Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Nothing wrong about wanting to gently caress a robbit, mate

don't be racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zzulu posted:

don't be racist

Oh sure, if he just said "I want to gently caress that robot", that would be fine and I wouldn't even comment on it.

But the fact that he's so clearly disturbed by his desire to gently caress the robot, and that seems to be the entire basis for objecting to the robot, is creepy. Insisting they call it "her", not wanting to tell anyone until it's "...perfect", dude is being really creepy about what should be a completely normal desire to gently caress a robot.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Zzulu posted:

don't be racist

... but not until she's PERFECT.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
That leggy brunette robot is hot as gently caress.I don't understand the problem.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

That leggy brunette robot is hot as gently caress.I don't understand the problem.

Not. PERFECT.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

I really appreciate that in the first episode of season 4 they immediately visually established that Daisy has gone rogue and is working on her own by slathering on the eye makeup with a trowel.

The audience can just look at all that eyeshadow and instinctively know, "ooh, she's not in a good place"

Honestly it looks like she's become a hardcore goth girl than anything. I half expect her to be rocking out to Manson having bought a Matrix trench coat.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Blazing Ownager posted:

Honestly it looks like she's become a hardcore goth girl than anything.

I'm way into it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I wish I was way into Daisy.

I will speak no more on the matter, if you need me I'll be back in the basement.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

What security level color do you think the director is?

Azhais posted:

Ultraviolet obviously

This is the correct answer. Anyone who gave any other answer is a commie mutant traitor, and must immediatly report to Friend Computer for termination. Have a nice day!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I would very much like to be in on this joke, as I like enjoy hu-mon laughing and "root beer."

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gavok posted:

I couldn't marathon it like I could with Daredevil because of that. I'd also usually follow it up by looking at a comic panel of Luke Cage headbutting Kilgrave so hard that he caved his face in.
I guess this is more for the Netflix thread, but what really got me about Kilgrave was where he talked about being unable to tell the difference morally, because when you grow up just suddenly having this power and people will do whatever you want, how do even you figure that out? And once you do, how do you know if they're doing anything willingly? Obviously at some point he started exploiting it, but he would've had to be extremely careful of his speech around anyone he wasn't trying to manipulate. He probably unwittingly killed and raped a bunch of people before he realized it was his fault, so after a while he just stopped censoring himself and went full evil because it's easier than dealing with guilt over how horrible you are. Not to paint him too sympathetically because again, he exploited it to an extreme degree, but it leads me to wonder who wouldn't.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

But that's in additive colour mixing, while "orange encompasses red and yellow" is subtractive. Ruins the whole elegance of the system. Really he'd have to be black, or rainbow.
Wait, so if it's subtractive, does this mean there are several different types of brown level clearance?

"You can't come in here, you're purple/yellow brown, not red/green brown."

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Shinjobi posted:

I wish I was way into Daisy.

I will speak no more on the matter, if you need me I'll be back in the basement.

If I was blind I would also wish for the gift of sight.I feel you.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

sticklefifer posted:

I guess this is more for the Netflix thread, but what really got me about Kilgrave was where he talked about being unable to tell the difference morally, because when you grow up just suddenly having this power and people will do whatever you want, how do even you figure that out? And once you do, how do you know if they're doing anything willingly? Obviously at some point he started exploiting it, but he would've had to be extremely careful of his speech around anyone he wasn't trying to manipulate. He probably unwittingly killed and raped a bunch of people before he realized it was his fault, so after a while he just stopped censoring himself and went full evil because it's easier than dealing with guilt over how horrible you are. Not to paint him too sympathetically because again, he exploited it to an extreme degree, but it leads me to wonder who wouldn't.

Yeah. The overall vibe is that he could've turned out different, since there was the entire segment where he bought Jessica's old house with a bag of money and had to visibly restrain himself from ordering him (until the very end, when the guy was getting obnoxious and wouldn't go away). Plus, his glee at having "helped" out with fighting crime and legitimately wanting to try it. Ultimately, though, he reverts to using his powers whenever he can't get his way and throws what's essentially a lethal childish tantrum, which is why he has to be put down.

The fact that Tennant's so incredibly good at being a creepy, disturbing prick makes his death immensely satisfying---which is still vaguely sad, because he was legitimately excited to have Jessica back. He literally couldn't understand why she wasn't okay with it and the last thought he probably had was "WH—." (Also the "SMILE" line had me hootin 'n hollerin at my tv)

Whole lotta good poo poo going on in the writing and I'm really excited about Season 2. I don't know who's selecting their writing staff, but Marvel can literally do no wrong right now.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 24, 2016

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

Marvel can literally do no wrong right now.

Counterpoint: Removing Hunter from this show.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Chokes McGee posted:

Marvel can literally do no wrong right now.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Still way into it. Rub your head against me Tilda.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Kheldarn posted:

Counterpoint: Removing Hunter from this show.

Countercounterpoint: Putting him back on now that there's nothing for him to do :getin:

Not... seeing the problem? :confused: I mean she can punch a man so hard his soul flies out so

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

Countercounterpoint: Putting him back on now that there's nothing for him to do :getin:

If he comes back, that will be great. But I'm not counting on it... :smith:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It kinda sucks that they couldn't get an Asian to play the Ancient One but Tilda Swinton is an amazing choice for the direction they're taking that character but also it kinda makes you realize how most of the Asians seen the MCU are literal ninjas.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

MrAristocrates posted:

It kinda sucks that they couldn't get an Asian to play the Ancient One but Tilda Swinton is an amazing choice for the direction they're taking that character but also it kinda makes you realize how most of the Asians seen the MCU are literal ninjas.

At least they didn't get introduced with a gong a'la john hughes. Progress.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Zzulu posted:

don't be racist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVNHytyB2rE

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

MrAristocrates posted:

I mean, they could have, but then we'd probably be criticizing them for casting an Asian as the wise eastern mystic stereotype. Ancient One was pretty no-win for Marvel, so at least they did something interesting.

Edit: this isn't to say there isn't a conversation to be had about the MCU and tv treatment of Asians.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 25, 2016

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
His origin has a lot of orientalist mysticism about it but casting Asian actors would have given them a chance to change those aspects and let Asian people own the rolls in a better context. Instead they just cast another white person.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MrAristocrates posted:

I'm going to pretend that the Ancient One is literally the Master from Venture Bros and decided to take the form of Tilda Swinton

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Fitz insisting that they call the robot "she" when he clearly wants to gently caress it is the creepiest thing.

I like that Dr. Radcliffe isn't the one that wants to gently caress the robot and insists on calling it "It." But yeah, Fitz went straight to creepy.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

sunday at work posted:

His origin has a lot of orientalist mysticism about it but casting Asian actors would have given them a chance to change those aspects and let Asian people own the rolls in a better context. Instead they just cast another white person.
This was always a no-win situation, really.

The Ancient One is Tibetan. (at least the version everyone is complaining this isn't)
Putting a Tibetan into the movie means admitting Tibet exists.
China is a huge market for Disney. MASSIVE.
China reacts badly to Tibet being mentioned. Vindictively so.
So... The Ancient One being Tibetan was never an option.

The options at that point are "Who can we get who has the spooky, otherworldly air about them that we want for the role" (Tilda can't turn that off if she tried) or "We need one of them other asian-types for the role. Doesn't matter what kind, they're interchangeable." One option means casting someone based on their acting skill and general presence, and the other is kinda racist.

More diversity in casting is a good thing, and here they picked a woman to play this major character that was (usually) a man in the source material. Y'know, exactly the sort thing people had been complaining about.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

MrAristocrates posted:

I guess it's a good thing that Agents of SHIELD is different. Who do we have hereanyway? May, Daisy, Daisymom. Telekinetic hydra cook(? To be honest, I don't really remember his race.) That's all i can think of right now- As far as I'm aware, none of them are literal ninjas.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
They need to bring in Agents of Atlas. Jimmy Woo, a robot, an alien, and an immortal gorilla.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Robot Hobo posted:

More diversity in casting is a good thing, and here they picked a woman to play this major character that was (usually) a man in the source material. Y'know, exactly the sort thing people had been complaining about.

I think this is the nice thing. That like apparently the MCU is doing a good enough job representing women and African Americans that we're talking about the Asian representation. To me that's kind of a good thing and I imagine in a couple of years we'll have some mix of Echo, Shang Chi, Kamala Khan, Colleen Wing, Sister Grimm, Amadeus Cho, or whoever else I can't think of established in the MCU and we'll be asking for the hispanic or gay heroes.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Robot Hobo posted:

This was always a no-win situation, really.

The Ancient One is Tibetan. (at least the version everyone is complaining this isn't)
Putting a Tibetan into the movie means admitting Tibet exists.
China is a huge market for Disney. MASSIVE.
China reacts badly to Tibet being mentioned. Vindictively so.
So... The Ancient One being Tibetan was never an option.

This is actually a good point that I hadn't thought of.

I'm guessing that's not the case for the TV shows, though? The actress who played Daisy's mom is ethnically Tibetan.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Radio! posted:

I'm guessing that's not the case for the TV shows, though? The actress who played Daisy's mom is ethnically Tibetan.
Her character was Chinese, with no history in the comic to look back on, so even if the Chinese censors cared, it's a pretty obscure thing.

Casting anyone who might be even maybe mistaken for Tibetan as a character who has been Tibetan for decades in the comics and is one of the leads of this movie is a whole other level. Chinese censors may take one look and say "Huh, well, this character was Tibetan before... and they've got a guy here who looks like he could be Tibetan... Tibet's not real! gently caress THIS!"

Or maybe nothing at all would happen, but there's no way to know that until it's too late. That's a billion-dollar risk for Disney to take when they could just go get Tilda Swinton, who is likely to knock the role out of the park anyway.

That and, yeah, I really assume movies would be under a shitload more scrutiny than TV shows for this sort of thing. They're huge events, and China's cinema business has been growing at a crazy rate.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 25, 2016

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

STAC Goat posted:

or whoever else I can't think of established in the MCU and we'll be asking for the hispanic or gay heroes.

The melter guy last season was both.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Whizbang posted:

The melter guy last season was both.

Yeah, they had literally a single line of dialogue establishing he was gay.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Also the scene where he got called in, and he was on a date with a guy

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Guy Goodbody posted:

I thought his boyfriend was referenced a few times?

And isn't that the ideal form of representation? We don't need to bring the show to a grinding halt and say HEY THIS GUY IS HOMOSEXUAL. HE IS SEXUALLY ATTRACTED TO PEOPLE OF THE SAME GENDER AS HIMSELF.

He's just a guy who happens to be dating another guy.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Yeah, he and YoYo even discussed his failed date and laughed about it later. I feel like the lack of prominence of that part of his character is more because he's so rarely around than anything else.

edit: although now that I think about it, he is the only agent to not have had a romantic subplot with another actual character and not just an off-screen person. That's what I get for giving Marvel the benefit of the doubt I guess.

Radio! fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 25, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ShakeZula posted:

Also the scene where he got called in, and he was on a date with a guy

Fair enough. I will admit, I do not pay 100% attention while watching this show.

jivjov posted:

I thought his boyfriend was referenced a few times?

And isn't that the ideal form of representation? We don't need to bring the show to a grinding halt and say HEY THIS GUY IS HOMOSEXUAL. HE IS SEXUALLY ATTRACTED TO PEOPLE OF THE SAME GENDER AS HIMSELF.

He's just a guy who happens to be dating another guy.

Yeah but you'll never actually see him kiss a dude on screen.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah but you'll never actually see him kiss a dude on screen.

Why does this thread ALWAYS return to "They just talked"????

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I liked Joey. He was pretty cool. I hope he comes back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Finally watched the episode last night. I immediately wondered whether the VR tech would be their defense against the ghosty thing, depending on how it works -- giving you something to look at other than the horrors it's showing you.

• Locked thread