Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Should I just go ahead and suggest The Dollop cover the history of the Oxnard Police Department?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Police are an armed gang, surprising no one.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

SlimGoodbody posted:

Police are an armed gang, surprising no one.
Sadly even with the exposes, testimony, etc, many people still refuse to accept that it is happening. Police gangs are the same as "the climate change myth" to some people.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

FRINGE posted:

Sadly even with the exposes, testimony, etc, many people still refuse to accept that it is happening. Police gangs are the same as "the climate change myth" to some people.

"rampart scandal what's that?"

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Instant Sunrise posted:

"rampart scandal what's that?"

A few bad apples :v:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

FCKGW posted:

A few bad apples :v:
Out of the subset of "employed police officers in the US", its a lovely boatload apples.

He Says He Shot 6-Year-Old Dead In Self-Defense - September 24, 2016
http://www.alternet.org/human-rights/louisiana-cop-charged-murder-he-says-he-shot-6-year-old-dead-self-defense

Its a neverending stream of stories.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We've equipped our police as if they were in Fallujah, and relentlessly bombard our culture with entertainment shows that say our streets are awash in terrorists and school shooters, we've got a political party that's spent eight years blowing racist dog whistles because they don't quite want to say the president's bad because he's black but that's what they're saying, our police academies actively look for candidates who aren't smart enough to want a better job, our cops are almost universally stuck in squad cars segregated from the communities they're supposed to serve, and the mechanisms that are supposed to oversee and reign in police abuses are blatantly nonfunctional.

And who wants to be a cop? Authoritarians who feel powerless and realize that becoming a police officer is a way to gain significant power over others.

It's not a few bad apples, it's a government-sanctioned taxpayer funded militia given virtually free reign to bust heads as long as they don't do it to middle class white people or anyone who is rich. I don't have much sympathy, even for "the good ones" because if those good ones wanted to actually serve their communities and protect people, they could have been EMTs or firefighters or social workers or any of dozens of other jobs that don't involve being given a gun, some handcuffs, a couple hundred thousand dollars in paramilitary equipment, and permission to make people (as long as they're poor or ethnic) obey their commands on pain of death.

I haven't had that many encounters with the police (I'm white and middle class) but those I have encountered have mostly seemed like good cops. That's an illusion though, because why did they become cops, given the state of police departments today? They're either hopelessly naive to think that, even after their training and exposure to what the job actually entails, they're honestly serving and protecting their communities and creating a more just society; or they're police and nice to me, a middle class white person, as a nice break between oppressing minorities and getting off on their batman-style utility belt with their gun and their cuffs and their special cop radio they get to say cop things on and all the just piles and piles of people in their lives who unswervingly praise them for their sacrifice to duty etc. etc. because even now, today, in this country, with what's been going on, there's still this tremendously unshakable faith by a large majority that merely becoming a cop makes you a loving hero.

e. I mean for gently caress's sake, it takes two years of training to become a dental assistant, but six months to be given the responsibility and privilege of executing people who you think might be about to do something bad.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 24, 2016

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008
Wait, Oxnard is real? I thought it was just a made-up bogeyman to scare people from Camarillo... I kid, I kid. But seriously, that range exception makes the law even more useless than before. Go to the range, but a 200 rounds (4 boxes, a pretty unremarkable quantity), shoot 100 of em, take the rest home. Not exactly rocket surgery.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
In the ongoing brawl that is the 17th Congressional District, Mike Honda has filed suit against Ro Khanna after it was revealed that Khanna's long-time campaign manager illegally accessed Mike Honda's fundraising information in 2012 and used it to target Honda's supporters. Khanna's campaign manager resigned following the revelation. (Khanna is expected to beat Honda in November)

In other news, California's death penalty is very probably going nowhere.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really do hope and believe I will see the end of the death penalty nationwide before I die.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

Gun ownership does, in fact, endanger both the owner and other people.

Oh, when firearms are more common, they show up more often in homicides and suicides? :bravo: You have managed a conclusion that is barely removed from a tautology!

Unfortunately, it doesn't actually tell us about whether the availability of firearms makes us less safe. It doesn't address the actual homicide rate or violent crime rate in those places.
Here's US states color coded by homicide rate quintile (dark blue is the lowest 20%, dark red the highest.)

Wyoming, Idaho and the Dakotas, despite being way on the right of the "firearms ownership" graph, have some of the lowest homicide rates in the nation. :sad:
So, while you're way less likely to get murdered in Idaho than in California, it's more likely that your murderer will use a gun in Idaho, if it is important for you to know that you weren't killed by an evil gun. You'll note that California, Illinois, Maryland, New Jersey and D.C. all manage to be in the top 40% of murder rates despite their strict gun laws. Unfortunately, strict gun control isn't correlated to access to guns, which isn't correlated to homicide rate.

You know what is strongly correlated with homicide rate? Poverty!

It's almost like reducing poverty is what actually makes people safer, but people focus on guns instead because they've turned it into a moral issue and want to punish people they don't like.

BTW, this trend is true on the international level too. Here's a chart from 1994 of the 25 non-US countries considered "highly developed" by the OECD*, comparing intentional homicide rate and percentage of suicides completed with a firearm (as a good but imperfect indicator of firearms availability).

There isn't any correlation. I can post the data set if you want to calculate the P value yourself.

*because when you point out that Brazil and Mexico have super strict gun laws but bonkers homicide rates, people complain that they shouldn't count for some reason

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FRINGE posted:

Out of the subset of "employed police officers in the US", its a lovely boatload apples.

what i really like about this phrase is how often people get the meaning exactly wrong

as if the point of the idiom is that a few bad apples are totally fine and not a big deal and certainly aren't capable of accelerating the rest of the bunch into quickly rotting

nope, they're just a few bad apples they aren't indicative of anything larger

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Now skittles, on the other hand...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ComradeCosmobot posted:

In the ongoing brawl that is the 17th Congressional District, Mike Honda has filed suit against Ro Khanna after it was revealed that Khanna's long-time campaign manager illegally accessed Mike Honda's fundraising information in 2012 and used it to target Honda's supporters. Khanna's campaign manager resigned following the revelation. (Khanna is expected to beat Honda in November)
Hah. That sad fucker Khanna had to hack his way to a victory?
At least he wasn't LARPing homeless like a few years back.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

what i really like about this phrase is how often people get the meaning exactly wrong

as if the point of the idiom is that a few bad apples are totally fine and not a big deal and certainly aren't capable of accelerating the rest of the bunch into quickly rotting

nope, they're just a few bad apples they aren't indicative of anything larger

Hrmm, where could this come from...

quote:

English
Etymology

From the proverb "one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch" (or a variant thereof).
Noun

bad apple ‎(plural bad apples)

(idiomatic) A person who is not wholesome, honest, or trustworthy, especially one who has an adverse influence on others.  [quotations ▼]

Synonyms

rotten apple

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
The phrase is totally apt, because 99% of the time it is used in reference to officers who have been disciplined or fired. No one says, "We have a few bad apples on the force, but fortunately they've been cleared of all wrong-doing and we're keeping them on."

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dead Reckoning posted:

The phrase is totally apt, because 99% of the time it is used in reference to officers who have been disciplined or fired. No one says, "We have a few bad apples on the force, but fortunately they've been cleared of all wrong-doing and we're keeping them on."

You uh, don't pay much attention to the news, do you?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

You uh, don't pay much attention to the news, do you?

No, see, when they're excused or acquitted or all charges are dismissed or handwaved away, they must not have been bad apples after all.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
As long as we all agree that poor whites successfully killing themselves is a net good we can table the gun chat.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007
some of the posters in favor of the ammo law here are ridiculous, like just admit you hate guns and want them all banned you don't have to go through these insane logical contortions to try and justify your position. "the ammo law is a good idea because maybe it'll somehow stop people who have already circumvented the harder-to-circumvent (but still completely ineffective*) gun laws". seriously, how do you post that?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

semper wifi posted:

some of the posters in favor of the ammo law here are ridiculous, like just admit you hate guns and want them all banned you don't have to go through these insane logical contortions to try and justify your position. "the ammo law is a good idea because maybe it'll somehow stop people who have already circumvented the harder-to-circumvent (but still completely ineffective*) gun laws". seriously, how do you post that?

Nope I don't hate guns (skeet skeet mofo) and I don't want them banned but I still think the ammo law is a good idea.

But since I've already posted reasonable answers to your strawman version of my argument, there's no point in rehashing everything.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Looks like the key is to keep gun ownership under 20%

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hate guns and I want them all banned.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I hate guns and would prefer a Japan style registry and storage system.

I also enjoy lattes. I am the NRA's scariest strawman.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Nope I don't hate guns (skeet skeet mofo) and I don't want them banned but I still think the ammo law is a good idea.

But since I've already posted reasonable answers to your strawman version of my argument, there's no point in rehashing everything.

you'd catch only a very few idiots, it's not like getting convicted of a felony is something that you forget about. it's also not feasible to detect straw purchases, i've had like 20 people buy ammo for me over the years and i don't really take that many people shooting. even if you were right and the law actually works (and believe me we're deep into the fantasy realm here, in the universe where the law works there's definitely wizards and dragons there too) how do you think the guns get taken? who do you think they get taken from? your position on this is completely at odds with your stance regarding minorities/the poor and the police. how exactly do you think, say, the LAPD will go about confiscating firearms from black felons they know to be armed? given that the current gun laws are known to be totally ineffective when it comes to reducing murder rates and the demographics of prohibited possessors i'd bet that active enforcement (meaning proactive confiscations) of this law would actually kill more black men than it would save.

FilthyImp posted:

I hate guns and would prefer a Japan style registry and storage system.

I also enjoy lattes. I am the NRA's scariest strawman.

didnt some dude stab like 20 people to death in japan just this year

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

How does background checks on ammo force the LAPD to confiscate guns from black people again?

Also if you wanted to pretend you were interested in discussion, next time don't start by saying "if you disagree with me on the efficacy of this policy you must hate guns"

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

How does background checks on ammo force the LAPD to confiscate guns from black people again?

? if you don't confiscate guns from prohibited possessors who try to buy ammo then what's the point of the law? your argument is even worse than i thought it was dude, goddamn. that these hypothetical murderous felons are going to try buy ammo for their stolen gun, get turned away, kick at the dirt and say "aw shucks, guess i can't ventilate c-loc after all"?

edit: it's because it's so obvious that it won't do anything, just like the rest of the worthless gun control laws on the books, and yet people still push for passing it. your motivation cannot be to reduce crime, so what's that leave besides a vendetta against gun owners or at least a desire to reduce participation in the shooting sports.

semper wifi fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 26, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

semper wifi posted:

? if you don't confiscate guns from prohibited possessors who try to buy ammo then what's the point of the law? your argument is even worse than i thought it was dude, goddamn. that these hypothetical murderous felons are going to try buy ammo for their stolen gun, get turned away, kick at the dirt and say "aw shucks, guess i can't ventilate c-loc after all"?

So you're admitting the law would successfully stop prohibited prossessors now? Glad we've found agreement on that.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

And your edit falls back to the "anyone who disagrees with me must hate guns" rather than accepting we view efficacy of these programs differently.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

semper wifi posted:

Huh I didn't hear about that but if that's the case, gun owners can just switch to knives since they're clearly just as effective.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Huh I didn't hear about that but if that's the case, gun owners can just switch to knives since they're clearly just as effective.

For general murder and terrorist attacks, probably. Good thing thats not the legally accepted and moral uses, like self defense, hunting, and sport that we're talking about, is it?

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 26, 2016

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

So you're admitting the law would successfully stop prohibited prossessors now? Glad we've found agreement on that.

i'm sure the law would function, as in it would prevent prohibited possessors from purchasing ammo for themselves in state. i trust even the CADOJ that far. however it will absolutely not keep them from acquiring the ammo in some other way.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

On December 14, 2012, Adam Lanza shot 30 people in Sandy Hook, killing 28 people including a bunch of little kids.

On that EXACT SAME DAY in China, someone went on a stabbing rampage at an elementary school. He stabbed 23 children and one elderly woman. No one ended up dying.

Just get rid of these loving murder tools already.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

semper wifi posted:

I've already said I'll vote for any bullshit gun law until the 2nd is repealed. You meatheads still try and tell me that won't solve any problems.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

semper wifi posted:

Yup.

He attacked a facility for disabled people and broke into their rooms to assault them. if it matters, I mean.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This discussion reminded me of a friend who argued you could kill as many people with a sword and with as much ease as you could with a gun. This was during a rash of Chinese farmers stabbing groups of school kids.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

RandomPauI posted:

This discussion reminded me of a friend who argued you could kill as many people with a sword and with as much ease as you could with a gun. This was during a rash of Chinese farmers stabbing groups of school kids.

If you were literally a Protoss Zealot with leg implants to RUN FAST, maybe. And even then you can only chase one fucker down at a time.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

FCKGW posted:

I've already said I'll vote for any bullshit gun law until the 2nd is repealed. You meatheads still try and tell me that won't solve any problems.

I'm for gun control and I know that voting in bullshit laws like this only hurt our cause in the long run. Let another state be the guinea pig for the ammo regulation; and you can go live there instead.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

FCKGW posted:

It won't solve any problems. Until we address some serious police and government reforms that perpetuate racism/poverty and victimize already oppressed populations, violence will not cease.

Even repealing the 2nd amendment won't stop the violence

These laws will give one more weapon for cops to oppress POCS with, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm for 2nd repeal and full confiscation of all guns actually.

It was also the worst mass killings in Japan since WW loving 2, a stat that Americans can only hope to acheive some day.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 26, 2016