Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Booyah- posted:

wow the sfv thread turned to poo poo and it wasnt my fault (directly)

Hmm, I wonder if there's any correlation between SFV and things turning to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

One day everyone will finally come around to the 3S is da best hegemony

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

brian posted:

One day everyone will finally come around to the 3S is da best hegemony

It's funny, because I swear there's a correlation between liking 3S and at least being entertained by V, even outside of the usual big-name Capcom crew. A bunch of dudes that love 3S around here are way more into the game than the people grinding 4 or that tried to come in from other games. I think it's because of what Xian said, the predictive footsies.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Reiley posted:

Get that guy on the phone, I've got a suggestion for him :o)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIIrCOIaOjY

some shlub on the smash forums posted:

Sorry for this little rant post, but I've found Ryu to be straight up OP from day 1. And I still stand by that. And after playing today, I felt I just had to share my own thoughts on him.

I just ask this: What are his cons? He has a projectile, a good projectile, for spacing and approaching. He is crazy powerful (His Fair does 15 damage, and his Bair does 16! Like.....what?!). He can cover lots of options because of his ability to have 2 different tilts and 2 different jabs. I've seen some people saying his recovery is as bad as Little Mac's.... huh? His Up B is for starters a lot higher than Mac's, even though this one too have very little horizontal movement. Still, he has his Side B, and his Focus Punch that he can cancel and get momentum, plus that his Focus Punch gives him a 1-hit super armor that makes it a bit safer to recover, too. He has a Spike. He has a power-version of each Special, except for his Focus Punch, that don't have any downsides compared to the regular specials. They are just straight up more powerful versions, that's it. And I'm looking at you, Shoryuken. That move.... what were they THINKING? For example, I was playing as Ganondorf against Ryu today, and Ganon is one of the heaviest in the game. His power-Shoryuken killed Ganon at UNDER 90%... WHAT? And the thing is, it doesn't have a lot of cooldown or anything, even though it is punishable, sure. It comes out extremely fast, and he flies upwards very fast, so it's not the easiest move to punish. It even doesn't have more cooldown than his regular Up B, which I find stupid. There's really no reason to use his normal Up B if you know how to use the power version of it. His Side B is excellent for punishing rollers or punishing other moves, like Ganon's Wizard's Kick or missed Flame Choke. His Strong Side Tilt is a very, very good Shield Breaker move. He has very little landing lag on areals.

I mean - What the heck are his cons? He is so good in every way, he can basically do everything. There's nothing he lacks.

Then, I come to my final point that really made me just... depressed. Not mad, didn't rage, I just shut down the game and got sad. I'm talking about his infinite Up Tilt. I was using Ganon, and he isn't the biggest in the game (like DK, Bowser etc), even though he is big. But still, if he just landed 1 weak up tilt, I was doomed. He would drag me across the stage with it, lock me, and I couldn't do ANYTHING. I tried DI-ing, Nair-ing, anything. Nothing worked, because I was still in hitstun when he landed the next one, and he could easily just follow me around the stage, so DI-ing was pretty much useless. As we got to the edge, the damage was racked up, and he could easily jump up and land his meteor Down Air. That's when I quit.

Someone, please explain to me what Ryu's deal is. There's nothing he's NOT good at. He's extremly powerful, both air and ground, has a decent enough recovery to be this good, has a good projectile, has a shield break, a disgusting KO move in form of his power-Shoryuken, his Focus Punch, his Up Tilt Lock that's impossible to escape, lagless areals... yeah. Please explain to me.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
At least we'll be able to tell our grandchildren we were there when the SF series definitively died

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

At least we'll be able to tell our grandchildren we were there when the SF series definitively died

you were at the launch of street fighter 3 a new generation??

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Reiley Was Right™. Ryu is so goddamn fun in smash.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Dias posted:

It's funny, because I swear there's a correlation between liking 3S and at least being entertained by V, even outside of the usual big-name Capcom crew. A bunch of dudes that love 3S around here are way more into the game than the people grinding 4 or that tried to come in from other games. I think it's because of what Xian said, the predictive footsies.

I know of about 3 good 3s players in europe who play sfv and none of them particularly seriously so I haven't seen similar, it's like when jibbo got into sfxt and everyone said 3s players love that. I have no idea how arjarath and co feel, I thought he stopped playing in general and 3s kinda died for a bit so I guess sfv makes sense but I barely know brazillian 3s

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Pre-emptive buttons are good in this game because pretty much every mid/long range button puts out a hurtbox before a hitbox, and the hurtbox is much bigger than the hitbox. The opposite is true of 'short' range buttons, mostly jabs and medium punches, which don't extend the hurtbox until the first active frame, and the hitbox is often bigger than the hurtbox.

This is true of SOME buttons in Third Strike like Urien low forward but the majority of Good Long Pokes don't do this. Chun fierce, low forward, Dudley fierce and toward fierce, shoto low forward and sweep, all don't put out extended hurtboxes before they're active. The reason is because they're designed to be whiff punishable, so they can be good in other ways. The risk is whiffing them (or being parried), not them just losing to a jab from halfscreen.

SF5 isn't a game where you're meant to whiff punish, so the buttons are made Worse because otherwise they'd be Too Good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they should make every character absurdly powerful imo

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
https://twitter.com/OlafRedland/status/779455453646290944

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Real hurthling! posted:

they should make every character absurdly powerful imo

They did that already, it was called MvC1.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

the booger doesnt travel it just mysteriously appears. magic booger.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I can't fault the game for making the booger the most durable projectile, it owns imo.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Capcom is literally turning their game into a virus and people are still defending.

A little piece of comedy.

The threads a mess, but its because deep down there's still hope they won't gently caress up.

But they did.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 24, 2016

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

SectumSempra posted:

Capcom is literally turning their game into a virus and people are still defending.

They also literally un-turned it into a virus. I know melodrama is fun, but it does get boring after a while.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
ono is mining bitcoins on your pc but thats why pencils have erasers

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CaptCommy posted:

They also literally un-turned it into a virus. I know melodrama is fun, but it does get boring after a while.

i'd like to hope that whoever in management approved the rootkit would be fired but i doubt it

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

CaptCommy posted:

Yeah, unfortunately you need to update, restart, and then remove Capcom.sys from System32. It's obnoxious, but there might not be a way for Steam to handle uninstalling from that directory anyways.

You literally yourself have verified that the update didn't delete everything.

But alright man, melodrama.

No need to say anything else. Sf5 is fine, and everyone who has problems with how capcom has handled the release and support of sf5 is stupid and dumb.
Not even saying a word about gameplay.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Urien has the highest 1 bar CC damage in the game to my knowledge, although its only really practical in the dp punish situation as it involves the full charge st hp.

(hold)st.hp, full charge lp+mp ex fireball, lk shoulder, lp~mp tc, hk shoulder - 380 damage.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

CaptCommy posted:

yeah guys they only rooted your pc for a minute it's ok. you're just complaining to complain at this point.

(the update doesn't remove the file also)

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Zand posted:

yeah guys they only rooted your pc for a minute it's ok. you're just complaining to complain at this point.

(the update doesn't remove the file also)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

lmao

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
https://twitter.com/Bill307_ca/status/779492931799429120

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Same

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I hate Alex. SO goddamn much. this guys really is a monster in every way. I wish there was a guide online on how to annihilate that character and anyone who plays him.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

I hate Alex. SO goddamn much. this guys really is a monster in every way. I wish there was a guide online on how to annihilate that character and anyone who plays him.

what do you have trouble with

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I need you guys help, there's a guy who I know who is an expert with Alex, Alex in my opinion is a completely overpowered sack of poo poo who I HATE with every bone in my body, he has incredible combos, reach that's really hard to escape, jump grabs, and he can pretty much stun me on command. I have to beat him, There characters I know how to use are Karin, R. Mika, Ryu and Ken, Juri recently has captured my interest. I will use any character if it will mean destroying him. I need a definitive guide on how to beat Alex and all his weaknesses.
Also, I hate Alex.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Buhbuhj posted:

I need you guys help, there's a guy who I know who is an expert with Alex, Alex in my opinion is a completely overpowered sack of poo poo who I HATE with every bone in my body, he has incredible combos, reach that's really hard to escape, jump grabs, and he can pretty much stun me on command. I have to beat him, There characters I know how to use are Karin, R. Mika, Ryu and Ken, Juri recently has captured my interest. I will use any character if it will mean destroying him. I need a definitive guide on how to beat Alex and all his weaknesses.
Also, I hate Alex.

wow source your quotes scrub

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

what do you have trouble with

I posted about this before, but he's insanely OP. If I play conservatively, he can flip halfway accross the arena and grab me mid air if I try to escape, he has lots of moves that break block and it's incredibly hard to escape his pressure when I get cornered.

If I try attacking, holy poo poo there's no end of ways he can annihalate and punish me, his wind swipes, his stun-on-commands his goddamn mid air grabs, it's unbelievable. so I cant keep my distance OR pile the pressure on him without eating poo poo. I cant escape his pressure and it's impossible to escape him on wakeup. Also it doesnt help that the guy I'm playing against is really good.

Also, I play Karin, Ryu, and I'm thinking of trying Juri.

I know I talked about this before, I'm just venting my anger lol.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Neutral jump at mid-screen, you will gently caress the alex player if they're using stomps, headbutt or elbow to get in, just do your biggest jump-in combo on the way down. If the Alex player dashes in after SPD then you have a free punish, just jab into whatever. To punish elbow with ryu, just do standing lk into tatsu, even if it's spaced just outside of lk range, only the lk will come out. Non-ex stomp is negative so it's your turn, ex stomp is + so they will usually hit jab or dash in SPD if they recognise you respecting that it's +. The biggest thing you need to remember is that Alex's defence is terrible, he has nothing to get people off him except for his v-reversal (which is pretty slow). If you get a knockdown, go in like the US Marshals. Other than that it's hard to say much else without seeing the alex player.

Alex is one of the better DLC characters but I feel like he has an uphill battle against the better characters (like a lot of characters really).

rednecked_crake fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 24, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i don't understand why alex has more special moves than like 3 other dlc characters combined.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

i don't understand why alex has more special moves than like 3 other dlc characters combined.

Guile doesn't count. He's always been about Sonic Boom, Flash Kick, and his buttons.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Neutral jump at mid-screen,

It's really sad how well this works in SFV at shutting down the offenses of most of the characters in the game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shiki Dan posted:

It's really sad how well this works in SFV at shutting down the offenses of most of the characters in the game.

ryu jumping light punch or kick against a jumping opponent is like an unstoppable salt factory

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You guys are just bad at SFV. The game is perfect.
Stop complaining just because you can't win.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

brian posted:

I know of about 3 good 3s players in europe who play sfv and none of them particularly seriously so I haven't seen similar, it's like when jibbo got into sfxt and everyone said 3s players love that. I have no idea how arjarath and co feel, I thought he stopped playing in general and 3s kinda died for a bit so I guess sfv makes sense but I barely know brazillian 3s

Weird. I dunno, the people I know that are into this game were always 3S and A3 fans - not necessarily GOOD at 3S, mind you, but at least they play it. I can't tell you why that's a thing I've noticed, maybe it's just people that hated 4's systems.

Also, most people I know that were "system" players in 4 aren't super happy about V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

lol goddamn nice clipping