Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

IMJack posted:

She upheld her vows and kept her virtue for her King, such was the depth of her faith...

Almost perfect, but needs one white sparkle-glove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

IMJack posted:

She upheld her vows and kept her virtue for her King, such was the depth of her faith...

Elusive, evasive, persistent. Righteous traits for a smooth criminal

NeverAfter
Apr 20, 2016

Highwang posted:

Swine Prince & Wilbur
-snip-

It also bears mentioning that the Occultist's damage debuff also completely trivializes the fight, since the king is the only one doing damage, and if you stack the debuff he'll only be doing 10-40% damage.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

NeverAfter posted:

It also bears mentioning that the Occultist's damage debuff also completely trivializes the fight, since the king is the only one doing damage, and if you stack the debuff he'll only be doing 10-40% damage.

Added

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Okay now we just need the entire cast as Moonwalker.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Send it to the narrator dude, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind recording a few joke lines.

He did the "Truly, this is the dankest dungeon" one, after all.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

KozmoNaut posted:

Send it to the narrator dude, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind recording a few joke lines.

He did the "Truly, this is the dankest dungeon" one, after all.
I just listened to all of that sound pack, and I could definitely see him doing this.

quote:

Praise the sub!

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So my swine king fight I brought two highwaymen with duelist advance and point blank shot. I had riposte and then wilbur marked them. They shredded the little piggy. After that it was hot gunfire, screaming, tears, and ripostes as the battle almost played itself out. Surpisingly little stuns happened.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

NeverAfter posted:

keep in mind that the marked status grants him +100% damage, so in order to truly nullify his damage you need two occultists to stack over -200% damage on him.

With only one, all you do is bring his damage from "hits like a loving truck going downhill" to "hits like a sports car at high speed".

A single Weakening Curse is useful in a couple boss fights, but not the ones we've seen yet.

Halser fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 22, 2016

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
It's real cool how Medium ramps up the difficulty from "hey this game is alright" to "go gently caress yourself, you've missed every diceroll and now Dismas is dead from the literal last monster in the dungeon.

gently caress this game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

It's real cool how Medium ramps up the difficulty from "hey this game is alright" to "go gently caress yourself, you've missed every diceroll and now Dismas is dead from the literal last monster in the dungeon.

gently caress this game.

Uh, Medium's still pretty easy dude. I wouldn't say it even gets remotely hard until Champion, and even then that quickly becomes pretty rote.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Genocyber posted:

Uh, Medium's still pretty easy dude. I wouldn't say it even gets remotely hard until Champion, and even then that quickly becomes pretty rote.

It'll hit you pretty hard the first time you saunter in there, though. Partly because there's a bunch of new enemies in Veteran dungeons and so the strategies you've worked out might not apply yet, so some bad luck early can hurt.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
It hits hard literally every time I hit medium. I've beaten this game twice and I still am infuriated by what seems like an artificially high bump from apprentice to medium that usually ends up killing someone in my party literally every time I set out.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

One thing that really surprised me is that Short dungeons are harder than Medium dungeons, simply because of how powerful camping skills can be.
Also the second cove boss can eat my rear end, what an irritating gimmick.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update- Episode 17: An Actual Dark Run

Trying to mix things up as I unlock more bosses, though this episode in particular was a pain. OBS recording as FLV, Adobe Premiere not liking FLVs, One of the unwrapped videos having desynched audio, Premiere dropping the editing data forcing me to re-edit them. I don't know what the hell happened but this vid's out the gate at least.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Is there no way you can upgrade your inventory?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Sadly not as far as I know. Which is kind of a shame. Stack-size improvements could be an interesting town upgrade option.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Tylana posted:

Sadly not as far as I know. Which is kind of a shame. Stack-size improvements could be an interesting town upgrade option.

Trinkets
Magic Bag
+10% Stack Size (Extra Dimensional Space)

Bag of Holding
+25% Stack Size (Extra Dimensional Space)
+20% Party Stress (Things Lurk Behind The Curtain)

Now I'm trying to decide of +25% is too OP even with the 20% Stress Boost. Like, pair that with an Antiquarian and a Jester for Stress Healing and you'd bring back a metric gently caress-ton of loot with minimal risk of heart-attacks.

Maybe it guarantees the appearance of a collector?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Might make for an interesting Quirk.

Backpacker: +20% stack size for Provisions.
Smuggler: +10% stack size for Heirlooms and treasure.
Disorganized: -10% stack size.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Given that the thread's begun to delve into the creative madness that is Trinket Creation, I suggest you all take a look at the list of backer-created Trinkets.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10QFi-xGfD5Si6843F8hkPzDwJxUVZCnFUWLBMD2H05Q/edit#gid=0

Of course, the list doesn't add their details so you'll have to check them manually in the game by going to the trinket inventory, hitting enter, then typing the name of the trinket. I'll quote you some of my early favorites to get you all started.

Scribbleykins posted:

I just got done checking the backer trinkets and a fair few of them are indeed broken to some degree or another, mostly due to 'clever' applications of rank or situation-based downsides that seldom or never apply.

Mine, on the other hand... really isn't.

You're probably going to need that DB Resist and +Virtue chance in order to survive getting that pitiful amount of extra Resolve. Darkest Dungeon, folks! :getin:

As for my favorites so far, either thematically or statwise, here they are:

Truth
+7 ACC
+10% stress damage vs Eldritch

It helps you see better!

...Oh god, it helps you see better. :gonk:

The Rolled Bones
+3% crit at Death's Door
+3% crit if HP below 25%
+3% crit if torch below 26
-5 ACC

How willing are you to dance on the edge of oblivion with a downgrade in ACC just for that sweet extra +9% Crit? Roll them bones, and see how long you last.

The Phalanx
+6% Prot in Pos 1
+10% Move resist in Pos 1
+10% Stun resist in Pos 1
-4 SPD
-6 DODGE

Staying power at the front, in exchange for surer punishment.

The Cthonian Texts
-10% stress dmg if torch below 26
+10% blight resist if torch below 26
+10% Heal Skills
+10% stress dmg if torch above 75
-10% blight resist if torch above 75

You don't really want to be able to read these tattered manuscripts...

The Bloodied Shroud
+13% DMG if HP below 25%
+8 DODGE if HP below 25%
-13% Heals Received

Interesting synergy; you get less healing, so it's easier to fall below the health threshold that activates the rather significant bonuses.

Reaper's Hourglass
+5 SPD if HP above 75 %
+8 DODGE if HP above 75 %
+5% Crit if HP above 75 %
-4 SPD if HP below 26 %
-6 DODGE if HP below 26 %
-5 ACC if HP below 26 %

This trinket seems to encourage overconfidence...

Necronomicon
+13% Heal Skills
+13% Heal Skills
+4 SPD
-16% Resolve XP
-16% Resolve XP
-16% Resolve XP

... I can see some interesting applications for this one, such as by stalling a prime healer's ascent, and allowing them to accompany more groups of green adventurers on missions.

Moirai bones

+6% Crit on First Round
+15% DMG after First Round
-5 ACC on First Round
-4% Crit after First Round

Nice and well-balanced trinket; gives you a high crit chance at ACC cost for the first round (when critting someone to death would have high value) and high damage at crit cost for the subsequent rounds.

Lewd Vial
+6 ACC while Camping
+5 SPD while Camping
-13% stress resist while Camping
-6% Prot while Camping
-10% Disease Resist while Camping
-10% Trap Disarm while Camping

Well, it had to happen at least once. :rolleyes:

Headhunter's Herbs

+6 ACC vs Marked
+13% DMG vs Marked
+6% Crit vs Marked
-10% Max HP
-13% Heals Received
-10% Stun Resist

A really nice marking upgrade at a cheap, but potentially significant, price.

Forlorn Memento
+6% Prot if torch below 26
+10% DMG if torch below 26
-10% Stress Dmg if torch below 26
-10% Move Resist
-6 % Death Blow Resist

A touch of strength and comfort in the dark; at the cost of easing one's passing (around).

Final Memento
+9% Death Blow Resist
-8% Virtue Chance

The desperate cannot afford death.

De Vermis Mysteriis
-20% stress resist vs Eldritch
-6 DODGE vs Eldritch

Armed with knowledge, overconfidence abounds.

Coward's Crutch
+8 DODGE if in Pos 4
+5 SPD if in Pos 4
-6 DODGE if in Pos 1

A trinket with no real disadvantage, so the name sure fits.

Concealed Dagger
+3 SPD on First Round
+3% Crit on First Round
+5 % DMG
-6% Prot

A little somethin' extra up the sleeve.

RickVoid posted:

Trinkets
Magic Bag

Bag of Holding

Now I'm trying to decide of +25% is too OP even with the 20% Stress Boost. Like, pair that with an Antiquarian and a Jester for Stress Healing and you'd bring back a metric gently caress-ton of loot with minimal risk of heart-attacks.

If carrying the extra-dimensional space trinket doesn't at least have a slight random chance of eating/getting a party member lost in time and space for a week or two between one dungeon screen and another, leaving you with just 3 members to complete the dungeon (or retreat in shame), I would be sorely disappointed. At least having an Antiquarian along means you must have an Antiquarian along instead of someone more useful. :colbert:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The bag would be fine if it was antiquarian only, I think.
Also, i'm consistently getting a few people watching me play whenever I do play. It's pretty odd, but DD is pretty fun to watch.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
There's the Cudgel Weight. That accessory lets the Houndmaster chump several early bosses with ease. He can also stun lock the Collector for a turn or two if you get lucky and go before him and he can at least stall the other mini boss for a turn and let your team rev up and kill it.

Also the Maggots have a 100% stun resistance so they might be able to resist it at base level. Then again, you just can kill them easily so moot point.

Edit: In regards to the Jester relic chat at the end, the Jester has a few common/uncommon accessories without any downsides, and give boosts to crit/dodge/hit. These are nice if you get them in the early game since it boosts useful stats on a Jester and also doesn't make them any weaker.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 23, 2016

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Lewd Vial should recover stress from camping.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The two Cove bosses have <100% stun resist so if you stack enough stun boosts you could reliably stun them every 2 rounds. Possibly worthwhile strategy.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Stunlocking the Collector enough that he never shows his collection is satisfying.

Apparently the PS4 and PSVita versions of DD are out soon (27th) . Though what I'd really like myself is probably a 3DS port. Just feels like a splitscreen game to me.

And as a third point, watching videos of Darkest Dungeon and pausing for other reasons showed me something weird. At least some monsters appear by growing from a tiny sprite in their position, allowing for weird frames where there are tiny six inch high undead thralls.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Tylana posted:

Stunlocking the Collector enough that he never shows his collection is satisfying.

Apparently the PS4 and PSVita versions of DD are out soon (27th) . Though what I'd really like myself is probably a 3DS port. Just feels like a splitscreen game to me.

And as a third point, watching videos of Darkest Dungeon and pausing for other reasons showed me something weird. At least some monsters appear by growing from a tiny sprite in their position, allowing for weird frames where there are tiny six inch high undead thralls.

yeah, that's how they get the "BOO WE'RE HERE NOW" effect.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RickVoid posted:

Trinkets
Magic Bag

Bag of Holding

Just make it an item you use and that's it.

Anything to lessen the grind towards the endgame.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Is using the kickstarter trinkets considered cheating? Can you just find them lying around?

And of course I get stuck reading all the books on the dark run.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Is using the kickstarter trinkets considered cheating? Can you just find them lying around?

And of course I get stuck reading all the books on the dark run.

Depends on your point of view, really. Some of the trinkets are nigh useless and very situational compared to actual good in-game trinkets, while others are more cheat-y in that they have no real disadvantages and/or can be used in ways that might be considered game-breaking. If you consider using those cheating or detrimental to the game's balance and your enjoyment of the game, then just don't use 'em. If you want to experiment with a bunch of mixed bag trinkets that won't ever drop normally and were made by a bunch of this game's first supporters, then carry on. The way to get them is to go into your trinket inventory, press enter and then enter the trinket's name.

Also: Never read books on a dark run. Unless you're topped to the gills with +Virtue trinkets and want to gamble. Then read all the books.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Makes me wonder if enough +Virtue might make burning books useful.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
It caps at 60% chance, which you can get from tentacle idol + hero's ring. As to whether it's worth it, not in my opinion.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

It can be hilarious though... and the buffs, so many buffs.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

AtomikKrab posted:

It can be hilarious though... and the buffs, so many buffs.

I come from the X-COM school of "98% chance to hit, 100% chance to miss". I ain't betting on a 60%.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Halser posted:

I come from the X-COM school of "98% chance to hit, 100% chance to miss". I ain't betting on a 60%.

If you're not quite that level of picky, though, you can have fun popping +Virtue trinkets on people, not care about their stress and then watch things suddenly go spectacularly in your favor. One of my +Virtue specific combos is 1 jester and 3 abominations, because with the Jester's stress heal and the abomination's self stress heal, you can with a little effort work yourself back out of afflictions (factoid: afflictions disappear mid-dungeon if stress is ever reduced to 0). The abominations are tough and can self-heal a tiny bit, so the chief trouble is keeping the Jester healthy... and that's what +dodge trinkets, camping and consumables are for.

2 or 3 Virtue'd abominations are a sight, I tell you. A glorious, slavering sight. :allears:

e: There was a spoilered thing here. Now there isn't even that.

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 25, 2016

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Scribbleykins posted:

If you're not quite that level of picky, though, you can have fun popping +Virtue trinkets on people, not care about their stress and then watch things suddenly go spectacularly in your favor. One of my +Virtue specific combos is 1 jester and 3 abominations, because with the Jester's stress heal and the abomination's self stress heal, you can with a little effort work yourself back out of afflictions (factoid: afflictions disappear mid-dungeon if stress is ever reduced to 0). The abominations are tough and can self-heal a tiny bit, so the chief trouble is keeping the Jester healthy... and that's what +dodge trinkets, camping and consumables are for.

2 or 3 Virtue'd abominations are a sight, I tell you. A glorious, slavering sight. :allears:

THE ONE RULE MAN.

as a matter of fact, if you like rolling the dice on virtue, certain curio interactions like the bas relief+shovel in the Cove exist specifically to give a hero a boatload of stress to force a resolve check.

This might be more useful if you have a worthless antiquarian. Give her two resolve trinkets and just shuffle them around as stress goes up. It's not like she'll get much use out of other trinkets anyway.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Only gotten to page 20 or so but here's my suggestions for that mod

Rekt should be replaced by 'HOLY $#!&' works with Heals, too

Riposte 'Come at me, bro!'

Marked 'Oh $#!&...'

Lunge for the Marked 'Oh $#!& Is Right!'

Death's Door 'Don't #%*& Up'

Deathblow 'You #%*&ed Up!'

Disease/Blight/Bleed Resist is 'Denied/No Way/Nah' More variety than 'nah'

The Party Roster area where you put people into go to dungeons, 'Place Victims Here'

Personally, I'm one of those weird people that finds the symbol censored curse words funnier than the curse words themselves.

Also: Blanket Fire - More Dakka or This Is My Boomstick!

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 26, 2016

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update- Episode 18: RNG Made Flesh

Alternate title: Whatever that norwegian(I DONT KNOW LANGUAGE!) dude said at the beginning of The Thing.

Also, I've been slacking on info-posts due to being a lazy gently caress. That will be changed this week.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 26, 2016

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Yes, you could sacrifice your firewood at that alter. I remember that. I tried to do that one of my first runs when I started back up and was not thrilled that I couldn't.

Note for that Flesh fight, the Houndmaster is doing the same damage as the Plague Doctor is, with the potential for more. The PD is doing 0-1 damage initially and then puts a 5 damage DoT on two parts. The Hounds Harry does 1-4 damage depending on the part hit to four targets, and can bleed all four 4 parts for 2 damage each. The PD can stack blights boosters more than the HM can stack bleeds, but the damage should even out over time.

Long and short of it? Who cares, bring both of them because they destroy this fight. Highwang didn't see the heart save for the first round in this fight, so DoT was the way to take this boss down. If the heart had shown up more, Skippy the Leper would've obliterated it. This boss is one of my favorites since he's very distinctive, can ruin you even on a good day, and is one of the few fights that really feels like a 4v4.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 26, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

wait, about that sacrificial stone curio, in my notes it's

quote:

50% stress + 50
25% purge one negative Quirk
12,5% random positive Quirk
12,5% random negative Quirk

Have I been misinformed?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The guy at the start of the Thing was Norwegian!

Alternatively, you could say this creature was reminiscent of 'Society'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

New Update- Episode 18: RNG Made Flesh posted:

so when the butt comes in with its rear end snake

just gonna let this snippet stand for itself

• Locked thread