Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

ExecuDork posted:

Squirrels are rats with furry tails. No mammal is truly vegetarian (mother's milk pedantry aside), anything furry will happily have blood running down its face given the opportunity. Chipmunks apparently are important predators of Warblers, and high-grade by eating the brains first when they raid a nest with hatchlings. Cute and Fuzzy is highly compatible with Bloodthirsty.

The same goes for most birds - they're just the descendents of dinosaurs too hard-core to be killed by something as trifling as a world-shaking comet impact.

Apparently large slugs can also eat baby birds. I never knew that.

edit: Also deer.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/field-cameras-catch-deer-eating-birds-wait-why-do-deer-1689440870

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

The Wife & I went out for a hike this weekend and I saw a few critters while out and about, although only two of them stayed in a spot long enough for me to get decent pictures. I saw a perfect spot to get a better shot of the deer, but it would have gotten me too close and it would ran off, work with what you have I suppose!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This guy/gal was super cheesed off at me for stepping on its turf so I tossed the big lens on and took a picture mid-lecture.

Even did a couple passes over my head which I assume is a warning to get the gently caress out. Eventually decided it didn't like the odds of winning a fight against me and moved to a different pole a ways away, allowing me to take the pictures I showed up to do. Instant I got back in my car to leave it flew back to the original post and barked a couple final complaints at me. :getout:

xzzy fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 2, 2016

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

This is rad.

I went to Big Bend National Park back in April and, while I didn't see a whole lot of wildlife there, it was a great place.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Cat by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Came across this forgotten one from last year.

Zank Frappa
Oct 16, 2006
Freak me out Frank.

Wow the stuff in this thread is incredible. Got my first DSLR a couple of weeks ago and ran into this very tame guy at a local wildelife reserve.

bird3 by Cantebury Nz, on Flickr

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I have no idea what this means, but it made me laugh. Thanks.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Ika posted:

She was lying in the shadows, and decided to stick her head out into the bright sunlight for a couple of minutes before going back to sleep.

Oh man what a portrait! How close where you? :stare:

-CHA posted:

Cat by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Came across this forgotten one from last year.

I love the tone in this one. And look at those fat paws! :kimchi:

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Dick Trauma posted:

Oh man what a portrait! How close where you? :stare:

I'm always bad at guesstimating distance, but I would say around 4-5 meters away.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

DorianGravy posted:

I have no idea what this means, but it made me laugh. Thanks.

it's a reference to this dumb thing. the lizard in your pic doesn't have its mouth open so obviously it can't make all the sounds from the original. i just like the "smile" that lizards have sometimes :)

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

More otters.

otters 6 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

otter pup by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

And some cross-posting from the bird thread. I did a couple of Peregrine Falcon stakeouts this weekend.

peregrine by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

peregrine 4 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

peregrine 2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

peregrine 6 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
In two weeks I'll be making my first visit to Yellowstone. If all goes to plan I'll be gored by a bison, disemboweled by a bear, lose my face to a couger before being finished off by a pack of wolves.

Starting to get excited.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

IMO, the best bison viewing is the NE area of the parks along US-212. Lamar valley is beautiful and there's fewer visitors so you're less likely to have your trip ruined by some dipshit thinking they can walk up and pet a wild animal.

Bears are a lot of luck, though once one is sighted rangers tend to show up pretty quick to make sure nothing silly happens so if you see one lingering feel free to ask them what's up.

Never seen any cats or wolves there, though they are around. You'll probably spot some moose and elk.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I'll settle for some beaver action....

I'd like to at least spot a Black bear but I won't be too disappointed if I don't get any grade A grizzy photo ops. I've spent some time in Finland photographing brown bears plus for Grizzlies Yellowstone is blown away by places like lake Clark.

Wolves are the ones where I'm hoping I beat the odds. A cougar would be the dream but that clearly just not going to happen.

Living in the shadow of London, the largest mammal I usually come across is a roe deer. The largest predators are the red fox and badgers. So I'm just planning on enjoying proper wilderness and hoping more for a decent number of quality photo ops irrespective of the species.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
In the spring at least, Lamar Valley (and just west of Lamar) are the places to see wolves. They are most likely going to be way far away on the far side of a valley, so look for people with spotting scopes- there can be some semi-official volunteer wolf-spotters with radios who keep an eye on known packs. In the middle of the day the wolves are probably going to be sleeping in the shade and really hard to see.

e: This was my best wolf shot on my last trip- took a half hour for one of them to stand up.

Distant Wolf-6508 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 6, 2016

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

When have you crossed the line between brave, and terminally stupid?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Based on the number of large cat owners that have had gifs flooding reddit lately you were probably perfectly safe. They're just big cuddly housecats apparently.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

xzzy posted:

Based on the number of large cat owners that have had gifs flooding reddit lately you were probably perfectly safe. They're just big cuddly housecats apparently.

I'm talking about the pair of sparrows charging the lioness. This was at the zoo so I would hope I was safe!

Ika fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 12, 2016

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I'm not sure where the best place to ask this is - but what are your thoughts on clipping the tail when cropping? Often I have photos where including the animal's tail would double or triple the size, or change the aspect ratio from landscape to portrait. For wallpaper use its easy, since I can switch to wide / panorama aspects, but often I want to keep the default 3:2 aspect. I know its very situational but still.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Nice marmot.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Ika posted:

I'm talking about the pair of sparrows charging the lioness.
European House Sparrows, at least those I see in Canada, seem to be the species most self-aware of its own ecological strategy. They're firmly on the "r" side of the r-K spectrum, and act like they know it. That peanut inside the predator strike cone of that big, bored cat is the difference between 6 fledglings this year or 7, not the difference between life and death. If you die, at least die a good death and "splattered by one smack of a lion's paw" is pretty high on the list of Good Deaths for Sparrows.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Plus birds sometimes just like to gently caress with us surface bound creatures and see what they can get away with.

If there's two birds it's basically a "hold my beer and watch this" situation.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Having to wrangle the local elk herd is dicey sometimes. Had to move along this guy and his gals from the elementary school parking lot. The second is a video of him chasing one of the ladies from the rushes.

Bull, with foilage by B. B., on Flickr

Bull Chase by B. B., on Flickr

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

xzzy posted:

Plus birds sometimes just like to gently caress with us surface bound creatures and see what they can get away with.

If there's two birds it's basically a "hold my beer and watch this" situation.

Yeah birds are basically Jackass, the animal

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It's 6am and I'm about to head in to Yellowstone looking for some elk at sunrise....

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's 6am and I'm about to head in to Yellowstone looking for some elk at sunrise....

Go get 'em. Remember, the ladies can gently caress you up just as much as the bulls, so be careful.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Elks were proving elusive until we were in the right place this afternoon. Bison are much more cooperative, especially in the morning for, by being everywhere. Except they're always head down....

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I haven't been out with a camera for a long time, so I'm going back through old stuff trying out different processing

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I hate to follow InternetJunky, because, drat!

Here, you bastard, have a picture from my front loving yard.

Unbalanced Buck by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 3, 2016

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Happy fawns playing

DSC_5931.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_5943.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_5954.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_5967.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_6013.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_5971.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\/\
super cute!

Some kind of anole in New Orleans

Nola Cemetary Anole-3295 on Flickr

Nola Cemetary Anole-3293 on Flickr

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

WPY 2016 winner announced.

Probably the best winner in a few years.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

WPY 2016 winner announced.

Probably the best winner in a few years.

The photo of the hyena standing in front of the river of wildebeest gore is fantastic.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I spy with my raven eye :xd:

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

More otters:

otter-face 1 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

The mother showing her pup how to do a proper latrine dance:

otters-potty 1 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Some bachelor bull elk antler wrestling:

elk-antlers 2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Rutting behavior from the dominant bull:

elk-toss by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A calf nursing:

elk-nursing by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

do otters poop on shore??? :roflolmao:

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

do otters poop on shore??? :roflolmao:
They do. River otters establish commonly-used latrine sites above the high tide mark so that they can send scent signals to all the other otters in the area and let them know who is nearby. There are competing theories for why river otters do this, ranging from aggressive territorial displays to broadcasting fertility to coordinating communal meeting spots, and some long-term studies in my area seem to suggest the latter. A 1964 survey of otter latrine sites on the Lake Tolowa/Lake Earl lagoon near Crescent City almost perfectly matches contemporary surveys of the same site, seemingly ruling out the more selfish motives in the first two scenarios. They also do a fantastic dance while making a deposit at the latrine site.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOWot9sKgu0&t=9s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Trip to the zoo and some random wildlife.

IMG_3801.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_3767.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_3732.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_3808.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr