Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

I started listening to the Death of WCW audiobook, and is it just me or is it really not that....good? Like, it's great stories, but it's just written kinda...eh. They tell the Madusa trash can story twice in a short amount of time, and jump back and forth between time frames.

It's not good. I think I posted about it before, but it's all over the loving place and glosses over some really important stuff. Like I don't think they bring up Pillman's worked shoots until the final quarter of the book. Bischoff's obsession with working the boys played such a large role in the downfall of the company, and the Pillman story both key and really interesting but I think it gets, like, two paragraphs? It's insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Over/Under on Final Deletion characters making Top 10 vote getters in "Best Non Wrestler": 2.5

I'll take the over and say Senor Benjamin wins the category, and King Maxel and Vanguard-1 place in the top 10.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Capsaicin posted:

I started listening to the Death of WCW audiobook, and is it just me or is it really not that....good? Like, it's great stories, but it's just written kinda...eh. They tell the Madusa trash can story twice in a short amount of time, and jump back and forth between time frames.

It's honestly an issue with how Bryan has to read everything as it appears in the book in order, whether or not it was originally meant as an aside that the reader could read if they wanted and not miss anything in the narrative.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

It's on his latest unleashed show on podcastone. There's also a great bit where he just gleefully derides the concept of a Team Lunch, as well as a nice callback to his earlier mocking of Life Coaches when his guest says something profoundly stupid and Austin offers to be HIS life coach.

"Teddy, let me be your Life Coach. Lesson one: If you ask a bunch of married men where to find hookers they're gonna give you strange looks."

Wait, did Steve Austin have Teddy Hart on his podcast because that's the kind of thing I wanna hear

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, it's a book that wasn't written with audio in mind, as it has a ton of sidebars. Any point where Bryan seems to suddenly jump to contemporary WWE or do the 'Lesson Not Learned!' stuff is material that was likely a sidebar in the print book, and not an actual part of the main body of the chapter. The part where they list off the varioues incarnations of the NWO jumps out as a particularly egregious example.

I liked the audiobook, but part of that is having read the print version 3 or 4 times over the last decade and also having a sort of affection for Bryan's voice, especially once he settles in and starts sounding like himself. The part leading into the Russo title win was the best with his delivery. "Now, you laugh. Soon.... you will CRY!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Wait, did Steve Austin have Teddy Hart on his podcast because that's the kind of thing I wanna hear

Sadly not, it was his buddy Ted Fowler.

Teddy Hart would be an hour and a half of that one bit from the Paige interview where she's laughingly telling stories of her childhood while he sits there going :stare:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

exploding mummy posted:

It's honestly an issue with how Bryan has to read everything as it appears in the book in order, whether or not it was originally meant as an aside that the reader could read if they wanted and not miss anything in the narrative.

It's not so much the sidebar sounding stuff; it's the repeating things multiple times. Like, in 20 minutes I heard twice about how Giant debuted and was being booked as Son of Andre.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

As much as I love the original (still need to check out the updated version), I absolutely agree it doesn't seem like something that should have ever had an audio edition

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I wasn't sure if it was just me or not. I've been listening through the death of WCW too and I've found it really boring. I've listened to Bryan talk a lot over the years but I find it really dry. Maybe I already know most of the material by now. I've listened to a lot of wrestling podcasts since reading the first edition.

Kind of in a similar tone, I noticed that the BIll Apter's autobiography is on audible. Has anyone listened to it? I was thinking about getting it.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
I think the best way to do sidebars is the way the Daily Show did their books. Since a lot of the time the sidebars were done by other correspondents, they would change the music and have that particular person speak it before moving on to the next section. It made it rather seamless and let people enjoy those asides without it being jarring.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i enjoyed the death of wcw audio book as something to listen to while doing other things but the sidebars being read like any other paragraph is definitely awkward and it doesn't help that a lot of the book isn't that well written to begin with. it's largely just a collection of facts and stories with little cohesiveness, which works fine as a coffee table "pick up and read" thing, but less so as something to listen to continuously for hours at a time.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like the simple things in life.

Like Dave marking out to New Japan while talking to Bryan.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Dave blocked me for quote-tweeting his mark N-word tweet lol

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

Luigi Thirty posted:

Dave blocked me for quote-tweeting his mark N-word tweet lol

Dave never used to block. He's obviously Mad Online at this point.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
called it

https://twitter.com/polwres/status/779758391396884484

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LordPants posted:

I like the simple things in life.

Like Dave marking out to New Japan while talking to Bryan.

"I wasn't supposed to watch anything tonight, I'm currently watching two shows simultaneously."

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

I still love how there's a bunch of people with nothing better to do than troll Dave on twitter.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This is kinda outta nowhere but after listening to a large number of Dragon King Dark's backlog I just had to track this down for my own sanity. Does anybody know what the "I'm just wondering about public reaction" quote is from?

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
Using this as an opportunity to remind y'all that Karl Stern's shows are the best of the WON shows by a large margin.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BlueArmyMan posted:

Using this as an opportunity to remind y'all that Karl Stern's shows are the best of the WON shows by a large margin.

It took me a little while to get into them, but yeah they're really great and Karl truly is a National Treasure.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

bryan alvarez thought that TJ Perkins' "max health" was a sponsor

jesus christ bryan

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

BlueArmyMan posted:

Karl is a gem but I will forever have a soft spot for Sin Limite

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Chris James 2 posted:

Karl is a gem but I will forever have a soft spot for Sin Limite

Okay, best shows of the regular contributors.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

beggar posted:

I also am using my one month Audible trial on this, and I found speeding it up to 1.25x made it more listenable. At 1x it just sounded *too* much like Tobias Funke reading out loud.

Oh my God

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
So Dave Meltzer and Debbie Malenko.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Popped for Dave's fax going off

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

St Evan Echoes posted:

Popped for Dave's fax going off

Gotta get those results hot in from Japan!

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Who hasn't Dave hosed at this point? Besides Manami Toyota of course

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Ostentatious posted:

bryan alvarez thought that TJ Perkins' "max health" was a sponsor

jesus christ bryan
Also, Vinnie thinking "The Midnight Hour" was a new name for what their finisher. The hell? Do they take blows to the head after every podcast?

That, and Vinnie taking time out to point out Roman's smile after getting the US Championship handed to him. Is he gay for Roman? That would explain him being such a mark for him.

AMReese fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 26, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NienNunb posted:

Who hasn't Dave hosed at this point? Besides Manami Toyota of course

Rovert?

Speaking of, Becky Lynch was on Cheap Heat and took an open-ended question to speak very highly of Charlotte, so I imagine he won't use every opportunity to make sure we're aware he doesn't like her anymore.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

The most offensive thing about the podcast was Bryan joking that, because ROBERTO loving CLEMENTE was featured, when is he going to get a spot?

What an idiot. He also thinks that Hispanic Heritage Month ends when September ends, and not October 15th. Boy, he sure is proud of his heritage.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i'm gay for roman, and becky

edit: also I don't know who roberto clemente is

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Kids these days. Put it this way, he's the Jackie Robinson for Hispanics.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AMReese posted:

Also, Vinnie thinking "The Midnight Hour" was a new name for what their finisher. The hell? Do they take blows to the head after every podcast?

That, and Vinnie taking time out to point out Roman's smile after getting the US Championship handed to him. Is he gay for Roman? That would explain him being such a mark for him.

That's something Cole said in the PPV. I remember people in the thread wondering if Cole just invents names for things.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

AMReese posted:

You're terrible

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

AMReese posted:

Maybe he is a fan of a great worker.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I love this bar

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

AMReese posted:

It's a beautiful smile coming from a beautiful man.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Aren't we all 'gay for Roman' at one point or another?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Nobody's gay for Roman :smith:

• Locked thread