Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Back in the hot minute I played Battlefront, they forced you to watch your experience bar fill up between matches. You couldn't push a button to skip or even speed up the filling animation. This actually actively cut into time I would have spent on my loadout, and the next match would often have already started by the time I was done with that screen

battlefront let you change your loadout before the match?

I remember bf4 not even letting you look at it outside of a match unless you were on their loving website

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I said come in! posted:

This game looks really awful.

Counterpoint: it looks fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n4GJeYtab0

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i'll play it next year probably if it turns out to be good.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I can't speak for fun...but it sure is fuckin ugly.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I can't speak for fun...but it sure is fuckin ugly.

Turn on your monitor.

But seriously how is it ugly? It looks great? Ubisoft games rarely don't look spectacular.

I don't wanna come off as some WunderscoreD fanboy because I admit the first was a turd in a lot of ways but it feels like people just want to hate this.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

But seriously how is it ugly? It looks great? Ubisoft games rarely don't look spectacular.

you need to imagine ubi graphics pre-release look 30% worse because when the game comes out it will.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

We're past the e3 trailer phase tho, we got real (PC) gameplay. It will only be 20% worse. On a PS4 Pro.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It's art direction is butt ugly.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they say in the video that they're playing the game on ps4, so the ingame footage is what the game is gonna look like at release

it looks fine to me but I'm not buying a watchunderscoredogs sequel until its been released and I've seen reviews. even then I probably won't

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

We're past the e3 trailer phase tho, we got real (PC) gameplay. It will only be 20% worse. On a PS4 Pro.

Previews like the gb quicklook were Captured from ubisoft's hardware. :tinfoil:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I've been playing Dying Light recently(it's really good) and it's hard to believe that it's by the same devs that made Dead Island. Did they get a new studio lead or something?

Casual Combustion
Jan 12, 2003

Having paid $5 for watch_dogs, as god intended, I thought the gameplay mechanics were enough to keep me entertained for a while, the multiplayer also had a neat invasion mechanic. if they keep that up there's no reason the second one wouldn't be at least serviceable.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

SKYMALL SCRILLA posted:

Having paid $5 for watch_dogs, as god intended, I thought the gameplay mechanics were enough to keep me entertained for a while, the multiplayer also had a neat invasion mechanic. if they keep that up there's no reason the second one wouldn't be at least serviceable.

Exactly this: No one is forcing you to buy it for 100 euro with the Season Pass. Wait for reviews. Wait for a sale.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm going to rent WunderscoreD 2 because red box will probably have it on release day.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Mafia 3 shaping up to be any good? I didn't play 2 because I heard it was a chopped up mess of trying to get you to buy DLC

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

Mafia 3 shaping up to be any good? I didn't play 2 because I heard it was a chopped up mess of trying to get you to buy DLC

3 is a mostly completely different studio so it's kind of hard to judge. The "mostly" is because apparently they have some of the people who worked on 2 but other than that its new people.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

ElwoodCuse posted:

Everything I've heard about it sounds good. They're doing something interesting with the story, and there's this territory mechanic where you have to keep your underlings happy by giving them control. Gonna wait on it to come out, but it sounds alright.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've never played mafia, but from what I have seen of 3 I don't see what sets it apart from any other open world game. Does mafia have a gameplay hook or is it pretty much a GTA clone?

The setting is cool and it looks good though. I'll probably play it somewhere along the line. Too much stuff coming out the next few months though.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Wacky Delly posted:

Everything I've heard about it sounds good. They're doing something interesting with the story, and there's this territory mechanic where you have to keep your underlings happy by giving them control. Gonna wait on it to come out, but it sounds alright.

Territory mechanic like the one in San Andreas? Because that poo poo was annoying.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Schremp Howard posted:

Territory mechanic like the one in San Andreas? Because that poo poo was annoying.

no its more like every time you take over a territory you choose to give control to one of your 3 underbosses who give you different bonuses, and you have to make sure not to neglect one boss too much or they'll leave your game permanently

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing that set the first Mafia game apart from GTA clones was that it tried to have a more realistic game world. So, for example, if you were speeding/run a red light by a cop they would pull you over and try to give you a ticket. Now this wasn't actually any fun but it did set the game apart. Also the first game had a horrible section midway through the story where you had to race in one of those old timey race cars and you had to come in first, which was almost impossible because the driving engine wasn't that great. It was so bad that the devs actually ended up patching the game to let you skip the race.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mafia 2's thing was mostly the setting. It's set just after WW2 which was kind of unique at the time.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Are there any WW2 era FPS games on the PS4? Something like old school Call of Duty or Medal of Honor? Not big on Battlefield 1, want a good single player mission.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FireMrshlBill posted:

Are there any WW2 era FPS games on the PS4? Something like old school Call of Duty or Medal of Honor? Not big on Battlefield 1, want a good single player mission.

You'd still be off-base with Battlefield 1 anyway. It's set in WW1. :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well there's, uh, Wolfenstein.

Kinda lol that there's no WW2 shooters anymore when once upon a time you couldn't move for them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FireMrshlBill posted:

Period shooters have kind of died off, replaced by sci-fi. The closest thing is probably the Sniper Elite series but that isn't really an FPS.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

muscles like this? posted:

The thing that set the first Mafia game apart from GTA clones was that it tried to have a more realistic game world. So, for example, if you were speeding/run a red light by a cop they would pull you over and try to give you a ticket. Now this wasn't actually any fun but it did set the game apart. Also the first game had a horrible section midway through the story where you had to race in one of those old timey race cars and you had to come in first, which was almost impossible because the driving engine wasn't that great. It was so bad that the devs actually ended up patching the game to let you skip the race.

Oh my god that loving race. I beat that goddamn thing after like 1000 tries before the patch dropped.

I had blocked that out of my memory. Thanks for reopening that wound.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Well there's, uh, Wolfenstein.

Kinda lol that there's no WW2 shooters anymore when once upon a time you couldn't move for them.

Now when we want a cohesive identity we kill digital brown people instead of digital white people.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Now when we want a cohesive identity we kill digital brown people instead of digital white people.

Modern day shooters are kind of dying out too. Like what was said before, the current trend is sci-fi shooters against PMCs/Chinese/Aliens. God knows what will be the new big thing once everyone is sick of sci-fi shooters the way everyone got sick of WW2 shooters and everyone is sick of modern day shooters.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Back to WW2 and the cycle is complete

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the cool thing about shooting aliens is you can always make new aliens to shoot

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I just want a new game with a normandy level, that's all I want

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Modern day shooters are kind of dying out too. Like what was said before, the current trend is sci-fi shooters against PMCs/Chinese/Aliens. God knows what will be the new big thing once everyone is sick of sci-fi shooters the way everyone got sick of WW2 shooters and everyone is sick of modern day shooters.

Well, People are making GBS threads their pants over BF1 being WW,1 so it'll probably just be cyclical since developers seem to have a really hard time figuring out original settings for games.

My guess would be that we will see a lot of "alternate"/sci-fi historical shooters soon. Although probably another year or 2 of straight sci-fi.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can't have an original setting for a shooter. There are none left.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Well, People are making GBS threads their pants over BF1 being WW,1 so it'll probably just be cyclical since developers seem to have a really hard time figuring out original settings for games.

My guess would be that we will see a lot of "alternate"/sci-fi historical shooters soon. Although probably another year or 2 of straight sci-fi.

Like Wolfenstein New Order?

I'd kind of want them to go balls to the wall crazy with that concept, like some kind of weird ripple effect where the Roman Empire never fell and it led to some weird poo poo back in the modern day. Knowing my luck though, they'd ape Wolfenstein New Order and just make endless games where Nazis won WW2 or where Russians won the Cold War or some other equally jingoistic nonsense.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Aphrodite posted:

You can't have an original setting for a shooter. There are none left.

A Civil War shooter could be cool

Edit: or the Mexican American war. I want to play an Alamo level

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There was a Civil War shooter last gen.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I think the tepid response to things like CoD:infinite and Titanfall suggests that the majority of gamers prefer shooting brown people to shooting space people.

That depresses me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Those are the only two FPS's I've actually been interested in recently.

Well,apart from Doom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
why can't we just compromise and shoot brown space aliens?

I want to shoot aliens not terrorists. Well alien space terrorists are ok I guess.

• Locked thread