Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Rorus Raz posted:

If you mean the canned replies, you can customize those in the Watch app.

He's talking about the "suggested replies" Apple throws you like five replies it thinks might fit before the customisable canned replies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there a way to turn off Breathe? It annoying to get reminded that when I'm working.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Rirse posted:

Is there a way to turn off Breathe? It annoying to get reminded that when I'm working.

Yes, go into its settings in your watch app.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Stand isn't too bad because I know it happens ten minutes before every hour if you haven't been standing, but breathe is fairly random except post-workout.

Also, Dark Sky is great. Just grabbed it today.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I spent literally 5 years waffling on spending 4 dollars on dark sky. When it finally happened I felt true peace.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Rirse posted:

I'm an advocate for Breathe and feel like one of the main uses for it is during work hours, when taking a breath is usually really positive and healthy.

Unfortunately for Apple, few people seem to be into it, but it really does help.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

I'm an advocate for Breathe and feel like one of the main uses for it is during work hours, when taking a breath is usually really positive and healthy.

Unfortunately for Apple, few people seem to be into it, but it really does help.

Working in a crazy retail environment, I'm a fan. It's still hard to remember to use it, but it's def very good.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dark Sky is a really cool app but the weather is always off for my location. Yesterday it said it was 5 degrees hotter than what my outdoor thermometer and the stock weather app was reporting.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

Dark Sky is a really cool app but the weather is always off for my location. Yesterday it said it was 5 degrees hotter than what my outdoor thermometer and the stock weather app was reporting.

Just ran into that in Europe. Had the modular face on with stock on F and dark sky on C. They didn't match at all.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Per advice earlier I went ahead and returned the original last night and picked up an S1. The new processor makes a quite noticeable difference and I feel it was a good call overall to upgrade, especially for the price difference. I might return it in a couple weeks for an S2 if I feel the need to swim with this on or just never worry about it getting wet.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I just use weather underground. It seems pretty accurate.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Is there a fix for apps that won't load? Strava and Wunderground both spin for a few seconds then seem to crash.

I've tried rebooting the watch and I've tried reinstalling both apps to the watch.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

:lol: Apple sent me a satisfaction survey about my watch buying experience.

This is gonna be good.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

housefly posted:

Per advice earlier I went ahead and returned the original last night and picked up an S1. The new processor makes a quite noticeable difference and I feel it was a good call overall to upgrade, especially for the price difference. I might return it in a couple weeks for an S2 if I feel the need to swim with this on or just never worry about it getting wet.
The og watch was surprisingly water resistant and people reported swimming with it just fine. Of course, there's no guarantees here, and some people have hosed up their watches by pushing it too far. I guess what I'm saying is that water resistant is not a huge deal unless you swim on a regular basis. The S1 will live up to day-to-day water encounters such as rain and handwashing. Or showers if you're a weirdo like Tim Cook.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Rorus Raz posted:

The og watch was surprisingly water resistant and people reported swimming with it just fine. Of course, there's no guarantees here, and some people have hosed up their watches by pushing it too far. I guess what I'm saying is that water resistant is not a huge deal unless you swim on a regular basis. The S1 will live up to day-to-day water encounters such as rain and handwashing. Or showers if you're a weirdo like Tim Cook.

Yeah I know. Really I want an excuse to get back into swimming regularly. I did it forever ago and dropped a poo poo ton of weight from swimming a mile or more daily five days a week (like lost 160lbs in a year). I've kept it off, but haven't swam in forever. I guess I'm just looking for an excuse to start going again on a regular basis and a nice new shiny water resistant watch that tracks my swimming would be clutch for that.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
They quote Deepak Chopra in order to espouse the benefits of Breathe. That tells you pretty much everything you need to know. Pseudoscience is bad.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

Is there a fix for apps that won't load? Strava and Wunderground both spin for a few seconds then seem to crash.

I've tried rebooting the watch and I've tried reinstalling both apps to the watch.
I've had the same thing with a few apps (Messenger, Fantastical, HeartWatch)...then they started working fine at some point :iiam:. Maybe try rebooting the phone too, running the apps on the phone then watch, or I dunno, just keep trying.

housefly posted:

Yeah I know. Really I want an excuse to get back into swimming regularly. I did it forever ago and dropped a poo poo ton of weight from swimming a mile or more daily five days a week (like lost 160lbs in a year). I've kept it off, but haven't swam in forever. I guess I'm just looking for an excuse to start going again on a regular basis and a nice new shiny water resistant watch that tracks my swimming would be clutch for that.
If it's like the first the main issue is the speaker I think. If you don't give a drat about that you can go for it, but along with the better water rating and speaker water ejection, the new one has the specific tracking for swimming.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Are there any clues as to what the next AW will be like? The next iPhone is rumored to be a brand new thing, but I don't think I'm opting in for the new AW.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

They'll probably release something with better battery/internals/waterproofing. If they do a redesign, it would likely just a round case because I know people aren't keen on the square face. They could do something out of left field, like unlocking the port to developers and allowing for smart bands. Someone was already working on a band that acted as a spare battery, and giving the watch more longevity would be the most popular use for smart bands on the AW by far.

But I dunno if they can do a yearly iteration like the phones. Right now I think the big thing with smart watches is improving upon the software. I think Pebble still has a better UI than the watch.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I kinda want new one because it's new and only that. I have no real interest in anything else it offers. I could sell my current for like 150 or whatever and then just pay the remaining 250, but I'm still weighing the options, personally, if it's worth it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I wouldn't expect the rumor mill to start up until next year. I feel like the only reason the iPhone 2017 is getting rumors is because it's the ten-year anniversary so of course Apple HAS to do something amazing.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Wheezle posted:

They quote Deepak Chopra in order to espouse the benefits of Breathe. That tells you pretty much everything you need to know. Pseudoscience is bad.

I'm confused, are you questioning the assertion that a quick breathing exercise is beneficial? Or are you referring specifically to Deepak's claim that breathing exercises can have long-term health benefits?

If the former, then I respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree. If the latter, then fair enough.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I actually think breathing does have long term health benefits.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

rear end Catchcum posted:

I've heard from uh therapists (or psychologists? I forget) that people with clinical anxiety don't breathe enough or something, like not just during panic attacks. So I guess a regular breathing routine can help them.

vvvvv :psyduck:

japtor fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 25, 2016

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

rear end Catchcum posted:

That is the standard dumb joke that every nerd in the world thinks they invented when talking about Breathe.

Get it, because breathing, and the app is called breathe? Hah

Seriously though, I think this is hard for nerds to reconcile in the same way that the Apple Watch itself is hard to reconcile for so many people who are deeply embedded in tech.

What I mean is, for example, there's a whole contingent of people who keep saying "the Apple Watch is useless". This is objectively true, in a way... there's very little that you can do with the watch that you can't do with your iphone.

But ultimately these people have no concept of a tech item also being a fashion accessory. So they fail to see the true value. The only reason I even have an Apple Watch was a friend of mine sold me his because he literally has no concept of what it is to dress nice, take pride in your appearance, etc. so to him, the watch is a useless item. To me, it's become an indispensable part of my wardrobe and I have like 8 different bands that I coordinate with my clothes. So my internal calculus of the Watch's value is very different than his.

In the same way, a lot of people who are really deep in the tech world see no value in things like meditation. They tend to lump controlled breathing into the same pseudoscience category as Dr. Oz, because to them, it's all the same.And they miss out on some cool stuff as a result.

My point is this: take a holistic approach to new things that goes beyond the ultimately small world of technology. Don't dismiss new experiences. Try to see the value of things that sit outside of your immediate purview. Tech is a closed silo that can close us off to new experiences more than it opens us up.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

It was just a joke.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

Taima posted:

That is the standard dumb joke that every nerd in the world thinks they invented when talking about Breathe.

Seriously though, I think this is hard for nerds to reconcile in the same way that the Apple Watch itself is hard to reconcile for so many people who are deeply embedded in tech.

What I mean is, for example, there's a whole contingent of people who keep saying "the Apple Watch is useless". This is objectively true, in a way... there's very little that you can do with the watch that you can't do with your iphone.

But ultimately these people have no concept of a tech item also being a fashion accessory. So they fail to see the true value. The only reason I even have an Apple Watch was a friend of mine sold me his because he literally has no concept of what it is to dress nice, take pride in your appearance, etc. so to him, the watch is a useless item. To me, it's become an indispensable part of my wardrobe and I have like 8 different bands that I coordinate with my clothes. So my internal calculus of the Watch's value is very different than his.

In the same way, a lot of people who are really deep in the tech world see no value in things like meditation. They tend to lump controlled breathing into the same pseudoscience category as Dr. Oz, because to them, it's all the same.And they miss out on some cool stuff as a result.

My point is this: take a holistic approach to new things that goes beyond the ultimately small world of technology. Don't dismiss new experiences. Try to see the value of things that sit outside of your immediate purview. Tech is a closed silo that can close us off to new experiences more than it opens us up.

Sir, this is a McDonald's drive-through window.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Taima posted:

How long has Breathe been out? There's already a hack joke that's been done so much it causes you to write 19x as many sentences as I did? Also congrats on touring the world comedy club circuit and letting me know which jokes are passé.

Seems like you need to breathe.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Also your Apple Watch isn't the be all end all of fashion you loving pathetic nerd.

say tan
Sep 25, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!
I can't seem to discover the answer to this. Likely because it hasn't really happened. Since your phone can support multiple watches, do the activity rings sync up between the two?

I have a s0 SS watch and am getting an aluminum s2. I'm considering keeping the SS one for fancier dress and having the aluminum as my daily wearer.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Taima posted:

Same.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I non-sarcastically agree. Tech journalists tend to go for obvious dumb jokes about stuff like Breathe.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

milkaxor posted:

I can't seem to discover the answer to this. Likely because it hasn't really happened. Since your phone can support multiple watches, do the activity rings sync up between the two?

I have a s0 SS watch and am getting an aluminum s2. I'm considering keeping the SS one for fancier dress and having the aluminum as my daily wearer.

That's a good question! I had no idea you could have multiple watches.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

milkaxor posted:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205792 posted:

Switch between watches

Only one Apple Watch can be active at a time. To switch, take off your current watch, put on another one, then raise your wrist or move your arm. watchOS doesn't support wearing two watches at once, and it doesn't support sharing watches between multiple users at the same time.
Your watches share Activity and Workout information, so your progress automatically updates after you switch. If you put on a different watch to work out, you can still see all your steps, stand credit, and exercise credit for the day. Depending on how much information needs to sync, it might take a minute for you to see all your progress.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

Kaizoku posted:

Definitive answer

This is awesome. Thanks!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I got black because when I got my Pebble Time I went with a red band because it was like 10 bucks cheaper and...that was a mistake.

Probably going to get some bands with whatever holiday money I get.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have a few leather bands arriving from Amazon on Monday for the watch that Apple won't ship me until late October :(

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Rorus Raz posted:

They'll probably release something with better battery/internals/waterproofing. If they do a redesign, it would likely just a round case because I know people aren't keen on the square face. They could do something out of left field, like unlocking the port to developers and allowing for smart bands. Someone was already working on a band that acted as a spare battery, and giving the watch more longevity would be the most popular use for smart bands on the AW by far.

But I dunno if they can do a yearly iteration like the phones. Right now I think the big thing with smart watches is improving upon the software. I think Pebble still has a better UI than the watch.

Who wants a round face? The square face is perfect for what the watch is used for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Biodome posted:

Who wants a round face? The square face is perfect for what the watch is used for.

Seriously round face can eat poo poo. It's a devalued relic of time.

• Locked thread