Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The 3D was never required on any of the 3DS games, but that was a deliberate decision to make sure that if you can't use the 3D for whatever reason, the game would still be playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Torquemadras posted:

I've got one question (even though I'm definitely gonna buy this Paper Mario too, weak-willed and spineless as I am). Do they still do the "puzzle" boss fights?

In the 3DS Paper Mario, many bosses were absurdly hard and a terrifyingly boring slog to fight - unless you used one of several Thing stickers, which immediately turned the fight into a joke. So basically: terrible boss fights when not using the Thing stickers, easy non-fights if you did. On top of that, even if you did have the correct Thing, the moments where the game allows them to actually work on the enemy were somewhat arbritrary, leading to several moments where you just waste an otherwise correct item because NOPE gently caress YOU. Also, before fighting the boss, there was usually no indication whatsoever of which Things were required, which was kinda frustrating as well (although you could run from bosses, if I remember correctly).

That's the biggest issue I had with Sticker Star. I could rest easy if I knew they addressed THAT particular brainfart on the designer's part...

I noticed a few areas where Things were used to give an easier advantage in a boss battle, so I don't think that's going away anytime soon. I'm also hoping it isn't as necessary as the last game, but what footage there is of the game tells me otherwise

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I hate the way Nintendo works sometimes. This thing is coming out in March and we still know basically nothing about it. In 2016 the rumor mill can get out of hand, and people can overhype things to absurdity, but I would hope that six months before a major Hardware release we have actual news about what the thing actually is.

I didn't buy a wiiu but I'm pretty interested in the NX if turns out to be a nice piece of hardware.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I mean, I'm buying an NX because I'm pretty sure there'll be a Mario game that I can't play without one, but it'd be nice to know what I'm getting myself into.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I know I tend to poo poo on Nintendo out of love, but seriously the fact that we're approaching October and we dont even have a date for the loving announcement of the thing 6 months away from release is loving insane.

also people appear to be pleasantly surprised by Color Splash, looking forward to it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Gameko posted:

I hate the way Nintendo works sometimes. This thing is coming out in March and we still know basically nothing about it. In 2016 the rumor mill can get out of hand, and people can overhype things to absurdity, but I would hope that six months before a major Hardware release we have actual news about what the thing actually is.

I didn't buy a wiiu but I'm pretty interested in the NX if turns out to be a nice piece of hardware.

This isn't really how they work, this is brand new uncharted behavior. Soaking of uncharted behavior do you think the NX will be able to use PlayStation Now?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The Nintendo NX: If It Plays Smash, You Have My Cash

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Reiley posted:

The Nintendo NX: You Have My Cash

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
You know what game needs a sequel on the NX? Beetle Adventure Racing.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

BillmasterCozb posted:

i just want a phone app that, if you scan the top of a Pizza Hutt box, waluigi appears and dances on-stage for you

This is just a mock up of the concept until we can get the quality of the Waluigi assets we'd need for such an endeavor.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I noticed a few areas where Things were used to give an easier advantage in a boss battle, so I don't think that's going away anytime soon. I'm also hoping it isn't as necessary as the last game, but what footage there is of the game tells me otherwise

Yeah, that's why I was asking... From what I could glean from the trailers, the shown boss fights are just flat-out impossible without using the proper Thing card (Morton's flame hammer does ~40 damage or so, the dude with the chariot dodges everything). Which would be pretty drat disappointing, if that's how they all work.
Ideally, there's the Thing gimmick, but 1) it does not pretty much win the battle for you, and 2) you COULD totally win without it, if you want a challenge. I actually did that in Sticker Star once, because I was too stubborn to reset, and what do you know - the game even COMPLAINED I should've used the proper Thing card afterwards, holy poo poo :mad:

I guess we'll see. I like how the reception seems to be pretty positive so far.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Kevyn posted:

:yeah:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Kevyn posted:

That game was far more fun than it had any right to be.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Personally, and this is just my professional opinion here folks, but I think The Legend of Goemon is due for a new game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I'm thinking new Pocky and Rocky game personally and professionally and spiritually.

SomewhatMystia
Sep 9, 2016

I'm also somewhat hungry.

Reiley posted:

Personally, and this is just my professional opinion here folks, but I think The Legend of Goemon is due for a new game.

There have been a fair few (I think the latest one I know of was on the DS?), but they never end up outside of Japan. I'd kill for a new one, preferably in the style of Goemon's Great Adventure. Although I would miss the 'holy poo poo, look at all the places to go' feeling I got from the first one on N64.

I would also 100% buy a new Pocky and Rocky game.

It'd be nice to get another F-Zero game, too. I still want them to fully embrace Falcon's hamminess and just go full-on sentai beat 'em up or something with it.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

It is most definitely time for a new Wario game.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

It is most definitely time for a new Wario game.

Yeah that's fine and all. Oh, don't mind me, I'll just wait here and see when the next console Animal Crossing gets released.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

a.lo posted:

Yeah that's fine and all. Oh, don't mind me, I'll just wait here and see when the next console Animal Crossing gets released.

there is a mobile app coming from dena and thats it. the series is dead

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

zolthorg posted:

Naw, they said there would be regular games in the future.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
We're almost at the end of the month and still no announcement. Nintendo is trolling us so hard right now.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

October is next month, my camel case named friend.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

zolthorg posted:

Animal Crossing is one of Nintendo's most consistent money makers so maybe you don't know what the hell you're talking about for a change??

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

codenameFANGIO posted:

Animal Crossing is one of Nintendo's most consistent money makers so maybe you don't know what the hell you're talking about for a change??

the team is busy on splatoon and the last game they put out was happy-nihilism-designer which had some trivial interior decorating improvements but nothing mattered. we know theres an app coming and it potentially is going to be fake feeling social features and daily gashapon trash like miitomo.

theyve even given up on the joy of interacting with the world with th public works projects and with the selling you villagers as amiibo card gachapon trading pack microtransactions where you get to just tap and pick your villagers like a dictator

i bought my wii u months before smash because "this animal crossing plaza thing is out so the animal crossing game MUST be out soon" but after playing hhd and new leaf i stopped caring

when the team doesnt have to make essentially the same game every four years they came up with splatoon which has all the world and life charm of the ac series but also meaningful gameplay

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

happy home designer was fun

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

zolthorg posted:

the team is busy on splatoon and the last game they put out was happy-nihilism-designer which had some trivial interior decorating improvements but nothing mattered. we know theres an app coming and it potentially is going to be fake feeling social features and daily gashapon trash like miitomo.

theyve even given up on the joy of interacting with the world with th public works projects and with the selling you villagers as amiibo card gachapon trading pack microtransactions where you get to just tap and pick your villagers like a dictator

i bought my wii u months before smash because "this animal crossing plaza thing is out so the animal crossing game MUST be out soon" but after playing hhd and new leaf i stopped caring

when the team doesnt have to make essentially the same game every four years they came up with splatoon which has all the world and life charm of the ac series but also meaningful gameplay

There will be more Animal
Crossing games, because they make Nintendo a lot of money. :geno:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Super Mario Run is coming. Nintendo is putting all of their resources into Mario phone games now. Mario is dead.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XirImHCd9Q

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Hey, weren't we getting a Fire Emblem and an Animal Crossing mobile game this fall? It's almost October, Nintendo can tell us about those too while we're learning all this great NX information.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

There's a mini Nintendo Direct coming about Dead Gay Animal Crossing coming soon so I don't think they'll tie any of those announcements to NX

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Bean posted:

Hey, weren't we getting a Fire Emblem and an Animal Crossing mobile game this fall? It's almost October, Nintendo can tell us about those too while we're learning all this great NX information.

Fairly sure they announced those were postponed for next year during/right after the announcement of iPhone Mario.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

What the hell is a Wii Uhhhhh?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

codenameFANGIO posted:

Super Mario Run is coming. Nintendo is putting all of their resources into Mario phone games now. Mario is dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ0JPyAk52o

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Kevyn posted:

I prefer the bogan version; HSV Adventure Racing.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

bloodychill posted:

I'm thinking new Pocky and Rocky game personally and professionally and spiritually.

They need to get back to their roots with an open world adventure shmup.

Edit:
Ha ha ha, they're releasing a new game for the Wild Guns series, so I guess there's a chance.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 25, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SomewhatMystia posted:

There have been a fair few (I think the latest one I know of was on the DS?), but they never end up outside of Japan. I'd kill for a new one, preferably in the style of Goemon's Great Adventure. Although I would miss the 'holy poo poo, look at all the places to go' feeling I got from the first one on N64.

The first one was on SNES. The first one in the US, anyway.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

Yeah, the first one was on the MSX, but we didn't get any until the first SNES one, and that was only one of the four Goemon games on the Super Famicom and the only one they brought over.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bean posted:

They already said they're pushing those back to spring, back when they announced Mario run for December.

SomewhatMystia
Sep 9, 2016

I'm also somewhat hungry.

raditts posted:

My bad, my phrasing was poor there! I meant the first of the two that were on N64. I've got fond memories of the SNES one that we got, but never made it too far in.

And regarding FE Mobile, I'm cautiously optimistic for it. Fire Emblem feels like the kind of game that could actually do pretty well on mobile devices. Not sure how I feel about Animal Crossing, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Fire Emblem is the sort of thing that should control just fine on mobile, but I don't know if we've seen anything on it suggesting what sort of effort will be put into it so I'm more inclined to be pessimistic. I'd play a full featured FE game like FE7/8 on mobile because they auto-save constantly and thus are perfectly fine for a few minutes here a few minutes there, but I wouldn't be too hot on "we made this super simplified thing as a taste-test for people". I'd bet more on getting the latter than the former since they want their phone games to grow audiences on their products instead of sell to the same audience on a different product that they aren't getting a full-cut on.

• Locked thread