Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
That's sort of the point of the demiurge. Godly power corrupted by petty mortal desires.

The last act of the game was serviceable but its themes sort of hijacked the character writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Elma wasn't in her spot when I came to grab her and I freaked out because she's required for everything. Resetting didn't fix it, leaving the room different fix it.

If changing the time to the morning from the afternoon hadn't made her come back I was afraid I'd have had to restart my game...

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Oxxidation posted:

That's sort of the point of the demiurge. Godly power corrupted by petty mortal desires.

The last act of the game was serviceable but its themes sort of hijacked the character writing.

I was just about to post this, yeah. The problem with the last act of Xenoblade isn't the way Zanza's written, it's that the dev team suddenly remembered they have to shove Gnosticism into your face as hard as possible.

NTT posted:

Elma wasn't in her spot when I came to grab her and I freaked out because she's required for everything. Resetting didn't fix it, leaving the room different fix it.

If changing the time to the morning from the afternoon hadn't made her come back I was afraid I'd have had to restart my game...

Your buddies will wander around town for heart to hearts once you've reached a certain approval level with them, like in Chronicles. That's probably what was up.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Holy poo poo I forgot how expensive the amdusias was.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I decided to replay this game on a whim due to being kinda bored and feeling that exploration itch again. Thankfully my poor memory made me forget most of the stuff in this game, though I still remembered enough to make the experience smoother as a whole. As a sort of test, I'm trying to see how far I can make it without using Skells in combat at all, and only using them for exploration where it is absolutely necessary.

Lemme tell you guys, exploring Cauldros fully on foot? COMPLETELY different experience. You'd think it'd be close to impossible to explore it without flight, or at least skell mobility, but it forces you to actually use the teleporter network that exists in the zone, which is kinda cool.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Infinity Gaia posted:

Lemme tell you guys, exploring Cauldros fully on foot? COMPLETELY different experience. You'd think it'd be close to impossible to explore it without flight, or at least skell mobility, but it forces you to actually use the teleporter network that exists in the zone, which is kinda cool.

Wait, there's a teleporter network in Cauldros?

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Infinity Gaia posted:

I did this as much as possible everywhere before getting my skell and it was a lot of fun, especially with terrain damage null augments

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Wait, there's a teleporter network in Cauldros?

Yup. You take teleporter pads that mostly seem to exist on top of major Ganglion structures and they take you to that giant mining complex thing in the sky, which you then use to move around the place without needing flight. It's pretty cool and does a lot for making Cauldros seem bigger and more complex.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

There's also at least one structure in Cauldros that you can only get to by teleporter.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Fourth Wall posted:

There's also at least one structure in Cauldros that you can only get to by teleporter.

It's under Trueno, the Cataclysm.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Finally got around to playing this and while I still haven't messed with things like the Soul Voice stuff, it's a pretty solid game overall. The pacing's justkinda weird due to the exploration and sidequest stuff for the Main Story progress.

After getting the first skell it wasn't as powerful as I'd expected, which seems to be how a fair number of people felt, but as soon as I hit level 30 I jumped in to the Amadusias I'd purchased earlier and uh, yeah, I can't complain about doing 30k damage opening (back) attacks with the beam scythe. I think it took me the same amount of time to go from 29-30 and it took me to go from 30-34 because I'd see non-massive level 40-45 stuff and kill it, and apparently killing things way above your level gives an exp bonus because I'd spend maybe a minute killing some L or XL lvl 40 simian or bug and get 2x (or more) of the xp listed on screen. I think my best kill was a level 52 enemy mech on the shore of a Ganglion base in Oblivia (where I need to sneak in to for a quest now) which was not something I expected to pull off with a pair of lvl 30s and the freebie junker.

I'm already 38 due to the aforementioned high level enemy murderin and subsequent levels it gave me while exploring. Also bought a 2nd Amadusias for Lin but I need to avoid using skells unless there's story fights that require it since these are trivializing boss fights otherwise. I did the NLA defense where the Ganglion steal the alien skell and since I had my skells for it there was zero risk and I think I one-shot one of the two boss enemies thanks to the beam scythe's back attack damage.

Overall I'd say Xenoblade Chronicles felt like a better game but if they make a 3rd XC game I'd still buy it even if they keep the same character designer and his :stonk: faces. I've heard fighting on foot in the endgame can be as good as using a skell, maybe better, but I'm guessing it involves a lot of level XX augment crafting and very specific setups and given how grindy some augment materials look to be, I'm not too worried about trying it. I do wish there was just regular healing in the game because the soul voice activation stuff is way too random and it seems like after you've succeeded a few times in a row you're almost guaranteed to fail because the ring shrinks so drat fast.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Here's how soul voice works, the basics. You do a thing, ie, start the fight by drawing a weapon/using an art. Nail the prompt and hen, if an ally uses the right type of move in time there's a bonus to that move/in general. Your soul voice menu lets you choose what effects go for what triggers, with most being a default condition list with four wildcards. Check which arts your AI allies have and tailor your SVs to them. Or if you're doing coop just choose whatever, your allies will be more likely to respond.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Yeah soul voice works pretty well as long as you tailor your movepool to your team. Psycorrupter et al. Tends to be pretty bad early since your long cooldowns are not condusive to soul voice spam and a lot of your abilities are purple. Without good use of beam boost + aura boosted beam barrage there really isn't much damage there.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I run the MC with a rifle/longsword setup, though I'm leveling through full metal jaegar (due to maxxinf duelist) currently for its skills while usually just bringing Lin/Elma and maybe someone like Doug or Gwin. I get how they're supposed to trigger but I don't get how you affect the chances of it happening (potential?). Sometimes they'll trigger at a decent rate while others I'll see maybe one in a 30second window while an enemy is happily eating someone's face. This game does less to explain game mechanics than EVE Online did.

World bosses seem neat but I had 2 medals, used them, and it sounds like to get more you have to do things like max out your affection with other players' characters you scout in to your team?

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
The things you get from the medal missions is mostly for high level crafting and by that point you can just recruit some scrubs, blast a 90+ tyrant and repeat. Also the game has a Wii U electronic manual which helps explain some stuff better than what the game alone will tell you.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Evil Fluffy posted:

This game does less to explain game mechanics than EVE Online did.

This is what I am facing every time I try to play the game. I have a couple hours into it, having read the manual and all that, and I still have no idea what the hell is going on in game play or plot half the time. It's a mess, which is a shame.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The game is needlessly complex and there really isn't any reason for it to be that way. They needed to trim out so much of the nonsense from this game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

The game is needlessly complex and there really isn't any reason for it to be that way. They needed to trim out so much of the nonsense from this game.

Definitely. There's just layer upon layer of mechanics in this. Augments are fine on their own but combined with soul voices, arts, skills, half a dozen damage types, different enemy sizes, and so on, it's kinda crazy.

That said, I hope to God the next game they do just adds full co-op because doing world tyrant fights and actually having player controlled allies and not AI controlled copies of them was pretty awesome and I'd love to murder through a game like this with friends like in Crackdown and Saint's Row, but with anime and mechs.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

It's truly amazing how much useless crap is in the game. You see a lot of pointless mechanics in Xenosaga Episode 1 too, so I think this is just what happens when you don't give Takahashi a proper editor and just let him do whatever the hell he wants

r00kit Cavalry
Sep 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Evil Fluffy posted:

Definitely. There's just layer upon layer of mechanics in this. Augments are fine on their own but combined with soul voices, arts, skills, half a dozen damage types, different enemy sizes, and so on, it's kinda crazy.

That said, I hope to God the next game they do just adds full co-op because doing world tyrant fights and actually having player controlled allies and not AI controlled copies of them was pretty awesome and I'd love to murder through a game like this with friends like in Crackdown and Saint's Row, but with anime and mechs.

yakman applewhite y u cheat at tribe d00d?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791272

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Evil Fluffy posted:

the next game they do

lol

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I never once touched the stupid loving augments or whatever the poo poo they are and still beat the game but no way in gently caress am I grinding useless crap to best the beyond end game poo poo.

They're working on another grandiose game, the main creator noted he'd like to focus on having a coherent story for the next game. 2021, look forwar to Xenoblade Chronicles X Zygote: Monado Bugaloo Y

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Xenoblade XX (Double Cross).

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Can't wait for Xenoblade N(x)

Real talk tho, I really can't wait for their next major title. X had problems but learning from it and leaning more towards Xenoblade should lead to a great game.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Can't wait for Xenoblade N(x)

Real talk tho, I really can't wait for their next major title. X had problems but learning from it and leaning more towards Xenoblade should lead to a great game.

Hell, I'd take a straight up sequel. I liked the setting and how the characters were generally handled, the ground combat mechanics were great for a first shot it, I liked the music, and just doing stuff in the game had a good feel. Trimming some of the fat in the system mechanics, being a bit less dickish in exploration and combat in some areas, and revamping skell combat to be more interesting are the main improvements I think it needs.

But really the game got enough of the boxes in my checklist right that even if they just made more of the same I'd be happy as a clam.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Give me mech battles in space goddamn it

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I just find Xenoblade X really weird since it feels like a step back from Chronicles in almost every way. this is coming from someone that played halfway through X before even touching Chronicles, so its not like I'm blinded by nostalgia either. Its just a better, more interesting game. The setting of X is a giant mess of confusing plot threads that are probably going to lead to really underwhelming answers.

Also I'd really rather them focus on either ground or vehicle combat rather than try to do both in one game. The Skell combat felt super boring.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I loved skells in concept, but yeah they really make everything too easy. I guess it's kind of interesting when you first get one and you have to make judgments about whether or not it's worth it to risk losing it going through some area that you know is gonna be too much if you get agro'd. But after that just about every fight feels the same. Also the flying music drove me to the ground on like a billion separate occasions because I just can't take it anymore. :psypop:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

As one of the apparent weirdos that likes X over Chronicles in most aspects, even I'd say the skell system needs refinement. And I loving love mechs.

I just hope that their drive to make a better main plot for the next game doesn't drive them to cut back on sidequests. XCX has probably my favorite sidequests in any videogame I've ever played. To me the main plot was just a mediocre framework for the fleshed out world of sidequesting.

As for complexity... Well, I'm kind of a horrible sperg who likes as many complicated systems and numbers as possible, so XCX was right up my alley, but I suppose some of it could be cut away without losing much. Just let me keep the probe optimization minigame, I loved going back to the probe screen every couple hours to see if I could optimize my gain further.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I might not mind the augments thing so much if the interface for moving them around or seeing their effects wasn't obnoxiously awful. Even selling items was a pain. Really the inventory as a whole needed some pretty big improvements, though fortunately it by and large didn't matter too much for the majority of the game.

Also they really need to dump accuracy as a stat, just like every game does.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm fine with complexity when it serves an actual point and isn't actually just a pointless system explained in the worst possible way. The whole division system in X was built up as this big important thing but the mechanical function of every single division was the same. You don't actually do anything special in any division. You just get different amounts of points for doing the same poo poo you are always doing. So there's no reason to actually pick a division based on what the game says they do. Instead you're supposed to pick them based on the perks they provide but basically hide from you.

The divisions might as well not have existed. They certainly didn't need 8 of them at any rate.

VVV The Commander holds you in place for like 15 minutes to carefully explain what every single loving division does in painstaking detail. It makes you think they are gonna be important and not just something that adds an invisible perk most people won't even notice. Its an example of the game explaining something in the most pointlessly complex way.

I also don't remember them having much of a story importance either. You would get a quest and they would mention the division involved but after that it doesn't matter. It was usually just the Pathfinders getting themselves eaten by a giant monster again anyways.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 25, 2016

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm fine with complexity when it serves an actual point and isn't actually just a pointless system explained in the worst possible way. The whole division system in X was built up as this big important thing but the mechanical function of every single division was the same. You don't actually do anything special in any division. You just get different amounts of points for doing the same poo poo you are always doing. So there's no reason to actually pick a division based on what the game says they do. Instead you're supposed to pick them based on the perks they provide but basically hide from you.

The divisions might as well not have existed. They certainly didn't need 8 of them at any rate.

I think the divisions are there more as lore thing that got turned into a minor gameplay mechanic, rather than the other way around. Since, like you said, they're mostly kind of irrelevant, what's the harm?

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Caphi posted:

Xenoblade XX (Double Cross).

I look forward to the adventures of Elma, Lin, and original character Donut Steel in Xenoblade Chronicles X-2.

Internet Kraken posted:

VVV The Commander holds you in place for like 15 minutes to carefully explain what every single loving division does in painstaking detail. It makes you think they are gonna be important and not just something that adds an invisible perk most people won't even notice. Its an example of the game explaining something in the most pointlessly complex way.

I also don't remember them having much of a story importance either. You would get a quest and they would mention the division involved but after that it doesn't matter. It was usually just the Pathfinders getting themselves eaten by a giant monster again anyways.

XBX spends a ridiculous amount of dialog explaining very mundane things.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Infinity Gaia posted:

I think the divisions are there more as lore thing that got turned into a minor gameplay mechanic, rather than the other way around. Since, like you said, they're mostly kind of irrelevant, what's the harm?

They spend a good while presenting it to you and then they treat your choice as a big deal. Each division has a hangar with people nearby and a gigantic logo and everyone's division is really heavily mentioned and signposted loads and loads.
Yet they're totally meaningless to gameplay.

Meanwhile basically the entire stats system and all the bonuses on armour - which took me a long time to really notice - go absolutely unexplained.

In a sequel I'd be hoping for a more streamlined experience like the first game when it comes to skills. But quests like the ones in X since it actually tells you where the bloody quest givers/handins are. Just take out the ones based on collection items. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the collection system itself but making me drive around an area for 30 minutes in the dark because there's a 0.5% chance a certain item will be one of the blue dots there? gently caress that, thanks.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It was kind of remarkable how they took functionality out of the UI from Xenoblade Chronicles. You used to be able to press - on the equip screen to highlight stats and see a description of their function, for X they made the stat system twice as complicated and also removed that function.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Taear posted:

They spend a good while presenting it to you and then they treat your choice as a big deal. Each division has a hangar with people nearby and a gigantic logo and everyone's division is really heavily mentioned and signposted loads and loads.
Yet they're totally meaningless to gameplay.

Meanwhile basically the entire stats system and all the bonuses on armour - which took me a long time to really notice - go absolutely unexplained.

In a sequel I'd be hoping for a more streamlined experience like the first game when it comes to skills. But quests like the ones in X since it actually tells you where the bloody quest givers/handins are. Just take out the ones based on collection items. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the collection system itself but making me drive around an area for 30 minutes in the dark because there's a 0.5% chance a certain item will be one of the blue dots there? gently caress that, thanks.

Oh hell no, you can change augments all you want, but the skills/arts system in XCX is fantastic, even if it does lead to the problem where the NPCs feel pretty interchangeable. There are so many possible builds you can make for yourself, so many neat combinations to try. Much more fun than the system in the original XC, to me at least.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Infinity Gaia posted:

Oh hell no, you can change augments all you want, but the skills/arts system in XCX is fantastic, even if it does lead to the problem where the NPCs feel pretty interchangeable. There are so many possible builds you can make for yourself, so many neat combinations to try. Much more fun than the system in the original XC, to me at least.

That's just too much busywork. I do like having lots of options but XCX makes them annoying to explore.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

multijoe posted:

It was kind of remarkable how they took functionality out of the UI from Xenoblade Chronicles. You used to be able to press - on the equip screen to highlight stats and see a description of their function, for X they made the stat system twice as complicated and also removed that function.

Taear posted:

That's just too much busywork. I do like having lots of options but XCX makes them annoying to explore.

Yeah, I really like the exploration aspects and finding weird creature behavior and the goofiness of the side quests but god drat the equipment and crafting system is just terribly done. At least I've gotten some good skill combos down.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I haven't played the original Xenoblade, but I played a lot of X. I ended up dropping it shortly before getting a Skell (still like 30 or 40 hours of gameplay) just because it got repetitive and I had other things I wanted to play. It's not a bad game, but it is a really, really weird one. I totally get why some people would really like it, I haven't played a ton of JRPGs that are very similar, but I also don't know who I'd recommend it to. It's a very odd experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
^I'd recommend it to broke brain old PSO fans and people who run around games doing quests just for the lore bits (not a slam here I'm... describing me, I love this game)

I actually like augments but lol @ customizing my entire team's movesets no thanks

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 25, 2016

• Locked thread