wearing it and where. I think at least one teacher had to take early retirement over that.

This made me laugh like gently caress, but I don't know if it's true.

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 15:20 on Sep 27, 2016

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Teacher resigned!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I am not a number! I'm a free man!